The Athletic: Erik Turner Breaks Down the Bengals' Five Sacks of Josh Allen

Just now, Da webster guy said:

I have always thought Ducasse had blackmail pictures of Juan Castillo.  Never understood the love that Juan has had for the guy, I can only assume he pushed for Beane to acquire him and feels he has a stake in the guy.

Why doesn't Terry pick up a McNally type guy as a consultant for the Oline to help us make sense of all this?

That would be up to McDermott and Beane.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

To tell you the truth, when I was watching the debacle, it seemed like they were testing Allen's big value prop - namely the vertical passing game, which I thought a good idea. But after a quarter of the OL getting B-slapped, you would figure they would rethink the rook's first big outing and try something more effective.

Definitely. The problem is that no protection + no seperation = sacks every time. And that's all that we had to work with. Also, when he did have time his best targets couldn't catch a cold. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think it was that. They are just too good for the Bills up front and the line shuffling didn't help matters. 

Quite possibly. That's where we would have to rely on scheme, and didn't do anything for that. I honestly am most worried about the coaching after this game. Between bad calls that went unchallenged, and lack of changes made, it just looked like a scrimmage and not a "dress rehearsal" 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

OK. Ducasse gets cut. Allen sits until he is ready.  This looks like a 2-2 tie.  He has 3 sec twice. Got to get the ball out.  

Now pick up another G  and start the season with Dawkins/Groy/Bodine/Miller/Mills with Newhouse/Teller and McDermott backing up.

Ike/DeBeers to PS. If the new G pans out and can start, either Newhouse or McDermott walks.

Depressing

• Like (+1) 1

2.1 seconds of successful pass blocking is down right embarrassing. That’s literally about the time it takes to receive a shotgun snap, look and throw regardless of the coverage. ANY QB will struggle mightily with that type of pee wee football blocking. I don’t have high hopes that this improves anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

This may be foolish of me, but I truly believe that those type of adjustments would have been made in a regular season game. I believe the staff wanted tape on the plays that were run, regardless of the opposing defense's success. I also think they wanted to see if Allen's mechanics and footwork would revert under pressure, or if they would hold. And finally, I think that as the outing progressed they wanted to see how Allen would handle criticism and negative press following the game.

That is some twisted thinking right there!

"Hey, let's hang the baby out the window to see if he will cry..."

The rookie needs an opportunity to test his wings a succeed - not be thrust to the ground.  There is not much to be learned from looking in the rear view mirror while running for your life and spitting dirt from your mouth all day.

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Definitely. The problem is that no protection + no seperation = sacks every time. And that's all that we had to work with. Also, when he did have time his best targets couldn't catch a cold. 

Quite possibly. That's where we would have to rely on scheme, and didn't do anything for that. I honestly am most worried about the coaching after this game. Between bad calls that went unchallenged, and lack of changes made, it just looked like a scrimmage and not a "dress rehearsal" 

I had some issues with that response from McD. We don’t even have a starting 5 on our OL. Basically LT is the only position set. Instead of taking the game to evaluate who to start where, we scrambled it all around for a bunch of “what if” scenarios. 

Seemed counter productive to the big picture. 

I used to have a coach that always said, “the main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing”. It didn’t really resonate for me until I got older and I started my own coaching career/life generally just gets more complicated. But Sunday seemed like the antithesis of this. 

Edited by Mango

50 minutes ago, dpberr said:

To me, it looks like the OL is completely baffled on where CIN is going, and they end up chasing the Bengals as they run into the backfield.

Mills #79 completely wiffs on his block and ends up chasing his man in the first video.

That's not a strength issue.  That's problems comprehending zone blocking.  

We have been seeing this for 3 years now and still nothing has been done to fix it...mind numbing

57 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is very illuminating. Josh definitely missed some things, but had very little to work with and even when he had time, he had pressure in his grill. 

I think the thing that bothers me is that the D-line was making the O-line its you know what all game and we didn't adjust at all. We didn't go to short dumps, or keeping a blocking end in, or chipping with the running backs. 

Our biggest pet peeve last year was a game plan that had no fluidity... I really hope we don't see that this year. 

I also don't like the last video where he said "failed to pull trigger" but didn't show us the downfield perspective. I could be missing it by not reading the article, but definitely need context on that.

The final sack of the first half is really a toss up. It’s 3rd and 29, so an impossible down and distance. The Bills send four into routes while the running back chips then releases. The routes appear to be vertical in nature, as most exit the broadcast view around the 10 yard mark. Allen appears to be working the two-man route combination to the wide side of the field. Bengals defensive end Willis is matched up against guard John Miller and he uses a push-pull.

push-pull.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-28-at-8.56.04-AM.png

Then a chop move to break free from the former Louisville Cardinal.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-28-at-8.57.40-AM.png

Willis is unimpeded to the QB and he forces Allen to pull the ball down, before his teammate Carl Lawson cleans up.

Cause: This is a tough one because we can’t see the receivers down the field. But with over three seconds afforded to Allen and how he was under pressure the entire day, his internal clock should have gone off and escaped the pocket or thrown it away. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a play that really hurt the offense, but within the context of this play, in my opinion, Allen is at fault.

You know, I do wonder too what the coaches are telling Allen. He got flack for bad mechanics coming out of school, and a lot of that had to do with him running for his life. I wonder if he has been told to stand strong in the pocket and make plays and this is curbing his natural ability to get away from this pressure. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

You know, I do wonder too what the coaches are telling Allen. He got flack for bad mechanics coming out of school, and a lot of that had to do with him running for his life. I wonder if he has been told to stand strong in the pocket and make plays and this is curbing his natural ability to get away from this pressure. 

I'm thinking no with the three scrambles in Cleveland and another on Sunday against Cincinnati. 

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

Why is it that the Bills hardly run screen plays to slow down the rush. They used it all the time with Thurman.

The Bills have not been able to execute or stop a screen play since Megamind Chan Gailey was coaching the team.

41 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We have been seeing this for 3 years now and still nothing has been done to fix it...mind numbing

I think the problems have less to do with strength and more about football smarts.  

The reason why Lawson and Billings had track meets on Sunday was because they were running in open space.  That does fall on the players but I'd put even more blame on the coaching.  The line calls are either completely wrong or the players don't understand where they need to be.  

• Like (+1) 1

Three seconds on third and 29 isn't enough time. Allen either had to throw it away or hang on a bit longer for the WR's to get past the sticks and hope the line holds up. "Analytics" would say the smarter play was to throw it away but at that point in the game, we were desperate for something to happen so I can't fault him for hanging on to it. 

Thank god its just preseason.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Athletic: Erik Turner Breaks Down the Bengals' Five Sacks of Josh Allen
2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This is very illuminating. Josh definitely missed some things, but had very little to work with and even when he had time, he had pressure in his grill. 

I think the thing that bothers me is that the D-line was making the O-line its you know what all game and we didn't adjust at all. We didn't go to short dumps, or keeping a blocking end in, or chipping with the running backs. 

Our biggest pet peeve last year was a game plan that had no fluidity... I really hope we don't see that this year. 

I also don't like the last video where he said "failed to pull trigger" but didn't show us the downfield perspective. I could be missing it by not reading the article, but definitely need context on that. 

I wouldn't worry about what you see in preseason from a game plan or adjustments.  Especially in a rookies first start where the gameplay was minimal to begin with.  Additionally, McD said he was going to rotate the starting OL all game long trying different looks, and was intentional and not just because they were struggling.  So, there is not much to take away here for adjustments or game plan analysis.