Damn Deadheads!

Chef Jim

14 hours ago, mead107 said:

You are not making the opener, I’m sad ☹️?

He says he’s busy but he’s actually turning into a Deadhead and will start following the band cross country once he gets a VW van. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

He says he’s busy but he’s actually turning into a Deadhead and will start following the band cross country once he gets a VW van. 

Jerry still playing???

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Buffalo PBS station is showing the 1989 Alpine  Valley show right now

The shows from 1989 are my favorite. Alpine Valley, Philly and of course Buffalo were just superb. Jerry was (or at least strongly appeared to be) sober and Brent was at his best. You could tell by the look on their faces that they knew they had it together.

• Like (+1) 2

The Brent years are my least delved into

I think I'll start today, seems about right for my early 50s ease into middle age...

Dicks Picks 5, spin away..

a benefit for Wavy Gravy and Ram Dass, !@#$ where did the time go and we get leaders like this in the present age....  :(

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The shows from 1989 are my favorite. Alpine Valley, Philly and of course Buffalo were just superb. Jerry was (or at least strongly appeared to be) sober and Brent was at his best. You could tell by the look on their faces that they knew they had it together.

Philly was a great show and Blow Away was probably the best representation of what Brent brought to the band.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Philly was a great show and Blow Away was probably the best representation of what Brent brought to the band.  

I don't know man. Iko Iko was a Brent masterpiece down to the very last 2 notes.

Jerry would look at him and smile that whole tour. I remember Jerry telling a reporter that Brent was settled in and he wanted him to take a more active role.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

I think I'll start today, seems about right for my early 50s ease into middle age...

Dicks Picks 5, spin away..

a benefit for Wavy Gravy and Ram Dass, !@#$ where did the time go and we get leaders like this in the present age....  :(

Like I said, summer/89 was as good as it gets. Enjoy! :)

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Brent had one of the best gravelly, blues voices I've ever heard.  When he was "on" and harmonized with Jerry or Bob, it was magic.

That said, I wasn't a fan of some of his keyboard work, especially when he provided "fill in" parts.

That said, boy do I miss these guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Brent had one of the best gravelly, blues voices I've ever heard.  When he was "on" and harmonized with Jerry or Bob, it was magic.

That said, I wasn't a fan of some of his keyboard work, especially when he provided "fill in" parts.

thanks!  i look forward to diving into the summer of 1979 to the summer of 1990 for the next decade or so...

so many resources out there, even podcasts with 4 hour shows....

• Like (+1) 1

Don't ignore Dead & Company, they are getting stronger each tour, sure it's not anywhere close to the same, but some is better than none, except of course herpes or cancer :-)

13 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Edited by The Poojer
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Don't ignore Dead & Company, they are getting stronger each tour, sure it's not anywhere close to the same, but some is better than none, except of course herpes or cancer :-)

I would definitely check them out, but the trouble is that they don't tour down here.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Don't ignore Dead & Company, they are getting stronger each tour, sure it's not anywhere close to the same, but some is better than none, except of course herpes or cancer ?

Not a fan of cover bands. ?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Not a fan of cover bands. ?

Yeah... Like the Grateful Dead wasn't a "cover band" also? You gotta be kidding me, they are a quintessential cover band that just happen to supplement their their own music:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grateful_Dead_cover_versions

A Woody song:

On of my favs... Dylan (I really like Van's cover):

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Like the Grateful Dead wasn't a "cover band" also? You gotta be kidding me, they are a quintessential cover band that just happen to supplement their their own music:

I guess you couldn’t tell my post was very tongue in cheek. 

Exiled, most rock fans have zero clue what the set list was for a Dead show, they couldn’t even begin to guess the content. 

Nor could most country/western fans, who would be most pleased.