Josh Allen: A fawn in headlights

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He was rattled. He got happy feet pretty early on in the game.

I agree. But it was his first time being like that, and you could sense he still had that fire. He still believed till late in the game, and then you could feel he wanted to avoid the shutout. So yes he was rattled but not mentally defeated. I like that.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you feel the same way about Darnold? Should McCown have taken over at halftime yesterday? Once the rookie is named the starter they remain the starter. If every rookie that had a bad half was pulled none of them would ever develop. This is typical overreaction to a single game.

Darnold hasn't been anywhere near as bad as Allen was yesterday. Also, we had that reaction after Peterman was that bad after one half last year (even though three of the five INTs weren't totally his fault), and again this year.

The only reason we're giving Allen a complete pass for yesterday is because we spent so much to get him. The lengths everyone is going to cover up his bad play by blaming everyone else is comical.

Edit: also, re your other comment...I didn't count any drops yesterday. Just a bunch of badly missed throws.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

If you averaged out all the QBs in the league (both good and bad ones), it probably takes around 2.5 seconds to read a defense.

The really good ones like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, etc. are closer to the 2 second mark.  The bad ones are usually closer to the 3 second mark.

It's only a split second.  But that split second is often the difference between Pro-Bowl stars, and guys who fail in this league.

The most obvious drawback for Josh Allen's game right now, is that he's really slow at reading a defense.  Which is completely understandable at this point.  Our hope is that with experience seeing defenses in front of him, he will continue to shave that reaction time down. 

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Darnold hasn't been anywhere near as bad as Allen was yesterday. Also, we had that reaction after Peterman was that bad after one half last year (even though three of the five INTs weren't totally his fault), and again this year.

The only reason we're giving Allen a complete pass for yesterday is because we spent so much to get him. If he was any other QB this fan base would be freaking out, and rightfully so. 

And because we have actually seen Allen play well. Peterman's last good game was against Clemson 2 years ago. 

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Perhaps the fact that he was sacked 7 times and his eyes were as wide as saucers were slight hints that he lacked confidence just a tad.

First year doesn't count, at all. If this were year 2? Yes, I'd be worried, but game 3? Not even the slightest bit. I believe in 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances if I see an upward trajectory.

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep and when Allen hits similar tight window throws to Andre Holmes or Zay Jones or Kelvin Benjamin they can't hang on.

Ok, great. Then we can definitively blame the receivers and say “get this stud some help at wideout “.

But when Allen turtles and holds the ball and gets sacked, that’s on Allen.

Josh Allen was always the biggest project of the "big 4" QBs.  Very high ceiling, but a lower floor based on his current development.  We're going to have to be very patient with this kid.  And yes, it will sting watching Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold put up more impressive numbers than our guy for the next year or so, but drafting Allen was always about the longterm outlook.  This team sucks top-to-bottom anyway, so there's really no point in whining about not having an NFL ready guy in there.  The hope is that Josh grows with the rest of the roster over the next 2 to 3 years.  If he looks like he did yesterday in the middle of year 2, then I'll start to worry.  But the guy basically has a pass from me this year, so long as he continues to compete and show that he's a good leader/teammate. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lets' face it...

When a California kid goes to a tough place to play for the first time, and turns in a performance where he completes less than 50% of his passes, throws for zero TDs, gets picked twice by a no-name defender, succumbs to pressure, and gives up a fumble near the endzone, and does all of this against a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year, that QB is pretty much doomed to failure.

Of course, I'm not referring to Josh Allen yesterday; I'm referring to the last Buf vs. GB game in 2014, when Aaron Rodgers was 17/42 for 195 yards and 0 TDs with 2 INTs and a fumble resulting in a safety that ended the game.

Rodgers had been in the league for 9 seasons already, and Allen was playing for Wyoming 9 months ago.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Lets' face it...

When a California kid goes to a tough place to play for the first time, and turns in a performance where he completes less than 50% of his passes, throws for zero TDs, gets picked twice by a no-name defender, succumbs to pressure, and gives up a fumble near the endzone, and does all of this against a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year, that QB is pretty much doomed to failure.

Reveal hidden contents

Of course, I'm not referring to Josh Allen yesterday; I'm referring to the last Buf vs. GB game in 2014, when Aaron Rodgers was 17/42 for 195 yards and 0 TDs with 2 INTs and a fumble resulting in a safety that ended the game.

Rodgers had been in the league for 9 seasons already, and Allen was playing for Wyoming 9 months ago.

I wonder if one of these analytic dweebs who insists on drilling down to the marrow in order to make a point,  no matter how vapid,  could do an analysis on the worst road performances by nine year veteran QBs. 

Edited by K-9

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure people are outraged (beyond the odd one). But even those of us who expected it to be bad are still going to comment on games and say "that was bad." What is the alternative? Don't comment on any games until week 10 or week 12 because we all knew this was a development year for our young players? 

I expected this season to be bad, yesterday was really bad, so when commenting on the game there are going to be negatives. Equally it isn't time to freak out. I don't see much freaking out either to be honest. 

really?  all i've seen over the last 48 hours is adult outrage.  i completely understand that it's expected after a loss, and i'm not referring to a rational discussion as to why this is happening.  i'm referring to posters just "knowing" that allen will never be good.  meatheads coming up with mcclappity and mcdumbass, and virtually high fiving over it.  posters calling for the firings of the staff, etc.  there's a ton if it right now.  most of it's entertaining, but there's some who really think that way.  for years as bills fans we've heard fans screaming for a tear down and rebuild of this team so we didn't have to endure another 7-9 season.  well...now we have it, and the very people calling for it are the ones who can't handle it.  discuss away.  

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Perhaps the fact that he was sacked 7 times and his eyes were as wide as saucers were slight hints that he lacked confidence just a tad.

the "eyes wide as saucers" comment is about has useful as saying "he has a round face".   Neither has a damned thing do with this confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

really?  all i've seen over the last 48 hours is adult outrage.  i completely understand that it's expected after a loss, and i'm not referring to a rational discussion as to why this is happening.  i'm referring to posters just "knowing" that allen will never be good.  meatheads coming up with mcclappity and mcdumbass, and virtually high fiving over it.  posters calling for the firings of the staff, etc.  there's a ton if it right now.  most of it's entertaining, but there's some who really think that way.  for years as bills fans we've heard fans screaming for a tear down and rebuild of this team so we didn't have to endure another 7-9 season.  well...now we have it, and the very people calling for it are the ones who can't handle it.  discuss away.  

Adult outrage indeed. And it’s indicative of how ridiculous fans can be. No where in any of that adult outrage is one, small tip of the hat to Pettine and the schemes he devised to confuse a rookie QB in one of the NFL’s toughest road venues. Never mind that Pettine has done that to good veteran QBs over the years and that we used to give him that credit when he was running our defense. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, teef said:

I know, right? The funny thing is with QBs, they are different from every other position in football, truth is, even average QBs can turn into good ones when they hit 30 and hell they may even play till their 40. QBs like Mahomes and Watson are anomalies, not the standard, you got to give them credit, they're exceptional. Look at QBs like Josh McCown, career backup for 75% of his career, now here he is in his 30s and he's actually a decent QB. Hell, Andy Dalton was OK for years now I think at 30 his best football is still ahead of him. QBs are like fine wine, they get better as they age. Even Bortles and Mariota I'd still say the jury is out on them. Bills fans may not want to hear but it may take awhile before Allen fully develops, fans want it now, but it may take awhile.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Darnold hasn't been anywhere near as bad as Allen was yesterday

I couldn't disagree more. He was terrible against the Browns. And I would take Enuwa and Anderson over anyone we have here. But that doesn't mean Darnold is a bust. Goff looked really terrible his rookie year. Look at him now. This year is a wash for the rookies. I just want to see Allen develop and hopefully play his best ball at the end of the season.

39 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Edit: also, re your other comment...I didn't count any drops yesterday. Just a bunch of badly missed throws.

Really? Holmes and Jones both dropped well thrown balls in tight coverage. Holmes dropped a sure 1st down completion which Allen threw to the sideline on a rope. If you don't consider that a drop you aren't being fair.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Adult outrage indeed. And it’s indicative of how ridiculous fans can be. No where in any of that adult outrage is one, small tip of the hat to Pettine and the schemes he devised to confuse a rookie QB in one of the NFL’s toughest road venues. Never mind that Pettine has done that to good veteran QBs over the years and that we used to give him that credit when he was running our defense. 

that's no excuse for 16 for 33 and 150 yards, not recognizing the blitzes or having a mental plan on how to deal with it

Outrage is being a Bills fan and going well over 2 decades waiting on a QB to get it

Edited by ddaryl

23 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

But when Allen turtles and holds the ball and gets sacked, that’s on Allen.

It depends on the play. I don't know if he was missing open receivers or not. If there are no open receivers and he tries but fails to leave the pocket that isn't his fault. On some plays the sack is the right decision. If he's missing hot routes that's on him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

that's no excuse for 16 for 33 and 150 yards, not recognizing the blitzes or having a mental plan on how to deal with it

You took my post as offering an excuse for Allen vs. offering a compliment to Pettine? Allow me to capsulize:

Allen sucked.

Pettine was a huge reason for that. 

As for excuses, Allen certainly doesn’t seem to be offering any. Why should anyone else? 

Just now, K-9 said:

You took my post as offering an excuse for Allen vs. offering a compliment to Pettine? Allow me to capsulize:

Allen sucked.

Pettine was a huge reason for that. 

As for excuses, Allen certainly doesn’t seem to be offering any. Why should anyone else? 

Yes I did... I don't think it was anything else but that 

Allen had options he just didn't see them or make the right calls