Did McCarron cost us Mack?

4merper4mer

McCarron was going no matter what. Peterman was going to be the starter with Allen as backup. 

The Bills asked about Mack, as they should, and walked away from that when the Raiders wanted 2 firsts.

the Bears think they have a SB and over paid with money and draft pics but they have a QB on a rookie deal, could be the same for the Bills in another year or two. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Reports are that OAK strongly preferred sending Mack out of the AFC. Jets were very interested too. The deal would have had to be much sweeter than CHI offer to trade Mack in conference . This team isn’t just a player away, they’re in year 2 of a total teardown / rebuild. 

Yeah I agree with most of that.  Having Mack is just a pipe dream for me.  I realized it wasn't going to happen.  It's not often a game changer like him becomes available though.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

AJ's spectacular comeback vs the Da Bears may have convinced them that Mack was a necessity and caused them to up their offer, leapfrogging the Bills.  McDermot should have put in Logan Thomas for Q4.

giphy.webp

Edited by Ramza86

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I agree with most of that.  Having Mack is just a pipe dream for me.  I realized it wasn't going to happen.  It's not often a game changer like him becomes available though.

True, and I agree. The thought of Mack on this D with the potential of Edmunds is pretty intriguing. 

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

AJ's spectacular comeback vs the Da Bears may have convinced them that Mack was a necessity and caused them to up their offer, leapfrogging the Bills.  McDermot should have put in Logan Thomas for Q4.

Sounds pretty accurate.  Your astute observations are second to none. 

PS IF your post was sarcastic so was this one. if your post was NOT sarcastic...   this still is.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Reports are that OAK strongly preferred sending Mack out of the AFC. Jets were very interested too. The deal would have had to be much sweeter than CHI offer to trade Mack in conference . This team isn’t just a player away, they’re in year 2 of a total teardown / rebuild. 

All of this makes sense but does not counter the premise.  Maybe Chicago's offer increased after they were exposed by McCarron.  

6 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Trolls gonna troll....

The Bears, after seeing AJ crap the bed against their 2' and 3s, then witnessing his comeback against their 3s and 4s decided they were doomed unless they pulled the trigger and paid that crazy ransom for Mack.

Yeah, I could see that...

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I highly doubt it.  

Mac got a big contract which I don’t believe the Bills have cap space 

jmo

Mack is now the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The deal, which averages $23.5 million per season, includes $90 million in guaranteed money and $60 million at signing, the source said.

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019

I wonder if Mack will pull a Haynesworth.

3 hours ago, Figster said:

I don't know about all that OP,  but I do wonder how close Buffalo came to making a trade by possibly using McCarron or Peterman as icing on the cake.

That'd be a pretty thin layer of icing on an enormous cake.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this take by Peter King on the stupidity of the Raiders ' decision to not sign Mack is spot on. Good points about salaries and the value of draft picks too: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/03/khalil-mack-trade-super-bowl-prediction-peter-king/

'The football world has to stop thinking of $22 million a year as absolutely outlandish and dumb to pay a non-quarterback. Folks, it’s all Monopoly money. The cap has more than doubled in 13 years. The way to think of players’ salaries is as a percentage of the cap—not in raw dollars. Five years ago, this Mack deal, on average, would have been 18 percent of the cap. Now, over the next seven years, it’s 10.67 percent. When the cap grows, you’re much better off thinking of the percentage of the cap, not that a defensive player shouldn’t make $20 million a year. It’s all relative.'

Edited by dave mcbride