Favorite Old School Wrestler

ChevyVanMiller

4 hours ago, dhg said:

The Genius

Pretty sure he went by a few names. Leaping Lanny Poffo was another.

He's Randy Savage's brother

I met him last year, he stayed at my hotel while appearing at Comic Con in Niagara Falls, ON. We had a 15 minute conversation about his brother, his career and Vince McMahon. Really nice guy and he really enjoys interacting with fans and keeping the Macho Man's memory alive.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

Nature Boy by far, but since that's too obvious, I will say

giphy.gif

On 10/23/2018 at 4:44 PM, row_33 said:

good old days, Maple Leaf Wrestling followed by Party Game

with the late, great Billy Van. Hilarious House of Frightenstein was epic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Wow, this brought back vague memories of a coach or drill sergeant preaching about Dan Gable. I can't quite remember who it was, but I haven't heard that name again until now.

You have had to meet Dan Gable to truly understand how amazing he is, between him and Carl Sanderson't know if I've never met anybody who can inspire the same emotions just being in your presence.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Met Neil Carr a few times through a friend, couldn't have been fun performing that role.

Economics prof at my undergrad was a WWF referee, would do matches at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton and Maple Leaf Gardens.  Also the squash coach, built like a pear, and on Monday mornings a case of two of beer was presented at his early lecture as part of the bet of beating another varsity athlete. Basically one of the coolest people I have ever met.

As a kid growing up(late 60's & early 70's) here in WNY, I loved wrestling...Dominic DeNucci & Tony Parisi, Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Bobo Brazil, etc...

Whenever I hear this song, which used to be the theme music of Saturday afternoon wrestling, it takes me back to my youth, and love of professional wrestling...

Edited by LabattBlue

33 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

As a kid growing up(late 60's & early 70's) here in WNY, I loved wrestling...Dominic DeNucci & Tony Parisi, Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Bobo Brazil, etc...

Whenever I hear this song, which used to be the theme music of Saturday afternoon wrestling, it takes me back to my youth, and love of professional wrestling...

I really hated Waldo Von Erich. :lol:

Naitch is still my fav, but when I was a kid, it was hard to beat the original Sheik with his manager Abdullah Farouk (aka Grand Wizard)

• Like (+1) 1

Yukon Eric. Good guy to bad guy: Killer Kowalski.

My father was big into watching the wrestling scene in the 50s & 60s.  

Southern Ontario connection:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_Eric

My father was into Germanic names (stationed in Germany during the 50s).  He was going to name me: Gunther (think famous animal/lion tamer Gunther Gebel-Williams)... But when He told his best friend @ a bar one night... His friend said: "If You have a son and name him Gunther, I will never talk to you again!" LoL... So He settled on: Eric... After one of his favorite wrestlers Yukon Eric.  Oh, Yukon Eric supposedly messed up his ear in a match with his villian (mentioned above) & fellow old school wrestler: Killer Kowalski... So I am told. 

Sadly... Yukon Eric committed suicide three years before I was born. But the name still resonated with my dad I guess?  LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois