How would have you handled the roster this offseason?

Ramza86

I would have signed Bill Belicheck from the Patriots to be HC and then Sean McVay to be OC.  I would not have signed a DC, because this is the new NFL and defense doesn't matter.  

I would have drafted every player that looks to be doing well (at this point in time)

I would have signed free agency deals to the best free agents, at middle of the road deals, not overpaying, of course. 

Then I would have cut half the roster, even though I didn't have anyone to replace them.  

• Haha (+1) 2

I would have drafted any of the other QBs in round 1. 

I would have made sure we were John Brown's #1 choice. By his own admission he almost signed here but chose Baltimore's one year deal instead (betting on himself). I would have offered him a multi year deal as well as an option for a one year deal if that's what he wanted.

I wouldn't have spent all the cap space for Murphy and Star. I would have found guys that were similarly effective but less proven, on shorter term and lower cap hits and then taken the saved money to help the offense somewhere...anywhere.

14 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I would have signed Bill Belicheck from the Patriots to be HC and then Sean McVay to be OC.  I would not have signed a DC, because this is the new NFL and defense doesn't matter.  

I would have drafted every player that looks to be doing well (at this point in time)

I would have signed free agency deals to the best free agents, at middle of the road deals, not overpaying, of course. 

Then I would have cut half the roster, even though I didn't have anyone to replace them.  

Got my vote lol

Grab Allen or Rosen. (prefered Rosen and still do)

Kept Dareus, Glenn, and Darby.

Re-sign Preston Brown.

Don't draft Edmunds.

Don’t sing Vontae 

Stay at 21 and Grab Billy Price or Isaiah Wynn for the OL. 

Don't sign Murphy or Star.

Signed Brandon Fusco and maybe kept Sentrel. 

See if we could make a run at Josh Kline or Evan Smith. 

Traded for Josh Gordon

Done basically anything else at WR. 

Probably take a run at Teddy B. 

Edited by Mango

Looking back at my posts & research, here's the general skeleton:

QB:

- I wanted to offer a 2 year deal to Fitz worth $4.5M AAV

- If Fitz declined I wanted to sign Derek Anderson or Matt Moore

- Draft Josh Rosen

WR:

- I wanted to target Taylor Gabriel and/or Paul Richardson for a 3-4 year deal worth ~$7.5M AAV (Also considered John Brown here, but more like $6M AAV or less)

- I wanted to re-sign Deonte Thompson for $2M or less

OL:

- I wanted to look at either Jonathan Cooper or Brandon Fusco as a replacement for Ducasse/Incognito

- Draft Tyrell Crosby (OT, Oregon) on day 2

- Draft Scott Quessenberry (C, UCLA) on day 3

RB:

- Draft Rashaad Penny

DL:

- Re-sign Cedric Thornton & Eddie Yarbrough

- Sign Connor Barwin

- Draft Tim Settle (DT, Virginia Tech)

- Draft Duke Ejiofor (DE, Wake Forest)

LB:

- I wanted to re-sign Preston Brown and Ramon Humber

- Draft Fred Warner (LB, BYU) or Oren Burks (LB, Vanderbilt)

DB:

- Re-sign EJ Gaines, Leonard Johnson, Colt Anderson, and Shamarko Thomas

- Sign Tramaine Brock if EJ Gaines didn't want to sign

- Sign Kevin Toliver (CB, LSU)

Draft Picks:

1-7: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1-22: Rashaad Penny, RB, SD State

3-65: Fred Warner, OLB, BYU

3-96: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon

4-121: Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

5-166: Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest

6-187: Scott Quessenberry, C, UCLA - Ended up being gone before this pick... Select Bradley Bozeman, C, Alabama instead

7-255: Kevin Toliver, CB, LSU

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Formatting mistakes and a college error noticed in quote.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

No QB

McBeane going with a 5th round QB from last year who stunk and only backed up by the rawest of the top 5 QB's in this years 1st round was simply idiotic. 

.....and they did this after knowing the 'O' line was in shambles with the loss of Woods and Incognito and the WR's were inept. 

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Just curious. 

Had a lot of holes.

We lost 2 probowl caliber offensive lineman this year

Big holes at LB, DB, DL

Weak WR core.

No QB

Losing both Wood/Incognito to retirement was a huge blow to the offense, the 50M dead cap made it real tough to sign significant FA. I'd have liked to see the team pick up a solid veteran QB like Bradford but in articles I read we actually tried to sign him and he opted for Arizona. There was no savior #1 WR, this team is drafting and developing it looks like which is the proper way to go about having a successful franchise imo. 

I would have kept all of our vets on their crappy contracts so we can go 7-9 for another two decades because I'm dumb.

*EDIT* I also don't know what dead cap is and I'm surprised/angry that we didn't sign everyone this off-season.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 2

They were kind of at a handicap when it came to free agents this off-season. They only had so much money to work with as they're dealing with all the dead cap money from the Whaley era.

That's not to say they didn't attempt to bring in some decent players. So many people get riled up when a player doesn't sign here. Lot of people see a player they recognize coming in for a visit and there's 20 "Don't let him leave the building, OBD!" threads that pop up. People gotta remember, the player has to wanna sign here as well. A player declining an offer or taking an offer somewhere else isn't an indictment on the front office. It isn't a mark of, "Oh, they suck at getting free agents here!" Signing a free agent isn't quite as easy as just calling the guy for a visit and then trying to woo them so much that they wanna sign before the tour of the facilities is over, ya know?

They did try to get better at receiver. They brought in John Brown and made a decent offer from what I recall but most receivers with options aren't going to choose the team with the unsettled QB position. They took a run at Maclin last season. They've inquired on guys that come up on the trade block. Can't win every situation like that, though. I like that they're much more active than past front offices in terms of trades and calling about different players that might be available.

But anyway, to get back to the original question...

I don't have too many adjustments I would make. I really think they're doing this thing the right way. For years, the Bills have consistently been a league-leader in a category you don't wanna lead... which is the percentage of the roster made from homegrown talent. McBeane is definitely working to change that as they aim to build most of the team through the draft. So far they've done pretty well.

I think with the OL, I would've tried to identify my starting five a little quicker than a week before the regular season began. An OL has to have time to gel and create chemistry so they can adjust on the fly and make sure they get in the right protection. Some of their ills are on a rookie QB seeing defensive alignments he's probably never seen before, some of it is also on some players underachieving, but I maintain a good part of it was on the constant tinkering they did during pre-season.

The WR group... obviously they expected more from KB, dunno what's up with that dude. He's in a contract year, has a chance to ball out and earn a nice contract, instead he's playing like a dude that doesn't wanna be here. He strikes me as the kind of player who was never really passionate about the game, but discovered he could play well enough to make some money and is just riding it as far as it takes him. Zay Jones I still have hope for, he's certainly looked better this season, it's just a matter of gaining better timing/chemistry with Allen and being seen more on the field. The rest of the group... ehhh... I would've thrown a nice deal at Deonte Thompson over a guy like Andre Holmes.. I know, special teams and all that but Thompson made some clutch plays last season and I felt like they should've done a bit more to keep him around. But, overall, I think their formula this season was gonna be the same as last: lean on the run and an opportunistic defense, take your shots on offense when you can. Just hasn't played out that way.

TE - I like Clay but I honestly think his body is shot for this game. His knees consistently give him issues, I wonder at times if that gets in his head as he seems to disappear for stretches during games... but also, again, young QB not seeing the entire field just like Tyrod. Had high hopes for Logan Thomas but at this point I think he's just another guy. I've shifted those hopes over to Jason Croom who, I feel, can become a decent player.

RB - I'm good with this group. They'll have to figure out what to do with McCoy this week but as of now, I mean... how much more do you wanna handicap your young QB? Kid doesn't have much to throw to and McCoy is the only playmaker they have. Allen is already in an undesirable situation with a shoddy OL and a lack of weapons, I mean, you gotta be careful not to mess with this kid's psyche. You have to at least show him you have the chops and ability to create a decent situation around him, even in a rebuilding year, because that has to play into the future. Gotta have the kid trusting his front office and coaches that they can surround him with talent and develop it further with coaching. I thought Chris Ivory was a good signing despite a lot of people going bananas over his, "BAH GAWD HE ONLY HAD 2.9 YPC IN JACKSONVILLE!" You can blame that on Douggie "I Refuse to Make Adjustments!" Marrone and his love of the "three yards and a cloud of dust" super duper power run game. Marcus Murphy is OK but he can be upgraded. I expect them to draft a guy in the mid-rounds next year and maybe sign a young back up (maybe another Jacksonville guy, TJ Yeldon has been on my radar for a bit now) that's shown promise but has been behind a more viable starter.

QB - Toughest position to get right. For years we watched other regimes pass up on QB after QB, only taking a late round flier here and there. Signing career backups as band-aids and whatnot. So, I credit this front office with trusting the work they put in on these kids and doing what they needed to do to finally climb up the board and snag who they believe is their franchise guy. I credit them for having trust in their coaches that they can help the kid evolve, but at the same time, I kinda don't have any faith in David Culley... I think the only reason he's here is because he fell off the Reid coaching tree and maybe Reid gave McD a recommendation on the guy but for me, I don't like it. I know he's experienced and all that but I'd go out and try to find a young upstart coach with a head full of new ideas and such. I believe a guy like that would relate to a young QB a lot better than a dude who's spent the last 20 years coaching just about everything else on offense BUT quarterback. But hey, what can you do...

DEFENSE

Eh.. not much I'd change here. I like what they're doing. They have a solid rotation of DL guys, the LBs are coming along and the secondary is one more outside corner away from becoming a top 10 group. I assume the vision here is much the same as it was down in Carolina. Ride a strong defense and the run game and take a chance on a QB who might run hot and cold but always has the ability to make a big play. I feel that with Allen and that's why I understand how they compared him to Cam Newton. Cam is never gonna be the most accurate passer, he's never gonna stay inside the pocket 100% of the time, might hold the ball too long, might make a bad decision here and there, but, will have the trust of his teammates that he can make the play when the game is on the line (unless that play is diving to recover a fumble) and has that ability to make some "wow" plays. 

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Just curious. 

Had a lot of holes.

We lost 2 probowl caliber offensive lineman this year

Big holes at LB, DB, DL

Weak WR core.

No QB

I agree we had so many holes and some were not planned for: the Incognito AWOL debacle, and Wood injury scare/surprise I think really ***** us. hard to run like you thought you could when your two best run blockers are suddenly gone at no fault of your own.

My only suggestions that I really dislike is the cutting Streater and Kerley. Both are better than Holmes, Foster or RayRay. I am so tired of seeing Logan Thomas on the team, he offers nothing that a guy like Croom doesnt offer, but with less ability. Same with Holmes "special team leader/ace" yet I NEVER see him making the big hit, downing the ball at the 1, or none of the great special teams play. I think Taiwan Jones is a crap RB, however I see him involved in special teams as a gunner and has return versatility. Hell Marcus Easley was just as worthless as a WR, but he used to make big stops or hit returners for short gains all the time so I could understand him being on team as a ST ace - with emergency WR duty.

My other problem has been playcalling on both sides of the ball too, MOSTLY offense. I dont understand how you have a RB like McCoy who I would argue is top 5 still maybe top 3 receiving RB in the league (not counting specialty guys like Chris Thompson, just "#1 running backs) and not throw him the damn ball more than 1-2 times a game? Swing passes, screens whatever. Hell I see him line up at WR, but its just a Watkins decoy special - I never see the play designed to get him the ball quickly. Even the defense seems make random "hey this playstyle was working well... they might expect it, so lets just change it to something crap and not adjust." Offense does this is even more though. Look at Minnesota game. Offensive play calling was a lot of quick hitters and getting guys open. Then since the game... we decided "nah that was too good teams are ready for it, lets do the opposite for a few games." Isn't the saying: "If it aint broke, dont fix it?"

58 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Looking back at my posts & research, here's the general skeleton:

QB:

- I wanted to offer a 2 year deal to Fitz worth $4.5M AAV

- If Fitz declined I wanted to sign Derek Anderson or Matt Moore

- Draft Josh Rosen

WR:

- I wanted to target Taylor Gabriel and/or Paul Richardson for a 3-4 year deal worth ~$7.5M AAV (Also considered John Brown here, but more like $6M AAV or less)

- I wanted to re-sign Deonte Thompson for $2M or less

OL:

- I wanted to look at either Jonathan Cooper or Brandon Fusco as a replacement for Ducasse/Incognito

- Draft Tyrell Crosby (OT, Oregon) on day 2

- Draft Scott Quessenberry (C, UCLA) on day 3

RB:

- Draft Rashaad Penny

DL:

- Re-sign Cedric Thornton & Eddie Yarbrough

- Sign Connor Barwin

- Draft Tim Settle (DT, Virginia Tech)

- Draft Duke Ejiofor (DE, Wake Forest)

LB:

- I wanted to re-sign Preston Brown and Ramon Humber

- Draft Fred Warner (LB, BYU) or Oren Burks (LB, Vanderbilt)

DB:

- Re-sign EJ Gaines, Leonard Johnson, Colt Anderson, and Shamarko Thomas

- Sign Tramaine Brock if EJ Gaines didn't want to sign

- Sign Kevin Toliver (CB, LSU)

Draft Picks:

1-7: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

1-22: Rashaad Penny, RB, SD State

3-65: Fred Warner, OLB, Vanderbilt

3-96: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon

4-121: Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

5-166: Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest

6-187: Scott Quessenberry, C, UCLA - Ended up being gone before this pick... Select Bradley Bozeman, C, Alabama instead

7-255: Kevin Toliver, CB, LSU

This is a stellar response that is not getting enough love.  Regardless of your plan, taking the time to outline what you would have done differently (and not just criticizing OBD) is A+ work.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would have started by drafting Mahomes.  Then I would have not traded up ever (probably move down when possible) and draft some (vs no) offensive players.  I would not have traded up for Zay Jones, or Tremain Edmunds or Josh Allen.  I would have not gotten rid of every piece of offensive talent on the roster for the sake of hiring retread Panthers.

Edited by blitzboy54