Peterman/Allen next Flutie/Johnson... hoping I am wrong

Coach55

For full disclosure, I am not on either side of the fence.  I just want the Bills to win, don't care who his the Quarterback.  With that being said, the QB controversy that currently exists is starting to look like the late 90s all over again.

The Players...

Johnson - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to get a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Allen - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to draft a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Flutie - the undersized underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good

Peterman - the underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good.

The Scenario...

As of right now, Peterman (in spite of his crappy rookie season) has won the preseason battle and deserves to start.  I might add, he has played remarkably well.  Allen has struggled, showing glimpses of greatness throughout preseason.  People are already making excuses for Allen (blaming the OLine, who I admit has been weak, but 3 of the 5 sacks against Cincinnati could have easily been avoided had Allen made a quicker decision).  

The Issue...

Ok.  As of right now, Peterman should start (if he doesn't I would be surprised).  What I am afraid of is - What if he actually succeeds (low probability)?  Let's say he starts 5-2, do we have another late 90s issue where the winning QB is always put on the back burner for the potential of the heir apparent?  

Thoughts?  btw, this is all conjecture to stir the pot. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

For full disclosure, I am not on either side of the fence.  I just want the Bills to win, don't care who his the Quarterback.  With that being said, the QB controversy that currently exists is starting to look like the late 90s all over again.

The Players...

Johnson - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to get a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Allen - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to draft a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Flutie - the undersized underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good

Peterman - the underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good.

The Scenario...

As of right now, Peterman (in spite of his crappy rookie season) has won the preseason battle and deserves to start.  I might add, he has played remarkably well.  Allen has struggled, showing glimpses of greatness throughout preseason.  People are already making excuses for Allen (blaming the OLine, who I admit has been weak, but 3 of the 5 sacks against Cincinnati could have easily been avoided had Allen made a quicker decision).  

The Issue...

Ok.  As of right now, Peterman should start (if he doesn't I would be surprised).  What I am afraid of is - What if he actually succeeds (low probability)?  Let's say he starts 5-2, do we have another late 90s issue where the winning QB is always put on the back burner for the potential of the heir apparent?  

Thoughts?  btw, this is all conjecture to stir the pot. 

Someones been reading wikipedia!!

Next time, please lead with the bold. 

It would save everyone a TON of reading. 

Btw, the season starts in just over a week.

No need for threads that belong in march or may;)

Edited by gobills1212

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Someones been reading wikipedia!!

Next time, please lead with the bold. 

It would save everyone a TON of reading. 

Btw, the season starts in just over a week.

No need for threads that belong in march or may;)

Wikipedia??? I honestly have been thinking this.  I was a huge Flutie fan and thought he got screwed... Peterman is scarred from his 5 int outing.  Whether or not he can play at the elite level is irrelevant as he has a "potential" superstar behind him.  I just forsee a potential issue if Peterman plays to the level that some people on this board believe. 

• Sad 1

This is nothing like Flutie/Johnson. Allen is their QB and Peterman has had a great preseason. The problem with Flutie/Johnson is that different people supported different guys. This franchise is in lockstep regarding Allen. They have targeted him for 2 years to be their guy. It may not work out but he is going to be the guy for at least a couple of years. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is nothing like Flutie/Johnson. Allen is their QB and Peterman has had a great preseason. The problem with Flutie/Johnson is that different people supported different guys. This franchise is in lockstep regarding Allen. They have targeted him for 2 years to be their guy. It may not work out but he is going to be the guy for at least a couple of years. 

This was the exact sentiment with Rob Johnson... The only reason Flutie ever got to play was a result of a Johnson injury... and then he won... 

5 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

The big thing is Allen so far is liked by  his teammates (by all accounts), Johnson was dispised and injury prone 

Flutie was a little jerk that many of his teammates despised. He was all about himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

This was the exact sentiment with Rob Johnson... The only reason Flutie ever got to play was a result of a Johnson injury... and then he won... 

Totally different, Flutie was a former star that just hadn’t gotten a chance. Johnson had 1 start and the Bills overreacted and offered a first. Allen cost the Bills, a 1st, 2 2nds and Corey Glenn. He was their guy for a long, long time. 

Additionally, things are WAY different than they were 20 years ago. Guys have shorter leashes and the rules have made the league more QB centric. You find you guy and you sink or swim with him. That’s pretty much every regime. Allen is the guy that Beane and McDermott bet on. That’s the horse they are riding. That’s not even up for debate. It’s WHEN, not IF.

32 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

Wikipedia??? I honestly have been thinking this.  I was a huge Flutie fan and thought he got screwed... Peterman is scarred from his 5 int outing.  Whether or not he can play at the elite level is irrelevant as he has a "potential" superstar behind him.  I just forsee a potential issue if Peterman plays to the level that some people on this board believe. 

You are the only one. 

#trustme

Here is my question... what happens if and I say IF, Peterman starts the season and they go 4-1, 5-2, 7-3... what do you do?  What if they make the playoffs 10-6 with Peterman...  What happens?  Everyone is expecting Peterman to come in, start the season and the Bills go 1-4, 2-5 and then Allen comes in and saves the day... but what if???

2 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

Here is my question... what happens if and I say IF, Peterman starts the season and they go 4-1, 5-2, 7-3... what do you do?  What if they make the playoffs 10-6 with Peterman...  What happens?  Everyone is expecting Peterman to come in, start the season and the Bills go 1-4, 2-5 and then Allen comes in and saves the day... but what if???

Then if that somehow happens Allen gets his year to sit that so many people said he'd need.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then if that somehow happens Allen gets his year to sit that so many people said he'd need.

Exactly

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing like it. I would say Tyrod vs anyone is more like Flutie and Johnson. The Bills won with Flutie but felt he was limited.  So they went another direction. Tyrod had moe time than Flutie which is why the "fun" has warn off. Flutie at QB and going 8-8 for multiple years and it would have been the same. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Coach55 said:

What happens is Allen walks into being the starter of a playoff team next year. 

They didn't trade up and draft Allen to be a backup.

Edited by pop gun