Josh Allen looks on par with this year’s other rookie QBs

Troll Toll

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

For those of you that like to rip Allen after 5 games, let me leave this for ya. I'm sure I could find numerous other rookie abominations as well. 

Not sure why anyone would expect more from the kid with a pathetic OL, limited targets, and a run oriented offense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Edited by Looper

1 hour ago, Looper said:

For those of you that like to rip Allen after 5 games, let me leave this for ya. I'm sure I could find numerous other rookie abominations as well. 

Not sure why anyone would expect more from the kid with a pathetic OL, limited targets, and a run oriented offense.

when people have to rely on stats to prove themselves right ...

They are not watching the game and what actually happens.  

3 hours ago, Looper said:

Think the qb position has evolved in the last 35 years. Anything outside the last 7 years is kind of pointless.

On 10/20/2018 at 12:21 PM, BB@Shooter said:

Hurt his feeing?  Lol. And you know Zay is open how? We're you at the games? Because on the TV they mostly don't show the receivers. And hardly show replays. So you can tell how? I think you make up crap.

All 22 buddy

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hot take: what if this is just a garbage class of qbs?

....won't know for quite some time despite some already being labeled BUSTS seven games in by TBD pundnuts.......what class if any has come reasonably close to 1983?....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....won't know for quite some time despite some already being labeled BUSTS seven games in by TBD pundnuts.......what class if any has come reasonably close to 1983?....

Hopefully they will be!!! And I hate giving up on qbs too early.  But with the rules in the nfl now and how similar nfl/ college offenses are, it has never been easier to be a nfl QB. So you should see signs much earlier than the Kelly days.

Nothing yet indicating he will be a bust and sometimes his play is quite good.  Par for the course.  

I keep coming back to the Mitch Trubisky example.  Last year he pretty much was below average but showed occasional flashes- lots of doubt about if he was the long term QB for the Bears.  

This year after the Bears have been outfitted with a better O-line and much better offensive weapons- along with Trubisky having another year under his belt- he is coming on strong and making a big case that the Bears have their guy.  

It's up to the Bills if they can give Allen the chance to succeed and come on strong next season.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hot take: what if this is just a garbage class of qbs?

Remember all the experts said how bad the 2017 QBs class was?  Would you take any QBs of this year’s class over the top 3 from that class?

That's been my position all along.

People act as if the other QB's struggling bodes well for Allen. One has nothing to do with the other.

It's entirely possible that none of these QB's are franchise guys.

99 was the last time a draft class had as much hype. Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, Cade Mcnown, and Daunte Culpepper. McNabb and Culpepper were the best of the bunch, but it was a dud overall.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

People act as if the other QB's struggling bodes well for Allen. One has nothing to do with the other.

I mean I liked Rosen.  I thought Darnold was completely overhyped.  Was very mixed on Baker and thought Allen was trash.  Hope I’m wrong though.

7 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Nothing yet indicating he will be a bust and sometimes his play is quite good.  Par for the course.  

I keep coming back to the Mitch Trubisky example.  Last year he pretty much was below average but showed occasional flashes- lots of doubt about if he was the long term QB for the Bears.  

This year after the Bears have been outfitted with a better O-line and much better offensive weapons- along with Trubisky having another year under his belt- he is coming on strong and making a big case that the Bears have their guy.  

It's up to the Bills if they can give Allen the chance to succeed and come on strong next season.  

Mitch was also a much better player in a much better college conference.  And a lot Bears fans are still unsure about him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hopefully they will be!!! And I hate giving up on qbs too early.  But with the rules in the nfl now and how similar nfl/ college offenses are, it has never been easier to be a nfl QB. So you should see signs much earlier than the Kelly days.

...but I'd have to question the current state of collegiate QB development for the NFL versus yesteryear when it was thought to be the "NFL Developmental League" ...hell even Switzer said "the only difference between coaching in Dallas versus Oklahoma is that I didn't have a salary cap in Oklahoma"..'po boyz NFL owners could never afford a minor league developmental structure ala MLB, NHL or even NBA......"Air Raid" and "Spread" are leper like in the traditional world of "pro style" offenses in the current collegiate world.....they sell, put butts in the seats and make megabucks boosters happy with a multi-million dollar bowl victory.....Luck may be the most recent pro-style collegian NFL prepped.....

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but I'd have to question the current state of collegiate QB development for the NFL versus yesteryear when it was thought to be the "NFL Developmental League" ...hell even Switzer said "the only difference between coaching in Dallas versus Oklahoma is that I didn't have a salary cap in Oklahoma"..'po boyz NFL owners could never afford a minor league developmental structure ala MLB, NHL or even NBA......"Air Raid" and "Spread" are leper like in the traditional world of "pro style" offenses in the current collegiate world.....they sell, put butts in the seats and make megabucks boosters happy with a multi-million dollar bowl victory.....Luck may be the most recent pro-style collegian NFL prepped.....

Yes, and even his game hasn't been 100% successful although you can argue that's due to the Colts more than him. Regardless it's an interesting point: we're always hearing about how college concepts trickle into the pros but for some reason the QB position has remained static in the eyes of a lot of NFL teams in that they're not interested in tailoring their entire offense to accommodate a guy who's been successful collegiately in a 'nontraditional' system...that may have a lot to do with how pro rosters get constructed and the amount of player turnover you'd have to accept to install a whole new system. It's still a catch22 but you do have to wonder how many successful college QBs who might have a chance to succeed in the pros fall through the cracks. 

In the end I think talent wins out (Mahomes being the best example currently) but it's definitely something I believe NFL teams are going to be taking a lot more seriously going forward wrt how they end up drafting QBs. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, and even his game hasn't been 100% successful although you can argue that's due to the Colts more than him. Regardless it's an interesting point: we're always hearing about how college concepts trickle into the pros but for some reason the QB position has remained static in the eyes of a lot of NFL teams in that they're not interested in tailoring their entire offense to accommodate a guy who's been successful collegiately in a 'nontraditional' system...that may have a lot to do with how pro rosters get constructed and the amount of player turnover you'd have to accept to install a whole new system. It's still a catch22 but you do have to wonder how many successful college QBs who might have a chance to succeed in the pros fall through the cracks. 

In the end I think talent wins out (Mahomes being the best example currently) but it's definitely something I believe NFL teams are going to be taking a lot more seriously going forward wrt how they end up drafting QBs. 

...certainly does.....but in a labeling society, a kid coming out of "Air Raid" or "Spread" is doomed to be an immediate failure as if he was a leper....go figure...........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly does.....but in a labeling society, a kid coming out of "Air Raid" or "Spread" is doomed to be an immediate failure as if he was a leper....go figure...........

I'm not a scout so I can't pretend to know which Spread guys are likely to make it and which ones are Colt Brennans, but what I do know is you've got to have a FO with a lot of balls and ownership who's backing their decisions 100% because lord knows you're going to hear it from the fans at the first sign of trouble...lol

2 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Mayfield is separating himself from the pack and Allen is chomping on the bit to get back and we all know he is our only hope to win this year. 

I also think Mayfield is playing the best of the bunch right now, although he hasn't separated himself by that wide a margin imo

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

99 was the last time a draft class had as much hype. Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, Cade Mcnown, and Daunte Culpepper. McNabb and Culpepper were the best of the bunch, but it was a dud overall.

I like to point out how the other rookie QB's are struggling as a way to calibrate Josh Allen's performance.  And when you're reading posts on a message board using the performance of the other rookie QB's as support for claiming Allen is a bust it's only natural that some of us want to counter that with the simple fact that most rookie QB's struggle when playing on bad football teams. 

And you're right that they all might be busts and conversely they all might be HOFers.  It's just to early to tell one way or the other. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I like to point out how the other rookie QB's are struggling as a way to calibrate Josh Allen's performance.  And when you're reading posts on a message board using the performance of the other rookie QB's as support for claiming Allen is a bust it's only natural that some of us want to counter that the simple fact that most rookie QB's struggle when playing on bad football teams. 

And you're right that they all might be busts and conversely they all might be HOFers.  It's just to early to tell one way or the other. 

I get that and understand. My personal OPINION is that none of them are special players, so I'm not swayed by the arguments. I don't regret taking Allen over Rosen, although I like Rosen slightly more than Allen. I regret taking a quarterback, period. As far as I'm concerned, it was cosmic bad timing. Fitting for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Mayfield is separating himself from the pack and Allen is chomping on the bit to get back and we all know he is our only hope to win this year. 

*champing*

A lot of the "experts" have Darnold as the guy separating from the pack, though Mayfield has already shown he'll be a good QB in this league IMO.

Allen remains a long shot until he shows signs he can do it.  Haven't seen it yet.

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

*champing*

A lot of the "experts" have Darnold as the guy separating from the pack, though Mayfield has already shown he'll be a good QB in this league IMO.

Allen remains a long shot until he shows signs he can do it.  Haven't seen it yet.

If you're having blackouts you should really go see a doctor.