Sal Carpaccio’s Plan To Fix Offense in 2019

Definitely missing Wood, Incognito, and depth at LT with Glenn trade. I know Richie was bat$hit crazy, but the experience was there.

I don't know how many times I see our guards turn inside to help our center, even when he is holding his own, only to let a defender blow by them up the middle on a delayed blitz, twist, or just someone on the outside getting beat on an inside move. They need to be coached up a lot on maintaining good positioning and awareness - if they even have NFL talent.

Mills flat out looks and plays soft, saw and completely ignored Matthews coming off the outside for a sack, when both the TE and the running back on his side release off the line on that play. Mills has got to know he has no help, so he looks at a charging Matthews, ignores him and turns inside and look for phantom players to block and lets Josh get rocked...I was steamed from that play on. Matthews didn't resort to any trickery, the Bills just have O-Linemen who apparently feel a player like Matthews does not have to be blocked.

Daboll was trying to get our RBs involved in the passing game, but what choice does he have as these trench guys currently suck - he has to design plays that get the ball out of Josh's hands early, stick with the screens as defenses are being over aggressive right now, move the pocket - designed rollouts that cut the field in half for Josh and give him the sideline to run out or toss it away.

And yeah, there were more than a few coverage sacks, and GB had their edge guys spying Josh to take away any scrambling opportunities.

I agree with Sal... unless those boys up front show some kind of quantum improvement, McDermott needs to load up on OL and WR talent this next draft.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

We need big targets with big wingspans to catch Allen's off target passes.  Little speedy guys, like the ones we've signed and drafted so far, won't mesh with Allen's skillset. 

We have one little speed guy and he went undrafted.  

I would target Golden Tate first and I'd over pay.  I think 3 years 36 mil with 20 guaranteed.  

Then I'd try and get Jordy Nelson and John Brown.  

I'd also take a flyer on Martavis Bryant if I got enough veteran leadership like Jordy and Tate.  

I might even take a peek at Enunwa but he may cost a little more than I'd like to pay for not proving it long enough.  

I want veteran wide receivers that know how to get open.  Allen needs to see a pro run routes so he can learn what to look for.   I'm drafting one early too for sure and I'd consider a first rounder - even if I signed all of the above players.  He needs his young WR to grow with. 

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with the idea of bringing in some OL via FA. Solidify the line. I don't see a top FA WR like Cobb wanting to come here. Perhaps Moncrief? Jax is short on cap space which means he should be available if he is willing to come here. I definitely like the idea of drafting a WR with the 1st round pick. It's rumored to be a strong Defensive draft so a top WR could well be available when the Bills pick comes up. I'd also like the Bills to try to improve their TE position through FA if possible. The Bills will have to make a serious decision on Hughes after this season is over. Also it is time to bring in a RB as Shady may or may not be around after this year is over.

Why are we looking to the draft for an elite WR?  Wasn't Zay Jones an elite college WR.  Oh wait, he just aimlessly runs around in circles on the field.  With all of our cap space, we need a PROVEN ESTABLISHED WR.  

Just now, White Linen said:

It's always that way.  Good proven WR's do not become available often.  

Some years you get a couple decent guys, but this coming year it's 31 year old Golden Tate and then a huge drop off to guys who are nothing more than #3 guys around the NFL.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

.  He believes 1 good WR would help improve the performance of other receivers on  the offense.  

Worked for the Rams last year.  Watkins made the other receivers better than him right away...

1 minute ago, Cson76 said:

what you don't like Randall Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Devin Funchess, the last name is almost a guarantee.

Tate is a good player but he's 31 years old. 

Fitzgerald is a hall of famer, but he's 35.

The others guys are junk. 

I'd look at Tyrell Williams as a #2 deep threat, and I'd look at Geronimo Allison as a #3. The rest of the class is terrible. 

13 hours ago, loedward22 said:

Sal needs to refine his idea. We actually have to find a high culture (ideally a holy roller) elite WR.  Unfortunately these are even more rare and difficult to find. 

Don't forget this WR needs to buy into the culture of One Bills Drive & never questions what comes out of Mcdipshits mouth.  These are the most important qualities of any player in the draft.  

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting appearance from Sal Carpaccio today.  He shared his plan for 2019 to help rescue the Bills offense.  He thinks the Bills can fill a few holes on the OL in Free Agency.  But that the Bills need to acquire an “elite” WR.  He mentions they really should focus on finding 1 good WR instead of several good ones ones.  He believes 1 good WR would help improve the performance of other receivers on  the offense.  

A hilarious moment occurred when Jeremy asked Sal where they would find an elite WR to which Sal said “I don’t know.”  LOL.  Not sure what the WR class is like in 2019, but they have a very good chance to nab a top WR

For Allen he believes the most important part will be how he processes defenses.  He already has the physical tools and probably won’t even be a pinpoint accurate passer.  But he needs to show he can understand defenses.  

You can listen to the interview here:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-03-sal-capaccio-howard-and-jeremy

Allen needs to throw better.  It's not just a question of pinpoint, he is missing "gimmes" that NFL QB have to hit.  If he can make those throws and avoid a few stupidities, we could move the ball with his current ability to understand D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1