Do you curse a lot in real life?

Another Fan

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have an uncle that uses it like a comma. Drives me nuts

Had a girl who worked here like that.   Where most people inject, "ummmm" while they're thinking.  She was say, "f***in'" until she got the word she was looking for.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Had a girl who worked here like that.   Where most people inject, "ummmm" while they're thinking.  She was say, "f***in'" until she got the word she was looking for.

Worst part was he thinks its funny. I just think it makes you look dumb.

JMO. I swear plenty but usually only when driving or trying to be funny. Sometimes you just need an f bomb to land the joke

I curse in my head a lot. My wife is offended by it. At work it is frowned on. I don’t have many people or places in my life to curse without it feeling unwelcome. 

If I curse around my wife it is to prove a point and emphasize my anger. 

I would probably curse much more if I could find a place where I can relax and not worry about offending someone. 

Only around small children... and nuns... and at the elderly... and at kittens... and at my mother... and to add emphasis during the responsorials psalms during Sunday mass...

I’m just kidding, I don’t actually go to church anymore... you know, since I was excommunicated for swearing at the nuns and loudly littering the responsorial psalms with f-bombs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

lots of interesting studies about swearing and the brain - won't link them here since they are easy to google

but basically, they originate in a different part of the brain than normal conversational speech. 

Just a thought: it seems like that would relate to why some people with turrets syndrome swear uncontrollably

1 hour ago, ThunderGun said:

Yeah, probably a bit too much. But they’re just words, as long as you aren’t using deragtory language, who gives a ****?

It's all about the intent behind the words.

Words by themselves mean nothing.

14 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I curse in my head a lot. My wife is offended by it. At work it is frowned on. I don’t have many people or places in my life to curse without it feeling unwelcome. 

If I curse around my wife it is to prove a point and emphasize my anger. 

I would probably curse much more if I could find a place where I can relax and not worry about offending someone. 

We live a very different life, brother.

I swear more than I should and don't even realize it, because most places and situations I find myself in are full of it. I have an aversion to places that I can't relax enough to speak plainly.

To add to that, I not have spent much time trying to purposefully not offend someone (I don't generally go out of my way to try and offend people either). I live MY life, and as I often say, "if you don't like it, find a comfortable distance". Not aggressively really, just plainly- someone else's feelings are not my responsibility. I have been told this makes me "cold" or "aloof" (or other expletives) but it works for me.

Just as a general question- what do you do? I have never met a workplace that isn't at least R-rated, and often times are like a Rob Zombie movie- we would have to clean it up to get an R rating.

11 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

We live a very different life, brother.

I swear more than I should and don't even realize it, because most places and situations I find myself in are full of it. I have an aversion to places that I can't relax enough to speak plainly.

To add to that, I not have spent much time trying to purposefully not offend someone (I don't generally go out of my way to try and offend people either). I live MY life, and as I often say, "if you don't like it, find a comfortable distance". Not aggressively really, just plainly- someone else's feelings are not my responsibility. I have been told this makes me "cold" or "aloof" (or other expletives) but it works for me.

Just as a general question- what do you do? I have never met a workplace that isn't at least R-rated, and often times are like a Rob Zombie movie- we would have to clean it up to get an R rating.

I work for a company that does a lot of work for the government. White collar work. If you work for the government, either directly or indirectly, you are constantly reminded of tolerance, politeness, professionalism, etc.  There are people who are very religious, young mothers, old Gentry types, etc.  Cursing just doesn’t go over well.  In small groups with my peers I can get away with it, but  I have to be so careful that I just train myself to avoid it.