Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

We lived VERY close to the water in SC and FL for 30 years (we could hear the boats - it costs an extra million to SEE the boats). Worst I ever got hit by a hurricane was just south of Charlotte. Tree in the kitchen and another on my car. No power for a few weeks, and water took twice as long. I just drove home to Hilton Head with a crushed windshield to find a few pine cones had fallen. Gee, glad we ran away to the in-laws....

Unless it’s a Cat 4-5 we paid little attention. The BIG ONES you had better respect. I love the old Ron White bit on hurricanes, but I’m just too lazy and inept to find the clip. “It’s not THAT the wind is blowing.....it is WHAT the wind is blowing. When that yield sign goes thru your spleen....”  haha, great stuff. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I have very little sympathy/empathy for people that live on beachfront ..most of those people chose to live there...try to find some born and raised beach natives,they are few and far between....

That’s what I like about you, you tell things as is

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I have very little sympathy/empathy for people that live on beachfront ..most of those people chose to live there...try to find some born and raised beach natives,they are few and far between....

Beachfront properties are often second (or third) homes. They are generally well insured and owners can “run away” when it’s appropriate. Still, I will feel for anyone who faces severe loss, and that’s more than just a monetary thing. I’ll never resent anyone because they have more money, and I’ll try to forgive them when they act as jackasses, for whatever reason. 

The people I feel the most for are the people who don’t live ON the water, but those who service them in various ways. The people with the fringe jobs who have to live without power or water in the south in August and do NOT have other options. But those people are also tough, out of necessity. I admire their toughness, their ability to do what they need to do to survive and climb back. We saw that numerous times after hurricanes in FL. The poorest often get hurt the worst. Poor home construction,  no savings, nobody to turn to. I was proud of how our churches and communities stepped in when places got devastated. THAT is what life is all about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Nobody enjoys a visit from Flo

Yeah, nobody wants to kiss her grits.  

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Beachfront properties are often second (or third) homes. They are generally well insured and owners can “run away” when it’s appropriate. Still, I will feel for anyone who faces severe loss, and that’s more than just a monetary thing. I’ll never resent anyone because they have more money, and I’ll try to forgive them when they act as jackasses, for whatever reason. 

The people I feel the most for are the people who don’t live ON the water, but those who service them in various ways. The people with the fringe jobs who have to live without power or water in the south in August and do NOT have other options. But those people are also tough, out of necessity. I admire their toughness, their ability to do what they need to do to survive and climb back. We saw that numerous times after hurricanes in FL. The poorest often get hurt the worst. Poor home construction,  no savings, nobody to turn to. I was proud of how our churches and communities stepped in when places got devastated. THAT is what life is all about. 

I think what he may be getting at that many of these homes get covered by some kind of federal disaster aid which is unfair to the taxpayers.  If you have the money to build and rebuild in an area prone to disaster then I don't care what you do.  Come calling to me the taxpayer that your home is laying in rubble and you want to rebuild in a disaster prone area then I will have a problem with that.  If the Feds want to have a program where the insured pretty much pay  their own way w/o subsidy then I have no problem.  

14 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Post your panic here. Just got the alert that we're in a state of emergency in SC. Looking like an East Coast strike. Pulled the boats, off to buy beer and smoked meats. 

I say Florence, SC takes the direct hit from her namesake. 

Take care!  Ride out to sea w/that shrimper ala Forrest Gump.  Strap Yourself to Mast and have at Flo!

Be safe! Play safe...

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Yeah, nobody wants to kiss her grits.  

I think what he may be getting at that many of these homes get covered by some kind of federal disaster aid which is unfair to the taxpayers.  If you have the money to build and rebuild in an area prone to disaster then I don't care what you do.  Come calling to me the taxpayer that your home is laying in rubble and you want to rebuild in a disaster prone area then I will have a problem with that.  If the Feds want to have a program where the insured pretty much pay  their own way w/o subsidy then I have no problem.  

I’m not aware of any federal assistance for private property. They will help with disaster assistance (water, temporary housing, etc. for everyone), infrastructure, possibly even beach renourishment (but the beaches are public almost everywhere), etc. Insuring your private property is your responsibility. If you are in a flood zone and have any financing, you will be required to have flood insurance. About the only way tax dollars get used, to my knowkledge, is if a property is destroyed and abandoned they might need to raze the site for safety reasons, but even then they would seek reimbursement from the owner via legal means. At least that’s the way I understand it. 

Side note on insurance: we had a tree land on one slope of our tile roof in FL, destroying it. State Farm was willing to pay for only that slope of the house, but you couldn’t match the tile anymore. State Farm paid about $4k, and we had to pay the roughly $24k for the balance of the roof. THAT doesn’t sound like insurance to me. We tried to fight it of course, but got nowhere. We have a different insurance company now. 

Stay safe out there all....I just hope the rain stays south. Locally, we've had close to 20" of rain since July. Flood warnings every couple days it seems. Either 90 degrees and hot as blazes or raining.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

State Farm was willing to pay for only that slope of the house, but you couldn’t match the tile anymore. State Farm paid about $4k, and we had to pay the roughly $24k for the balance of the roof. THAT doesn’t sound like insurance to me.

Well, you know State Farm's slogan...'like a good neighbour, State Farm is there'.  There to say "gee, that's too bad, glad I'm not paying for it!  Got any beer?"

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not aware of any federal assistance for private property. They will help with disaster assistance (water, temporary housing, etc. for everyone), infrastructure, possibly even beach renourishment (but the beaches are public almost everywhere), etc. Insuring your private property is your responsibility. If you are in a flood zone and have any financing, you will be required to have flood insurance. About the only way tax dollars get used, to my knowkledge, is if a property is destroyed and abandoned they might need to raze the site for safety reasons, but even then they would seek reimbursement from the owner via legal means. At least that’s the way I understand it. 

Side note on insurance: we had a tree land on one slope of our tile roof in FL, destroying it. State Farm was willing to pay for only that slope of the house, but you couldn’t match the tile anymore. State Farm paid about $4k, and we had to pay the roughly $24k for the balance of the roof. THAT doesn’t sound like insurance to me. We tried to fight it of course, but got nowhere. We have a different insurance company now. 

When both sides of the books don't balance... That's insurance.  Too many payouts, not enough in.

Profits come first.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It seems like every time a hurricane hits a coastal area there is a reporter talking to a guy who had his million dollar beach mansion wiped out and talking about when the Feds were going to step in.  Does the average guy who is within 10, 20 miles or more of the coast get any aid or assistance?  Probably not but guys who have million dollar homes on the beach donate heavily to political candidates or have connections to high level politicians can get leverage to help their cause.  Devastation in terms of a once in ten year event or in some cases the frequency is more than that would never allow for those not ultra affluent to rebuild 2 or 3 times or more in a 20 year period.  Especially when each rebuild is a million dollars or more.  The impression is that the Feds do step in for the right people.  If somebody knows different for sure then it would be nice if they spoke up.

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When both sides of the books don't balance... That's insurance.  Too many payouts, not enough in.

Profits come first.

Which is why if some company was insuring homes in Galveston or on the Outer Banks for a million dollars or more each the annual premiums would most likely be into six figures to cover the company's risk for each home.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Federal assistance for private property usually takes the form of low-interest loan guarantees, to the best of my knowledge.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

Federal assistance for private property usually takes the form of low-interest loan guarantees, to the best of my knowledge.  

Which would be available to everybody. Some people just like to hate on successful people. Nobody gets their mansion re-built by the government because they know somebody. 

• Thank you (+1) 1