Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They are a lot better than where they are now.

All young, talented players exchanged for worse players all for familiarity and "culture". Yet KB doesn't give two !@#$s and Star had sucked for about 3 years now.

Once again not defending KB or Star (Although I think Star is a decent player just way overpaid for the role and talent level he brings) but while I don't disagree that the team would be better with Glenn along the line, Sammy in the WR core, and with Dareus and Darby out there but that assumes that for one Sammy and Glenn would stay healthy (which there was no guarantee of,) Darby would be a fit in the zone system (which was questionable) and Dareus wouldn't be a issue in the locker room (Which he already was in 2017.) Also this team would be what 7-9 or 8-8 with those players IF They were healthy and not causing an issue? You are acting like those 4-5 players are the difference between the Bills contending for a Super Bowl and being what they are now.

The Bills in 2019 will be in a position to add massive amounts of talent around Allen and maybe add a pass rusher to the defense. That's not saying McBeane will add better players with the cap space but rather that was the right way to go about it in order to actually be able to put the team in a position to rebuild properly. Yes even if the team was paying Cordy, Sammy, and Dareus while also possibly handing Darby a deal the Bills still would have some cap space to add some talent but they probably would be paying those 3 for diminishing returns towards the back end of second contracts as opposed to being able to add a lot of talent in short order.  

Cordy, Sammy, and Dareus would be eating up 45 million on the cap and two out of three have massive injury issues and the third was an under-performing malcontent who was also overpaid. I would rather have the draft picks that helped net Allen and Edumonds while also retaining cap space than pay those three who would help the team go 7-9 or 8-8. Sometimes you have to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward. 

Edited by billsfan89

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You are confusing talentvand culture again.  I have never said you don't need talent.  Neither did McD although people keep trying to say he did.

Talent wedded to a solid culture makes teams and organizations successful.  The three guys I mentioned are the types that worked hardest in practice.  They challenged their teammates to do the same and accepted no less than that.  That is how culture can make organizations successful.

I disagree.  Culture is the expectations you place on the employees of a company.  It's you DNA and that DNA influences all you do from there.  Mission and vision statements define culture in my view (and where I work), and directly affect strategic decisions.

I invite you to visit any successful company and ask them if culture isn't real.  I think they will tell you that you are mistaken.

What if the employees, who are otherwise great human beings,  can't meet those expectations? Or are only people that can meet those expectations part of the culture? What is the nature of your business? 

6 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

culture is real. and it is part of strategy. this is really not difficult...

So you're saying that strategy trumps culture, which is what exactly? 

Sometimes McCoach sounds like an uninspired motivational speaker.

This bit about "culture" just seems like another cliche like:

Trust the process.

I have to watch the tape.

You either win or you learn

. . .

Is there a problem with the Chief's culture because Sammy plays there now?

Is there a problem with the Jags' culture because Dareus plays there now?

Is there a problem with the Rams' culture because Woods and Robey-Coleman play there?

Is there a problem with the 49ers' culture because Goodwin plays there?

Is there a problem with the Pats' culture because Hogan and Gilmore play there?

Is the Bills' culture better this year without Richie than it was last year or years before with Richie?

If "culture" were the issue, Paris would be the best team in the NFL if it had a football team (one other than PSG).

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

What if the employees, who are otherwise great human beings,  can't meet those expectations? Or are only people that can meet those expectations part of the culture? What is the nature of your business? 

So you're saying that strategy trumps culture, which is what exactly? 

I work in health care.  We had a new CEO come in several years ago, and what he did was change the culture.  His message was simple:  it's about the patient.  Everything our organization does, from hiring to food service to whatever, is based on being focused on patients.  Not what's convenient for us, or what we might like.

I was given the role of explaining this change in focus to nursing staff.  One of our expectations under that culture is we smile to patients and their families.  One nurse told me:  I don't smile.  I told her: you need to decide if you want to be part of our organization.  Very talented at nursing duties, but terrible at adapting to the new culture.  Lot of folks left, but a lot of talented folks joined because they want to be part of that culture.  We now are the market leader in many areas.

How does that relate to McD?  Simple.  He is defining the culture of the Buffalo Bills.  His message I think is equally clear:  it's about football, plain and simple.  

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sometimes McCoach sounds like an uninspired motivational speaker.

This bit about "culture" just seems like another cliche like:

Trust the process.

I have to watch the tape.

You either win or you learn

. . .

Is there a problem with the Chief's culture because Sammy plays there now?

Is there a problem with the Jags' culture because Dareus plays there now?

Is there a problem with the Rams' culture because Woods and Robey-Coleman play there?

Is there a problem with the 49ers' culture because Goodwin plays there?

Is there a problem with the Pats' culture because Hogan and Gilmore play there?

Is the Bills' culture better this year without Richie than it was last year or years before with Richie?

If "culture" were the issue, Paris would be the best team in the NFL if it had a football team (one other than PSG).

You don't think guys like Dareus were told this is how it is in JVille?  Or the guys in NE by Brady and Belichick?

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I work in health care.  We had a new CEO come in several years ago, and what he did was change the culture.  His message was simple:  it's about the patient.  Everything our organization does, from hiring to food service to whatever, is based on being focused on patients.  Not what's convenient for us, or what we might like.

I was given the role of explaining this change in focus to nursing staff.  One of our expectations under that culture is we smile to patients and their families.  One nurse told me:  I don't smile.  I told her: you need to decide if you want to be part of our organization.  Very talented at nursing duties, but terrible at adapting to the new culture.  Lot of folks left, but a lot of talented folks joined because they want to be part of that culture.  We now are the market leader in many areas.

How does that relate to McD?  Simple.  He is defining the culture of the Buffalo Bills.  His message I think is equally clear:  it's about football, plain and simple.  

You don't think guys like Dareus were told this is how it is in JVille?  Or the guys in NE by Brady and Belichick?

I don't think that Dareus was a "cultural" problem.  He was very well liked among his teammates, he had just won a community service award, and was very sad when he left.  He thought of Buffalo as home.  This is a kid who has faced more adversity (people being murdered etc.) than we will ever know.                             

That is just my opinion.

P.S. Hogan was never a problem. Gilmore's problem was refusing to tackle and slowing down while an opposing player was running into the end zone so that Gilmore could blame someone else.  Even still, he did not seem to hurt the Pats "culture" last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I don't think that Dareus was a "cultural" problem.  He was very well liked among his teammates, he had just won a community service award, and was very sad when he left.  He thought of Buffalo as home.  This is a kid who has faced more adversity (people being murdered etc.) than we will ever know.                             

That is just my opinion.

P.S. Hogan was never a problem. Gilmore's problem was refusing to tackle and slowing down while an opposing player was running into the end zone so that Gilmore could blame someone else.  Even still, he did not seem to hurt the Pats "culture" last year.

I feel sorry for Dareus and hope he finally straightens out.  But do you recall when he missed the bus (bus, plane) for the preseason game?  McD didn't ignore it, came down on him, but I also remember the pictures of him on the practice field with Dareus one on one.  He tried to reach the kid, but reaching him meant (I think) that he had to buy into the culture.  And he wouldn't or couldn't .  I hope for his sake Marrone gets him to.  I agree about Hogan and Gilmore; those were financial decisions vs. culture.

2 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

A change in focus is literally a new strategy. 

No it's not. It was a deliberate cultural shift.  Our culture now centers or one thing: it's all about the patient.  And that dictates strategies.  Like expecting our employees to smile with patients and their families.

We may define things differently, but to get back to the team it's still simple.  When you are the leader of the team one of your jobs is to set the culture of the team and hold folks to that.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

No it's not. It was a deliberate cultural shift.  Our culture now centers or one thing: it's all about the patient.  And that dictates strategies.  Like expecting our employees to smile with patients and their families.

We may define things differently, but to get back to the team it's still simple.  When you are the leader of the team one of your jobs is to set the culture of the team and hold folks to that.  

We define things differently because you're defining them incorrectly. I'll assume you work for a private company. The goal of the company is to survive, which typically means making money. Your boss developed a strategy, put the patient first. He then employed tactics, such as hiring friendly nurses and making staff smile. It sounds like his strategy paid off. None of that has anything to do with culture. 

McDermott is collecting his friendly nurses, the Rams are developing the cure. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

$8.5M.  But then there's the $3.5M peanuts we scattered for Coleman.    $8.5+$3.5 = $12M

$6.7M this year (Star) vs $9.9M (Dareus) plus different distribution of the bonus

Once, Dareus was by far the better player.  Last year he was here - I'm not sure he was better than Star.

The cap hell is real, but it's a hell of our own creating.

Marcel is better when motivated, not hurt, and is actually not suspended......the problem is Star is none of those things he simply does his job quietly and is a locker room guy (lets call it a process guy) so whats your pleasure......the wildcard for more or the dependable but unspectacular for less?

We did create our own cap hell......but Beane isnt responsible for it....he was brought in to FIX it....which is happening this year.   People just cant seem to wrap their mind around that fact......we have something like THREE MILLION dead cap next year.

4 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

We define things differently because you're defining them incorrectly. I'll assume you work for a private company. The goal of the company is to survive, which typically means making money. Your boss developed a strategy, put the patient first. He then employed tactics, such as hiring friendly nurses and making staff smile. It sounds like his strategy paid off. None of that has anything to do with culture. 

The rams have gone through their season's of losing and collecting blue chip draft talent....they are simply at different stages of their development....he is NOT defining them correctly.   That is your interpretation.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

We did create our own cap hell......but Beane isnt responsible for it....he was brought in to FIX it....which is happening this year.   People just cant seem to wrap their mind around that fact......we have something like THREE MILLION dead cap next year.

John, the point is, there were other strategies and choices for straightening out the cap.

They chose this one - maybe it's the best strategy, maybe it isn't, but please - don't ignore the fact that there were other strategies or choices.

Or shall I say "people just can't seem to wrap their mind around that fact"?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Wroughting said:

Sorry but you're wrong again.  A non-profit health care organization first of all.  Second our culture is simple: it's about the patient.  We pursue a ton of strategies such as smiling when with patients, making sure they can get into a doc's office with 24 hours, many others.  But every single strategy is influenced by having a culture where the needs of the patient are placed first.

You bring up the Rams.  Is their success culture or strategy?  And why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

John, the point is, there were other strategies and choices for straightening out the cap.

They chose this one - maybe it's the best strategy, maybe it isn't, but please - don't ignore the fact that there were other strategies or choices.

Or shall I say "people just can't seem to wrap their mind around that fact"?

No doubt they could have done other things....but would that not feel like the "band aid" that we have been doing for years?

We have never actually seen this team do a real rebiuld....its usually been attempts at reloads and trying to get enough wins to not look average (and we ended up looking average at best)

There were a lot of ppl myself included that felt a full rebiuld was the only thing the team has not tried in order to become relevent.....rebiulds are frustrating....take more time then we want them to.......all of that....but sometimes necessary.

The rebiuld started last year....we are in the middle of it...year 3 will be comeing out the other side of it

Ive had a WONDERFUL day today, but good grief, I have to be negative here for a second unfortunately. You trade a THIRD for Kelvin Benjamin YOUR GUY and even he doesn't buy in! Your own dude, c'mon man, that's alarming. What culture change? Seriously? Zay Jones had to tell him where to LINE UP. Culture change? hahahahahahaha

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

No doubt they could have done other things....but would that not feel like the "band aid" that we have been doing for years?

We have never actually seen this team do a real rebiuld....its usually been attempts at reloads and trying to get enough wins to not look average (and we ended up looking average at best)

There were a lot of ppl myself included that felt a full rebiuld was the only thing the team has not tried in order to become relevent.....rebiulds are frustrating....take more time then we want them to.......all of that....but sometimes necessary.

The rebiuld started last year....we are in the middle of it...year 3 will be comeing out the other side of it

McD and Beane told Terry this was necessary.  It was part of their plan.  We'll see over the next few years if they are successful with their plan.

Everyone on this board should hope they are.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

McD and Beane told Terry this was necessary.  It was part of their plan.  We'll see over the next few years if they are successful with their plan.

Everyone on this board should hope they are.

They've completely neglected offense. I reaaaaaally thought we had a nice draft, but if you wanted to draft defense should have splurged big money on offense in FA.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

They've completely neglected offense. I reaaaaaally thought we had a nice draft, but if you wanted to draft defense should have splurged big money on offense in FA.

They didn't have a ton of $$ in free agency.  Recall they got gashed in the run game last year so they tried to shore that up.  Having Richie lose it really hurt.  And why Groy fell apart remains a mystery.

I anticipate heavy emphasis on the offense next offseason.  If not I will be quite critical.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sorry but you're wrong again.  A non-profit health care organization first of all.  Second our culture is simple: it's about the patient.  We pursue a ton of strategies such as smiling when with patients, making sure they can get into a doc's office with 24 hours, many others.  But every single strategy is influenced by having a culture where the needs of the patient are placed first.

You bring up the Rams.  Is their success culture or strategy?  And why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

A non profit organization still has to make money... nothing is free. And if you don't have to compete to make money, then this is a non sequitur. Again you keep conflating culture with strategy and strategy with tactics. Culture, what ever it is, is a by product of your strategy. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They didn't have a ton of $$ in free agency.  Recall they got gashed in the run game last year so they tried to shore that up.  Having Richie lose it really hurt.  And why Groy fell apart remains a mystery.

I anticipate heavy emphasis on the offense next offseason.  If not I will be quite critical.

I do like Lotulelei, not a big fan of Murphy though, would have liked to get a WR with that money.

1 minute ago, Wroughting said:

A non profit organization still has to make money... nothing is free. And if you don't have to compete to make money, then this is a non sequitur. Again you keep conflating culture with strategy and strategy with tactics. Culture, what ever it is, is a by product of your strategy. 

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I know what happened in our organization and how that cultural shift set into play a number of strategic changes that have improved our market share.  And I think you can walk into any successful organization and ask them about culture and they will be able to clearly define it for their organization and how it dtives success.

Actually, someone should have asked McD that yesterday.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I do like Lotulelei, not a big fan of Murphy though, would have liked to get a WR with that money.

Yeah, I could agree there. 

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

KB is making 8.5 million and he is off the books after this season. Sammy is due 32 million in 2019 and 2020. Star's cap hit this season is 6.5 million much lower than Dareus's but had Dareus stayed with the Bills he would be a 15 million dollar cap hit in 2019 and 2020 whereas Star is a 10 million dollar cap hit. Once again if the Bills had Sammy, Dareus, Tyrod, Darby, and Glenn are they a contender? 

I am also not defending the Star contract or the ability for McBeane to sign pro-talent. However that doesn't mean the philsophy of getting draft capital and dumping players on big contracts wasn't the right move in philsophy. The Bills holding onto aging injury prone talent to win a little more in the short term wouldn't help the team. 

Sammy Watkins can catch passes.  Benjamin would be the poster-boy for "stone handed WR" except that Zay Jones has on that.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Sammy Watkins can catch passes.  Benjamin would be the poster-boy for "stone handed WR" except that Zay Jones has on that.

NO ONE IS DISPUTING SAMMY WATKINS IS A BETTER PLAYER THAN KB. What I am saying is Sammy is vastly overpaid and we got a 2nd round pick plus a good corner for him. Do you think the missing piece to a Bills championship are Sammy Watkins at 16 million per-season and Cordy Glenn and Dareus around 13 million per?

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think they could have gotten a similar player like Lotulelei for much cheaper. Dude is going to be a huge cap hit next year and I honestly think there were players out on the market that could have done what he does for 5-6 million less annual average. Murphy is at least an easy contract to get out of. The Bills are likely unable to get out of Star's deal until 2020 and more realistically 2021. 

Edited by billsfan89

This team - the one on the field now - is not 2-3 players from a SB...

We need a WR1, a Center, at least one Guard, a RT, TE, WR3, and we need a CB2 to complement White and at least one OLB.

It really did suck that we lost Wood to injury and Ritchie to some sort of mental instability issue.  Maybe that was there all along, but he really seemed past that for a while.

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s not just emphasis, it’s that they are in such rough shape, they need to hit on most, if not close to all FA and draft picks 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they could have gotten a similar player like Lotulelei for much cheaper. Dude is going to be a huge cap hit next year and I honestly think there were players out on the market that could have done what he does for 5-6 million less annual average. Murphy is at least an easy contract to get out of. The Bills are likely unable to get out of Star's deal until 2020 and more realistically 2021. 

I think Lotulelei's contract is fair, I may be in the minority there but 10m per year for high end run stuffer is palatable. Were there better options? Perhaps, but I saw Damon Harrison get a similar contract so I know what Star got is not as over the top as fans make it out to be.

Should have overpaid John Brown to come here with Murphy's money.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

It’s not just emphasis, it’s that they are in such rough shape, they need to hit on most, if not close to all FA and draft picks 

True.  I am optimistic about the draft.  They got some good young talent last year(assuming McD called the shots) and this past spring.  As for free agents I expect they won't spend a boatload of cash on one guy but get several solid players.

I want to see O line prioritized.  And get a good WR.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Who's fault is it that they have $53+ million in dead cap space and gaping holes on both sides of the ball?

Keeping Dareus would have kept them from being "gashed in the run game" last year and this -- and cut their dead cap space to about $40 million.  Wood was 30 in 2017, and Incognito was 34 or 35.  Maybe they should have drafted an OLer with the extra pick they gave up to move up to take Jones and taken some other WR -- I believe that Smith-Shuster might have still been available when the Bills would have picked.  Groy was a career backup, but the reason he "fell apart" is likely because he's not playing the same blocking scheme that he played in 2016 when he looked at least semi-competent.  That's on the coaching staff because it seems apparent that the Bills OLers still haven't come close to mastering the zone blocking system.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I want to see O line prioritized.  And get a good WR.

We need a veteran WR, we need to draft one too though. I'd back up the Brinks truck on a reliable classy #1. An 8m/yr wideout may cost us 11.5 and I hope Beane understands. We will absolutely have to overspend, but we have to. Don't play moneyball, they'll sign somewhere else.

Just now, SoTier said:

Who's fault is it that they have $53+ million in dead cap space and gaping holes on both sides of the ball?

Keeping Dareus would have kept them from being "gashed in the run game" last year and this -- and cut their dead cap space to about $40 million.  Wood was 30 in 2017, and Incognito was 34 or 35.  Maybe they should have drafted an OLer with the extra pick they gave up to move up to take Jones and taken some other WR -- I believe that Smith-Shuster might have still been available when the Bills would have picked.  Groy was a career backup, but the reason he "fell apart" is likely because he's not playing the same blocking scheme that he played in 2016 when he looked at least semi-competent.  That's on the coaching staff because it seems apparent that the Bills OLers still haven't come close to mastering the zone blocking system.

Blah, blah, blah.  How many times does it have to be said they planned to clear cap space and they're doing it quickly?  You don't like it.  Too bad.  Dareus has like 8 tackles in 4 games this year, played like crap with us last year despite the biggest contract, so they got rid of him.  You don't like it.  Too bad.

Yes it was their choice to clear space.  Which left them less to pursue FAs.  I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.  It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Andy Reid doesn't think Watkins is overpaid... and considering the market for WRs and the state of our putrid WR corps, it would've been wise to give Sammy what he got. 

That is such bull ****. Sammy is on pace to put up 704 yards, 4 TD's, and 56 receptions, if the Bills were paying Sammy 16 million to put up those numbers you would be crushing the Bills for overpaying for a guy who was hyped in college but didn't do that much to justify 6 million dollars less than Mack. Your logic is absurd, our guys suck so we should have overpaid for Watkins? Come on you have to do better than that. The Bills WR core is trash so Sammy being better than trash is hardly justification for why we should have overpaid for him. 

I would rather have the pick, a year of good corner back play, and massive amounts of cap space to work with than a guy whose only justification for his salary you have given is that he is better than the trash on the team now. 

Honestly what would the Bills record be if they had Sammy instead of KB, Darby, Glenn, Tyrod, and Dareus instead of Star and Edumonds (I think that without the extra picks and draft spots they don't have enough to trade up for Allen and Edumonds, they probably have to give up picks 21, 22, and 53 to trade up for Allen?)

At best they are 2-2, but in all likelihood they could still currently be 1-3. What is the difference with those players on the roster? Right now we win 3-5 games maybe with those players we go 7-9? You are acting like the Bills got nothing for these players and they are the difference between the Bills being in the Superbowl and where they are now. 

Yes they are better but being modestly better in 2018 doesn't help this team that much to build to a contender long term. I don't know if McBeane will use the cap space wisely but I think the philsophy of clear the space while getting the rookie QB is one that has been proven to be successful. 

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Blah, blah, blah.  How many times does it have to be said they planned to clear cap space and they're doing it quickly?  You don't like it.  Too bad.  Dareus has like 8 tackles in 4 games this year, played like crap with us last year despite the biggest contract, so they got rid of him.  You don't like it.  Too bad.

Yes it was their choice to clear space.  Which left them less to pursue FAs.  I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.  It is what it is.

People act like rebuilds aren't done this way. Yes the Bills took it to a more extreme level but the Dead cap is also some bad luck with the InCog and Wood retirements. I also love the fans that act like this team would be a Super Bowl contender with Glenn, Dareus, Sammy, Tyrod, and Darby. This team is bad and some of the talent moves like Star and KB have been questionable but they didn't gut a team that would have been anything better than 8-8. 

39 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

NO ONE IS DISPUTING SAMMY WATKINS IS A BETTER PLAYER THAN KB. What I am saying is Sammy is vastly overpaid and we got a 2nd round pick plus a good corner for him. Do you think the missing piece to a Bills championship are Sammy Watkins at 16 million per-season and Cordy Glenn and Dareus around 13 million per?

Sammy, Cordy, and Dareus do add to a winning effort.  Interestingly enough, all three teams are they play for are winning. 

Lotulelei is a significantly less impactful player than Dareus and it shows, same can be said for the replacements for Sammy and Cordy.  

I love the money argument people go with while we have one of the weakest rosters in the NFL.  Especially considering guys like Robert Woods, "we can't pay for a number 2 receiver!"  

• Like (+1) 1