McCarron Traded!

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

The thing I don’t understand- you know he’s a guy that’s a handful and needs to culture change. Every poster here could’ve said he’s not a polished route runner or going to get the playbook fast.... what was the expectation that we had when we traded for him? Instant 180 and the light to come on? Or was he absolutely catastrophic behind the scenes?

Good questions.  Either we had totally unreasonable expectations, or the latter.  An additional possibility would be that while he cleared his pretrade physical, he was not yet injured but visiting the training room a lot for his hand.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

This has nothing to do with political correctness.  I'm more liberal than most, if not all, of the people you know.  But I'm also observant enough to see that football players from Alabama (and many other top college football programs) are barely literate and certainly not worthy of a free college "education."

I took 1st&ten's response as more along the lines of "don't hold back - tell us what you really think"

8 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Pretty crazy that Cleveland was willing to give a 2nd and 3rd round pick for AJ...  Now he's only worth a 5th

Using the Browns to measure real market value is ridiculous. The Browns are ridiculous. Don't be the Browns.

Besides, timing is key and at that point back then the film on McCarron pretty much centered around his solid play in a playoff game - not him getting his butt kicked by the Browns and by the Bears for three quarters.

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I feel like people are just trying to get under your skin... If anyone made even half those jokes about Buffalo, they'd flip out.

It’s mostly folks who are trying to be cute, but not all. 

My experience with people who hold ridiculous stereotypical views is that they are either malicious and/or ignorant, or they are provincial and lack life experience.

Some people have never travelled outside of their small geographical areas or met anyone that is different from them. Consequently they form their views based on distorted images they get from the mass media.

I observed this living in a small town in Central WI where there was a very narrow demographic and a lot of people had never ventured outside of the region.

Of course some people are just plain stupid.

Edited by Sky Diver

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It’s mostly folks who are trying to be cute, but not all. 

My experience with people who hold stupid stereotypical views is that they are either malicious and/or ignorant, or they are provincial and lack life experience.

Some people have never travelled outside of their small geographical areas or met anyone that is different from them. Consequently they form their views based on distorted images they get from the mass media.

I observed this living in a small town in Central WI where was a very narrow demographic and a lot of people had never ventured outside of the region.

What about someone who’s beem to 20/50 states and five different foreign countries but still thinks Alabama is a joke?

Edited by joesixpack
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, joesixpack said:

:lol:

youre nothing if not consistent in your trolling

I’ve been to 43 of the 50 states. My wife is from France and I’ve travelled exensively in Europe. I have lived in a city with 8.5 million people and I’ve lived in a rural midwestern town with 15,000 people. I have relatives in the north and in the deep south. I have worked with PhDs from MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, and every other elite school you can think of and I have worked with operators who didn’t graduate from high school. I have worked with  elite D1 athletes and folks who can barely tie their shoes. My kids attended a racially mixed inner-city school and one went to a university in the north and one went to a university in the south.

I have been around enough that I don’t pigeon hole people.

22 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I’ve been to 43 of the 50 states. My wife is from France and I’ve travelled exensively in Europe. I have lived in a city with 8.5 million people and I’ve lived in a rural midwestern town with 15,000 people. I have relatives in the north and in the deep south. I have worked with PhDs from MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, and every other elite school you can think of and I have worked with operators who didn’t graduate from high school. I have worked with  elite D1 athletes and folks who can barely tie their shoes. My kids attended a racially mixed inner-city school and one went to a university in the north and one went to a university in the south.

I have been around enough that I don’t pigeon hole people.

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

13 minutes ago, stony said:

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

What do you think I’m saying?

Not being able to tie their shoes is a euphemism for being uncoordinated as opposed to being athletic.

28 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

and yet that's what you continue to do here, ironic

Your avatar tells me everything I need to know.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

It’s here are.

Not sure what the 4000 number is. So in your mind this proves that every Alabama football player is a moron?

Do you have any more compelling evidence?

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

What exactly had led you to this observation that Alabama football players are morons?

Be specific.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It’s here are.

Not sure what the 4000 number is. So in your mind this proves that every Alabama football player is a moron?

Do you have any more compelling evidence?

The College Football forum is at your service.

Please discuss/debate Bama and Bama Football in the College football forum.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SDS said:

7ABD5737-A0C7-4709-897F-8F41979967C4.png

The 25th percentile ACT is 23 and the 75th percentile is 32. What this means is that The University of Alabama serves a diverse student population.

It doesn’t say anything about the quality of the education students receive there.

If you want to look at the quality of the education, you need to look at outcomes. UA students consistenly win awards and many attend elite graduate and professional programs. Graduates are well placed in industry and there are Alabama grads leading major corporations.

So we had to go to overall quality? Can you find Alabama on this list of the top universities in the nation? (Hint: don't bother looking in the top 100)

Maybe they're at a disadvantage because Alabama has one of the worst performing public school systems in the country. Only 26.1% of fourth graders and 17.2% of eighth graders in the state are proficient in math, each the smallest such share of any state.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You're right, it tells you everything you need to know about me.

Still more pigeon holing. 

What other generalizations would you like to make about me, oh wise bamian?

It gives me a pretty good idea.

What compels you to make ignorant characterizations about a major university and an entire state.

I am interested in understanding the pathology.

It gives me a pretty good idea.

What compels you to make ignorant characterizations about a major university and an entire state.

I am interested in understanding the pathology.

I am making characterizations about someone, who appears to be, to me, an ignorant poster. I don't give a rat's ass about a major university.

seek help

and please heed the mods...take this to the college forum so only those who seek you out are forced to put up with your nonsense

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, scribo said:

So we had to go to overall quality? Can you find Alabama on this list of the top universities in the nation? (Hint: don't bother looking in the top 100)

Maybe they're at a disadvantage because Alabama has one of the worst performing public school systems in the country. Only 26.1% of fourth graders and 17.2% of eighth graders in the state are proficient in math, each the smallest such share of any state.

Not that there aren’t really smart kids in the state of Alabama, but the majority of students at The University of Alabama are from out of state. Many students from the university volunteer in impovershed areas.

The high school graduation rate in the city of Rochester is less than 50% and many cites have same issue. There is a national crisis in education.

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

The majority of students at The University of Alabama are from out of state. Many students from the university volunteer in impovershed areas.

The high school graduation rate in the city of Rochester is less than 50% and many cites have same issue. There is a national crisis in education.

Agreed. But way to ignore the entire part about UofA.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Hard to know for sure but Mary Kay Cabot, the beat reporter from the Browns, said today that the Bills didn't like Coleman's attitude from day one. So he may well have been catastrophic behind the scenes.  

Then they should have been aware of his attitude well before day 1, and not offered him that money.

Doesn't McD have HBO??  Christ...

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I am making characterizations about someone, who appears to be, to me, an ignorant poster. I don't give a rat's ass about a major university.

seek help

and please heed the mods...take this to the college forum so only those who seek you out are forced to put up with your nonsense

Is your self-esteem so low that you need to make fun of a major university with more than 35,000 students to feel better about yourself?

Edited by Sky Diver

Your mistake is taking the US News rankings seriously.

https://www.liberalartscolleges.com/us-news-college-rankings-meaningless/

Shocking to see a tiny website write negatively about a major media outlet, especially given the little website fancies itself as competing with that major media outlet.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, scribo said:

Shocking to see a tiny website write negatively about a major media outlet, especially given the little website fancies itself as competing with that major media outlet.

You need to look under the hood and see what metrics US News is using. 

You can get can get a great education at practically any state flagship university. Most if not all, including Alabama, have honors programs for elite students which create a university within a university.

It’s about value too. This kid is going to UA for free and I’m sure he will get into med school. In the meantime he’s saved about a quarter million dollars versus going to an Ivy League school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

25% of the students at Alabama have a 32 or higher ACT, so there are a lot of smart kids there. The average ACT of engineering students is 30. Alabama is also a leader in enrolling National Merit Scholars. 

Edited by Sky Diver

52 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Does the mod need to add some

crimson to his letters to help you understand them ? 

I’m here to talk football, but my expertise extends into academics, particularly academics at UA. A lot of folks here seem to have a fascination with UA, serious or otherwise, so I respond to them. 

If rooting for UA players offends you, put me on ignore. It won’t bother me.

Edited by Sky Diver

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You need to look under the hood and see what metrics US News is using. 

You can get can get a great education at practically any state flagship university. Most if not all, including Alabama, have honors programs for elite students which create a university within a university.

It’s about value too. This kid is going to UA for free and I’m sure he will get into med school. In the meantime he’s saved about a quarter million dollars versus going to an Ivy League school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

Your example shows a kid who chose Alabama over Ivy League schools for ONE reason. Money. That's it. This is no different than a good kid deciding to go to a two-year community college even though he or she could get right into a good four-year university. It makes financial sense. And note I am not claiming in any way that students aren't able to get a good education at Alabama. I am just saying it is not among the top academic institutions, and they do let knuckleheads in to be better at football. I've looked over the US News rankings, and I think Alabama landed in a fair spot.

I’m here to talk football, but my expertise extends into academics, particularly academics at UA. A lot of folks here seem to have a fascination with UA, so I respond to them.

If rooting for UA players offends you, put me on ignore. It won’t bother me.

Wont have to.     You keep ignoring the mod and you’ll be a ghost. 

Mccarrons a raider now.    You gonna stick around with the Bills fans now or is your duty over ? 

5 minutes ago, scribo said:

Your example shows a kid who chose Alabama over Ivy League schools for ONE reason. Money. That's it. This is no different than a good kid deciding to go to a two-year community college even though he or she could get right into a good four-year university. It makes financial sense. And note I am not claiming in any way that students aren't able to get a good education at Alabama. I am just saying it is not among the top academic institutions, and they do let knuckleheads in to be better at football. I've looked over the US News rankings, and I think Alabama landed in a fair spot.

Kids go to Alabama for a variety of reasons, like any other school. Money is certainly one factor.

If you are independently wealthy or you don’t care about incurring student loan debt, I guess you can take money off the table. For most students though, it’s a consideration.

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Wont have to.     You keep ignoring the mod and you’ll be a ghost. 

Mccarrons a raider now.    You gonna stick around with the Bills fans now or is your duty over ? 

I’ve been a Bills’ fan since the OJ days, so I’m not going anywhere.

I don’t have any need to talk about the academics at UA, but if someone asks me about it or makes a wise crack, I’ll respond.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Kids go to Alabama for a variety of reasons, like any other school. Money is certainly one factor.

If you are independently wealthy or you don’t care about incurring student loan debt, I guess you can take money off the table. For most students though, it’s a consideration.

Of course it is. But this conversation was about the quality of education offered at Alabama. None of this change that Bama is not among even the top 100 colleges in the United States. One might think that all the money they make in football, they'd be able to afford raising their academic game. But do that and they'd have to raise their admissions requirements, which might keep them from being able to recruit the next Reuben Foster.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, scribo said:

Of course it is. But this conversation was about the quality of education offered at Alabama. None of this change that Bama is not among even the top 100 colleges in the United States. One might think that all the money they make in football, they'd be able to afford raising their academic game. But do that and they'd have to raise their admissions requirements, which might keep them from being able to recruit the next Reuben Foster.

You persist in thinking that US News is the gospel in assessing higher education.

Again, if you want to assess the quality of education, look at outcomes. The accomplishments of UA students are numerous.

UA educates a diverse range of students with different academic abilities. That’s obvious by looking at the ACT scores. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad school.

Rueben Foster earned his degree. Why do you think he’s stupid? 

Clearly you hold stereotypical views and you aren’t going to give them up easily.

Did you ever go to a Bills tailgate and see the stupid, drunken, loutish violent behavior? Say what you will about Alabama, but I have never seen that type of behavior there.

If you weren’t biased against Alabama for some reason, you could have just as easily pointed to Greg McElroy, a former QB at UA.

He has one of the highest Wonderlic scores on record and was a Rhodes Scholar Finalist.

The current center for the football team will be earning his Masters Degree in December and an overwhelming majority of Alabama football players  earn their degrees.

To suggest that all Alabama football players are stupid is really ignorant.

Edited by Sky Diver

Keep dismissing the real stats and a respected rating chart (OK, not respected by you or some obscure website). Keeping veering off topic when you cannot counter my points. The one piece of evidence you introduce is an article about how the whole world was surprised a smart kid chose Alabama so he could save money.

I never mentioned Tide fans, which have their own reputation, but you think it is appropriate here (on a Bills fan board) to attack our fellow Bills fan who famously blow off some steam.

Ignore time and time again the actual point I am making here: Alabama is not a top academic institution, but it has the money to be. Just not the will. 

I get your defensiveness, with your school in the crosshairs of the mainstream (see below). That has to suck. I get it. But your team keeps winning, so find solace in that.

Edited by scribo
  • Like (+1) 1