Josh Allens Throwing Angle

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Phillip Rivers has it too.  His first coach, I believe was Shottenheimer?  Anyway, they used to put 7 ft ladders in front of him forcing him to start throwing more over the top.  

I don't know if it actually helped or not.  

Josh Allen would be the product if Phil Rivers and Big Ben could somehow conceive a child.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Phillip Rivers has it too.  His first coach, I believe was Shottenheimer?  Anyway, they used to put 7 ft ladders in front of him forcing him to start throwing more over the top.  

I don't know if it actually helped or not.  

Rivers just has that awkward 3/4 sidearm release which no QB coach will teach but he has been so effective so it’s moot

Rivers not only had great accuracy, but very good arm strength with his release...

he still has it to this day... I throw with a 3/4 motion too but every coach loved the way the ball came out of my hand so I never changed it either

Edited by Buffalo716

When it comes to understanding throwing mechanics, I'm much more of a baseball guy than a football guy, but to me Allen's delivery DOES look very different.

Probably the two qualities that stand out most to me about it are that it seems very compact and very fast. The comments above about the lower placement of his elbow probably explains the compactness. 

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I always notice if a guy has a dip because I have one too.  I noticed it immediately with Allen.

Here's two screen shots of a throw on Thursday.  Drops it close to the hip and looks his elbow is below the shoulder near release.  An old school QB coach, like the one I had in HS would try to correct it.  I don't see an issue with it since it's not a long wind up.

Allen throw 2.jpg

Folks this is not a flaw and   There's plenty of information out there where circling right below the breast plate is perfectly acceptable and coached.   Allen has a very similar motion to Wentz although I'd say a slightly smaller circle - where for example Brees has a much larger circle.  It's about efficiency in the release time and Allen certainly doesn't suffer from that.  If a coach tried to change this about him - I would fire him immediately.  

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Folks this is not a flaw and   There's plenty of information out there where circling right below the breast plate is perfectly acceptable and coached.   Allen has a very similar motion to Wentz although I'd say a slightly smaller circle - where for example Brees has a much larger circle.  It's about efficiency in the release time and Allen certainly doesn't suffer from that.  If a coach tried to change this about him - I would fire him immediately.  

I know...I've had coaches try to change me.  

When I played baseball and was at the plate, I had a hitch and dropped my hands too.  It was just my trigger.

When I pitched, I would drop my hand below my waist.  I liked watching David Wells pitch because we had very similar throwing motions.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I wonder why QB's don't get arm injuries like baseball pitchers do?

QB's aren't throwing with nearly the frequency or velocity that pitchers do. Plus don't forget, pitchers are stepping down hill, aiding all that elbow- and shoulder-blowing momentum even more. A pitcher's arm is behaving almost like a whip, putting tremendous tension on the MCL (the "Tommy John" ligament). 

I think what makes Allen unique is his hip rotation; he generates most of his power in that manner.  He is harnessing his entire big body which is why he has such velocity.  Similar to how boxers throw a punch.  They punch with their hips, not their arms. 

He does not throw with his arm, per se.

Edited by Fadingpain

Just now, jimmy10 said:

QB's aren't throwing with nearly the frequency or velocity that pitchers do. Plus don't forget, pitchers are stepping down hill, aiding all that elbow- and shoulder-blowing momentum even more. A pitcher's arm is behaving almost like a whip, putting tremendous tension on the MCL (the "Tommy John" ligament). 

Counting practice time they probably are close on frequency, but yeah, that makes sense.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has a classic over the top, quick release... The way the ball comes out is Bledsoe esq

its just different 

I disagree... I feel Allen throws more 3/4 where Kelly was more over the top...I’ve also seen still frame pics that seem to illustrate this.

Edited by JaCrispy

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Fair enough

But he definitely does have a 3/4 flare when he goes deep. He had a longer motion 2 years ago so I bet it’s a work in progress ...

regardless, the football comes out of his hand like he was sculpted by the football gods... when you think up what a football looks like when it leaves a QBs hand, Allen is the model 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

One thing I notice is does drop the hand level low before he throws it.

It goes down to his hip.  Not saying it's an issue because he actually releases it pretty quickly.  It was an issue with Byron Leftwich since his was a much longer wind up.

Allen throwing.jpg

Good observation Royale.  Actually I think this could be a very big issue when real games are played, defenders will be going after that constantly to strip him.