The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

1 hour ago, Agent 91 said:

I tried to be mature about it but I couldn't hear this drill instructor say wobbly again

Is this dude in the video the punter?  

Ever watch an NFL caliber punter punt?  Their kicking leg ends up almost vertical, with their kicking foot way up over their head and their planted foot like a foot up in the air off the ground.  They explode their body and leg through the ball.

This guy looks like I look when I punt a football.  He just raises his leg and kicks.

He's powerfully built, but I don't know...doesn't look like a punter.  His range of motion of his kicking leg is like 50% of what it should be.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ever watch an NFL caliber punter punt?  Their kicking leg ends up almost vertical, with their kicking foot way up over their head and their planted foot like a foot up in the air off the ground.  They explode their body and leg through the ball.

This guy looks like I look when I punt a football.  He just raises his leg and kicks.

He's powerfully built, but I don't know...doesn't look like a punter.  His range of motion of his kicking leg is like 50% of what it should be.

That's actually a good assessment. And are punts supposed to come off of your foot like that. They were all wobbles. The hang time and distance sounds nice though. 

Wonder when the rugby style kick will become more prominent

1 hour ago, DJB said:

20 minutes worth of punts during games

At the 1 :20 mark he punts one almost 70 yards.

Yeah I posted that up thread. I’m not sure how folks can argue the results. They played Texas A&M and dominated that phase of the game. 

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

My sound was off but that looked like a drill more than live game. Kid can really boot it from his video. I love the frequency of 50 yard fair catches. 

1 – New punter discusses transition from New England to Buffalo
After being claimed by the Bills on Sunday, undrafted rookie punter Corey Bojorquez is looking to hit the ground running in Buffalo. He played two years of college football at New Mexico before going undrafted and signing with the Patriots after the draft, but Bojorquez did not always have plans to punt at the NFL level. In fact, he noted that he had not participated in organized team football until his junior year in high school.

“My junior year of high school was my first season of football and I started punting the summer before that season,” said Bojorquez. “It was my first year, I had never played football before that.”

Bojorquez says that his focus was originally on soccer and that a friend of his encouraged him to give punting a try.

“I was playing soccer at the time and my friend was the punter there before me,” he said. “He was finishing up and the team didn’t have a punter and he told me to try it out just for fun. I started to leave soccer practice early to work on it.”

9 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yeah I posted that up thread. I’m not sure how folks can argue the results. They played Texas A&M and dominated that phase of the game. 

My sound was off but that looked like a drill more than live game. Kid can really boot it from his video. I love the frequency of 50 yard fair catches. 

If you look at the game film, you'll see that his "technique" is very raw.  He looks like the Happy Gilmore of punters out there.  Wonder if proper technique will help or hurt him?

• Haha (+1) 2

Punter Corey Bojorquez Ready for Challenge with Bills

Corey Bojorquez will be punting for the Buffalo Bills on Sunday during their season opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

What a crazy transition the Bills have had with their punter position over the past few weeks. First, Cory Carter was challenging incumbent Colton Schmidt for his starting role until a knee injury ended his season.

From there, Buffalo added 12-year vet Jon Ryan, who only received two chances to punt for the Bills during his brief two-game preseason stint. After final cuts, Schmidt stuck around and Ryan was released.

That was that, right?

Wrong [Trump voice].

Enter Bojorquez. The New England Patriots cut him during their final roster cuts on Saturday and the Bills signed him, releasing Schmidt. It was a bit of a shock. Not because Schmidt left, it was clear the Bills wanted to replace him, based on the past few weeks.

Rather it’s surprising he was released by Bojorquez, who has a grand total of 0 career NFL punts. No, really. Not even a preseason one. He never kicked the ball for the Pats this preseason after signing as an undrafted free agent rookie. If you’re surprised after reading this, you aren’t alone. Bojorquez even was.

I think they decided they want a better punter and this is a chance to do that.  It is not a given but they will churn until they have a better punter even if that does not happen in 2018.   They are forcing themselves to get better.  Colton was average.....in all facets you want to be above average (obviously).    When it comes to punting, the snap and blocking up front are almost a given, the performance of that part of the game falls a lot on the one guy who punts the ball.   The best they could do with Schmidt is average and they are not willing to settle for that.  Oh and they evidently tweaked Belicheck which is always good to do.  I find the whole stash the punter on the practice squad to be a little weird though....how many punters are on practice squads?