This one is on the coaches.

GreggTX

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Coaching had nothing to do with it.

Our success last year was the byproduct of 2 things.

First, our quarterback (Tyrod, no longer on team) holds onto the ball better than any QB in NFL history.  He simply won't turn it over.

Second, especially for the first half or so of the season, we had a crazy takeaway rate.

There is no statistic more indicative of winning or losing than takeaway/giveaways.  It's more important as a predictor of success than scoring for God's sake...and we had a fantastic ratio.

You take that ratio away last year and no way in hell do we make the playoffs.  

McDermott's actual in-game coaching was filled with mistakes and tactical miscues.

But last years 0-16 Browns had 5 takeaways against the playoff steelers and they didn't win because Taylor couldn't win the game for them!

27 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Whaley/Ryan > Beane/McD. Let's face it, McBeane backed into the playoffs last year with Whaley/Rex's team. The only unit on the entire team that I've seen any improvement in are the safeties. It looks like this is going to be a very long season to "process"..

Not even close, Ryan already screwed up a good team that was handed so he could do things how he wanted. He wasn't around long enough to screw it up more, but his teams weren't getting better.

Marrone/Whaley > Beane/McD might be a better comparison.

People may hate to admit it, but Marrone had this team starting to move up before leaving and Ryan taking over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

50 million in dead cap space. 

2 pro bowl OL leave in surprises.

The #7 pick has to sit and develop (which I'm OK with). 

This was ALWAYS going to be a tough year. 

This is Buffalo. Weather all the snowflakes people. 

Reminds me of Kelly's first year 

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not even close, Ryan already screwed up a good team that was handed so he could do things how he wanted. He wasn't around long enough to screw it up more, but his teams weren't getting better.

Marrone/Whaley > Beane/McD might be a better comparison.

People may hate to admit it, but Marrone had this team starting to move up before leaving and Ryan taking over.

I agree with this 

15 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I disagree. 

We probably have the least talented team in the league. 

Coaching was a big reason we overachieved last year. 

The players simply didn't execute. We got dominated on both lines, and our QBs were awful. 

QBs? Plural?

This is a joke, Right?

Peterman blew chunks. 

Allen was good.

So help me God if someone cites the fact he threw for 74 yards I'll slap him in the face.

I think our WRs just needed most of the 2nd half to adjust to passes actually being thrown to them and being catchable. Next week when Allen is the starter and they're ready for it, the WRs, particularly Benjamin, can hopefully hold onto those accurate passes they dropped today.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

QBs? Plural?

This is a joke, Right?

Peterman blew chunks. 

Allen was good.

So help me God if someone cites the fact he threw for 66 yards I'll slap him in the face.

I think our WRs just needed most of the 2nd half to adjust to passes actually being thrown to them and being catchable. Next week when Allen is the starter and they're ready for it, the WRs, particularly Benjamin, can hopefully hold onto those accurate passes they dropped today.

Allen was not good. 

He was better than Peterman, but that's saying next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

6 of 15 for 74 yards with 3 sacks against backups in a game that was already over.

If that impresses you I don't know what to say.  To suggest he played well is crazy. 

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

QBs? Plural?

This is a joke, Right?

Peterman blew chunks. 

Allen was good.

So help me God if someone cites the fact he threw for 74 yards I'll slap him in the face.

I'm too lazy to hunt you down, have a friend or family member slap you :lol:

15 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I disagree. 

We probably have the least talented team in the league. 

Coaching was a big reason we overachieved last year. 

The players simply didn't execute. We got dominated on both lines, and our QBs were awful. 

I disagree with you for three reasons:

1) You are a Tottenham fan;

2) Our coaches have not particularly impressed me so far (except for their luck);

3) You are a Spurs fan.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

6 of 15 for 74 yards with 3 sacks against backups in a game that was already over.

If that impresses you I don't know what to say.  To suggest he played well is crazy. 

Don't underestimate the value of his rushing yards and his lack of turnovers!!

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm too lazy to hunt you down, have a friend or family member slap you :lol:

Your "bar" for quality QB play is so low it's crazy. 

Aaron Rodgers played well. Ryan Fitzpatrick played well. Pat Mahomes played well.

Josh Allen played better than Peterman, but he was still awful relative to other good QBs around the NFL yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Aaron Rodgers played well. Ryan Fitzpatrick played well. Pat Mahomes played well.

Josh Allen played better than Peterman, but he was still awful relative to other good QBs around the NFL yesterday. 

You're the guy that would have traded the whole draft to get Winston.  Excuse me if I place no validity in your thoughts on what constitutes a good QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Only Mahomes is fair comparison. You're gonna compare a rookie QB thrown in at 0-40 in bad weather to vets like Rodgers and Fitz?

People can mock all  they want, but the drops were awful including a TD, he scrambled, didn't throw a pick. Did he hold the ball too long? Yes. Did he made a HUGE mistake not feeding Shady the ball and running his own number? Damn right, that was an easy McCoy TD. But those are rookie mistakes that hopefully he will gradually eliminate by playing this year. Will he? Time will tell but his great Wonderlic score combined with his upsides, I think so. Anyway, do the Bills have a choice with the current roster???

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Only Mahomes is fair comparison. You're gonna compare a rookie QB thrown in at 0-40 in bad weather to vets like Rodgers and Fitz?

People can mock all  they want, but the drops were awful including a TD, he scrambled, didn't throw a pick. Did he hold the ball too long? Yes. Did he made a HUGE mistake not feeding Shady the ball and running his own number? Damn right, that was an easy McCoy TD. But those are rookie mistakes that hopefully he will gradually eliminate by playing this year. Will he? Time will tell but his great Wonderlic score combined with his upsides, I think so. Anyway, do the Bills have a choice with the current roster???

I'm comparing him against NFL QBs. 

In no way shape or form can you walk away from yesterday and say Josh Allen had a good game by NFL standards. That's complete idiocy. 

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I dont even think Mahomes is a fair comparison... really no one is except for maybe Darnold at this point. Mahomes sat most of last year, and had all offseason and the week to be the number 1. Peterman and Allen were in a competition constantly splitting reps, and Allen did not practice as the number 1 this week. I also want to defend Allen on that option, it looked initially like a terrible decision, I was pretty upset at first. They showed the replay from behind the QB, and in fairness there was a DE or DT sitting right there, who came off block immediately to swallow McCoy... sure McCoy COULD have broken it, I still think it was probably where Allen should have went. The reason it looked so bad though is when the DT went to hit McCoy, but shady didnt have the ball so the DT gave up on the hit which is why it looked like McCoy was "untouched." Still, should have went to McCoy he is your star - but I dont think it was as bad as it looked. 

Allen stats 6-15 74 yards. Should have easily been about 8 or 9-15 for 100 yards 1TD... if we have WR's who could catch an effing ball (I am not even including Foster's in here, that one was on Josh I think).

2 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

I dont even think Mahomes is a fair comparison... really no one is except for maybe Darnold at this point. Mahomes sat most of last year, and had all offseason and the week to be the number 1. Peterman and Allen were in a competition constantly splitting reps, and Allen did not practice as the number 1 this week. I also want to defend Allen on that option, it looked initially like a terrible decision, I was pretty upset at first. They showed the replay from behind the QB, and in fairness there was a DE or DT sitting right there, who came off block immediately to swallow McCoy... sure McCoy COULD have broken it, I still think it was probably where Allen should have went. The reason it looked so bad though is when the DT went to hit McCoy, but shady didnt have the ball so the DT gave up on the hit which is why it looked like McCoy was "untouched." Still, should have went to McCoy he is your star - but I dont think it was as bad as it looked. 

Allen stats 6-15 74 yards. Should have easily been about 8 or 9-15 for 100 yards 1TD... if we have WR's who could catch an effing ball (I am not even including Foster's in here, that one was on Josh I think).

I saw it to on the run near the endzone. There was a player from the defence that would have had McCoy but noticed he didnt have the ball so let him go and went after Allen. Looked like he was about to tackle McCoy just before the endzone but stopped and went for Allen Instead.

Thanks PolishPrince, I didn't know about another angle.

And to the naysayers, we can say Josh had at least an OK game, which is good, and we don't know until he starts what the Bills have, and then again, until many starts since he got to have his chances at improving! He is the Bills QB now unless McD has a total brain cramp, so why not support him instead of being all negative, waiting for his "inevitable fall" to prove you're right?

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Thanks PolishPrince, I didn't know about another angle.

And to the naysayers, we can say Josh had at least an OK game, which is good, and we don't know until he starts what the Bills have, and then again, until many starts since he got to have his chances at improving! He is the Bills QB now unless McD has a total brain cramp, so why not support him instead of being all negative, waiting for his "inevitable fall" to prove you're right?

I was trying to find it for you but I cant, I saw it on TV live though. 1:08 is the play in question. This shows the side angle and even from this, I think its a dead play... that OLB is running free and honestly broke down nicely to make the play on the either Josh or McCoy. The guy I was referring to in my post is the guy who Mills is blocking, right at the point of possible handoff, he just just runs through Mills' block.... Again, I STILL give the ball to my star RB there if there is any sort of question, but I also cant fault a guy for being competitive and wanting to make the play.

I just know that this team broke my football spirit yesterday. We clearly don't have enough talent to be competitive for at least 2 years. The defense was awful and the offense couldn't beat a college team. We can't address this must talent deficiency in 1 year. Positions that need to be upgraded just to be competent:

WR1

WR2

WR3

LG

C

RG

RT

SOLB

WOLB

DE

CB2

TE2

27 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Allen wasn't great. He wasn't very good. He was good.

He threw consistently catchable balls by NFL standards that were either not pulled in or flat out dropped.

Yeah, he threw for 74 yards in 1 1/2 quarters, but it would have been a lot more along with at least a TD in there if his guys could catch.

Calling him awful is pure lunacy.

• Like (+1) 2

it almost feels like mcdermott set us up for failure.  did he real believe that our qb situation was nfl worthy?  seems he started peterman just to verify that he is not worthy of starting anywhere.  

the o-line is brutal.

wrs brutal.

you get the theme here.  we are years away from being relative.  yes, it is only game one, but the schedule is yes---brutal.

16 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

You forgot the GM and  owner....they put this disaster on the field.  Sure the coaches could have done a better job, but there is only so much you can do with the talent you have.

Yes it starts with the Pegulas.

They entirely mean well.......they aren't pinching a penny at the expense of winning......... but when it comes to football operations they are even more clueless than Ralph.

They basically stand for nothing and fall for anything in the hiring process.

"Discipline.......accountability......faith in our Lord Jesus Christ......yeah.......you know what?....... that's all I need to hear.......that's exactly what Rex didn't bring and so that's what we must need!"

Then they think they are doing the right thing by entirely empowering these people without making them first earn that right.

And their nice-ness is going to come back and bite them when perhaps the *right* HC candidates start saying "your money is no good here" after they fire yet another regime.

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

They were the ones who believed Nate Peterman is a starting QB

They know he isn't a starting QB. You think they traded 2 2nd rounders and used a 1st round pick on Josh Allen to make Nate Peterman the starting QB? There is a plan in place and it requires Allen to develop. Peterman is a placeholder. Nothing we do this year matters.