Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

Just now, Ice bowl 67 said:

What's Appendicitis feel like?

I've had that too.  It's a stabbing pain that radiates from your belly button to your right side.  at least that's what it felt like for me.

Easy to diagnose.    stand up, jump 8" off the ground, when you hit the ground, if you slump to the floor in agony (like I did in the ER) it's Appendicitis.    

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I've had that too.  It's a stabbing pain that radiates from your belly button to your right side.  at least that's what it felt like for me.

Easy to diagnose.    stand up, jump 8" off the ground, when you hit the ground, if you slump to the floor in agony (like I did in the ER) it's Appendicitis.    

Is that when your Intestine ruptures?

Just now, Ice bowl 67 said:

Is that when your Intestine ruptures?

mine didn't rupture, but it was close.  the inflamed appendix didn't show up on the MRI so the ER doc did the old school test, said it was def appendicitis.    Surgeon came in finally, said you want it out or another MRI?? I said out please.   done deal.   They said it was ready to burst.   I said they need to calibrate their MRI

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Here is an up vote for your parents.  Had to be a tough/mixed day for them.

I just have to ask.  How far does it bend now?

I don’t have quite the range of motion that I used to, but it’s not too bad all things considered. It took a long time to get it back though. 

37 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Are you ok now?

Yes. Thanks for asking. It gets stiff and sore, and I can’t really play the sports I used to (especially higher impact stuff like skiing etc), but it doesn’t really have any effect on my day to day life anymore. 

Doing electrical work, had a high voltage panel blow up in my face and hand.  Blew the skin off my hand between my thumb and index finger, and 3rd degree burns up my arm toward my elbow.  As dumb as it sounds, that didn’t really hurt.  What hurt is it also burnt my eyeballs.  For about 24 hours, it felt like someone was dumping salt into my eyes.  Went to the ER, and they numbed my eyes.  That helped.

I broke my fibula when I was 20.  Not across, but up.  I jumped off a roof and landed wrong.  That hurt, but the real pain was getting the cast off and walking again for the first time.  I went to work the day after, and was on my feet for 10 hours.  The pain in my heal was unreal.  Can’t even describe it.

But the worst pain?  For me, it was gall stones.  Absolutely unbearable.  I like to think I can handle pain.  I had the surgery and didn’t use pain meds and went to work the very next day.  I can handle it.  But the pain from the gallstones themselves?  I’d rather die than go through that again. 

I have an amputated thumb from an industrial accident, and have had dislocated kneecaps and several broken bones.

Nothing even comes close to the pain of my hemorrhoidectomy.  6 weeks of excruciating pain. 

10 minutes ago, bbb said:

I have an amputated thumb from an industrial accident, and have had dislocated kneecaps and several broken bones.

Nothing even comes close to the pain of my hemorrhoidectomy.  6 weeks of excruciating pain. 

Yeah. The anal fissure along with a little hermie right next to it don’t feel very good. Hard to tell which one is worse. The dr wasn’t the best. “Here, take this ointment 2-3 times a day for 3 weeks” his assistant.... “yeah, you won’t fee anything different for at least the first 3 weeks”

great. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Until you’ve had an Anal Fissure, don’t talk to me. 

My broken leg in HS football does not compare to the horrific repercussions from a lower GI/anal fissure....and the resulting fissure hunt fun and games. 

Did you get the full “colonoscopy without the anesthesia” treatment?  “Bend over”, they tell you. Umm, OK? “Hey! Who’s driving that school bus up my @ss and where do you think you’re going?” 

Edited by Augie

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

My broken leg in HS football does not compare....

Did you get the full “colonoscopy without the anesthesia” treatment? “Hey! Who’s driving that school bus and where do you think you’re going?” 

I’ll take it you’ve never had an anal fissure.

Ive had broken legs. Broken tibia, compound fracture up near my knee from stress on my tibia pushing my fibula right off my my Talus. Tearing 3 of the major ligaments and 3 of the major tendons in my ankle. It was painful. The worst part of it all was waking up in the morning and feeling the blood rush through my ankle/foot. Excruciating pain. But still doesn’t compare to a cut in your @sshole. Or trigiminal neuralgia. Or gout. 

I was involved in a serious car accident 12 years ago.  The initial pain of many of the injuries I suffered was pretty bad, but the pain that ruled them all didn't happen until a week after the accident.  I needed surgery to repair a tibial plateau fracture of my left knee so back to the hospital I went for surgery.  Realign bone,  insert screws and done...well when I woke up after that surgery I was in pain that words cannot describe.  I was flailing around on the bed screaming.  The nurse asked me for my pain score on a 1-10 scale and I screamed 20 at her.  They were able to get some more meds on board pretty quickly, but the five minutes it took felt like hours.  

At my follow ups the doc kept asking if I wanted the screws out......Never!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pain that will make you puke. 

Kidney stones. 

Imagine someone flicking your nads hard for an hour straight.  

I had a kidney stone and I felt something coming on - I just could not get comfortable no matter how I sat. I called my buddy who is prone to kidney stones and gave him my symptoms - he said that it sounded like a kidney stone based on his numerous experiences so I started on the way to the hospital.

The bad thing about kidney stones is while they are extremely painful, they aren't going to kill you - so when you're sitting in the emergency room in agony (enough pain to make you puke), lots of people get seen before you do. When I finally got to see  doc he put in an IV, said he would send me for scans to see how big the stone was and left. About an hour later a nurse came by and asked how i was doing - I said I could really use something for the pain and he answer was "well, even though you're  big guy, I'm not sure we can give much more morphine" to which I exclaimed "I'm already ON MORPHINE???!!!" Damn - if that's how I felt being on a large dose of morphine I can't imagine what it would have been with no drugs - probably just would have run off the parking garage roof to end it all.

Never get a kidney stone,

1.  I never went to the doctor, but I'm sure I broke my tailbone in 1996.  Drunk.  Slipped on the ice on my way into a bar.  But it was right after I made out with my lesbian friend, which I still consider one of my greatest accomplishments, ever.  Anyway, it's been over 20 years and if I sit too long, it still hurts.

2.  I know this isn't technically an "injury," per se, but I had a vasectomy last October.  I don't know if just having local anesthesia is normal these days (doc seems pretty old school), but I can honestly say - without a doubt - that it was the worst, most excruciating pain I've ever had to endure.  It was nearly an hour of absolute, pure hell and the list of people I'd wish that kind of pain upon is very, very short (no one on this site - yes, even @DC Tom).  

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ll take it you’ve never had an anal fissure.

Ive had broken legs. Broken tibia, compound fracture up near my knee from stress on my tibia pushing my fibula right off my my Talus. Tearing 3 of the major ligaments and 3 of the major tendons in my ankle. It was painful. The worst part of it all was waking up in the morning and feeling the blood rush through my ankle/foot. Excruciating pain. But still doesn’t compare to a cut in your @sshole. Or trigiminal neuralgia. Or gout. 

Oh NO! Maybe I was unclear, I’m afraid! The leg was no big deal. I had an abscess in my lower GI tract. I’m NOT kidding, it was a friggin’ colonoscopy without the anesthesia to go look for it! Nothing subtle there....bend over this table and bite the towel kind of stuff! It was the result of a fissure, and they put me in the hospital on a Friday night for emergency Saturday surgery to avoid infection from the abscess. My doctor kept saying “I’m going to cut you a new @sshole!” Over and over! I did not find it as amusing as he did. 

After surgery he told my wife it was basically gone. Apparently the IV antibiotics for a day knocked it out pronto, but they didn’t bother with a new CT scan. Unfortunately, the “after affects” of the unnecessary surgery went on for most of a decade. 

I don’t know what the middle one is, but I know gout is awful too, and that’s enough “knowledge of the awful” for me! 

I apologize for TMI and any nightmares this may cause others. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

In ninth grade I hit my head on the ice while skating. Threw up a couple hours later.  Saw flashing lights and had headaches many times over the next few weeks. I’m pretty sure it was a concussion. My mom took me to a neurologist a few days later, but there wasn’t really anything he could do or say other than I should rest for a week or two. 

4 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

In ninth grade I hit my head on the ice while skating. Threw up a couple hours later.  Saw flashing lights and had headaches many times over the next few weeks. I’m pretty sure it was a concussion. My mom took me to a neurologist a few days later, but there wasn’t really anything he could do or say other than I should rest for a week or two. 

That explains a lot.  ?

Imagine that in football you historically hide that stuff and try to get back in ASAP.