Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

What's your status with all this rain? Is your area seriously impacted? 

In my area (Durham/Chapel Hill) we really caught a break.  Had some localized flooding yesterday (I had to take a circuitous route to work) but I really can't complain at all, compared with what I'm seeing to the east and south.  Never lost power all weekend.

My favorite vacation spot (Bald Head Island) got hammered, however.  Unbelievable flooding.

1 hour ago, eball said:

In my area (Durham/Chapel Hill) we really caught a break.  Had some localized flooding yesterday (I had to take a circuitous route to work) but I really can't complain at all, compared with what I'm seeing to the east and south.  Never lost power all weekend.

My favorite vacation spot (Bald Head Island) got hammered, however.  Unbelievable flooding.

I'm glad it worked out for you. From what I have been watching the aftermath is going to be the big challenge dealing with the flooding, water damage and rebuilding. There are some posters who contend that the destructive nature of the weather was exaggerated by the media (fake news). They are out of touch with reality. The repercussions from the storm is going to be felt for months if not a year or so. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm glad it worked out for you. From what I have been watching the aftermath is going to be the big challenge dealing with the flooding, water damage and rebuilding. There are some posters who contend that the destructive nature of the weather was exaggerated by the media (fake news). They are out of touch with reality. The repercussions from the storm is going to be felt for months if not a year or so. 

The only exaggeration I'm aware of was that ridiculous Weather Channel video of the reporter trying to look like he was being blown over while a couple of people walked by without difficulty in the background.

Wind wasn't the issue with this storm; it's all about the water.  Record rainfall and flooding of rivers.  Anyone trying to minimize the impact is simply incorrect.

They've shown the shot on the news a few times where a section of one of the highways is currently a river.  I forget if it was 40 or 95.  They didn't really say much about the depth of the water, but it was a really cool shot.

2 hours ago, eball said:

The only exaggeration I'm aware of was that ridiculous Weather Channel video of the reporter trying to look like he was being blown over while a couple of people walked by without difficulty in the background.

Wind wasn't the issue with this storm; it's all about the water.  Record rainfall and flooding of rivers.  Anyone trying to minimize the impact is simply incorrect.

Another poster told me about this one, anderson cooper standing in a 3' ditch next to the road.

Image result for anderson cooper faking flooding

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I traveled 200 miles of the state at the end of the event. And then at least 150 miles since. 

That's not just to and from work.  That's all over.

The greater triad, which was told it's get the worst: got nothing

Seriously, sorry if I live in this area and it's not bad.  I've talked to folks from Chatham to Wilkes, Mecklenburg to Orange and only a few past Fayetteville.  Not a single one said it was as bad as the belief is and bad areas are isolated pockets.

I can imagine the area where eball works downtown might be some of the words in the area as there are numerous underpasses and sinking roads that would have flooded.

Oddly, the coastal flooding is not the OB. It's the more insland areas upland of Wilmington, and MI.  The videos I've seen of Wilmington and coastal Carolina are more looters than weather, cops driving past a 100s of !@#$s walking out with goods.  Travesty, actually, and Cooper is proving yet again his incompetence to not send the NG because those are his people.

Pretending like this isn't bad for anyone in my area is not what I'm doing. It's the reality. This storm was overhyped and a joke

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I traveled 200 miles of the state at the end of the event. And then at least 150 miles since. 

Seriously, sorry if I live in this area and it's not bad.  I've talked to folks from Chatham to Wilkes, Mecklenburg to Orange and only a few past Fayetteville.  Not a single one said it was as bad as the belief is and bad areas are isolated pockets.

I can imagine the area where eball works downtown might be some of the words in the area as there are numerous underpasses and sinking roads that would have flooded.

Oddly, the coastal flooding is not the OB. It's the more insland areas upland of Wilmington, and MI.  The videos I've seen of Wilmington and coastal Carolina are more looters than weather, cops driving past a 100s of !@#$s walking out with goods.  Travesty, actually, and Cooper is proving yet again his incompetence to not send the NG because those are his people.

Pretending like this isn't bad for anyone in my area is not what I'm doing. It's the reality. This storm was overhyped and a joke

Before the storm was going to hit it was widely reported that the damage would come more from the rain and the flooding than from the hurricane itself. The deaths are mounting and the flood damage is staggerin. What was predicted has come to pass. Maybe from where vantage point the situation is more placid but this is a storm that is living up to the damage that was predicted. 

I'm very happy for you that you were not too affected by this storm. That is not the case for a lot of people. 

My general point is this is not a hyped storm that didn't live up to what was reported. If you widen your horizon you will get a more accurate perspective. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/us/florence-tuesday-wxc/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/florence-flooding-north-carolina/h_c03241691fa5ccd8827245373f231e43

25 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Glad the storm didn’t impact you, and I agree that the media coverage of the storm was “over hyped” in terms of the potential for high winds.  Especially as the storm grew closer and they know it was going to be a cat 1/tropical storm.  

Many people were affected profoundly, however, regardless of the media phenominalization.  My Uncle, for example, is in remission for prostate cancer and is not healthy enough to work.  He evacuated, but his home was destroyed when a large tree fell on top of it.  He is going to collect a whopping 30K in homeowner’s insurance.  Not enough to buy a new home.  He doesn’t know what he is going to do.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Before the storm was going to hit it was widely reported that the damage would come more from the rain and the flooding than from the hurricane itself. The deaths are mounting and the flood damage is staggerin. What was predicted has come to pass. Maybe from where vantage point the situation is more placid but this is a storm that is living up to the damage that was predicted. 

I'm very happy for you that you were not too affected by this storm. That is not the case for a lot of people. 

My general point is this is not a hyped storm that didn't live up to what was reported. If you widen your horizon you will get a more accurate perspective. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/us/florence-tuesday-wxc/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/florence-flooding-north-carolina/h_c03241691fa5ccd8827245373f231e43

I'll trust those I know before I will a www.

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Another poster told me about this one, anderson cooper standing in a 3' ditch next to the road.

do some research first before believing ANYTHING on the internet..especially if it comes from a certain family that starts with TRUM...BTW this was from Ike in 2008.Watch and learn

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/18/donald-trump-jr-anderson-cooper-debunks-florence-twitter-photo-kth-sot-ac.cnn

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

do some research first before believing ANYTHING on the internet..especially if it comes from a certain family that starts with TRUM...BTW this was from Ike in 2008.Watch and learn

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/18/donald-trump-jr-anderson-cooper-debunks-florence-twitter-photo-kth-sot-ac.cnn

LoL!

Yeah... Zoom in.  AC does look 10 years younger.  Amazing the diff between about 50 & 40!  ?

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL!

Yeah... Zoom in.  AC does look 10 years younger.  Amazing the diff between about 50 & 40!  ?

Cooper looks younger in that shot because he was younger. It was from an early coverage of another hurricane. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=anderson+cooper+responds+to+donald+trump+jr&view=detail&mid=7CF06C62BDFCE8A9B40C7CF06C62BDFCE8A9B40C&FORM=VIRE

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I'll trust those I know before I will a www.

I get it. Don't trust your eyes because they don't correspond what you want to believe. To each their own. 

48 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Where did I say that this was anything current? Read and learn

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Cooper looks younger in that shot because he was younger. It was from an early coverage of another hurricane. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=anderson+cooper+responds+to+donald+trump+jr&view=detail&mid=7CF06C62BDFCE8A9B40C7CF06C62BDFCE8A9B40C&FORM=VIRE

I get it. Don't trust your eyes because they don't correspond what you want to believe. To each their own. 

Yes.  I know.

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Doesn't matter to me when this picture was taken.  Just shows you how a Yale educated child of privilege lacks common sense

Standing water + electrical cables = Brilliant! :w00t:

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Doesn't matter to me when this picture was taken.  Just shows you how a Yale educated child of privilege lacks common sense

Standing water + electrical cables = Brilliant! :w00t:

Yeah... But the surface area is probably too big for measly 110v to do anything with his hip waders on.  I say let's drop a high tension wire to add excitement.

Now... The poor African American helping the Son of Gloria Vanderbilt out?  I feel sorry for!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Where did I say that this was anything current? Read and learn

this may be the most disingenuous post I have seen on here in 18 years 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But the surface area is probably too big for measly 110v to do anything with his hip waders on.  I say let's drop a high tension wire to add excitement.

Now... The poor African American helping the Son of Gloria Vanderbilt out?  I feel sorry for!!!!

He has passed sadly

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does Cooper seek out the lowest point for the purpose of the shot or does the cameraman seek out the highest point for the sake of the equipment?  I would guess that both options are just about as likely.  But that's the fun thing about the internet.  We could spin it however we'd like and an entire legion of sheep would believe either option.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does Cooper seek out the lowest point for the purpose of the shot or does the cameraman seek out the highest point for the sake of the equipment?  I would guess that both options are just about as likely.  But that's the fun thing about the internet.  We could spin it however we'd like and an entire legion of sheep would believe either option.

Ha! Both simultaneously.

I guess AC is trying to show how deep the flood is... Put flood into context and of course Camaramam is like: "WTF am I doing here?  Can't a Brother get a set of hip waders like the pasty white guy gets...Why the hell do My shoes have to get wet!"

Cameraman doesn't look amused.  That's how I am spinning it!

Anyway... Cameraman passed away, as plenzmd1 alluded to?  I vaguely remember this story... What actually happened again, if in fact Camaramam did pass on?

Keep an eye on Invest 98L in the Atlantic.  Will likely form into a Tropical Depression with a small chance of strengthening to a Tropical Storm, but unlikely to strengthen into a hurricane.

Spaghetti models have it hugging the coast along North Carolina tomorrow night or Wednesday for another inch or two of rain

13 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Keep an eye on Invest 98L in the Atlantic.  Will likely form into a Tropical Depression with a small chance of strengthening to a Tropical Storm, but unlikely to strengthen into a hurricane.

Spaghetti models have it hugging the coast along North Carolina tomorrow night or Wednesday for another inch or two of rain

Make my lawn even more green, invest 98L!