Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

Looks like this is gonna linger over us for a while. Not real worried about the wind in Charleston, but the tide cycle lined up with this storm. Get ready for some major flooding upstate, then flowing down through the rivers. Nothing we haven't seen before! 

Boats been out all week. I've been hunting and day drinking all week. 

Edited by Captain_Quint

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The Weather Channel must be crestfallen.

You're not kidding.

I live in SE FL and go through hurricane scares every year at this time.

The Weather Channel literally does not engage in honest reporting.  It's all sensationalism designed to suck in viewers from areas not affected by the storm, which is most of the country obviously.

There are a couple local meteorologists in my area who keep it real and are very good; you can size up a storm from them pretty accurately.  Meanwhile TWC talks only doom and gloom.

This storm is weakening and isn't going to be a big deal.

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Frying Pan Tower:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frying_Pan_Shoals_Light

Frying Pan Tower live webcam:

Ocean Isle Inn:

https://www.oceanisleinn.com/

Ocean Isle Inn live webcam:

https://www.oceanisleinn.com/webcam

Our flag should have been taken down,it's against code.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JoeF said:

That's my wife KD...run to the danger...usually.  She's a CA kid though and hurricanes scare her for some reason.

We actually did that in high school on the backside of hurricane Gloria.  Headed out during the eye, drove around to check out the action and went to the beach.  Surfers had a rare opportunity to have some fun in LI Sound.  Good times in the days before weather hysteria took over.

40 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You're not kidding.

I live in SE FL and go through hurricane scares every year at this time.

The Weather Channel literally does not engage in honest reporting.  It's all sensationalism designed to suck in viewers from areas not affected by the storm, which is most of the country obviously.

There are a couple local meteorologists in my area who keep it real and are very good; you can size up a storm from them pretty accurately.  Meanwhile TWC talks only doom and gloom.

This storm is weakening and isn't going to be a big deal.

You could see that the last two days with how disorganized the eye had become, but as you said TWC does not report on that. Once they say this strom wont be as big, you lose viewers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Have relatives that live in new bern.. hope they good. They don’t live close to the  Neuce , so they should be fine Have not heard from them yet this morning. 

Son is worried bout his camp, it sits right on the  Neuce. Camp Sea Gull. He has spent most of his summers there last 10 years, last twonas a counselor. Hope that place is good too, such a beautiful place. 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

*yawn*

Weather channel had to save face this morning by finding and standing by down trees and had a guy standing in about 6 inches of water in what looked to be the bottom of a hill near the river.

mind you, you can see right behind them cars driving on roads that were normal, with very little debris.

Yes a lot of rain will come and right by the coast the damage is probably bad, but the way they were talking was this was going to be one of the worst in history.

12 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Weather channel had to save face this morning by finding and standing by down trees and had a guy standing in about 6 inches of water in what looked to be the bottom of a hill near the river.

mind you, you can see right behind them cars driving on roads that were normal, with very little debris.

Yes a lot of rain will come and right by the coast the damage is probably bad, but the way they were talking was this was going to be one of the worst in history.

The next one is always the worst one in history. Just like the news it's about 20% fact, 40% opinion and 40% sensationalism.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I saw enough of this storm that by hype alone I wasn't worried. Local weather said some winds but mostly rain.

You see the hurricane weaken by the hour beginning Tuesday. They kept saying Sunday it would grow and it never did.  When it didn't they kept hyping it.  Water is sold out all over, gas stations are sold out... It's silly.  It's about 170 miles away - not far regarding hurricanes and we have had no rain, barely any wind (just a breeze).

Edit.  The rain from Isaac on top of this will be the worst part.

Edited by Boyst62