Peterman/Brees comparison?

ajmac

10 hours ago, bills11 said:

It's not about the numbers..I'm saying I can def see in person and on tv a difference with how hard Flacco throws vs Peterman .just like I can tell when I watch NBA that Russell Westbrook is faster than Kyle Lowry or that Connor McDavid in the NHL skates faster than max pacciorety..point is you can definitely visually perceive things it's not some super complex insight .

I honestly love this place sometimes.

Never change, TBD.

Never change.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Great write up about the difficult of the sideline throw and another reason Brees and NP dont compare.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/4/17808072/buffalo-bills-quarterback-nathan-peterman-and-throwing-velocity-on-sideline-passes-mike-jordan

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. 

I'd really like to see a similar look at other former Bills QBs for comparison -- like Fitz, Tyrod, etc. 

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

I honestly love this place sometimes.

Never change, TBD.

Never change.

Try to actually contribute to a discussion. All you've done this entire topic is respond with juvenile level attempts of sarcasm

you've contributed absolutely nothing. You can disagree with someone while maintaining a level of decorum.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I was going by memory, and memory can be faulty.  Googling the subject pretty much only shows the assessment you've already quoted.  So, with my apologies, I withdraw my assertion about his college scouting reports.

Accepted. 

There *is* a lot of mumbling and muttering about Brees arm strength at present - age 39, Thirty Freakin' Nine.  But, 39.  Did I mention, 39?

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Great write up about the difficult of the sideline throw and another reason Brees and NP dont compare.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/4/17808072/buffalo-bills-quarterback-nathan-peterman-and-throwing-velocity-on-sideline-passes-mike-jordan

Right on!  Quality assessment (though I don't see a thing about Brees in there, which is fine)

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Accepted. 

There *is* a lot of mumbling and muttering about Brees arm strength at present - age 39, Thirty Freakin' Nine.  But, 39.  Did I mention, 39?

Right on!  Quality assessment (though I don't see a thing about Brees in there, which is fine)

I have an issue with this take. Peterman made a very poor decision here and Thomas ran a god awful route. I had enough time to make a sandwich and a pot of coffee by the time he broke his route. If Brett favre throws that pass it gets broken up, best case scenario. Thomas never got the receiver to flip his hips, so he was able to break on the route full steam ahead. That is NEVER what you want, and unless you have enough buffer the pass should not be attempted. Thomas is not anywhere near athletic enough for that route/ doesn't have the route running , and he doesn't even square his shoulders to defend against the DB. He just leaves it wide open.

WR coaches will tell you that alot of the time picks on comebacks and outs are the fault of WR not doing their job correctly. That's true here, but Peterman also has to realize that throw isn't there.

Edited by BullBuchanan

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

Joe Montana didn't have a very strong arm.

Buffalo/Peterman can succeed If Daboll plays to Peterman's strengths in my humble opinion.

Thats true but montana could still make all the throws..the question is can peterman keep the defence honest..he definitely has shown to be extremely accurate in the middle of the field and he gets the ball out quick and goes through his progressions i guess well find out sunday

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This reminds me of the Trent/Joe Montana comparisons.

Trenative became afraid to make a throw, something you cannnot be, which reminds me of how Russ Brandon as acting GM neglected the Oline. ( kinda like Beane just did)

Thus twisting The holy Trent up like a pretzel on the football field.

The end...

Edited by Figster

17 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Thats true but montana could still make all the throws..the question is can peterman keep the defence honest..he definitely has shown to be extremely accurate in the middle of the field and he gets the ball out quick and goes through his progressions i guess well find out sunday

Myself personally, Receivers gotta help a QB out like Petermam.

Rules have made the game safer for a receiver to use his body and they need to give it up or go home IMO.

Edited by Figster

So now that Peterman has been named the starter, mostly due to Allen not being ready to play behind an OL like this one, he has become Drew Brees part deux? Does that make Allen, Phillip Rivers in this equation? 

I want a smart QB who can read a defense and instinctively know where to look, and accurately make the throw to the receiver who has 1 on 1 coverage. We'll soon see if Peterman has adjusted to the speed of the NFL game. I don't care about his 5 pick debacle last year. Alot of great QB's really sucked their rookie year. The good QB's adjust and learn from their mistakes. It's all part of the QB maturation process. Allen is going through it right now. All Qb's have these kind of growing pains. I was not expecting a playoff season. This team is building for 2019 and beyond. I'm going to be interested in how both of our young QB's progress this season.

On another somewhat unrelated note, I think the Bills have discovered a pretty damn good RB2 in Murphy. If Shady can stay healthy these two will be big parts of the Bills offense this year. I like Murphy's seeming versatility. I want to see a lot more of him.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I want a smart QB who can read a defense and instinctively know where to look, and accurately make the throw to the receiver who has 1 on 1 coverage. We'll soon see if Peterman has adjusted to the speed of the NFL game. I don't care about his 5 pick debacle last year. Alot of great QB's really sucked their rookie year. The good QB's adjust and learn from their mistakes. It's all part of the QB maturation process. Allen is going through it right now. All Qb's have these kind of growing pains. I was not expecting a playoff season. This team is building for 2019 and beyond. I'm going to be interested in how both of our young QB's progress this season.

On another somewhat unrelated note, I think the Bills have discovered a pretty damn good RB2 in Murphy. If Shady can stay healthy these two will be big parts of the Bills offense this year. I like Murphy's seeming versatility. I want to see a lot more of him.

I suspect you will. We are one play away from him becoming a big part of the equation. For better or for worse. 

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Kirk Cousins is the right comparison.

Nearly identical height. Hand size. Drafted mid round. Neither considered the future of their franchise despite having just been drafted by their team. Both struggled early in their careers.

Cousins would be the perfect comparison if Peterman has Cousins’ arm. It’s not really close. Cousins doesn’t have a strong one at all but he easily throws a good out and easily throws down the field. Other than that they are quite similar. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Cousins would be the perfect comparison if Peterman has Cousins’ arm. It’s not really close. Cousins doesn’t have a strong one at all but he easily throws a good out and easily throws down the field. Other than that they are quite similar. 

Pretty much every single QB comparison outside of Chad Pennington is going to have a "yeah but Peterman's arm is weaker" argument. With that being the case Cousins seems like a great comparison to me.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yea, after 3 years of being benched he figured it out. I'm sure Peterman will too.

5 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You can compare them all you want but Brees puts it together on the field... on game day. 

Brees play the first couple years is the reason the chargers drafted Eli Manning first overall. Sometimes it takes more than 2 halves of football to determine whether a player sucks or or becomes a first ballot hall of famer.