Quarterback Coach

jahbonas

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Exactly. 

I said the the same thing a while back in another thread. 

We know the Bills tried to sign -

Josh McCown -

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/23/report-bills-were-serious-about-josh-mccown-before-he-re-signed-with-jets/

Sam Bradford -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920603/article/buffalo-bills-have-interest-in-qb-sam-bradford

Case Keenum -

According to Steve Tasker they had been trying to sign Derek Anderson all offseason, too. It just took that long to get him to agree. 

Then they finally landed on AJ Maccarron after striking out on the others. 

There very well may have been more Qbs they went after that we didn’t hear about.

It does not matter at all "who they were interested in "  - the bottom line is they landed nobody because they didnt make it a high enough priority (ie offer them more $$$)    - this whole thread is related to what priority (or not priority) they have paid to surrounding our QB with the help to allow more likely  success.  Not paying enough to land a solid veteran QB to play that mentor role just proves they didnt give it high enough priority - similar to QB coach where they threw a WR coach at that role

1 hour ago, jahbonas said:

It does not matter at all "who they were interested in "  - the bottom line is they landed nobody because they didnt make it a high enough priority (ie offer them more $$$)    - this whole thread is related to what priority (or not priority) they have paid to surrounding our QB with the help to allow more likely  success.  Not paying enough to land a solid veteran QB to play that mentor role just proves they didnt give it high enough priority - similar to QB coach where they threw a WR coach at that role

I get what you are saying but I don’t know that it’s always as simple as “just give him more money”.  Without knowing what happens behind the scenes, it’s hard to say how realistic a shot we had at a player. 

For example, Josh McCown preferred to stay in NY, but wanted to be promised the starting job (which they did, at the time of his signing. But then walked that back after landing Darnold). He went out to dinner with the NY Jets decision makers, and When they offered him that contract (they almost doubled his salary from what they paid him in 2017) and told him he’d start, he agreed to sign. 

From what was reported, it doesn’t really sound like he gave other teams (The Bills) a chance to beat it. He got everything he wanted to stay in NY, which was his first preference. So he did. 

Could the Bills have called his agent and offered crazy money right off the bat? Sure. But would people really have been happy if we gave McCown crazy money to come here? 

With Anderson, Tasker said that the Bills has been trying to sign him all offseason but he didn’t want to go through training camp and wanted to spend some time with his family, but said he was interested in coming here. It just took a while. It doean’t sound like it ever had anything to do with the money being offered. 

Bradford got $20M from the Cardinals and from what was said he preferred them to buffalo (supposedly in part due to weather/them playing in a dome, having Larry Fitzgerald and promising him the starting job. They also weren’t looking to trade up in the draft as aggressively as the Bills were. That could have been a factor, too). 

Could Beane have signed him if he was willing to pay more than $20 million this season? Yes, possibly.

I don’t know what their interest was in Keenum, but it’s not hard to see why the Broncos were reportedly his first choice. They did just win a super bowl in the last 3 years, have a much better WR corps than buffalo and they weren’t looking to draft a QB in 2018. 

I am not saying that I disagree with everything you are saying. I have said similar things about drafting such a raw rookie QB and not doing enough to insulate him. 

But we don’t really know for sure what their realistic options were and I, personally, don’t think money was the deciding factor. 

I can’t imaginw that the Bills were among the more attractive options for free agent QBs... 

Everyone knew the Bills were looking to aggressively trade up for a QB. Everyone knew the Bills had crap at wide receiver. Everyone knew that we had just lost half of our o line. I have to believe those were factors that free agent QBs looked at. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jahbonas said:

I agree in that the situation was poorly managed. How did they no know enough about AJM to release/trade him ? was he not mentor back up material? and Bills should have found some VET  as soon as they decided to draft Allen. it's simple math. Beane and even defense minded McD should know that.
but they d'kd that up pretty good.
and the poor evaluation of Peterman ? well that's hard to reconcile considering that he did start  the year before and it was not all roses. He was a practice squad player and some hope.
McD better learn from these many and multiple  hard lessons

• Like (+1) 1