We’ve claimed P Corey Bojorquez and CB Ryan Lewis off waivers and released P Colton Schmidt.

Plano

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe it's the opposite then and Beane watched every preseason game and had scouts go to each team's training camp.  This move baffles me.

Yeah, it’s almost like the Bills have a scouting staff that had more information on players than the average Joe Fan who reads internet articles and watches TV 

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, fridge said:

How is this a calculated risk?

Thought it should be obvious. Theres a risk in starting a punter who hasn't kicked in a preseason game or regular season game. But it was a calculated risk given the teams dissatisfaction with Schmidt's punting.

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Bills fans have weird hang ups about punters.

Punters. LOL

Well to be fair we went through 12 years of Brian Moorman Being the best and possibly most athletic player on the team ?

and recently Schmidt has dead leg syndrome and can’t even punt 40 yards... if we are gonna be in low scoring games we need the field position 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Holy cow. People will literally find anything to complain about.

Changing punters is a "huge risk"?

Someone get some tissues for these people.

Especially when they appear to be a dime a dozen.  A few bad games by this guy and we can just resign Colton Schmidt.

7 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

the consensus is that the Pats were trying to hide him from others so they could stash him on their PS

Stash a punter?

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Worried about ball deflation ;)

You will have to ask Hoody that one.

So a guy who has never punted ("Lobos", excluded, obv) is now the Bills punter?  Strange move.  If they were that unhappy with Schmidt (which couldn't have started just this preseason), and they really liked this punter, why not draft him in the 7th (instead of a guy like Proehl, who had no chance of making the 53) and see if he can actually punt (outside of New Mexico)?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Stash a punter?

So a guy who has never punted ("Lobos", excluded, obv) is now the Bills punter?  Strange move.  If they were that unhappy with Schmidt (which couldn't have started this preseason), and they really liked this punter, why not draft him in the 7th (instead of a guy like Proehl, who had no chance of making the 53) and see if he can actually punt (outside of New Mexico)?

Maybe they thought they could get him as an UDFA and Belly and the evil empire swooped in snatching him up?

Maybe they thought Ricky Austin Proehl would get  claimed by someone else as an UDFA.

I am sure Beane gets asked at the next presser.

Why are we worried about the punter?

I bet Steven (Godbless You) Huska (or however its spelled) the PK could punt farther than Schmidt ;)

Edited by JMF2006

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Maybe they thought they could get him as an UDFA and Belly and the evil empire swooped in snatching him up?

Maybe they thought Ricky Austin Proehl would get  claimed by someone else as an UDFA.

I am sure Beane gets asked at the next presser.

Why are we worried about the punter?

I bet Steven (Godbless You) Huska (or however its spelled) the PK could punt farther than Schmidt ;)

Why worried about the punter?  Because they just dumped the punter for a guy no one has seen punt against NFL coverage.  f the punter wasn't worth worrying about, why cut the vet?  he wasn't awful.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why worried about the punter?  Because they just dumped the punter for a guy no one has seen punt against NFL coverage.  f the punter wasn't worth worrying about, why cut the vet?  he wasn't awful.

Too many shanks and touch backs last year a 44yd avg and a net of 40.

I am more worried about his holding for Hush.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Too many shanks and touch backs last year a 44yd avg and a net of 40.

I am more worried about his holding for Hush.

What if the rookie is worse?  How would the choice be defended then?

Last year, the Bills were ranked 13th in net yards, tied for 15th for punts inside the 20 and had 6 touchbacks in 79 punts.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What if the rookie is worse?  How would the choice be defended then?

Last year, the Bills were ranked 13th in net yards, tied for 15th for punts inside the 20 and had 6 touchbacks in 79 punts.

Maybe McBeane wants more than average.

Obviously the STC and HC wanted something more.

I think I will trust the process.

Edited by JMF2006

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

There is a reason why he didn't punt all pre season.  The Pats were trying to stash him.

They wouldn't even let him punt warm ups on the main field vs. Eagles since the Eagles were looking at adding a punter.  

Sounds like a Belichick thing to do. 

Bills saw through it and moved in.  Gutsy move.  Props to Beane and his staff.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/09/buffalo_bills_claim_new_england_patriots_cb_ryan_lewis_p_corey_bojorquez_off_wai.html

The interview with the Patriots special teams coordinator is pretty funny for his evasion.  Not sure why they wouldn't just cut their punter to keep the kid.  Any team that is reasonably well run is going to have film and scouting material on a kid like this going back into college.  It's not like they're actually going to be able to keep him a secret if he's that good.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The interview with the Patriots special teams coordinator is pretty funny for his evasion.  Not sure why they wouldn't just cut their punter to keep the kid.  Any team that is reasonably well run is going to have film and scouting material on a kid like this going back into college.  It's not like they're actually going to be able to keep him a secret if he's that good.

Good point.  Patriots punter is worse than Schmidt.