Marrone wants “Zero Turnovers” from Blake Bortles this year

YoloinOhio

People in hell want ice water, Doug.

but seriously - he had this same philosophy with EJ and I thought it made him way too tentative and scared. I think it’s also what led to the Jags getting so conservative at the end of the AFC Championship Game, not trusting Bortles to throw. I mean he’s not a great passer but you have to at least try to take chances through the air. 

I think there is an ideal # of INTs and it’s not zero. Fournette is going to see  a lot of stacked boxes - 1st down handoffs in shotgun all day.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It definitely seems like an unfair, and also unrealistic expectation to be put on Bortles.  While I agree Bortles may not be an elite signal caller by any means, I don't think he's the worst either.  You're also right in that defenses are going to do their best to eliminate Fournette, thus placing even more pressure on Bortles to beat them with his arm.

At the end of the day I have to wonder if Marrone will wish he could un-say that...

Edited by smuvtalker

#analytics

Zero" interceptions is an unrealistic number for any quarterback. Aaron Rodgers, who owns the lowest interception per pass rate in NFL history at 1.6 percent, has never thrown fewer than five in a season since he earned the starting job. 

Marrone, however, doubled down on his point that the quarterback must negate turnovers. 

When asked if he'd trade 15 additional touchdown passes from Bortles if that meant five more INTs than last season, the coach responded, "No." 

"Because I know the turnovers will lead to wins and losses more than the touchdowns," Marrone said.

• Haha (+1) 2

If you focus too hard on not turning the ball over, you don't take chances and miss out on some big plays. (just ask Tyrod). To me, this is akin to the Bears telling Roquan Smith they wouldn't pay his fines for hard hits that are deemed illegal. You draft a player to be aggressive and fly to the ball but then you send him a message that says, if you do take chances, we won't support you.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you have a great defense what would you expect the coach to say about his average quarterback? Sounds like a solid strategy to me. In the simplest of terms...“Don’t beat yourself.”

I go the other way - if you have a great defense you can take more chances 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

#analytics

What a Marrone. He's smart enough to know that TO margin is one of the best predictors of wins. But dumb enough to think that an extra 21 points against 1 TO is a bad trade. That TO can only lead to 8 points the other way, genius. 16 when you consider the opportunity cost of the lost possession. Still less than 21. 

• Like (+1) 1