Accountability

Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Whenever a coach says “I have to look at the tape” it is a massive red flag.

Because it’s 100% indicator that he lacks sufficient recall, which is incredibly important for a quality game manager.

It shows that he’s not fully aware of what is going on during the course of a three-hour game. A person who isn’t aware will not make proper decisions - whether it be personnel, scheme adjustments, clock management, etc.

It is a big problem, folks.

That's only true if he actually has to look at the tape and it isn't just an excuse to not answer right now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Whenever a coach says “I have to look at the tape” it is a massive red flag.

Because it’s 100% indicator that he lacks sufficient recall, which is incredibly important for a quality game manager.

It shows that he’s not fully aware of what is going on during the course of a three-hour game. A person who isn’t aware will not make proper decisions - whether it be personnel, scheme adjustments, clock management, etc.

It is a big problem, folks.

What you say could be true but it is more likely that it’s McD’s go to move when he wants to deflect from directly answering pointed questions. 

21 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

And yet he was fired after his outburst and had to wrap up his career in the UFL, because he was radioactive. Don't you think that's telling?

Yeah I don't think you really know the Dennis Green story, dude.

He was a mess off of the field and therefore a big liability risk for any organization.

He also had a rep for being in constant clash with management in Minnesota so after 13-14 years as a HC when he finally stopped winning he got fired.

Talking about his team to the media was not his issue.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

TBN story on why Davis was a scratch: "Positional flexibility is what led the Buffalo Bills to making Vontae Davis inactive on Sunday.

Or perhaps, a lack of positional flexibility. “There's a lot that went into that decision,” coach Sean McDermott said Monday. “No. 1 is getting the right guys on the field, who we feel are the right guys. … With respect to Vontae as it relates to the DB numbers you can have up, he doesn't really give us the flexibility on special teams or the ability to move inside.”

:doh:

Edit:  OK, does this make sense to anyone?  The guy was signed to be a starter, now all of a sudden you discover you need your hoped-for starting DB to play special teams?  Why'd you sign him then?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

And, fortunately for him, he never coached in a division dominated by the greatest qb of all time. Context is important.

Oh stfu with that whiny Patriot-excuse nonsense.........Favre and Holmgren will be going to the HOF on the strength of those years with the Packers that ran concurrent to Green's run in Minnesota........and Green still got to the playoffs 8 times in 9 years with 7 different QB's.

The Bills went into the season finale with more than 8 wins only once during the drought.........not being able to split with the Patriots every year hasn't been the difference between missing or making a myriad of playoff appearances.:rolleyes:    

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBN story on why Davis was a scratch: "Positional flexibility is what led the Buffalo Bills to making Vontae Davis inactive on Sunday.

Or perhaps, a lack of positional flexibility. “There's a lot that went into that decision,” coach Sean McDermott said Monday. “No. 1 is getting the right guys on the field, who we feel are the right guys. … With respect to Vontae as it relates to the DB numbers you can have up, he doesn't really give us the flexibility on special teams or the ability to move inside.”

:doh:

Edit:  OK, does this make sense to anyone?  The guy was signed to be a starter, now all of a sudden you discover you need your hoped-for starting DB to play special teams?  Why'd you sign him then?

I think it’s a nice way of saying that Vontae has struggled so much that they value a depth player’s flexibility over Davis. In other words, they didn’t want to say that he has stunk... lol. 

I am sure that they are hoping he still returns to form as he continues to get back into game shape after his injury (otherwise they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for week 1 and guaranteed his salary). But yeah, the early returns on Davis are not looking too good. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think it’s a nice way of saying that Vontae has struggled so much that they value a depth player’s flexibility over Davis. In other words, they didn’t want to say that he has stunk... lol. 

I am sure that they are hoping he still returns to form as he continues to get back into game shape after his injury (otherwise they wouldn’t have kept him on the roster for week 1 and guaranteed his salary). But yeah, the early returns on Davis are not looking too good. 

I think Hap’s point is that they were running him with the 1’s since April. He stunk in the pre-season and then they decided that he wasn’t worthy of being active. They hid behind “positional flexibility” even though everyone knows that’s a BS answer. He could have said, “Vontae is still getting back up to speed. He isn’t as far along at this point as he needs to be so we went with Phillip. We hope to have Vontae ready in the not-too-distant future.” It’s just a “don’t lie to me...” kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 9:37 PM, BullBuchanan said:

The public are idiots. Belichick knows this and has given nothing for decades. Most other great coaches are the same. As much as I dislike McD, it's not his job to do the reporters job for them. He's polite to a fault and answers questions. Not getting caught in saying something he shouldn't is a plus in my book.

Coaches that don't do that like Rex, Dennis Greene, and Jim Mora get run out of the league, never to be heard from again.

Well, it all depends upon who your boss is and what they want, right?  Most people work with an unwritten rule:

- don't p*** in your boss's cheerios (don't make your boss look like a fool in public)

Knowledgeable folks (Wawrow for example) have said that after the debacle "I was not privy" press conference, Whaley was gone for the sin of making your boss look bad.

Belichick*** has been winning consistently since his 2nd year in the league.  Success buys you leeway, including the leeway to have your boss support you during debacles like the Pats*** cheating scandals.  And I get the impression that Kraft cares far more about winning and about owning the team than his media image.

Badol can speak for himself, obviously, but I took his point as being that the Pegulas do care about media image.  They don't want to be made to look foolish in the press for their sports team management decisions.  When the team gets blown out and embarrassed in record-setting fashion, the Pegulas look foolish for putting their trust in McDermott and Beane.  I think the inference is that McDermott needs to either coach more effectively so as to curb the blowouts PDQ, or he needs to learn to manage the press better and craft a better narrative to avoid making the Pegulas look foolish. 

Stonewalling/saying nothing is fine - Just Win.  Or at least, if you can't win, lose in a competitive, hard-fought manner with a team that looks well-coached and well-prepared.

I believe, from how they act, that McDermott and Beane came to Buffalo believing they would be given 4 years.  They had time to gut the roster, pile up the dead cap, and rebuild from the ground up in their image.  I think they missed the part about "but don't make your boss look stupid and foolish while doing it".

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Hap’s point is that they were running him with the 1’s since April. He stunk in the pre-season and then they decided that he wasn’t worthy of being active. They hid behind “positional flexibility” even though everyone knows that’s a BS answer. He could have said, “Vontae is still getting back up to speed. He isn’t as far along at this point as he needs to be so we went with Phillip. We hope to have Vontae ready in the not-too-distant future.” It’s just a “don’t lie to me...” kind of thing.

Yes, exactly.  If he's running with the 1s, you must think you can craft a game-day roster with him running with the 1s.

I took the "positional flexibility" as BS

Davis IMHO is one of the places where McBeane showed poor judgment in personnel evaluation/cost-benefit.  EJ Gaines played well for us last year and signed for less money than Davis was brought in for, and right now Davis sucks.  Now every football man makes bad calls from time to time, and I respect not wanting to throw players under the bus in public, but C'mon Man.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

McD tranforming to Dicky J more and more everyday

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Warcodered said:

That's only true if he actually has to look at the tape and it isn't just an excuse to not answer right now.

Why is this so challenging to everyone?  Do you think the Coach wouldn't say the same thing after a big win? The  Coach is not there to spout off at the podium.  He's being paid to be a professional football coach.  Remember, he doesn't get to see the game from the press box, with multiple instant replays, like the fans do at home.  I have no problem with him stating that he needs (wants) to look at the tape.  I would hope he'd want to.  Obviously something...maybe a lot of things...went wrong.  I'm going to give the staff a day or two to figure out what happened.