Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

He looked like a rookie out there all right, but a super talented one! He missed some blitzes, misread some plays, looked left first when he should gone right, etc. All these you sense he can and will clean up his act with experience so it is exciting.

Even in preseason he had shown he could master the clock. Hell he's way ahead of Tyrod in two minute drills!

He is tough to bring down, which this time cost an INT and should have also caused a fumble. Still, overall, that should help.

As for the more worrisome aspects, it's the first game of his 5 outings so far I found his inaccuracy troubling, as it seems it might be a recurring pattern. Before this game, I felt it was just needless parroting of this supposed trait.

While he throws darts and bombs as good as anyone, we don't see many throws with anticipation, if any. Is it something he'll learn overtime or never be good at? No one can tell now. His high score on the Wonderlic test makes me hopefully he'll quickly improve. Exciting.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Really? Tell me more. Break it down for me, coach.

Poorly accurate ball to wide open Dimarco that he had to spin around and cost him a good 15 yards.  A miss to a wide open crossing Marcus Murphy thrown behind and above him.

Allen wasn't horrible.  He was inconsistent. He had some wow plays and some bad plays.  

58 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Positives

Stands tall in the pocket and is not phased by the rush

Goes through his progressions

Can make any throw 

Mobility and toughness

Isn’t Nate Peterman

Negatives

Doesn’t recognize pre-snap looks (shifts, blitzes, protection adjustments)

Footwork regressed today

Drifts sideways under pressure instead of stepping up into a muddy pocket

Doesnt trust his eyes - waits too long to make throws to open receivers 

Mental clock is still too slow

Accuracy remains an issue 

I intend to wait until the post preseason is over at the end of the month before I get too critical but so far, your analysis is exactly what I'm seeing. BTW, the much-maligned O line gave Allen a ton of time to throw today most of the time. 

Now think about Peterman getting most of the first string reps in camp and getting all the first string reps for the Ravens game. 

Allen really hasn't played that much with the starting offense so his timing and getting to know what to expect from each receiver should get better as the season goes on. 

Now, If Daboll can get the run game working to help this rookie out he won't always be passing and be in third and longs. 13 touches is not enough for McCoy and 39 yards rushing didn't cut it either. 

Five sacks today and it could have been much worse If Bosa had played. 

So much is wrong with this offense right now and the least of the worry is the QB. 

3 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Allen's accuracy issues weren't exaggerated at all. 

Can't say I feel great about picking him right now.

I am sure with the speed of the game and the pressure he felt in the first half, he forgot some of the things he had worked on in the preseason to improve his accuracy.   He made some very nice throws today as well.  What about those?   With a rookies qb. You look for positives, and there were plenty.  It is easy to find flaws with a rookie qb making his first start. But come on, get real.   Brady would not have looked good in the first half with the lack of protection Josh had to deal with.  Slow down and enjoy watching him grow.   What is the point in being so negative?

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Now think about Peterman getting most of the first string reps in camp and getting all the first string reps for the Ravens game. 

Allen really hasn't played that much with the starting offense so his timing and getting to know what to expect from each receiver should get better as the season goes on. 

Now, If Daboll can get the run game working to help this rookie out he won't always be passing and be in third and longs. 13 touches is not enough for McCoy and 39 yards rushing didn't cut it either. 

Five sacks today and it could have been much worse If Bosa had played. 

So much is wrong with this offense right now and the least of the worry is the QB. 

Great points.  Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

No doubt the OL is putrid, but that does not lead to total duress every time Josh throws the football.

There were plenty of plays where it was fair to judge Josh based on what he was in control of.  Things are not totally out of his control on all plays, though many here like to suggest that is the case.

Obviously if pass blocking is blown on a given play and Josh is immediately under duress, that play should be thrown out in terms of evaluating Josh.  But there are many others where he can be judged.

He is not anticipating open receivers, he is throwing way late consistently, and his ball placement/accuracy is pretty bad.  

These are the things he will need to improve and will be interesting to follow throughout the year.

So I am going to give  Allen a few YEARS  to develop.  Not a game, not a few games.  At least a few seasons. 

Others can pick apart every play but IMO he is learning and he has a lot to learn. 

• Like (+1) 2

For someone with such a big arm, too many times he plays like he doesn't. Same stuff happened at Wyoming. 

The kid is mentally flawed and it will never change. He will always be the same player due to his mental limitations. Whether here or Wyoming. 

Edited by Ittakestime

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

For someone with such a big arm, too many times he plays like he doesn't. Same stuff happened at Wyoming. 

The kid kid is mentally flawed and it will never change. He will always be the same player due to his mental limitations. Whether here or Wyoming. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

His accuracy is better than I imagined, I was expecting a guy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but that simply has not been the case! That throw to Benjamin between two defenders for the first down was very encouraging to me, not to mention Allen is very hard to bring down, strong runner, I'd like to see more QB sneaks in short yardage situations, Allen is very good at it.

It's only one game though, he WILL have some bad games though but today, the game did not seem too big for him and he did not seem overwhelmed. That's huge to me, the fact that he did not seem overwhelmed today is by far the most encouraging aspect to today's game. I will not jump ship on Allen until it seems like the game is too much for him, until then I will ride it out until he cuts his teeth.

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

So I am going to give  Allen a few YEARS  to develop.  Not a game, not a few games.  At least a few seasons. 

Others can pick apart every play but IMO he is learning and he has a lot to learn. 

I'm afraid the days of developing a QB for years before making a determination are over. No one does that anymore which is why it was such a bad decision to throw Josh in there this early. He's going to get this season to show improvement. If he shows enough he'll get next season too, or at least most of it unless he's terrible. 

The issue is you can't afford to lose the locker room at the expense of developing a QB. They're important, but not THAT important. At some point a young QB needs to show he's worth it, and most guys only get a season or two now to do that.