Congrats Drew Brees

I didn't realize Brees had ALS. That's a shame.

Seriously, that celebration was a bit much. Do you stop the game twice had he also broken the passing TD record? 

I found it amazing that THEY found it amazing that the team was focused on winning the game. What the hell do you expect them to focus on?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You kind of said it right there.... When he retires he will have the single season completion percentage record, the all-time completion record, the all-time yardage record, be 1st or 2nd all-time in TDs and have AT LEAST 1 Super Bowl. He has more 5,000 yard seasons than everyone else combined. He will never make your top 5?

not a hope Brees makes my top 5 QBs of all time.

I won't bother with worrying much about compiling #6-10 either, not worth it... lots of great QBs have gone through the game....

I could not care less about the single season % completion record, that's a bogus thing to compare QBs from 30 years ago to today's much more conservative passing game.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I won't bother with worrying much about compiling #6-10 either, not worth it... lots of great QBs have gone through the game....

I could not care less about the single season % completion record, that's a bogus thing to compare QBs from 30 years ago to today's much more conservative passing game.

You mean except that he's consistently doing as good or better than QBs you are putting in the top five that played in the exact same era?

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You are making my point for me that he is underrated. He will retire with a better resume than Peyton if he wins another one. I’d bet Peyton has a strong shot at your top 5? Brees is historically underrated.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Your original statement was that there is ZERO chance that anyone ever passes Brees on the all-time list.  That's just patently false.  The fact that right now there are two supposed "outliers" playing extremely well into their 40s suggests that it's hardly impossible, which means there is no reason other QBs who are just starting their careers now, like Mahomes and Goff, couldn't do what Brees has done.  Granted, the odds may be against it, but why couldn't someone like Goff, playing under a coach like McVay in a warm weather city like LA, do what Brees has done?  Same with Mahomes, playing on an Andy Reid-coached team with incredible weapons at his disposal.  Or even someone like Mayfield, who's already putting up big number in Cleveland?  Again, the odds are against any one of them doing it, but it's more than possible.  

No 40 year old currently playing will pass Brees.

Goff and Mahomes would have to play at their current level for 15-17 seasons to catch Brees (and Brees isn't done). How long do you think Reid or McVay will be around?

Zero chance.  The number of QBs playing all those games into their 40's in the NFL is tiny.  Picking a few who have had a few good games and saying , "hey, they might do it" isn't consistent with the history of this league. 

Zero chance.

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s going to finish his career with the most yards, the most completions, MAYBE the most TDs (at worst 2nd most), and the highest single season completion percentage. It is VERY rare that you hear him in the discussion as the best ever. He belongs in the conversation. He has always been considered below Manning, Brady and Rodgers. I’m not sure that he belongs a tier below. 

I just saw Brees’ post-35 year old numbers compared to Brady and Manning......and he’s been better in just about every important stat - except winning percentage and that takes more than one guy. I hope he gets to a couple more SB’s to get some more recognition and because he just seems like a likeable, low key guy. 

I doubt it is "safe" in the current era of passing and guys entering the draft ever earlier.  4000 yards is the new 3000 yards and likely we will some day soon see a 6000 yard passer (that's still an average of less than 400 yards a game - certainly doable).  Also, Brady is only a season behind and has gone on record stating he wants to play until he is 45.  If he plays 1-2 more seasons than Brees, he will likely pass him.   

That said, all this talk on passing yards is a bit meh, in my opinion.  In order to put up a lot of passing yards you need to be a team that throws first and has a bad enough defense to give you an opportunity to keep throwing.  The cards have to fall right.

Edited by Murdox

29 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I didn't realize Brees had ALS. That's a shame.

Seriously, that celebration was a bit much. Do you stop the game twice had he also broken the passing TD record? 

I found it amazing that THEY found it amazing that the team was focused on winning the game. What the hell do you expect them to focus on?

Brees doesn’t have ALS.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No 40 year old currently playing will pass Brees.

Goff and Mahomes would have to play at their current level for 15-17 seasons to catch Brees (and Brees isn't done). How long do you think Reid or McVay will be around?

Zero chance.  The number of QBs playing all those games into their 40's in the NFL is tiny.  Picking a few who have had a few good games and saying , "hey, they might do it" isn't consistent with the history of this league. 

Zero chance.

Go open a dictionary and look up the word “zero”.  There is more than zero chance.  Until Brees and Brady came along, QBs who were incredibly productive into their 40s weren’t “consistent with the history of this league.”  But now they are, so it’s reasonable to think there will be others. 

I don’t think I’d even agree that it’s unlikely that someone will eventually surpass Brees, given the rule changes and the dominant role of passing in the modern NFL.  I just threw out a few names, none of whom you can definitively say are incapable of putting up big numbers for many years, like Brees did...there are undoubtedly others we don’t even know about who might also have a shot.  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, mannc said:

Go open a dictionary and look up the word “zero”.  There is more than zero chance.  Until Brees and Brady came along, QBs who were incredibly productive into their 40s weren’t “consistent with the history of this league.”  But now they are, so it’s reasonable to think there will be others. 

I don’t think I’d even agree that it’s unlikely that someone will eventually surpass Brees, given the rule changes and the dominant role of passing in the modern NFL.  I just threw out a few names, none of whom you can definitively say are incapable of putting up big numbers for many years, like Brees did...there are undoubtedly others we don’t even know about who might also have a shot.  

Brees isn’t in his 40’s.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Playing nearly every game till 40 is extremely rare for reasons that should be obvious.  Because it has been done does not increase it's likelihood going forward.  

Let me try to put this another way:

Mahomes, who is playing lights out, has, over 5 games as starter, averaged 303 YPG.  He would have to play 190 more games at that same pace just to match Bress's output in NO.

I actually said "zero point zero".  

Edited by Mr. WEO