Josh Allen looks on par with this year’s other rookie QBs

Troll Toll

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This last is a valid concern from what I've seen

It would be shocking if they didn't devote considerable draft and FA resources to trying to upgrade offensive personnel. Evaluation and development capacity is the issue and so far, there isn't much reason to be hopeful.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Right.  I think he's starting to figure things out more.  For all young QBs the game has to slow down for them.  

How many people kept spouting off a 60% completion rate as if it was the be all and end all of how to tell if a guy can be successful?

It's really kind of a minimum standard for success as an NFL QB in today's pass-heavy game.

Even QB on a run-first team such as Seattle in Wilson's first years, or Smith/Kaepernick under Harbaugh, need to hit the target significantly 3/4 of the time when they pull the trigger (which is what 60% completion means when a typical number of throw-aways etc are adjusted for)

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen doesn’t look on par to CJ Beathard. He doesn’t look as good as Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Let’s not “Billieve” because “Bullieving” is stupid. The kid can prove it if he can. Right now he’s proven he’s good for about 2 nice runs and 80 yards passing. 

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I disagree with this whole post... he's shell shocked, escapes the pocket way too early,  he has 166 passing the last 2 weeks combined, he doesn't throw to open WR's... granted the WR's are crap... but Zay is open almost all the time... 

He's so Raw & is behind the QB's in the 1st Rd... except Jackson & that's only because he has Flacco in front of him. PPF has Allen rated as the worst QB under pressure. 

This is why I didnt want to draft him, because he's a project. McBeane is a joke right now, because they didn't have a plan after drafting the QB that needs the most work. 

They fell in love with Allen personality, more so then his readiness to play in this league. 

To sit here & try to compare Allen to the rest of this QB class is laughable in itself. 

He's not ready for this league, & I think McBeane just figured that out... which is why he's "Week to Week" & Allen wants a second opinion...

Ughhh take the hint kid, your bench... i feel like McBeane just didn't want to hurt the kid feelings. 

The part about "hurting the kids feelings" as though Allen's injury isn't real, appears to be flying in the face of facts - all the available evidence points to, Allen is genuinely injured and the injury he is being discussed as having is very consistent with what is seen on film.

The first six lines are reasonable analysis, except that again, all available evidence points to McDermott, Daboll and Beane knew very well that Allen wasn't ready going into the season, which is why he wasn't running with the ones and why he didn't start. 

Yes, it was clear pre-draft Allen was a project and has development needs (basic footwork and accuracy on short passes) and gaps in his background (level of competition he faced/speed of game he faced in college) the other top draftees simply don't have.

Where they made their big error was in hitching their wagon to the "new improved" Nathan Peterman and shooting AJM off to the West Coast (or counting on him in the first place)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Josh Allen doesn’t look on par to CJ Beathard. He doesn’t look as good as Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen. Let’s not “Billieve” because “Bullieving” is stupid. The kid can prove it if he can. Right now he’s proven he’s good for about 2 nice runs and 80 yards passing. 

We REALLY need downvoting, like today. Not tomorrow, not let's think about it. Now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Josh Allen has looked terrible the last 3 games. That's all that needs to be said.

If people want to wait and see with him, that's fine, but I don't get having to tear down other players just to make our situation seem less depressing. Right now no one who cheers for the Browns or Jets has any serious concerns about the long term development of their 1st round picks. Both have had ups and downs and are taking their lumps like most rookies do. Even the Cardinals are probably satisfied with the direciton that Rosen is trending.

As you said, Allen hasn't looked like an NFL player yet. 80 yards and 20 yards rushing is all he's been able to contribute so far on a consistent basis. He looks overwhelmed and completely lost by the speed of the game. Allen was an extremely risky pick when we selected him, and early signs are that he's the same guy now as he was at Wyoming which clearly isn't going to be good enough long term. 

To me, Allen looks behind the other three.  Granted Darnold and Mayfield have better weapons for sure, but they are making some plays downfield.  Rosen looks better too, he's had a bunch of drops.  

Allen has the big arm but he isn't using it much.  Finally we saw a nice pass to KB (which DiMarco ruined) and then another sweet pass to KB over the middle.  So after he makes two good throws, he gets hit and now out a month.  Go figure...he was just starting to get some confidence.  dang it.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It would be shocking if they didn't devote considerable draft and FA resources to trying to upgrade offensive personnel. Evaluation and development capacity is the issue and so far, there isn't much reason to be hopeful.

I agree, but then some of the moves and choices they've already made are shocking to me, and I've been shocked before by different Bills GM/coach pairs expenditure of resources.

13 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

We REALLY need downvoting, like today. Not tomorrow, not let's think about it. Now.

In the Customer Service forum.  In the Suggestion Box.  Maybe in a PM to SDS.  Not here.

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Considering the coaching he has got and the receivers to work with and the line and the run game, I'd say he is ahead of them,. ;) considering he is so close behind now.

a pile of steaming  **** and he's just behind them.....  

some credit is due.   ?

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Thank you, Jerry! Very cool!

Wait what?  Jerry was right?  ;)  ;)  :D 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Totally agree.  I think McDermott is a good game day HC, and his judgement of defensive talent is pretty good.  On the offensive side, however, he simply sucks at talent evaluation of both coaches and players.  Saying that Daboll is better than Dennison is simply saying one's noxious crap and the other's slightly less noxious smelling crap.  That the Bills drafted a first round QB but didn't bother to upgrade the QB coach demonstrates how little McDermott cares about the offensive side or about developing his rookie QB.  Hell, the Bills didn't even get around to bringing in a bonafide veteran QB until five weeks into the season when Peterman utterly failed as the starter in the season opener.

Essentially, McDermott and his henchman Beane are pretty much expecting Allen to sink or swim on his own.  I don't expect the Bills to seriously improve the team around him either because they'll use the excuse that they have so many holes on defense and special teams, which in McDermott's universe, are infinitely more important than the offense.

I don't we'll see much on offense in the offseason.  McDermott doesn't care about the offense, and even if he decided for some reason to go on an offensive FA spending spree, I don't think that any first rate offensive players (nor many second rate ones, either) will be willing to come to the Bills because of McDermott's Neanderthal offensive philosophy.

I agree on McD and the coaches, but fully believe our offseason will be completely focused on the Offensive side of the ball.

I wouldnt say McD "doesnt care" about Offense, just that he is mistaken on what a good Offensive staff looks like. Culley should NEVER have been brought in as QB coach. Daboll was a 50/50 hiring. I get they liked his time with Bama and the Patriots, but he isnt the type of OC a young project QB needs.

Going into this season, I thought we'd be 6-10 at best. I've revised that to 4-12. And I get it was always going to be a down year, so my expectations were "I dont care about our record or what games look like as long as I see a plan for developing the kid". But that isnt happening. Quite the opposite actually. That's my worry.

• Like (+1) 1

Whether or not Allen is on par with the other rookie QBs is, to me, meaningless.  They could all turn out to be busts or superstars.  Who knows?

The fact is that Allen's current level of play is inadequate.  The pertinent questions are:  Can he correct his shortcomings?  How?

Allen's arm is impressive.  But the list of things he needs to correct is also impressive: inconsistent mechanics, accuracy, pre-snap reads, post-snap reads, decisiveness... 

Most/all of his problems are potentially correctable.  But there's so much he has to work on that it's hard to confidently predict that he'll be a franchise QB some day.  My fingers are crossed and I'm certainly pulling for him but I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Whether or not Allen is on par with the other rookie QBs is, to me, meaningless.  They could all turn out to be busts or superstars.  Who knows?

The fact is that Allen's current level of play is inadequate.  The pertinent questions are:  Can he correct his shortcomings?  How?

Allen's arm is impressive.  But the list of things he needs to correct is also impressive: inconsistent mechanics, accuracy, pre-snap reads, post-snap reads, decisiveness... 

Most/all of his problems are potentially correctable.  But there's so much he has to work on that it's hard to confidently predict that he'll be a franchise QB some day.  My fingers are crossed and I'm certainly pulling for him but I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.  

meh.  Post snap isn't as bad w/o INT's       but his awareness in the pocket needs work for sure