The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard Eviscerates Allen’s Week 2 Performance

Midwest1981

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Well the ONE thing he was supposed to be good at ended up being one of his biggest flaws this game...

His ability to throw the ball downfield with ease & to hit WR's deep in stride was the main positive trait he had in regards to actual on-field ability. Yet he severely under threw several receivers on routes that would've been sure-thing TD's had he only hit them in stride. A few could've been picked off or just dropped in the dirt had it not been for some great awareness & heads-up plays by the receivers, adjusting their routes & cutting back to catch the ball behind them. 

Missing those short & intermediate passes? We knew he was inaccurate. Getting sacked a ton? We knew our O-line was one of the worst in the league. Poor decision-making? He was never known for his ability to read a defense, is a rookie, and had his first start, so that's not a shock. Throwing those INT's? When the O-line sucks, that's what happens...ask Peterman. 

So yeah, his performance was bad. All signs heading into the season pointed to him playing just like this. Unfortunately, he also failed at the one thing he's supposed to excel at...It's ok though, I'm sure that won't last, and that he'll not under throw so many people the more time he has to play.

As to the first bolded I think we were sold a bill of goods on his ability to hit the long ball.  He's probably thrown 10 or so in PS and RS and I have yet to see one completed that was put on the money in stride.  Still waiting.

As tot he second bolded, those picks were NOT the OLines fault.  OLInes fault that guys got in to hang on him, but throwing it into a crowd as opposed to out of bounds is ALL ON HIM.  The other pick was just a horrible throw. 

As to asking Nasty Nate about picks.  Good call.  It's one QB thing he knows a lot about.

Edited by reddogblitz

You could tell who was going to show up in this thread before it was opened.

Seems you miserable sacks have found a leader. Going from show to show to proclaim bust after 1½ games. 

Spread across the interwebs... Spread the word and ye shall pat thyself on the back. Because twas ye that foretold the great bust.

*Just be sure to leave that caveat in case he turns out ok.

This Ledyard kid (?) is unbearable. He's moodily replying to every single counter tweet and has YET to offer any real, substantial evidence for his opinion. He's beyond unprofessional and frankly seems a little dumb. How do some of these nerds get these jobs?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Per their website, he coaches HS football so he's probably played a day or two.  What position he's played and how well he's equipped to assess a QB, is another question.

Someone who hasn't played football can study the game and watch film and develop some insight, so I can't dis off someone on those criteria alone.  But you're right it's a problem.  Fundamentally, anyone can develop a platform, hang out their shingle as an expert, and wind up being given mainstream media airplay (Ledyard was on Shoop and the Bulldog).  The difference between success and failure there, is not expertise, but ability to generate clicks and attract followers, which is more easily done if one has outrageous takes that generate controversy, than if one has a balanced take and a nuanced analysis.  That's the problem.

Couldn't agree more. I put a lot more value in the "football people"... the scouts that really know this stuff, not some random dude and his "hot takes"

Edited by CLTbills

43 minutes ago, Nelius said:

This Ledyard kid (?) is unbearable. He's moodily replying to every single counter tweet and has YET to offer any real, substantial evidence for his opinion. He's beyond unprofessional and frankly seems a little dumb. How do some of these nerds get these jobs?

He did post 9 different videos breaking Allen's start down.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Analytics guy.  Works for "The Draft Network". 

Graded Allen out as a Day 2 Guy and made some hyperbolic statements post-draft that he now must continue to justify.

Well, so far Allen is helping him justify.  Plenty of games to go however.

What is earthshaking about this assessment? When you play a rookie Qb in the NFL you need to have a good o-line, run game, decent wideouts and a good defense to keep you in it! IF you hope to win enough to be above .500 ! Allen certainly doesn’t. Not one of these rookie QBs except Rosen has really good footwork. They all need improvement in many ways!

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I hear you, but at the same time - there was something in James body language pre snap that said to me "He's coming!".   

At some point, it seems to me, an NFL lineman has got to say "know that's the call, gotta get THIS guy"

I think this is where losing Eric Wood is hurting. He was always calling protections and would have been a huge help for Allen as he learns how to read defenses.

"hot take" - you flatter me. it is simply one observation i was not stating a hard fact or rule. i agree with most of the rest of your assessment.

allen himself said the game is faster than he expected. and of course it is, his own experiences have been at a slower pace. i don't know about you, but when something is new to me i have to practice it a bunch of times, and slowly, to get it right. i'm a musician and i think the experience is similar. i decided to learn drums in the past year. trying to drum an normal speed at first was impossible. i was terrible. i got hours of practice in at a slower pace, concentrating on what i was really trying to do. one day i woke up and suddenly certain beats were easy to play.

our brains are plastic but it takes time for change. Allen has not played at this speed yet. now he is. as his brain adjusts itself to fit his new experiences, he will improve.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fitz re-signed with the Bucs before Free Agency started. 

All the free agents essentially sign before Free Agency starts, even before the tampering starts.

One of our guys sits down next to his agent at a bar or a Starbucks and has a 'hypothetical' conversation where interest is gauged, then the deal is roughed out.

Evidently we weren't interested (at least, not at the $3.3 million + incentives he got from the Bucs)

Or maybe he wasn't interested, after feeling out their plans at WR and OL - we honestly don't have anything close to what he's working with in Jax

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All the free agents essentially sign before Free Agency starts, even before the tampering starts.

One of our guys sits down next to his agent at a bar or a Starbucks and has a 'hypothetical' conversation where interest is gauged, then the deal is roughed out.

Some do and others do not.  Fitz was officially signed by the Bucs before he had a chance to hit the market since it was a re-signing vs. moving to another team.  It's mostly 1st tier guys who have deals done before or during the "legal tampering" period. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

8 hours ago, PeterDude said:

Well, so far Allen is helping him justify.  Plenty of games to go however.

Horseradish.  Allen played a typical rookie game.  He had some great throws, he missed some blitz pickups, he failed to see some wide-open receivers, and he had some inaccurate throws, especially when he rolled out of the pocket and didn't re-set properly before throwing.  Should anyone be writing his nomination for "ROY", Nope.

Was he "utterly awful" and "brutally bad in a myriad of ways"?  Give me an F'in break, No.  No, he was Not. 

Certainly not for a rookie making his first start with a run game that is mis-firing, a questionable OL and no great WR.  If he's still doing all that at the end of the season, or next season, then sure, justified.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Some do and others do not.  Fitz was officially signed by the Bucs before he had a chance to hit the market since it was a re-signing vs. moving to another team.  It's mostly 1st tier guys who have deals done before or during the "legal tampering" period. 

Good point, yes, I was casting Fitz as a "more desireable WR" who would be sought out early, and except to the Bucs he probably is not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Was Mayfield's game last night a typical rookie game?  Why does it not look the same as Allen's rookie game?

Because the Jets prepared for Tyrod, and Mayfield was the number 1 pick which we had no chance of getting. He also has better weapons and a more stable offensive line, so what’s your point?