Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I've been hearing for days about how this severe hurricane is going to hit us. I got the generator gassed and oiled, stocked up on beer and dry goods, cleaned and filled all my water containers, and I'm ready for the storm. Now I hear it's changed course and we'll get 2-4" of rain. This blows.

You'll be pretty damn happy if it misses you. Don't worry.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

yea baby...missing Richmond completely now! Course we have school systems that are off starting today..and every school system is closed Friday..wonder if they reverse course now and open on Friday

I hope it stays on that southern path.  I have no choice but to pick up some very expensive medications and store them in my fridge.  I'd rather not have to deal with the possibility of losing those due to an extended power outage.  I know there are ways to make sure they stay cold, but I don't even want to have to mess with it.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I've been hearing for days about how this severe hurricane is going to hit us. I got the generator gassed and oiled, stocked up on beer and dry goods, cleaned and filled all my water containers, and I'm ready for the storm. Now I hear it's changed course and we'll get 2-4" of rain. This blows.

It's happened here a million times, we get all up in arms and suddenly there's no bread on the shelves and no gas at the pumps then the thing turns and everyone tries to bring all their stuff back to the grocery store, who chucks it.  

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

I hope it stays on that southern path.  I have no choice but to pick up some very expensive medications and store them in my fridge.  I'd rather not have to deal with the possibility of losing those due to an extended power outage.  I know there are ways to make sure they stay cold, but I don't even want to have to mess with it.

that's the problem with these storms..while I am happy it is going to miss Richmond, I have relatives that have houses on Wrightsville beach, relatives in New Bern, relatives in Charleston...someone getting hit and hit hard,,wish the damn thing would just take a hard right and miss us all

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

that's the problem with these storms..while I am happy it is going to miss Richmond, I have relatives that have houses on Wrightsville beach, relatives in New Bern, relatives in Charleston...someone getting hit and hit hard,,wish the damn thing would just take a hard right and miss us all

Some gotta win, some gotta lose... Good time Charlie is singing the blues...

Life ain't fair.  Hope they stay safe.  A lot of help is out there.  Trust the process.

Hurricane Florence Will Slow Down, Hammer Carolinas and Appalachia for Days with Catastrophic Flooding, Destructive Winds

At a Glance

• Florence remains a dangerous Category 4 hurricane.
  • Florence is expected to crawl near or along the coast of the Carolinas at least through Saturday.
  • This will produce catastrophic flash flooding and major river flooding.
  • Life-threatening storm surge will occur near landfall and for some time after.
  • Hurricane and storm surge warnings have been issued.
  • Tropical-storm-force winds may arrive as soon as Thursday.
  • Florence's remnant may linger in parts of the East into early next week.

Hurricane Florence will slow down, performing an agonizing crawl through the Carolinas and Southeast into early next week, producing catastrophic inland rainfall flooding, life-threatening storm surge and destructive winds.

As of Wednesday morning, Florence was centered less than 500 miles southeast of Wilmington, North Carolina, moving northwestward.

One of the few benefits to living in Pennsylvania is that the potential for wild nature mayhem is largely confined to snow.

Few tornadoes, direct hit hurricanes, mud slides, California-style apocalypic wildfires, earthquakes, etc.  The worst Mother Nature has thrown at us this year is Bangladeshian-level downpours and lanternflies. 

Edited by dpberr

Drove from Richmond VA to DC this AM.  The I-95 traffic was bumper to bumper, stop and go the whole way!  Now I'm back in Richmond, and the traffic was normal heading S, but the NB lanes were still the same.  I guess there are a lot of people trying to head N, to clear the hurricane.  Couldn't fly because the only Flights go to Dulles, and that didn't take me where I needed to be.

On Monday, I checked the weather forecast for Richmond Airport, and it was saying 12' of rain on Friday, and another 7-8 on Saturday.  Now, that's all been reduced to 1.4 on Friday and less than 1" on Saturday.

Having gone thru Cat 4 Agnes in 1972, Cat 5 Alicia in Houston in 83, Cat 3 Isabel in Williamsburg in 03, I'm not sorry that we're being spared but really feel for the Carolinas, because so much of that area between the Atlantic, and the beginning of any elevation increases represents 100-150 miles inland.  Flooding will likely be very bad!

23 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

In Richmond yesterday I was at Costco & Wegmans and both were out of bottled water.  There was a long line at Costco of people waiting for an expected water delivery.  I wonder if it ever arrived?  All the "white" groceries were mostly gone; bread, milk, toilet paper and paper towels.  Fortunately, today's forecast says that it will mostly miss us.

6 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Drove from Richmond VA to DC this AM.  The I-95 traffic was bumper to bumper, stop and go the whole way!  Now I'm back in Richmond, and the traffic was normal heading S, but the NB lanes were still the same.  I guess there are a lot of people trying to head N, to clear the hurricane.  Couldn't fly because the only Flights go to Dulles, and that didn't take me where I needed to be.

On Monday, I checked the weather forecast for Richmond Airport, and it was saying 12' of rain on Friday, and another 7-8 on Saturday.  Now, that's all been reduced to 1.4 on Friday and less than 1" on Saturday.

Having gone thru Cat 4 Agnes in 1972, Cat 5 Alicia in Houston in 83, Cat 3 Isabel in Williamsburg in 03, I'm not sorry that we're being spared but really feel for the Carolinas, because so much of that area between the Atlantic, and the beginning of any elevation increases represents 100-150 miles inland.  Flooding will likely be very bad!

In Richmond yesterday I was at Costco & Wegmans and both were out of bottled water.  There was a long line at Costco of people waiting for an expected water delivery.  I wonder if it ever arrived?  All the "white" groceries were mostly gone; bread, milk, toilet paper and paper towels.  Fortunately, today's forecast says that it will mostly miss us.

But more importantly, where did they stand on beer and wine? 

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

same here

Yesterday I was anticipating two days off from work.  Now it looks like I'll have to work both days :(

On 9/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, Augie said:

If you have financing, you will be required to have flood insurance (if you are in a flood zone). If you don’t have financing and are in a flood zone, but you have a brain, you have flood insurance.  It’s cheap if your not in a flood zone, and it’s not THAT expensive if you are. 

The problem with "flood zones" is they cover wide areas so they can get as many as possible paying premiums.   Flood insurance keeps going up and part of that is the building in area near metro area which is right next to waterway which floods.   The only flooding issue we have had was due to ice buildup in sewer grates causing water in my house and that was NOT COVERED.  Neither is damage caused by construction which prevents water from going into drains. 

If it goes up again due to this storm I may drop coverage since I do not have a mortgage.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The problem with "flood zones" is they cover wide areas so they can get as many as possible paying premiums.   Flood insurance keeps going up and part of that is the building in area near metro area which is right next to waterway which floods.   The only flooding issue we have had was due to ice buildup in sewer grates causing water in my house and that was NOT COVERED.  Neither is damage caused by construction which prevents water from going into drains. 

If it goes up again due to this storm I may drop coverage since I do not have a mortgage.

Technically, the flood zones come first and are based upon historical data. They don’t make them bigger to get more people insured/paying premiums. They are independent, data based areas and the insurance companies react to them in pricing their premiums. If you’re not IN a flood zone, the premiums are actually relatively cheap. If you ARE in a flood zone, it would be a mistake to skip the insurance, IMO.