Peterman/Brees comparison?

ajmac

I have never heard anyone really compare these two QBs on the board here or anywhere, but you have to admit, there are some similarities in their styles of play and skill sets. I am not a Peterman fan, nor am I against him. I think he had a rough start to his career and other than that, he has looked relatively promising as a potential solid starter. 

The weakness of his arm strength, just like Drew Bree's, and lack of size (cause for concern on wear and tear) were the main knocks on both. Both great college players, except Bree's has the edge for sure there. I know this is a stretch a little here, but I am not so sure Peterman could turn out to be a solid QB in this league. 

Personally, I see the generational talent in Allen, and I want that for my guy, but what are we going to do if all of a sudden Peterman starts showing flashes and wins games?? 

Ok, now you can roast away, I brought cold beer and snacks so you don't have to be gentle! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, ajmac said:

I have never heard anyone really compare these two QBs on the board here or anywhere, but you have to admit, there are some similarities in their styles of play and skill sets. I am not a Peterman fan, nor am I against him. I think he had a rough start to his career and other than that, he has looked relatively promising as a potential solid starter. 

The weakness of his arm strength, just like Drew Bree's, and lack of size (cause for concern on wear and tear) were the main knocks on both. Both great college players, except Bree's has the edge for sure there. I know this is a stretch a little here, but I am not so sure Peterman could turn out to be a solid QB in this league. 

Personally, I see the generational talent in Allen, and I want that for my guy, but what are we going to do if all of a sudden Peterman starts showing flashes and wins games?? 

Ok, now you can roast away, I brought cold beer and snacks so you don't have to be gentle! 

Umm what Games are you watching...Drew Brees has very good velocity on his passes what made you think he lacked arm strength his size?

Edited by bills11
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Umm what Games are you watching...Drew Brees has very good velocity on his passes what made you think he lacked arm strength his size?

Brees has a weaker arm than Peterman...http://www.pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

Drew Brees has never been known for having a cannon, but he makes up for that with timing, deadly accuracy, and technique.

41 minutes ago, ajmac said:

I've been making comparisons to Brees and Peterman for a while based mostly on the way they play and the situation they found themselves in on their rosters. Time will tell if he's able to put it together, but he's a smart kid who doesn't get rattled, and his skill set is shared by many really good QBs. He's got a hell of a mountain to climb, and I'm just hoping he gets that chance.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Brees has a weaker arm than Peterman...http://www.pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

Drew Brees has never been known for having a cannon, but he makes up for that with timing, deadly accuracy, and technique.

I've been making comparisons to Brees and Peterman for a while based mostly on the way they play and the situation they found themselves in on their rosters. Time will tell if he's able to put it together, but he's a smart kid who doesn't get rattled, and his skill set is shared by many really good QBs. He's got a hell of a mountain to climb, and I'm just hoping he gets that chance.

certainly you should be able to realize by now that theres a flaw in those numbers..use your eyes if you think Joe Flacco has a weaker arm than andy dalton then you clearly dont know how to judge velocity..deshaun watson made throws last year that peterman has no ability to make yet the list says his arm is significantly weaker than petermans..dont use data thats clearly skewed to show your personal bias. Cam newton has an absolute cannon according to that list he has a weaker arm than mark sanchez no one would agree with that. 

1 minute ago, bills11 said:

certainly you should be able to realize by now that theres a flaw in those numbers..use your eyes if you think Joe Flacco has a weaker arm than andy dalton then you clearly dont know how to judge velocity..deshaun watson made throws last year that peterman has no ability to make yet the list says his arm is significantly weaker than petermans..dont use data thats clearly skewed to show your personal bias. Cam newton has an absolute cannon according to that list he has a weaker arm than mark sanchez no one would agree with that. 

I know how to judge it, with a scientifically precise tool. You keep using your eyes, and I'll stick to empirical evidence. Also, these are combine numbers, they can and do go up. Brees was clocked in 2010, in the height of his prime.

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I know how to judge it, with a scientifically precise tool. You keep using your eyes, and I'll stick to empirical evidence. Also, these are combine numbers, they can and do go up. Brees was clocked in 2010, in the height of his prime.

I will continue to use my eyes and my brain. Like i said if you think Cam Newton Known for having an absolute cannon arm and the combine point has no merit..because Cam had a cannon at Auburn and if you think has the same velocity on his passes as ryan nassib or andy dalton ..then you need to get your eyes checked. I don't need scientific data to tell me that aaron rodgers has a significantly stronger arm then drew brees..or tyrod taylor or matt ryan i can see that on the field by the velocity in their passes..its not that hard to comprehend

Edited by bills11

1 hour ago, ajmac said:

It's an interesting comparison and not as ridiculous as I thought it was at first glance.  Their scouting reports coming out of college are similar.  Brees was the 32nd pick while Peterman went in the 5th round though so Brees was obviously the better prospect.  Just the eye test tells me Brees has more zip on the short and intermediate passes.  Peterman needs to work on going through his reads and not telegraphing his passes.  Brees didn't have that problem.  I forgot that Rivers sat his first two years.  With today's rookie wage cap, San Diego may have traded Rivers and kept Brees.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

False: he was known for having average arm strength coming into the pros. Arm strength is not how far you can throw, by the way.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cam-newton?id=2495455

who said anything about distance being the measure of velocity..velocity is shown on deep outs and passes you have to drive ..any nfl qb can throw it deep 50 yards even chad pennington could..and guess what passes peterman struggles on ..sideline velocity throws. and the link you just sent says "Flashes the ability to zip the ball into tight spots. Has a quick, over-the-top delivery. Puts a ton of revolutions on the ball and can make all the throws" so i dont know if you were trying to help your argument but you made it worse. I watched cam at auburn he had excellent velocity and he was known for having zip from day 1 nice try tho. the link you sent also says "Newton is one of the most athletically gifted quarterbacks in draft history. Possesses a quick, clean release, enough arm strength to complete the deep out"

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's an interesting comparison and not as ridiculous as I thought it was at first glance.  Their scouting reports coming out of college are similar.  Brees was the 32nd pick while Peterman went in the 5th round though so Brees was obviously the better prospect.  Just the eye test tells me Brees has more zip on the short and intermediate passes.  Peterman needs to work on going through his reads and not telegraphing his passes.  Brees didn't have that problem.  I forgot that Rivers sat his first two years.  With today's rookie wage cap, San Diego may have traded Rivers and kept Brees.  

yeah i agree with what you said here peterman has definetely shown so far hes very accurate when his feet are set..but their styles are a bit different drew loves to go vertical peterman is more like brady of the most recent years accurate short passes slants 

Edited by bills11

2 hours ago, ajmac said:

There is nothing about Josh Allen that is a "generational talent."

He has a super strong arm.  He also has huge holes in his game all over the place that will need to be filled if he is going to be good in the NFL.  We still have no idea if he is capable of doing that.

The Brees/Peterman analogy is ridiculous.   

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ya think there is a reason for that? ? 

That was longer than I thought...but I was waiting for the guy that would have that response exactly! 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I agree with what you say. I am not really sure what we have, but he might just turn out to be a little better than we thought, that's all. Brees comparison I thought was legit, and no matter who I had said, people will disagree anyway. 

Thanks for actually adding something to the argument. I don't see why we can't argue without it getting nasty. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when he was at San Diego, for hurt, there was so much doubt about his ability to throw deep because his arm wasn't that strong to begin with. A lot of peopl thought New Orleans made a mistake at that time. All that changed very quickly, but there was the story line, I was there man. Great college an, but not tall enough for NFL, arm didn't have the deep ball. Accuracy was off the charts though. 

I actually think Peterman has and will continue to improve in that department. His mechanics have also improved with coaching in the last year. I say that because you can definitely see the mechanics improvement in Allen,...Peterman's mechanics weren't terrible, but he still has room and has shown improvement in ball placement though better footwork on certain throws. 

Cautiously optimistic about his performance, but if the line can't protect him, it won't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

There is nothing about Josh Allen that is a "generational talent."

He has a super strong arm.  He also has huge holes in his game all over the place that will need to be filled if he is going to be good in the NFL.  We still have no idea if he is capable of doing that.

The Brees/Peterman analogy is ridiculous.   

Such certainty. By the way, got powerball numbers?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bills11 said:

I still remember when Brees was playing at Purdue. They questioned his arm strength back then and that's why he was not drafted til the 2nd rd by the Chargers.

His arm strength has vastly improved through strength and conditioning but it's still not a nuclear option. But the guy is a stone cold lock for the HOF.

Peterman may turn out to be a nice little player and a possible future trade chip, but that's a big if playing behind the speed bumps, aka his pass protection

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

This is the garbage that McDermott wrought, he's the first coach Ive ever heard of to intentionally create a QB controversy over his first round quarterback he just drafted.

How did he intentionally create a QB controversy?  Peterman performed better than Allen and McCarron so he won the job.  I see nothing wrong with how the QB competition was handled during training camp/preseason and it really was a true three way competition.

• Like (+1) 3