Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Idaho gun laws are funny. And by funny I mean they don't have any that extend beyond federal law. Basically, you're 18...and you're legal.

Must be awful.  People must be getting shot and killed left and right in Idaho.  Hundreds, if not thousands, dead.

(In 2018, there were 27 non-suicide gun deaths in Idaho.  103 fatal opioid ODs, though.)

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Must be awful.  People must be getting shot and killed left and right in Idaho.  Hundreds, if not thousands, dead.

(In 2018, there were 27 non-suicide gun deaths in Idaho.  103 fatal opioid ODs, though.)

there is that opioid thing that comes with poor areas and boredom

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

they can't win because the economy is clearly doing very well, and even if you want to give all the credit to Obama you are admitting the economy is doing very well under Trump

"Not for blacks, women, minorities, immigrants, transgendered, gays..."  

Truth has nothing to do with it.  It's what they can get people to believe.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

people know if they have enough $$ to keep the kids fed and the lights on

if yes, then they have a job and don't care much about people yelling about politics on TV

narcotics...

ten years ago i fractured my left foot and the doc immediately asked me if i wanted any of a list of 6 famous drugs to ease the pain, it wasn't that bad for pain and i don't want to mess with drugs

a few months ago i did my right ankle in and the only offer was for non-narcotic anti-imflammatory meds, which i took and quit a few days on.

36 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

if the polls tell them that these categories are such a lead-pipe cinch to goosestep and pull the level for the Dems, why do they keep pandering to them?

i don't bother with people i take for granted, they will brainlessly go along with whatever

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

First, your comment about friends or social skills says all I need to know about how very little you know about homeschooling. They don't spend every day home, are tied to a curriculum and attend classes with other kids whose parents homeschool. There is plenty of social interaction, not just at the classes they attend, but social events like dances or movie nights or bowling nights, etc.

So maybe understand what homeschooling is before you give us the textbook public school teacher I-get-paid-to-have-asses-in-seats complaint.

More importantly, they're not tied to a teacher and a curriculum that is meant to educate the lowest common denominator, and since he can work at his pace instead of the pace dictated by the three kids who should have stayed back a grade, he can advance his education better and faster than a public teacher could ever hope to accomplish. My eight grade son goes into high school next year with 10th-grade science and 11th-grade math. They're taught to be self-sufficient in their study time and assignments.

But hey...congratulations on helping two whole children attend Harvard. Quite the accomplishment. Did they tell the college they were from Kenya to get in or did they just share their recipe for Pow Wow Chow?

I understand completely what homeschooling is.

Social interaction these kids get is purely up to the parents. It doesn't always happen. I've had kids who were homeschooled previously and socially you see a big difference... not positively.

If you're a parent who homeschools... great job for making sure they interact socially, but kids in public or even private school with totally neglectful parents will still learn social skills.

So cherry pick yourself as a reason homeschooling is the best route if you want, but it's cherry picking nonetheless.

As for pretending I have 2 students who have been accepted to Harvard (they're white by the way) and the rest are pumping gas... I mean do you want me to list all the schools my students have gotten into? Do I need to mention my Westpoint, USC, and MIT graduates? Does it even matter to you all the students I've had who are now officers in different military branches? Or my students who now run their own businesses?

But yeah, public schools suck because of the system and because of terrible teachers... keep believing that because you can cherry pick some bad public schools and some bad teachers. 

Schools matter. Teachers matter.

Parents and family and friends matter more.

I chose private schools as a parent. I based that on things that mattered to me. There have been pluses and minuses to that choice, and I respect others decisions, including to home school. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I felt the same until yesterday, which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to break up your self described circle jerk. But you decided the best course of action was to squander that opportunity with childish antics.

So you're saying that everyone in your area is effected by climate change? Not just certain demographics? Interesting. I dated a girl a couple years ago who grew up in Hawaii. The beach that she, her brother, her mother, and her father grew up on was gone by the time we met. She's a relatively wealthy white catholic girl, but the climate change forgot to spare her.

You've done absolutely nothing worth me considering a change in my stance. Quite the opposite, in fact, you completely failed to make a single comprehensive point or address any of the points I raised with your previous google vomit, no context links.

Again, this speaks to economics. As I stated previously, there are points to consider on both sides of that discussion (that you are also seemingly unwilling to have). This says absolutely nothing about race or gender.

This statement shows ingrained sexist and racist thought patterns, and borders on white supremacy. You honestly believe that the reason anyone has wealth, or lacks it, is due to the color of their skin? Not study or spending habits? Not work ethic or dedication to their craft? Not the drive and initiative to turn a passion into a commodity? You'd rather just look at a demographic breakdown and ignore all context. You'd like to ignore that Asian households actually have the highest net worth in America, not white households. I brought up gender because the context of the entire discussion started with the Green New Deal language, which you said you read. Nearly everything about the gender gap has been thoroughly debunked, but we could pivot there if you want.

I used to think that I struggled dating because I lost the majority of my hair by the time I turned 21. Then I realized that, while it was easy to blame that - especially since it was out of my control, the reality was that I wasn't going to the gym or investing in music as much as I used to. I wasn't taking great care of myself, I was eating poorly. My free time habits resembled a depressive cycle of anti-social issues. So I actively worked to change that. It can be difficult to accept that individuals have as much control as they do and be introspective, but the truth almost always lies there - as opposed to surface level. There definitely circumstances that effect everyone differently, but circumstances are very rarely life defining.

Also, you say this just isn't a discourse thing. You started your post by saying how much climate change means to you, but when someone is willing to discuss it with you it just isn't worth it? How much does it actually mean to you then?

This is a highly self-fulfilling way of thinking. You made a statement, I challenged it, and then you deflected, threw spaghetti at the wall, and made no points worth considering whatsoever. I sorted through the spaghetti and expressed the concerning factors, and you addressed none of those concerns - seemingly just accepting that you context-less backup is fatally flawed. I can certainly see you you would perceive everyone to be entrenched in their stance when you aren't even willing to put forth a compelling point for their consideration.

Contesting a statement and asking you to back it up is not ridicule, plain and simple. Your actions following that were absolutely worthy of ridicule, however.

Go Bills! Tyrod ended the drought.

See, this is the rabbit hole I'm not going down and the reason I don't stay.

You're trying to cherry pick and oversimplify. 

I'm just going to say I disagree and enjoy my holiday off with the family.

Happy early Easter and Go BILLS!!!

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep... sure did reach his promise of 4%+ GDP...

Oh wait  :lol:

Are you honestly complaining about the economy in any way?

Back on topic: Looks like Biden is finally launching. He’s a guy that would worry Trump. He can namecall creepy Uncle Joe but he speaks to the states Trump must win. 

Biden, Bernie

big drop to anyone else having a chance with Mayor Pete taking a lot of wind out of the remaining hopefuls lately. I did not see him coming at all. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

12 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Back on topic: Looks like Biden is finally launching. He’s a guy that would worry Trump. He can namecall creepy Uncle Joe but he speaks to the states Trump must win. 

Biden, Bernie

big drop to anyone else having a chance with Mayor Pete taking a lot of wind out of the remaining hopefuls lately. I did not see him coming at all. 

So, it wasn't a facial?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Hell yeah I am.

Wife and I owe the government for the first time ever despite owning a house and her claiming 0 and me claiming 1.

And call that my fault for not adjusting if you want, but that shouldn't have happened. That's happening to a lot of people.

This is supposedly Trump's biggest accomplishment, except as projected his "biggest tax cut in history" is doing more for the wealthy than the middle class and is making a yuuUUUgggee dent in our national debt, which Republicans seem to care about a lot until they're in office.

Besides, the economy of the last 2 years has really just mostly been riding the coattails of the economy of the previous 7 years. And it's slowing down.

7 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Biden, Bernie

Yes. Biden is the guy I want running the most because I feel pretty confident he's easily going to beat Trump... and see portion of my above post for at least part of the reason I feel that way.

9 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Schools matter. Teachers matter.

Parents and family and friends matter more.

I chose private schools as a parent. I based that on things that mattered to me. There have been pluses and minuses to that choice, and I respect others decisions, including to home school. 

100%.

There are homeschooled kids who turn out great just like there are private and public school kids who turn out great.

In each and every case, though, it starts with parents.

School is the supplement.

So the 2 students I have going to Harvard I feel pretty confident knowing they have a pretty good home life.

The dirtbag who had his parents call the police because I "kicked him" while he was sleeping in my class (I tapped my foot underneath his chair... though can't say he didn't deserve a kick) who's parents were emailing me and meeting with me in the weeks prior because their son "doesn't want to attend school because it just doesn't interest him, so can you make it more interesting?" while I was adjusting curriculum to "make it more interesting" (because I try to make it boring normally) who was ultimately an accomplice to getting one of his classmates shot in an execution style drug deal gone bad I know will end up in prison or pumping gas.

I get both ends of the spectrum. And I still love my job. 

But anyone berating the teaching profession because they get so much time off doesn't get the crap that goes with it.

Anyone wants to homeschool their kid. Fine, be a good parent.

Anyone wants to send their kid to a Private School. Fine, be a good parent.

Anyone wants to send their kid to a Public School. Fine, be a good parent.

Cherry pick a school or teacher here and there... that's fine. Teachers are overeducated (required) and underpaid, though... so that should be a sign of a place the country might want to look. In a profession that (back to gender equity) is the ultimate woman's profession... you get what you pay for...

Edited by transplantbillsfan

30 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. Biden is the guy I want running the most because I feel pretty confident he's easily going to beat Trump... and see portion of my above post for at least part of the reason I feel that way.

Hey...you and AOC agree...

\

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

This is why I wouldn't want you teaching my child. Half truths.

Where's the half truth?

Did he not promise 4%+ GDP growth? Has he delivered or even come close to it?

Banking (:flirt:) on the economy as Trump's primary accomplishment (what else does he have exactly??? Saw that North Korea is back to testing missiles... guess no Nobel Peace Prize for Trump :lol:is going to be an interesting narrative to watch in the next 18 months or so.

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I understand completely what homeschooling is.

Social interaction these kids get is purely up to the parents. It doesn't always happen. I've had kids who were homeschooled previously and socially you see a big difference... not positively.

If you're a parent who homeschools... great job for making sure they interact socially, but kids in public or even private school with totally neglectful parents will still learn social skills.

So cherry pick yourself as a reason homeschooling is the best route if you want, but it's cherry picking nonetheless.

As for pretending I have 2 students who have been accepted to Harvard (they're white by the way) and the rest are pumping gas... I mean do you want me to list all the schools my students have gotten into? Do I need to mention my Westpoint, USC, and MIT graduates? Does it even matter to you all the students I've had who are now officers in different military branches? Or my students who now run their own businesses?

But yeah, public schools suck because of the system and because of terrible teachers... keep believing that because you can cherry pick some bad public schools and some bad teachers. 

You‘re a public school teacher?

Would you be willing to engage me in PMs?

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Cherry pick a school or teacher here and there... that's fine. Teachers are overeducated (required) and underpaid, though... so that should be a sign of a place the country might want to look. In a profession that (back to gender equity) is the ultimate woman's profession... you get what you pay for...

Please don't do this whiney baloney. 

Teachers get an easy degree and are paid well, with great benefits, in most of the country. It's an important job but stop it with the "Woe is me" stuff. If you want more money, pick another job. If you want to teach, teach and stop whining. 

The reason teachers don't get paid more is not because the job is not valuable: It's because so many people can do it. They are paid what the economy dictates. 

Hell yeah I am.

Wife and I owe the government for the first time ever despite owning a house and her claiming 0 and me claiming 1.

And call that my fault for not adjusting if you want, but that shouldn't have happened.

You answered your own question. Owing at the end of the year is not Trump's fault. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hell yeah I am.

And call that my fault for not adjusting if you want, but that shouldn't have happened. That's happening to a lot of people.

This is supposedly Trump's biggest accomplishment, except as projected his "biggest tax cut in history" is doing more for the wealthy than the middle class and is making a yuuUUUgggee dent in our national debt, which Republicans seem to care about a lot until they're in office.

Besides, the economy of the last 2 years has really just mostly been riding the coattails of the economy of the previous 7 years. And it's slowing down.

Are you voting for him because:

The way he humiliated Anita Hill in the Clarence Thomas hearing?

The crime legislation that he voted for in 1994?

He voted against gay marriage?

He voted for the Iraqi war?

He advised Obama not to go after Osama?

His "Villages" song is so uplifting?

aloha Transplant

Shielded and insulated as you are in the public sector (you may recall my wife is also a public educator) you’re not in an ideal position to make judgements on the state of the economy. Virtually everyone in the private sector knows that there’s far more optimism now than during the previous administration ...and the US economy runs on future forecasts. And much like climate change, one can debate whether the economic fortunes are due to the current or previous actions it’s not even close to debatable that things are MUCH MUCH better now. Enjoy the peace and prosperity while it lasts, because it won’t and never will. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

See, this is the rabbit hole I'm not going down and the reason I don't stay.

You're trying to cherry pick and oversimplify. 

I'm just going to say I disagree and enjoy my holiday off with the family.

Happy early Easter and Go BILLS!!!

The irony here is incredible.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hell yeah I am.

so you're saying a lot of people got to take home more of their money and let it gain interest (or spend it, no judgement) as opposed to letting the government hold it all year?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The irony here is incredible.

so you're saying a lot of people got to take home more of their money and let it gain interest (or spend it, no judgement) as opposed to letting the government hold it all year?

Anyone blaming anyone but themselves for not getting as much of a refund or having to send the government a check come tax time is a fool. C'monIwannalayu is obviously not a math teacher.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

aloha Transplant

Shielded and insulated as you are in the public sector (you may recall my wife is also a public educator) you’re not in an ideal position to make judgements on the state of the economy. Virtually everyone in the private sector knows that there’s far more optimism now than during the previous administration ...and the US economy runs on future forecasts. And much like climate change, one can debate whether the economic fortunes are due to the current or previous actions it’s not even close to debatable that things are MUCH MUCH better now. Enjoy the peace and prosperity while it lasts, because it won’t and never will. 

My wife is in the private sector.

13 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

The reason teachers don't get paid more is not because the job is not valuable: It's because so many people can do it. They are paid what the economy dictates. 

You also have to temper salaries to accommodate the dumbest truth about teaching: tenure. When you can have a job from which you can NOT be fired, simply because you stayed with it long enough, you're begging for a defective product and red ink.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

You also have to temper salaries to accommodate the dumbest truth about teaching: tenure. When you can have a job from which you can NOT be fired, simply because you stayed with it long enough, you're begging for a defective product and red ink.

His foolishness ALL makes sense now. Schoolteachers (especially rabid NEA members) are all about that entitlement mentality. After all, they're suffering you know. Overworked and underpaid :lol:

And lest he spouts some trash to me, he should know I was married to a unionized,  tenured schoolteacher for 15 years. I know EXACTLY how much work veteran teachers put in on their off time.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

On 4/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, BeginnersMind said:

Biden, Bernie

Biden will formally announce on Wednesday. What on earth can we expect from that gaffe-prone moron this time around?

Will he again borrow verbatim more speeches from British pol Neal Pinnock?

Will his plagiarism scandal from his law school days at Syracuse resurface?  

(He directly copied 5 pages into a 15-page paper.)

Will he again tell us how, when the Great Depression of 1929 occurred, President Roosevelt got on television to reassure the American people?

(Never mind that there were no televisions in 1929, or that FDR wasn’t President until 1932.)

Will he whisper, within range of an open mike and loud enough to be heard, “This is a big f****ing deal”?

Just how will Joe self-destruct this time, and how long will it take?

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

See my post above.

19 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Biden will formally announce on Wednesday. What on earth can we expect from that gaffe-prone moron this time around?

Will he again borrow verbatim more speeches fro British pol Neal Pinnock?

Will he again tell us how, when the Great Depression of 1929 occurred, President Roosevelt got on television to reassure the American people?

(Never mind that there were no televisions in 1929, or that FDR wasn’t President until 1932.)

Will he whisper, within range of an open mike and loud enough to be heard, “This is a big f****ing deal”?

Maybe he's going to cut another record:

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So she should know and should be experiencing the economic upturn. Unless of course she’s in one of the rare industries that’s been on the sidelines during this boom.

To be clear, I didn't say the economy is horrible.

It's good for now, but it was growing steadily in the 7 years prior to Trump taking office, so calling this "the Trump economy" as though he created this is disingenuous.

And projections are that the economy is slowing down. And this tax cut is breadcrumbs for the middle class and sandwiches for the wealthy. And it's adding SooOOooo much to the deficit, which as you know is something Republicans apparently care a lot about when Democrats are in office. And as far as feelings about those tax cuts:

jlpcpdxr5kmlxwhv3bhayg.png

Does a 40% approval rating really jump out at you? I mean... that 40% is pretty ironic since it's pretty much where Trump's approval rating hovers, but if Independents are the determining factor in Trump getting reelected, 32% doesn't bode well.

The economy got a shot in the arm last year with the Tax cuts... we have 18 1/2 months until the election.

How confident are you it will get better or at least stay the same?

And as for the folks bringing up all the stuff about skeletons in Biden's closet coming out... well... Trump still got elected, so likely will Biden if he winds up being the nominee.

Another big mistake on Trump's part, I believe, was renewing his pledge to repeal the Affordable Care Act... though now he says they will put that off til after the election, which will make many of those who were "on the fence" vote against him considering he just wants it gone (Dude has serious Presidential Envy going on) with no plan to replace it with anything. Hell, even Fox friggin News had a poll in the last year that showed it had a 51% approval among Americans and this guy says to axe it without even a replacement plan?

The guy's an idiot and just needs to go.

7 hours ago, The Senator said:

Will he again borrow verbatim more speeches from British pol Neal Pinnock?

I don’t think Trump will be bringing up any open mic moments, do you?

Has Trump taught you nothing?

Ignore that stuff and no. One. Cares. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

Aloha Transplant 

You lost me again. The election boil down to , and every President should be judged on, peace and prosperity. Every indication is that we’ll still have both by next fall. You’re of course free to think he’s an idiot but I’ll take him over any of the government inbred clowns the Democrats are tossing out there.

Mahalo

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Aloha Transplant 

You lost me again. The election boil down to , and every President should be judged on, peace and prosperity. Every indication is that we’ll still have both by next fall. You’re of course free to think he’s an idiot but I’ll take him over any of the government inbred clowns the Democrats are tossing out there.

Mahalo

Yup

The economy.