Patriots Release WR Malcolm Mitchell

The New England Patriots continue to churn their receiver corps.

The team will release Malcolm Mitchell on Monday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per sources informed of the decision.

Mitchell spent some time on the conditioning fields during training camp practices after undergoing a knee procedure last month. There was some hope over the weekend he could return after being seen at practice in pads -- he did not participate with the team. Alas, the injury-plagued receiver isn't healthy enough at this stage.

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

He's a WR, so most fans would say yes.  Art Monk or Michael Irvin could talk about making a comeback and fans would be saying "why not?  bring him in.  can't hurt."

I was hoping for some thoughtful responses, but instead got a mouth-breather.

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I was hoping for some thoughtful responses, but instead got a mouth-breather.

What's there to be "thoughtful" about?    Mitchell isn't healthy enough to play.  Even if I thought a one-legged WR might be faster than some of the guys currently listed as WRs for Bills, I would consider it unethical.  I think the NFLPA would, too.

Just now, SoTier said:

What's there to be "thoughtful" about?    Mitchell isn't healthy enough to play.  Even if I thought a one-legged WR might be faster than some of the guys currently listed as WRs for Bills, I would consider it unethical.  I think the NFLPA would, too.

I was not up on his injury history, hence the question.  thanks

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

:w00t:  Is he worth a look?

Played one good year for the Pats in 2016.  Out all last year.  Said to have just had knee surgery.  I'm thinking the Pats dumped him cuz, "no"

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Sorry to disappoint you, your highness.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Don't let it happen again peasant

image.thumb.png.70a08fdaf482cfead2251e0e23a2071b.png

Sure get him in for a workout. Keep improving roster. 

Strengths

Made huge jump in explosive plays and yards per catch from 2014 to 2015. Has the ability to make some plays down the field with a quarterback who will take some shots. Adequate play speed and can vary tempo of his routes. Very good hip sink to stop quickly and open up to the quarterback. Route running shows promise. Smooth with change of direction and works back to the ball. Able to make sharp cuts out of breaks and does a nice job of selling double moves. Consistently tracks and high-­points downfield throws and is able to adjust to throws high, low and outside. Generally reliable hands and showed toughness in making catches where he know he was going to take a big shot.

Weaknesses

Doesnt have plus size or speed to consistently threaten outside cornerbacks. Speedy cornerbacks sat on his routes and showed little respect for his long speed. Can be knocked off schedule by physical cornerbacks. Must prove he can adjust routes without the noticeable slowing that the tape shows. Has room for improvement with leveraging of routes to create more separation for out-breaking routes. Will duck head and give away timing of when hes going to sink his routes to man cornerbacks. Would like to see better separation ability underneath. Knee injuries slowed his career so his medicals could be a concern. Not as effective as a blocker in space as some teams will want.

Draft Projection

Rounds 3 or 4

NFL Comparison

Nelson Agholor

Bottom Line

Mitchell was hampered by injuries in the past and inconsistent quarterback play this year, but there is no doubting his ball skills and smoothness as a route runner. His speed is just average and he doesn't get as much separation as teams like underneath, but he's tough, can make contested catches and has the type of personal and football character that will have scouts pulling for him in their draft rooms. Mitchell will be a 24-year-old rookie.

Bring in both Malcom Mitchell and Brandon Coleman for physicals and workouts. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Patriots Release WR Malcolm Mitchell