Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 10 - Closed to the Public

7 minutes ago, eball said:

What we don't know is how the coaches -- not media members and fans -- have evaluated how all three QBs are doing thus far through camp.  To the media Peterman completes a short swing pass -- perhaps to the coaches he missed a big play down the field.  To a fan at camp Allen threw a pass at the receiver's feet -- perhaps to the coaches he saw a closing DB and was really throwing it away.  We just don't know.

I think the splitting of reps thus far is a matter of protecting Allen to a certain extent.  They know he's the 7th pick, and they know he's under intense scrutiny.  By naming him #3 from the get-go they've shielded him during the early part of TC, while legitimately giving AJM and NP a shot to prove their worth.

I feel as though you have to take Beane and McD at their word for the time being; after the first preseason game reps will start to be adjusted, and either Allen will have earned more of an opportunity or not.  I don't think it's fair to say he's out of the running to be the opening day starter. 

Fair or not eball, do you ever recall a QB on this or any other team isolated from the 1's this long into camp and come away with the starter position come opening day? Allens' biggest problem is having 2 serviceable starters in front of him. Not top shelf, but serviceable nonetheless. One of them (NP) being one of "their" guys and the other (AJM) being brought in as insurance in the event they couldn't score the QB they coveted in the draft. The Jets really forced McBeane's hand when they traded up to 3 because it made it conceivable they may not get their guy.  And that's on them BTW for thinking they can be cute with their draft ammo not thinking some QB needy team would leap frog them. In a perfect world it would be NP and Allen fighting it out for #1 and #2 while some PS player hold the 3 spot.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Fair or not eball, do you ever recall a QB on this or any other team isolated from the 1's this long into camp and come away with the starter position come opening day? Allens' biggest problem is having 2 serviceable starters in front of him. Not top shelf, but serviceable nonetheless. One of them (NP) being one of "their" guys and the other (AJM) being brought in as insurance in the event they couldn't score the QB they coveted in the draft. The Jets really forced McBeane's hand when they traded up to 3 because it made it conceivable they may not get their guy.  And that's on them BTW for thinking they can be cute with their draft ammo not thinking some QB needy team would leap frog them. In a perfect world it would be NP and Allen fighting it out for #1 and #2 while some PS player hold the 3 spot.

Your response pretty much ignores what I wrote.  The coaches are looking for certain things at this point and they may be seeing everything they need to see.  Who is getting reps with "the ones" during the first two weeks of camp is not conclusive of who will be the opening day starter when there is no proven, established veteran on the roster.  We will learn more on Thursday night and thereafter.

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Your response pretty much ignores what I wrote.  The coaches are looking for certain things at this point and they may be seeing everything they need to see.  Who is getting reps with "the ones" during the first two weeks of camp is not conclusive of who will be the opening day starter when there is no proven, established veteran on the roster.  We will learn more on Thursday night and thereafter.

Fair enough, I just don't see it. Wasn't ignoring your post. The coaches eye will determine who starts, not the fans. I just think at this point he hasn't shown enough.

23 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Fair enough, I just don't see it. Wasn't ignoring your post. The coaches eye will determine who starts, not the fans. I just think at this point he hasn't shown enough.

Which goes precisely to my point.  You (and me, and the media) have no idea what he has really "shown" because we don't know what the coaches are looking for.  We just hear "he's with the 3s" and presume that means he's out of the running.

I listened to/watched the first part of practice this morning on the Bills App with Murph and Tasker -- they both mentioned how the media praised Peterman's practice yesterday but they didn't necessarily agree.  And they both talked about how often during these practices Allen is making throws the other two QBs can't dream of making.  They sounded much higher on Allen than anything we've read.

I really think we're going to see some changes after Thursday if Allen acquits himself well during the game.

• Like (+1) 1

In most professions you cannot anoint a leader.  By making Allen the third QB he will have to out perform the other QBs.  They want to see how he does in the game.  Is he Lamar Jackson?  Or Deshaun Watson last year?  Practice is one thing but how do you handle yourself when the intensity is higher?  If Allen shines he becomes a real threat and favorite to start sooner rather than later.  If he falters they keep the same course and try to improve each week.