Pats cut TD Mike Gillislee per CBS Sports

1 minute ago, MJS said:

And people claimed the Bills were fools for letting him walk.

We got a 5th round pick for him. I liked it at the time and I like it even more now.

Yup.  And the best part of all is that the Bills made the playoffs without him. 

Just now, Doc said:

Yup.  And the best part of all is that the Bills made the playoffs without him. 

He was a guy we picked up off the street. Turning him into a 5th round pick is a big win.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally think he misread the analytics on Gillislee. He was signed due to his “efficiency” but I think that was more due to the OL, scheme, Mobile QB in Buffalo, and how he was used here. He isn’t built to be a short yardage back like the way BB wanted to use him. He scored most of his TDs outside the red zone in Buffalo.

Yes and no.

First the no........statistically Mike Gillislee was indeed the best short yardage back in the NFL while with Buffalo.    Short yardage is short yardage.......everyone runs the same plays.

Overall production-wise yes it was more about the scheme and the impact of Tyrod and the additional run threat he provided which caused defenses to play less aggressively.   That allowed the OL time to set up blocks........resulting in Bills RB's having the highest yards before contact in the NFL and creating tons of yardage at the second level and physical mismatches against small-ish modern LB's that were really not on the roster for their run D prowess.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

And people claimed the Bills were fools for letting him walk.

We got a 5th round pick for him. I liked it at the time and I like it even more now.

This really falls into the win some lose some for teams....we won on this......we lost on the corey colemen thing....it happens....its just gms trying to improve their teams by taking chances

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes and no.

First the no........statistically Mike Gillislee was indeed the best short yardage back in the NFL while with Buffalo.    Short yardage is short yardage.......everyone runs the same plays.

Overall production-wise yes it was more about the scheme and the impact of Tyrod and the additional run threat he provided which caused defenses to play less aggressively.   That allowed the OL time to set up blocks........resulting in Bills RB's having the highest yards before contact in the NFL and creating tons of yardage at the second level and physical mismatches against small-ish modern LB's that were really not on the roster for their run D prowess.

Either way, it was a great move letting him go and getting a 5th

16 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

Good move by the Saints whilst Ingram serves his suspension. Gillislee is a limited-use back and could spell Kamara and the other guys effectively.

Karmara could be described as a limited use back as well. I guess we will find out.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

This really falls into the win some lose some for teams....we won on this......we lost on the corey colemen thing....it happens....its just gms trying to improve their teams by taking chances

One might argue we also lost in MG... I mean, unless you enjoyed Tolbert. With our scheme changes it’s not certain but I’d have rather had him than Tolbert 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Now signed.

We get ivory and Murphy, they get Williams and gillislee...  I’m not sure which I’d prefer.

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

One might argue we also lost in MG... I mean, unless you enjoyed Tolbert. With our scheme changes it’s not certain but I’d have rather had him than Tolbert 

We get ivory and Murphy, they get Williams and gillislee...  I’m not sure which I’d prefer.

They cut Williams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Either way, it was a great move letting him go and getting a 5th

Great? 

Wow.......you are not only wrong.......but EASILY impressed.

If I were to tell you that the Bills would have to play 3 games this season with a bum QB off the street (like Tolbert subbing for McCoy) or a seriously injured Allen or Peterman.........and in that period they would fall from being a 5th seed to hoping to back into the playoffs on the last day of the season........ would you say that trading McCarron for a fifth was a *great* move or just that they got lucky to not have it cost them a playoff spot?

Because that really was the cost of not having a good backup to McCoy last season.

Having no capable backup last season lead to McCoy getting over-exposed and worn down and his production dropped like a rock.

The league average per carry is 4.2..........McCoy ran for LESS than that...... having to tote the ball about 80 more carries than he should have and once again finished his regular season getting carted off the field.

After he was carted off the field to end his PREVIOUS two regular seasons you'd think a smart organization would work to protect their only playmaker.

But no.......instead they were basically just willing to go 3 and out or fumble the ball every time they had to give McCoy a breather.

Let's not pretend anything about the way they handled the RB personnel last season was great.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Absolutely, but everyone was screaming bloody murder because we lost him.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Great? 

If I were to tell you that the Bills would have to play 3 games this season with a bum QB off the street (like Tolbert subbing for McCoy) or a seriously injured Allen or Peterman.........and in that period they would fall from being a 5th seed to hoping to back into the playoffs on the last day of the season........ would you say that trading McCarron for a fifth was a *great* move or just that they got lucky to not have it cost them a playoff spot?

Because that really was the cost of not having a good backup to McCoy last season.

Having no capable backup last season lead to McCoy getting over-exposed and worn down and his production dropped like a rock.

The league average per carry is 4.2..........McCoy ran for LESS than that...... having to tote the ball about 80 more carries than he should have and once again finished his regular season getting carted off the field.

After he was carted off the field to end his PREVIOUS two regular seasons you'd think a smart organization would work to protect their only playmaker.

But no.......instead they were basically just willing to go 3 and out or fumble the ball every time they had to give McCoy a breather.

Let's not pretend anything about the way they handled the RB personnel last season was great.

This is a really fair and accurate assessment of last years running back situation.  There were always RBs available who were better than Tolbert.  At least they learned and got Ivory and worked to develop Murphy.

I am not sure I would rank not having AJ McCarron on the roster with the same gravity as the drop off in RB from McCoy to Tolbert last year.  Most teams carry just two QB's in which they have confidence.  McCarron had the advantage of Nick being in Daboll's ear about him the last 6 months and he still didn't do enough to crack the top 2.   He did, in my view, look the worst of the three in preseason game situations. I don't view this the same as last year's RB, but that's just my opinion.  And I do believe Beane got good value out of McCarron who they likely would have cut at some point without the trade.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Great? 

Let’s not pretend we didn’t make the playoffs last year and have one of the best moments I’ve (and you) have ever experienced. 

Let not pretend we didn’t trade gillislee for Matt Milano.  You can have gillislee.  I’ll take Milano.

Lets not pretend, that you’ve never been wrong.  Ever 

Lets not pretend that we changed our running scheme and gillislee MAY not have been as effective as the previous season. Similar to shady. 

Lets not pretend.......:last year was HUGE step in the right direction and that we now have a possible building block LB for 600k instead of a dime a dozen rb that was cut after one year by the best coach of all time.  But but but....his stats from the his last year on the bills says he’s the best short yardage back in the league......HAHAHAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot of fans here are easily impressed.

Until that GM/HC gets fired and then everything that guy did sucked and everything the new guy does is terrific.

From my perspective....as a Bills fan.....like you both.....last season WAS GREAT. I loved it. Minus one 3 game stretch, I had a blast watching.  Maybe Gillislee could’ve played DT and stopped Jets and saints from ramming it down our throats or played QB vs the chargers?  Milano helped us win games and make the playoffs.  If we had kept Gillislee we probably wouldn’t have Marus Murphy.  I’ll take Murphy at this point. 

I never hated on Whaley.  I liked Whaley.  He made some big mistakes.  Biggest being not getting us a QB or coach. 

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Let’s not pretend we didn’t make the playoffs last year and have one of the best moments I’ve (and you) have ever experienced. 

Let not pretend we didn’t trade gillislee for Matt Milano.  You can have gillislee.  I’ll take Milano.

Lets not pretend, that you’ve never been wrong.  Ever 

Lets not pretend that we changed our running scheme and gillislee MAY not have been as effective as the previous season. Similar to shady. 

Lets not pretend.......:last year was HUGE step in the right direction and that we now have a possible building block LB for 600k instead of a dime a dozen rb that was cut after one year by the best coach of all time.  But but but....his stats from the his last year on the bills says he’s the best short yardage back in the league......HAHAHAHAHAHA

I have a life dude.......watching what had been a top 10 scoring offense in 2016 be actively and entirely unnecessarily converted into an offensively retarded unit and luckily limp into a playoff spot as BY FAR the worst team in the field.......in a season where they ALSO had the worst 3 game defensive stretch in team history and exposed us to the worst QB'd half of football in modern NFL history......did not swell me with fan pride.    The 5 minutes where it looked like the Ravens were going to win and spoil an amazing victory over a fully tanked David Fales-lead Dolphins team.....didn't heighten me to "greatest moments I've ever experienced" level when the Bills snatched a physical beatdown in Jacksonville from the jaws of an extra week of offseason.

The fact that she was anything more than a slump buster to you speaks to your complete lack of taste or objectivity............and frankly I'm embarrassed for you.?

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have a life dude.......watching what had been a top 10 scoring offense in 2016 be actively and entirely unnecessarily converted into an offensively retarded unit and luckily limp into a playoff spot as BY FAR the worst team in the field.......in a season where they ALSO had the worst 3 game defensive stretch in team history and exposed us to the worst QB'd half of football in modern NFL history......did not swell me with fan pride.    The 5 minutes where it looked like the Ravens were going to win and spoil an amazing victory over a fully tanked David Fales-lead Dolphins team.....didn't heighten me to "greatest moments I've ever experienced" level when the Bills snatched a physical beatdown in Jacksonville from the jaws of an extra week of offseason.

The fact that she was anything more than a slump buster to you speaks to your complete lack of taste or objectivity............and frankly I'm embarrassed for you.?

This is what you do.  You “try” and belittle people when they don’t see things your way.  You can nitpick all day long.  Talk about your 2016 stats. Talk about David Fales.   NO ONE.....except you, Scott and the too cool for school brigade will ever remember any of that. No one will talk about that.  But you will. The majority of the Bills fans around the world were extremely happy with last seasons results.  We will talk about it for the rest of our lives.  The majority of the Bills fans were in tears when we made the playoffs.  The players were in tears.  The coaches and owners were in tears. It was a joyous occasion that non Bills fans talk to me about at work all the time. It was a moment.  All while you and Scott were standing in the corner of the bar looking at each other laughing at the millions of Bills fans talking about what losers we all are.  That’s what your doing right now.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is what you do.  You “try” and belittle people when they don’t see things your way.  You can nitpick all day long.  Talk about your 2016 stats. Talk about David Fales.   NO ONE.....except you, Scott and the too cool for school brigade will ever remember any of that. No one will talk about that.  But you will. The majority of the Bills fans around the world were extremely happy with last seasons results.  We will talk about it for the rest of our lives.  The majority of the Bills fans were in tears when we made the playoffs.  The players were in tears.  The coaches and owners were in tears. It was a joyous occasion that non Bills fans talk to me about at work all the time. It was a moment.  All while you and Scott were standing in the corner of the bar looking at each other laughing at the millions of Bills fans talking about what losers we all are.  That’s what your doing right now.  

Don't worry NewEra.  BADOL's just butt-hurt that the Bills made the playoffs without his BFF.  The truly embarrassing thing for him is that his BFF choked in his playoff game with the Rams, pretty much destroying his fantasy that with him on the Bills they would have won that Jags game (only to be trounced by the Cheaters the following week, like the Jags were).  Not to mention the Rams managed just 13 points at home against the Falcons. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

If you want to take things entirely out of perspective.......like calling a move that doesn't involve anywhere near a great player changing hands "great"........then keep that to yourself or with someone else who is on the same anti-depression meds........it doesn't belong in a logical debate about the football merits of a move.

Yes, if your persist I will mock you for that.   EVERY TIME.

The Bills breaking the playoff slump was a fun moment in another otherwise VERY ugly season of Bills football.    Uglier than much of the Jauron era.......which maybe you have forgotten because you aren't the kind of fan that bothers to remember the Bills past? 

The Fred Sanford-comin'-to-see-you-Lizbeth'-esque reactions were fun but also effectively a Bronx cheer.    "I can't believe this woeful(or cursed:rolleyes:)franchise finally made the playoffs!".   That might be cool with you and you can die a happy man now........but I still have an ounce of respect for what your NFL team should stand for.   This isn't your alma mater "The Sisters of the Poor".........it's a professional football franchise in a parity driven league.

I didn't mock anyone for their reaction in the moment.......it was a moment to enjoy and people do crazy things expressing that.......but if backing into the NFL playoffs......a feat a team should expect to do every 3 years on average......is still now one of the best moments of your entire life then perhaps YOU need to take a step back and start enjoying the little things in life more and gain some perspective.    It's supposed to be entertainment ALL THE TIME.........not 17 years of anguish hoping to get a glimpse of joy at some moment and then judging your fellow fans by how over the top they feel about it.:rolleyes:

If you want to take things entirely out of perspective.......like calling a move that doesn't involve anywhere near a great player changing hands "great"........then keep that to yourself or with someone else who is on the same anti-depression meds........it doesn't belong in a logical debate about the football merits of a move.

Yes, if your persist I will mock you for that.   EVERY TIME.

The Bills breaking the playoff slump was a fun moment in another otherwise VERY ugly season of Bills football.    Uglier than much of the Jauron era.......which maybe you have forgotten because you aren't the kind of fan that bothers to remember the Bills past? 

The Fred Sanford-comin'-to-see-you-Lizbeth'-esque reactions were fun but also effectively a Bronx cheer.    "I can't believe this woeful(or cursed:rolleyes:)franchise finally made the playoffs!".   That might be cool with you and you can die a happy man now........but I still have an ounce of respect for what your NFL team should stand for.   This isn't your alma mater "The Sisters of the Poor".........it's a professional football franchise in a parity driven league.

I didn't mock anyone for their reaction in the moment.......it was a moment to enjoy and people do crazy things expressing that.......but if backing into the NFL playoffs......a feat a team should expect to do every 3 years on average......is still now one of the best moments of your entire life then perhaps YOU need to take a step back and start enjoying the little things in life more and gain some perspective.    It's supposed to be entertainment ALL THE TIME.........not 17 years of anguish hoping to get a glimpse of joy at some moment and then judging your fellow fans by how over the top they feel about it.:rolleyes:

It was a football moment that I will never forget.  I shed tears of happiness when it happened.  When was the last time the Buffalo Bills made you shed tears of joy?  

I wont get into the degrading bs.  That’s your MO, I’ll leave that to you. 

Meanwhile. Mike Gillislee was cut by the pats as they keep FIVR other RBs over him while we have Milano and made the playoffs during a year that looked like a tank.  We made the right decision in letting him go and you can’t seem to eat the crow youve earned.  

Cant wait to hear this one.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Don't worry NewEra.  BADOL's just butt-hurt that the Bills made the playoffs without his BFF.  The truly embarrassing thing for him is that his BFF choked in his playoff game with the Rams, pretty much destroying his fantasy that with him on the Bills they would have won that Jags game (only to be trounced by the Cheaters the following week, like the Jags were).  Not to mention the Rams managed just 13 points at home against the Falcons. 

I never predicted success for Watkins in LA.

WR's changing teams without benefit of TC rarely result in good seasons.   That's just historically so.........not anything new(see James Lofton with the Bills).

Watkins did have a better chance than some because he's a guy who can just make plays running 9 routes or deep posts but I had watched(too much) Goff video during the draft process and knew he was a short to intermediate passer with a bad deep ball.    I had even sung the praises of the Rams matching him up with Woods.....a so-so overall WR but a tremendous intermediate route runner.

Losing Watkins didn't lead the Rams to a Super Bowl(it helped their offense be great)  but it REALLY screwed the Bills offense.

Unlike most of you Debbie-tankers I saw the Bills as a 10-11 win team going into training camp(yes, even without Gillislee!).

And when they dealt Watkins I enraged the board by accurately predicting that they were planning to play Jauron Ball and STILL would not be fulfilling your ill-conceived fantasies of tanking.

So tell me again........how was I wrong?    

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It was a football moment that I will never forget.  I shed tears of happiness when it happened.  When was the last time the Buffalo Bills made you shed tears of joy?  

I wont get into the degrading bs.  That’s your MO, I’ll leave that to you. 

Meanwhile. Mike Gillislee was cut by the pats as they keep FIVR other RBs over him while we have Milano and made the playoffs during a year that looked like a tank.  We made the right decision in letting him go and you can’t seem to eat the crow youve earned.  

Cant wait to hear this one.

How many tackles did the *great* Matt Milano have in that playoff game again?

I will save you looking it up.

None........DNP.

If I argued like YOU........I'd bring up the fact that it was the Bills best defensive effort of the year and Milano was inactive.........but I won't do that.

Because I'm better than that.......and I like Matt Milano........he's a serviceable player with upside but there are also questions about his ability to hold up as an every down LB......he was a bit better than the journeyman Ramon Humber.

I'm still not going to say he is great though.

Like I said........find some joy in the everyday things so you are not wound so tight you blow your ball-sack over qualifying for the NFL playoffs one time in 18 years.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never predicted success for Watkins in LA.

WR's changing teams without benefit of TC rarely result in good seasons.   That's just historically so.........not anything new(see James Lofton with the Bills).

Watkins did have a better chance than some because he's a guy who can just make plays running 9 routes or deep posts but I had watched(too much) Goff video during the draft process and knew he was a short to intermediate passer with a bad deep ball.    I had even sung the praises of the Rams matching him up with Woods.....a so-so overall WR but a tremendous intermediate route runner.

Losing Watkins didn't lead the Rams to a Super Bowl(it helped their offense be great)  but it REALLY screwed the Bills offense.

Unlike most of you Debbie-tankers I saw the Bills as a 10-11 win team going into training camp(yes, even without Gillislee!).

And when they dealt Watkins I enraged the board by accurately predicting that they were planning to play Jauron Ball and STILL would not be fulfilling your ill-conceived fantasies of tanking.

So tell me again........how was I wrong?    

I never once claimed the Bills were or even should be tanking so I have no idea what you're talking about there.  I merely didn't view the loss of Sammy as something that would kill the team and they proved me right, despite what happened in the playoffs.  Sometimes subtraction is addition, and while you may value a guy like Sammy, I'll take a guy like Shady every time, and I'll bet Sammy's 3-years in Chefsland won't even come close to Shady's (so far) 3 years with the Bills, at half the price. 

None........DNP.

If I argued like YOU........I'd bring up the fact that it was the Bills best defensive effort of the year and Milano was inactive.........but I won't do that.

Because I'm better than that.......and I like Matt Milano........he's a serviceable player with upside but there are also questions about his ability to hold up as an every down LB......he was a bit better than the journeyman Ramon Humber.

Like I said........find some joy in the everyday things so you are not wound so tight you blow your ball-sack over qualifying for the NFL playoffs one time in 18 years.

So, I repeat.  When was the last time the Bills made you shed tears of joy?

Instead you mention how many tackles milano had in the playoff game. How many yards did Mike gillislee have in THREE playoff games last year?  Yep, you guessed it.  0.

You just can’t stop.  That IS your MO on this site.  People challenge your beliefs and you bash them IRL, as if you’ve ever met them.  I don’t have to tell tsw that my life is good.  I know it’s good. You basically just told 90%+ of Bills Mafia that they’re losers and need to get a life because that dalton to Tate pass was one of the best moments in our Bills history.  

I have many memories of the Bils

gojng back to eating chicken wings with Bjs in fredonia his rookie year as a 10 year old.  Playing centipede with Byron franklin.  Sitting on Joe Cribbs shoulders as he signed autographs for 30 minutes.  Chasing down Thurman Thomas on a golf cart, him stopping and giving me a ride back to my pops along with a signed cleat he wore that day.  The Bills might mean more to me than they do to you.  That doesn’t mean I don’t have other things I enjoy in my life.  I just enjoy these Bills moments more than you do. 

Wow, the TD Mike hate runs deep at TBD.  A guy that when here ripped it up and gave everything he had to the Bills.  We lost him because Whaley repeated the mistake he made with Hogan, saving 800-900K and only getting a 5th instead of a 2nd in return.  He didn't fit the NE way, many don't.  It doesn't mean he isn't a good football player.  I hope he rips it up for the Saints.  Wish TD Mike all the best.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Wow, the TD Mike hate runs deep at TBD.  A guy that when here ripped it up and gave everything he had to the Bills.  We lost him because Whaley repeated the mistake he made with Hogan, saving 800-900K and only getting a 5th instead of a 2nd in return.  He didn't fit the NE way, many don't.  It doesn't mean he isn't a good football player.  I hope he rips it up for the Saints.  Wish TD Mike all the best.

Who hates gillislee?  I wish him all the best too.  I’m just saying I’ll take Milano over Gillislee.  Whaley/McD got what they wanted, a 5th.  We wouldn’t have gotten a 2nd as no one would’ve paid that price.  He should be a good fit in NO

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What bar was I at though? 

?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I was having a blast with friends watching the game. I went nuts when the Bengals scored on that play.... but what does that have to do with what I said?

MG was terrific here. His replacement Tolbert sucked. 

?

i speak of you.  Not to you.  It’s just a waste of my time and yours.  

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who hates gillislee?  I wish him all the best too.  I’m just saying I’ll take Milano over Gillislee.  Whaley/McD got what they wanted, a 5th.  We wouldn’t have gotten a 2nd as no one would’ve paid that price.  He should be a good fit in NO

Not you specifically, but many of the posts on this board are gleefully proclaiming how he sucks because Belicheat cut him.  I'd have been fine with both Hogan and TD Mike at the 2nd round tenders.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

None........DNP.

For someone who believes you have the right to consume, or not consume, entertainment any way you deem fit, you sure do seem to mind when someone consumes it differently than you.

14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

For someone who believes you have the right to consume, or not consume, entertainment any way you deem fit, you sure do seem to mind when someone consumes it differently than you.

Never said that.

In fact,  in lieu of the recent stories/accusations that Bills fans have used their anxiety over the team as a springboard for tragedy for innocent victims I think I'd stop well short of saying "any way you deem fit" and say that perspective should not be "optional".     

There is no reason why we can't have rational discussions about the team on this site................but there are always people who consider their indignant suspension of rational thought as a badge of honor and justification for starting arguments.     It's not.   

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wrong again.......the Bills wanted Gillislee back.........they weren't dangling him out their for a 5th.

They just thought they could sneak him thru the RFA system without paying the extra peanuts to give him the second round tender.     The reason they were being so cheap was, as I believe Kirby reported here, they hoping to get him to bite on a multi-year deal with a cheaper AAV than the 2nd round tender.    Belichick waited until late in the process and caught them with their pants down and crafted a Bills-unfriendly contract to get them to back off. 

Wrong again.......the Bills wanted Gillislee back.........they weren't dangling him out their for a 5th.

They just thought they could sneak him thru the RFA system without paying the extra peanuts to give him the second round tender.     The reason they were being so cheap was, as I believe Kirby reported here, they hoping to get him to bite on a multi-year deal with a cheaper AAV than the 2nd round tender.    Belichick waited until late in the process and caught them with their pants down and crafted a Bills-unfriendly contract to get them to back off. 

And ultimately it was the Cheaters who had their pants pulled down when the Bills fleeced a 5th from him, he stole $3.5M from them, and then they released him.  And to top it off, the Bills made the playoffs without him. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

And ultimately it was the Cheaters who had their pants pulled down when the Bills fleeced a 5th from him, he stole $3.5M from them, and then they released him.  And to top it off, the Bills made the playoffs without him. 

And yet, perhaps both teams found their pants around their ankles at the end of the day.