Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 10 - Closed to the Public

28 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Thanks... I'll be back in a few....

why show this during a work day?  i'm stuck here for a bit more.  maybe stuck was the wrong word.

13 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Ol' Katy does have some bodacious knockers.

Too bad they're attached to one of the most annoying human beings to ever walk the face of the planet.

that's why ball gags were invented.  

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Ouch. That interception is all on Foster. 

On the upside, isn't that Bush, with yet another pick? Pretty sure that he's been involved in 3 turnovers in the last 3 practices. If McDermott wants to play 3 safeties(Big Nickel)...perhaps he's got his man.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

that's why ball gags were invented.  

Oh man. Now you're in trouble. See, you're not allowed to make that joke, or any like it, anymore. Why? Because I said so, and I'm way more moral than you.

45 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

As Brian Billick just said on the NFL Channel, if you draft a guy no. 7 overall, you play him. If you have to sit him because he's not ready yet, you made a bad pick. That's what I said when they first drafted Allen. 

Play him. Give him a strong running game and bring him along slowly, but PLAY HIM. If Joe Flacco started out of the gate as a No. 17 pick, if Russell Wilson played as a 3rd round draft pick, then Josh Allen better step up and be the starter on day 1.

Why start AJ or Petyerman if you're just going to go to Allen after game 4? So, what? You're hoping one of the other guys fails so Allen can get his shot? That's moronic. 

PLAY JOSH ALLEN and let's see what we've got. 

I will disagree. You don't simply start a player, regardless of position, due to their Draft status. IMO, you Draft a guy like Josh Allen believing unequivocally that he *will* be your franchise QB but all of the QBs have their warts. They built the Defense to win this year and the Offense is coming around, see Corey Coleman, but they're still building that side of the ball. So, let Peterman (if it's him) lead the Offense as it grows and let Josh learn the nuances of the NFL game, get Daboll's Offense down cold, and allow him to grow. 

Now, if Allen is the best of the 3, then you play him but that's because he's better than the other two, not simply to find out how fast your new hot rod can go....it has to be what's best for the team in both the short and the long run. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

As Brian Billick just said on the NFL Channel, if you draft a guy no. 7 overall, you play him. If you have to sit him because he's not ready yet, you made a bad pick. That's what I said when they first drafted Allen. 

Play him. Give him a strong running game and bring him along slowly, but PLAY HIM. If Joe Flacco started out of the gate as a No. 17 pick, if Russell Wilson played as a 3rd round draft pick, then Josh Allen better step up and be the starter on day 1.

Why start AJ or Petyerman if you're just going to go to Allen after game 4? So, what? You're hoping one of the other guys fails so Allen can get his shot? That's moronic. 

PLAY JOSH ALLEN and let's see what we've got. 

I seen the interview too.  I thought it was funny how he mentioned he "may" have screwed Kyle Boller up by starting him too soon.

How come nobody asked him "Do you think having Boller sit for a while could of made a difference in his career"?

I will admit I'm in the "wait at least 4 games before you start Allen" group and so far I see no problem with that.

Could it be that Billick (who spent his entire HC career in Baltimore) would rather have a rookie start the opening season game OR face AJM who

beat the Ravens in one of his few NFL starts?  I'm only kidding about this question but his reply had a bit of a "hot take" to it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I will disagree. You don't simply start a player, regardless of position, due to their Draft status. IMO, you Draft a guy like Josh Allen believing unequivocally that he *will* be your franchise QB but all of the QBs have their warts. They built the Defense to win this year and the Offense is coming around, see Corey Coleman, but they're still building that side of the ball. So, let Peterman (if it's him) lead the Offense as it grows and let Josh learn the nuances of the NFL game, get Daboll's Offense down cold, and allow him to grow. 

Now, if Allen is the best of the 3, then you play him but that's because he's better than the other two, not simply to find out how fast your new hot rod can go....it has to be what's best for the team in both the short and the long run. 

Again, I already said that you don't play him unless he's the best QB. I think after camp so far, it's pretty obvious he's the most talented QB we've got.

This isn't Patrick Mahomes sitting behind an Alex Smith. That, I get. But AJ or Peterman are not Alex Smith. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I seen the interview too.  I thought it was funny how he mentioned he "may" have screwed Kyle Boller up by starting him too soon.

How come nobody asked him "Do you think having Boller sit for a while could of made a difference in his career"?

I will admit I'm in the "wait at least 4 games before you start Allen" group and so far I see no problem with that.

Could it be that Billick (who spent his entire HC career in Baltimore) would rather have a rookie start the opening season game OR face AJM who

beat the Ravens in one of his few NFL starts?  I'm only kidding about this question but his reply had a bit of a "hot take" to it.

I'm not going to defend Brian Billick's decision tree on Kyle Boller lol. 

But I don't get this mindset. You're basically saying, "screw this season, let's start AJ against some tough opponents, let him get his head beaten in, and then start Allen when the season is all but lost." So you're wanting AJ to fail? What happens if AJ starts the season and goes 4-0? I mean, I don't think that'll happen and it'd be an interesting problem to have, but what happens to your plan then? Do we extend AJ and give him more money and hope he's the 2nd coming of Ryan !@#$ing Fitzpatrick? Our future franchise QB is now the back-up? 

If he's ready, start Josh Allen. And by all reports, he's at least as ready as the other two guys. 

Edited by Domdab99

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'm not going to defend Brian Billick's decision tree on Kyle Boller lol. 

But I don't get this mindset. You're basically saying, "screw this season, let's start AJ against some tough opponents, let him get his head beaten in, and then start Allen when the season is all but lost." So you're wanting AJ to fail? What happens if AJ starts the season and goes 4-0? I mean, I don't think that'll happen and it'd be an interesting problem to have, but what happens to your plan then? Do we extend AJ and give him more money and hope he's the 2nd coming of Ryan !@#$ing Fitzpatrick? Our future franchise QB is now the back-up? 

If he's ready, start Josh Allen. And by all reports, he's at least as ready as the other two guys. 

I like your reply about Billick's decision tree!

As to my reasoning.  First I don't feel this way about every drafted QB.  I believe each rookie QB has a different scenario.  I will just talk about the Bills

and Josh Allen.  If it was Peyton Manning we were talking about I might have a different opinion.

Looking at JA's college career he is a late bloomer.  Junior College first, an injury losing him a year and only 2 years at Wyoming makes his exposure to

the position as far as preparing him for the NFL as raw.  My personal feelings about being a little more patient with his development has nothing to do

with the other QB's or even what the Bill's record will be.  I think the most important thing is to put JA in a position to succeed.

I like how they have him with the 3's for far.  He is working on fundamentals and learning the NFL game.  He will see a big increase in his first few

preseason games.  If he was named the starter he would immediately have to concern himself with "game planning" and other starter responsibilities.

This would hamper his foundation work.  It also gives him some experience by "seeing" what a starter has to do, game planning in the NFL,

dissect after game film, etc a few weeks before he will have to do that on his own.

He can continue to work on these skills as the #2 and without "starter" pressure just take in the first games of an NFL season.  Heck, his home games in

Wyoming had less than 30,000 fans in the stands.  This action alone doubles the time he has to acclimate to the NFL.  Once that is done, McDermott and

Daboll can evaluate where the starter (whoever that is) is at and have JA enter the games accordingly.

I want to see Allen play as bad as anyone but I also want him to succeed as soon as possible.

I believe that this is a fair compromise for the team and Josh Allen.  As for AJM starting 4-0, I wouldn't be sad at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like your reply about Billick's decision tree!

As to my reasoning.  First I don't feel this way about every drafted QB.  I believe each rookie QB has a different scenario.  I will just talk about the Bills

and Josh Allen.  If it was Peyton Manning we were talking about I might have a different opinion.

Looking at JA's college career he is a late bloomer.  Junior College first, an injury losing him a year and only 2 years at Wyoming makes his exposure to

the position as far as preparing him for the NFL as raw.  My personal feelings about being a little more patient with his development has nothing to do

with the other QB's or even what the Bill's record will be.  I think the most important thing is to put JA in a position to succeed.

I like how they have him with the 3's for far.  He is working on fundamentals and learning the NFL game.  He will see a big increase in his first few

preseason games.  If he was named the starter he would immediately have to concern himself with "game planning" and other starter responsibilities.

This would hamper his foundation work.  It also gives him some experience by "seeing" what a starter has to do, game planning in the NFL,

dissect after game film, etc a few weeks before he will have to do that on his own.

He can continue to work on these skills as the #2 and without "starter" pressure just take in the first games of an NFL season.  Heck, his home games in

Wyoming had less than 30,000 fans in the stands.  This action alone doubles the time he has to acclimate to the NFL.  Once that is done, McDermott and

Daboll can evaluate where the starter (whoever that is) is at and have JA enter the games accordingly.

I want to see Allen play as bad as anyone but I also want him to succeed as soon as possible.

I believe that this is a fair compromise for the team and Josh Allen.  As for AJM starting 4-0, I wouldn't be sad at all. 

I mean, I don't really agree, but I can certainly see this point of view as reasonable. 

Wait, did I just say that someone I'm arguing with on a forum has a reasonable point of view? 

I hope I didn't just break the internet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am at the persuasion that Peterman is going to be our starter if it isn't Allen. He has shown more than AJM with his quicker release and less confusion and the ability to read the field more  than AJM. AJN seems to be a reiteration of  Captain Checkdown......

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

...agree on your great points....only part I'm not sure of is Allen showing he's the best of the three...with the OL in the state of flux/development, same for WR corp (and NOT because of the yipsters and "worst in the league" crap; try a BRAND NEW word in their vocabulary: DOWNFIELD) as well as the running game behind Shady and blocking abilities.......not sure if McD may want to see some of those questions answered (NOT to say McCarron and/or Peterman are guinea pigs) before starting Josh, hopefully THE long sought after franchise QB.....have NO idea which way Coach would lean....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I mean, I don't really agree, but I can certainly see this point of view as reasonable. 

Wait, did I just say that someone I'm arguing with on a forum has a reasonable point of view? 

I hope I didn't just break the internet. 

I still have web access so I guess the internet still works!

We fans can argue and debate...............got to be a lot tougher if your career rides on it.

We will know more Thursday night.  Imo the fix is in.  It's being set up for Allen.  He is basically getting all the reps with the guys he will play with Thursday.  Similar defense that he faces daily.  Second half single high safety man or zone not much blitzing.  I expect Allen to have the best stat sheet and highlights.  That happens he splits first team reps next week.  

There is no one rule as to how to break in a new quarterback. It all depends on what kind of a person that QB is. Some guys could play a whole season getting picked off and sacked at a record pace and manage to learn from it all so that they comeback in year two as an all star. Another guy might not be able endure that kind of physical and emotional pounding and instead needs to be able to adjust and mature at a slower pace before becoming a big time QB hero. Anyone who has raised more than one child knows that what works for one might be the worst thing in the world for a different child. 

Coaching would be easy if all you had to do was follow one formula over and over and over again with every player. What makes it hard is figuring out what makes all those different clocks tick.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

There is no one rule as to how to break in a new quarterback. It all depends on what kind of a person that QB is. Some guys could play a whole season getting picked off and sacked at a record pace and manage to learn from it all so that they comeback in year two as an all star. Another guy might not be able endure that kind of physical and emotional pounding and instead needs to be able to adjust and mature at a slower pace before becoming a big time QB hero. Anyone who has raised more than one child knows that what works for one might be the worst thing in the world for a different child. 

Coaching would be easy if all you had to do was follow one formula over and over and over again with every player. What makes it hard is figuring out what makes all those different clocks tick.

Well said and the key to successful personnel management in any field. 

3 things to know from Day 10 at Bills camp

1 - Corey Coleman on his way

2 - Allen shows off accuracy

3 - Red zone defense stout

Bills Minute: Bills Acquire Corey Coleman (1:03)

Bills acquire former 1st rd pick, WR Corey Coleman, from Cleveland in exchange for a 7th round pick in 2020. The addition of Coleman amplifies an already heated battle for roster spots at the WR position.