Please name Josh Allen the starter

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

All the lols 

Hey I'm not... but I wanted to be wrong about Allen. I'm still not all the way in, but like I've said in my op...  he's earned me not ripping him anymore right now. He has my Bills looking good...& that makes me happy

19 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

To be fully honest, I was not happy with the Allen pick on draft night.

But I just got done watching his snaps, and it looks like all my concerns were addressed.

Accuracy issues? 9 of 13. Even more important, there was only one head stretching throw that I saw. (The first pass). The others were drops, quick shots to avoid a sack or throwing it up in the red zone in a spot where only his receiver had a shot.

Footwork? That TD pass was a thing of beauty.

Not ready for an NFL defense? He took his time, kept his eyes downfield.

Yes, there were rookie mistakes and all the caveats of preseason apply, but he definitely earned time with the 1s.

Allen misread the defense there, Benjamin found a soft spot on the zone coverage and Allen mistakenly tried to lead him with the pass. With experience he will be able to pick this up. 

I think one thing is crystal clear from the actual experiences of McD and the Bills with developing QBs which is that starting a QB before he is ready is a disaster strategy )ex. witness McDs poor handling of Peterman last year as the attraction of the shiny penny of NP's initial play led to his disastrous SD start.

Different players are different players so NP getting thrown under the bus does not definitely indicate Allen should sit, but I think it is also clear from the Bills history as it has made error after error in rushing young talented players to start as we fruitlessly searched for the next Jim Kelly thatputting in the next great hope before he has demonstrated clearly his production against NFL starters is just bad development.

Has Allen performed and done everything we asked of him so far?

Yep and then some!

However, all we have correctly asked of him so far is to play in garbage time against NC and lead our 3s and 4s against there 3s and 4s and then lead our twos and a few ones against what looked like Cleveland's 2s and a few ones.

He did well doing this, but it seems like not much to me to get one's panties in a wad and simply declare him the #1.

Was NP great against a Cle team which was hapless at best last year?

Nope.

However, he did pretty well leading poor players (our 3s and a few 2s) to a win over the Brown scrubs.

My sense is you start NP in game 3 and give him the chance to further earn the start he has not lost yet.

Developing Allen is still the big priority and his clear expected arm strength and some surprisingly very good pocket awareness against waiver wire Seahawks and back-ups of a bad Browns team while it does justify continued better shots at advancement for Allen simply does not require us to panic and demand that he start in our O which is still finding its footing under a first year OC and a OL which is troubled at best and a WR corps which is undermanned at best and potentially (probably) sub NFL starter quality.

Look, McD rushed NP to play last year with disastrous game results and still an open question whether he already has ruined the development of a young talented QB.

Doing the same with Allen (giving him the #1 before he has earned with very good play against a good opponent's #1s does not seem like good player development to this fan.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

I feel like he gives us the best chance to win seeing him out there over the other two QB's.  The arm talent is something we have not seen with our Bills. If he starts this season he will have his ups and downs but should still learn and develope like Wentz in his first two seasons. That's THE PROCESS we're looking for.  IN THE PROCESS WE TRUST!!  GO BILLS!!

That TD last night where he sidestepped a defender, slid around the pocket and then delivered a dart perfectly in stride over the middle to Streater in the back of the end zone reminded me of Wentz to be honest...

That was where I said to myself..."OK I've seen enough...start him".  There are not many QBs who have the pocket presence to even make that play let alone deliver a dart like that. Yes he might make mistakes and will likely be rough patches during the year but what he showed was something special that you cannot teach.  That was the "it" factor people talk about.

Edited by matter2003

53 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Why hasn't he earned it? His start was nearly flawless. He's done nothing to lose the job. Allen is gaining, but you have to remember, he's going to struggle as a rookie vs top defense. So you have to be realistic and understand it won't be pretty early on. Are you prepared to struggle with Allen starting, if not then let Peterman start to take pressure off Allen.

Yeah but in real games Nathan Peterman has struggled probably more than any QB in NFL history, he's looked good last preseason as well but doesn't cut it in real games, there should be zero argument for Peterman to start over Allen ever again.

Once teams start game planning, which guy has the best chance to succeed?

I think McCarron is pretty much out of the running to start week 1 after the injury. I don’t really trust hanging a season on Peterman. Gameplanning will lead to CBs jumping his quick rhythm throwing with not much mustard behind it. Like we almost seen last night with the first throw. 

We got a QB who looks real poise, moves well in the pocket and makes throws most QBs could only dream of.  Throw him to the wolves like Manning, Carr, Newton and Wentz and let him learn from his own gamefilm. 

Josh Allen forcing his way to front of Bills' QB derby

Josh Allen is forcing his way to the front of the Bills' quarterback competition.

After AJ McCarron suffered through four consecutive three-and-outs to begin Friday night's 19-17 win over the Browns, Allen directed scoring drives on all three of his possessions. Second-year signal-caller Nathan Peterman was third in the rotation, tossing a 35-yard touchdown of his own against broken coverage.

Late in the fourth quarter, Buffalo announced an injury to McCarron's throwing shoulder. Per the Buffalo News, it's a hairline fracture, likely jeopardizing his availability for the season opener.

That matchup versus the Bengals looms as a crucial one in the rookie's quest for the starting job. At this point, however, it's quite evident that Allen is the best quarterback on the roster.

7 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Mayfield is more NFL ready yet will be backup.

Allen should be our starter just because he is the better QB out of the 3. Not by a lot mind you, but with the obvious upsides and "it" factor, the only reason I'd put him at #2 is that OLine will get whoever is there killed! Even Shady!

The oline thing makes no sense, Peterman is much less mobile and much more fragile and much worse under pressure, if the line is so bad it won't be long before Allen would be forced into action, less prepared than he should be.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Hey I'm not... but I wanted to be wrong about Allen. I'm still not all the way in, but like I've said in my op...  he's earned me not ripping him anymore right now. He has my Bills looking good...& that makes me happy

Bro. With as over the top and dramatic as you’ve been about Allen in the offseason..... you shown your hand.

im gonna assume if you happen to approach other matters that way you are wrong wayyyyy more than you might think. 

Your hot takes have looked really foolish so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Beyond the throws, he just looks like a vet out there...  Changing the plays at the line, feeling pressure, moving in the pocket.  Impressive.

I thought he was a project?  lol

ya know... i saw him change the play at the line last night and i almost had to remind myself what he was doing after not seeing it one single time in the three years prior. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was firmly in the "don't rush Allen" camp but watching him last night, along with McCarron getting injured, has changed my mind. The kid is either better than advertised or he learns at an astonishing rate. I would be shocked it Allen doesn't start Sunday vs the Bengals, and if he plays at the same level, named the starter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Allen has shown flashes of brilliance. Unbelievable arm strength, some pocket presence, command of the huddle.  His potential is incredible.

McCarron looked horrible last night, not as good as last week.  Peterman looked OK, not as good as last week, but would start him over AJ in a minute.

That being said, Allen isn’t As NFL ready as the other two, but you have to start him.  Put him in next week for the first half, if not first 3 quarters.  His few rookie plays a game are outweighed by his ability.  Did I say that dudes arm is unbelievable?  

If he starts, the expectation can’t be the playoffs, 7-9 would be my guess.  I’m fine with that.

Edited by davefan66

53 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know. As much as I loved Tyrod's runs, it's huge to he steady in the pocket when you know a hit is coming.

This is off-track, but one of my favorite plays was the Brown's sack of Allen, for the fact that the DE came in unblocked, hit Allen at full speed and our boy barely budged. The dude's a beast.

• Like (+1) 1