Why the handling of the QBs wouldn't have changed anything

oldmanfan

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He said the Bills consistently suck.  They made the playoffs last year.  That's a main thing that has to happen to win a SB.

This year lost some linemen and have their rookie QB starting out.  Step back to take ten steps forward.

IF everything from FA signings to draft picks work out AND Allen can actually play QB. That’s a pretty big ask. Perhaps they manage to get some of it right and are back to where they began. The step back could be wasted time that runs out on them. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

IF everything from FA signings to draft picks work out AND Allen can actually play QB. That’s a pretty big ask. Perhaps they manage to get some of it right and are back to where they began. The step back could be wasted time that runs out on them. 

True.  They have cleared a ton of cap space and have a ton of picks.   They're in position.

I think they'll bring in guys like Poyer.  Won't spend tons on any one guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

The thing that stuns me about the whole Josh Allen thing is if you took any fan who knows ANYTHING about football and said "we're a terrible offense and we're drafting a QB number 7 overall, a QB who EVERYONE says is raw and needs a lot of time to develop, how should we handle it?"

I'd guess 99% of those fans would say we need 2 key things in his first year at a minimum:

1. A veteran QB for him to watch and learn from

2. An accomplished QB coach who has some sort of history with developing young guys into good players

Those things aren't complicated or difficult to do. They also don't guarantee that your young QB will develop into an all-pro, but they at least give him a fighting chance. The Bills brass did neither of those things. 

I get that a 5th for AJ was a great offer and don't blame them for going through with it, but why they didn't bring in a vet to replace him when it would have been so cheap to do just boggles the mind. To me that's just pure incompetence, which is also strange because they've done such a great job of developing the defensive guys. I know McDermott is a defensive coach but he has to know a good deal about offense as well.

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

The thing that stuns me about the whole Josh Allen thing is if you took any fan who knows ANYTHING about football and said "we're a terrible offense and we're drafting a QB number 7 overall, a QB who EVERYONE says is raw and needs a lot of time to develop, how should we handle it?"

I'd guess 99% of those fans would say we need 2 key things in his first year at a minimum:

2. An accomplished QB coach who has some sort of history with developing young guys into good players

Those things aren't complicated or difficult to do. They also don't guarantee that your young QB will develop into an all-pro, but they at least give him a fighting chance. The Bills brass did neither of those things. 

I get that a 5th for AJ was a great offer and don't blame them for going through with it, but why they didn't bring in a vet to replace him when it would have been so cheap to do just boggles the mind. To me that's just pure incompetence, which is also strange because they've done such a great job of developing the defensive guys. I know McDermott is a defensive coach but he has to know a good deal about offense as well.

I think there is universal agreement they should have brought a vet in when they trade McCarron

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Or they signed Bridgewater after trading Tyrod and Allen gets his full year sitting and learning like they wanted. 

But their love for Peterman clouded smart decision making in this position group 

By far the smartest move.  Bridgewater was moved when they decided that Darnold was going to be the starter game one.  Their back is Josh McCown who is 39!!!!! years old and there for one reason...... To mentor.  Same thing in Arizona, with Sam Bradford to Mentor Rosen. 

No the Bills decided two 5th rd. young QB's who want to play in the NFL and have careers (and frankly have no ability or want to mentor Allen) were the best choices.  In addition they have no skill or ability, however Peterman is their Type of player.......  

Myopic & Idiotic.    

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I’d say a Vet QB, an accomplished QB coach plus a top tier Offensive Coordinator. Then you’ve got a fighting chance to be good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My take is not that people are upset about the record of the team but were expecting some semblance of an NFL offense. With the way the league is now, regardless of how little talent on offense a team has, you should be able to throw for over 150 yards easy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I gotta agree that mgt botched the veteran aquisition to bridge the gap between releasing TT and bringing on Josh Allen......

Its like Anderson actually should have been here the WHOLE time.......

They put too much faith in Peterman

Live by the Peterman 

Die by the Peterman 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

My take is not that people are upset about the record of the team but were expecting some semblance of an NFL offense. With the way the league is now, regardless of how little talent on offense a team has, you should be able to throw for over 150 yards easy. 

It was the same pretty much last year and McDermott didn't seem non-plussed then either...... 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

It was the same pretty much last year and McDermott didn't seem non-plussed then either...... 

I guarantee you that McD is not happy about it....you can the strain on his face right now......

He simply does not know offense....and he needs to bring in ppl that do.   His defense is crackerjack

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the issue.  THIS is NOT the offense they are BUILDING.  Why is this so hard for people to understand?  All these posts about what other offenses are doing make no sense.  Beane has been here exactly ONE draft and in that draft went after the most important position.  We lost 2 additional lineman unexpectedly as well.  Beane literally said it would take 2 seasons to repair the cap as well.

We have NOT started to BUILD the offense yet, so everyone talking about this offense as if it was by design are way way off base.  The only thing we did was tear down the crap offense everyone was complaining about for years to build it back up, but that takes MORE than one season.  And first things first, get a new QB which we did.  

This offense is in now way shape of form an offense they “built”, it’s literally the leftovers a mediocre offense with addition of just a few new pieces, only one of which is a key piece (Allen).  

They lost one unexpectedly. The other they wanted him to take a pay cut. Both happened before the draft. They had ample oppurtunity and blew it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

What's damning is they have no clue about QB talent.

1) That Peterman is on the roster at all this season

2) That Allen was drafted

They are the worst in the league at the QB position, and they had ample opportunity to draft QB's that could have changed that, but they blew it, as per usual. 

Certain posters appear rather clueless as well.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Got it. But yet everything I listed is better than the good ole AJ McCarron that they chose. 

We could have also Picked Chad Henne the guy that has helped Tannenhill, Bortles and Mahomes. 

But nope it was McCarron. 

But all good think that this position group wasnt botched. 

How would you even know? They and apparently you didnt give AJ a chance. And from what I can see the coaches and Gm don't know squat. They have royally screwed this team over. One of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen to let AJ go.

To look at this from another angle and instead of asking would it be any different...you need to ask how could it be any worse. Because I don't think the qb situation can be any worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bfanlc said:

How would you even know? They and apparently you didnt give AJ a chance. And from what I can see the coaches and Gm don't know squat. They have royally screwed this team over. One of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen to let AJ go.

To look at this from another angle and instead of asking would it be any different...you need to ask how could it be any worse. Because I don't think the qb situation can be any worse. 

So you're getting all upset because they traded a guy who's a backup, and now have another backup?

Everyone agrees they should have brought a guy in when they traded McCarron.  But they did give McCarron a chance.  And as Beane said he wasn't the guy they thought he'd be.

So the mistake was not to get say Anderson in earlier.  But he's here now. Do you honestly think McCarron would be so much better?  Based on what?

Better than say Petterman you mean? Yeah he would have been better than NP. Obvious isn't it? My thing is how can you trust a coach and Gm to make any further decisions when it was obvious then as it is now that 3 qbs were needed. Wouldn't you think it would be better to keep a guy who has been here a few months than to bring someone in who would only have a couple of months to learn a system/timing with receivers? Absolutely they should have given AJ a shot. The only way they could have made the qb situation worse is if they had let you or me play qb.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I gotta agree that mgt botched the veteran aquisition to bridge the gap between releasing TT and bringing on Josh Allen......

Its like Anderson actually should have been here the WHOLE time.......

They put too much faith in Peterman

..much like Orton, I doubt he was interested early on, not excited about rigors of TC and pre-season.....Orton had the perfect excuse as in "wait 'n see" with his lawsuit versus Jones....something ain't passing the smell test.....wild speculation but maybe McBeane was in full "CYA mode" and begged Anderson to help him out.....does expecting Peterman to have made a meteoric rise from a 5th to a bonafide NFL starter in one year  make sense?...maybe McCarron did want to start.....was there a "starter guaranteed" clause in his deal?.....conversely Anderson expected to arrive as a vet mentor.....does he have a "you will NOT have to start" clause in his deal?........uh oh.........