Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

1.  Was Gus’s demeanour on the phone and isolation meant as a slight impersonation of President Obama?

2.  All attempts to run a Foundation and Scholarship panel since George Constanza’s efforts for Susan are a running joke, right?

3.  Was waiting for Werner to unleash knives from his cuff links like Olivier did in Marathon Man

4.  Good to get Chuck’s real letter out there and for Jimmy to mourn suddenly like Roger Sterling did for his mother when the shoeshine box man bequeathed his shine box to Roger

5.  s’all good man. ? 

53 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This could be the first episode in a while that I'll want to watch again.

Where does it go from here ?  Lalo is annoying

We won’t mourn Lalo’s passing, great character though!!!!

Awesome episode.  The look on Kim's face when she realized Jimmy was acting was priceless.

The Werner/Mike "isn't there another way?" dialogue was eerily reminiscent of Walt's pleading in BB.  Now we know how Mike got that way and why Gus trusts him implicitly.

Next season the BB tie-ins should really start rolling in.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Awesome episode.  The look on Kim's face when she realized Jimmy was acting was priceless.

The Werner/Mike "isn't there another way?" dialogue was eerily reminiscent of Walt's pleading in BB.  Now we know how Mike got that way and why Gus trusts him implicitly.

The constant mention of Jimmy seeing a therapist along with the cold opening is what made me think his speech was genuine as it was just repressed emotions about Chuck's death coming out.  I should've known better especially after his speech to the kid shortly before that.  Great acting there.  There's still some time between when they meet the Breaking Bad timeline as there was no Kim and the meth lab was complete at the time of Breaking Bad.  We also have to see what becomes of Nacho and how he crosses paths with Jimmy.  A complaint of mine this season is that there were two separate story lines that didn't overlap.  My guess is they go two more seasons and the overlap will happen in season 6.

Mike basically mercy killing that German guy was hard to watch, but at least he saved his wife.  Fit perfectly with his character as it would've been easy for him to wait until Gus's goons to show up and kill him without notice.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I feel like it has one season left at this point.  Next season he gets his Saul operation up and running and Fring gets the lab up to pre-Heisenberg levels.  That does sound like it could be a lot of details, so maybe they get two seasons out of it.

The one thing that bugs me is that we have to wait a very long time to see who will be getting that post Breaking Bad phone call after Saul fled.  With the amount of time between seasons, I'll probably forget about by the time we get the next season.  It may just be the biggest loose thread out there at this point.

edit: And the Werner scene was tough to watch.  The stuff he had to say to his wife knowing that those were his last words to her, that was rough.

Edited by shrader

Great episode last night. It was sad to see the final scene with Jimmy and Kim as their split seems inevitable. Seems everytime Jimmy tried doing the right thing, it didn't work for him (when Chuck turned him down in the previous seasons and when Jimmy was sincere at his hearing and was told he wasn't sincere enough), so he's sticking with "Slippin' Jimmy" who we all know as Saul Goodman. 

Mike liked Werner and did everything he could for him (let him talk to his wife, tried pleading with Gus for him), so you could tell it was very hard for him to dispose of Werner. But by doing that, Mike has proved his worth to Gus. I'm interested in seeing what Gus and Mike have in store for Lalo. I like the gum bomb Mike used and Lalo's reaction to it. 

I'm also curious as to what happens with Gene. Last we saw of him was the taxi cab ride from the hospital. 

Any idea when season 5 is suppose to come out?

MIke's too soft deep down for this kind of work.  He blew it big time letting Lalo trail him 100%.

They start shooting in April 2019 and release is guessed from August to the end of 2019 according to all the sources...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Great episode last night. It was sad to see the final scene with Jimmy and Kim as their split seems inevitable. Seems everytime Jimmy tried doing the right thing, it didn't work for him (when Chuck turned him down in the previous seasons and when Jimmy was sincere at his hearing and was told he wasn't sincere enough), so he's sticking with "Slippin' Jimmy" who we all know as Saul Goodman. 

Mike liked Werner and did everything he could for him (let him talk to his wife, tried pleading with Gus for him), so you could tell it was very hard for him to dispose of Werner. But by doing that, Mike has proved his worth to Gus. I'm interested in seeing what Gus and Mike have in store for Lalo. I like the gum bomb Mike used and Lalo's reaction to it. 

I'm also curious as to what happens with Gene. Last we saw of him was the taxi cab ride from the hospital. 

Any idea when season 5 is suppose to come out?

That to me is a small flaw in the show. You would think a move like Lalo made would get the attention of police, not to mention what I assumed happened to the kid behind the counter.  The trick to being a gangster is not to draw attention.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I feel like it has one season left at this point.  Next season he gets his Saul operation up and running and Fring gets the lab up to pre-Heisenberg levels.  That does sound like it could be a lot of details, so maybe they get two seasons out of it.

The one thing that bugs me is that we have to wait a very long time to see who will be getting that post Breaking Bad phone call after Saul fled.  With the amount of time between seasons, I'll probably forget about by the time we get the next season.  It may just be the biggest loose thread out there at this point.

edit: And the Werner scene was tough to watch.  The stuff he had to say to his wife knowing that those were his last words to her, that was rough.

I also expect more of present day Gene in Omaha and how that works itself out. Maybe a Kim reunion?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That to me is a small flaw in the show. You would think a move like Lalo made would get the attention of police, not to mention what I assumed happened to the kid behind the counter.  The trick to being a gangster is not to draw attention.

he made sure to stop and pause right there so everyone could see his car and license plate

he will flame out brilliantly

45 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I also expect more of present day Gene in Omaha and how that works itself out. Maybe a Kim reunion?

Agreed. Plus, with having a nice, classic car, you would think Lalo would not want to smash it up. 

I'm curious to see if Gene's cover has been blown (with the taxi cab driver being from N.M.). 

16 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Agreed. Plus, with having a nice, classic car, you would think Lalo would not want to smash it up. 

I'm curious to see if Gene's cover has been blown (with the taxi cab driver being from N.M.). 

Tuco didn't take kindly to Mike dinging his classic car

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Wonder how long Tuco is in jail for? Will we see him again by the end of the series?

i think we are 4-5 years away from the start of Breaking Bad....

Tuco won't find it funny when he realizes Mike was a plant by.... Gus???....

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i think we are 4-5 years away from the start of Breaking Bad....

Tuco won't find it funny when he realizes Mike was a plant by.... Gus???....

Did they ever actually say when Breaking Bad took place?  I know an episode or two ago they showed a ton of paperwork from either Jimmy or Kim that said 2004.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

Did they ever actually say when Breaking Bad took place?  I know an episode or two ago they showed a ton of paperwork from either Jimmy or Kim that said 2004.

Not sure.  Some of the "experts" noted that when they bumped ahead 8 months a few episodes ago they were within 5 years of BB.

I tend not to get emotionally wrapped up in shows and movies, so I didn't really buy Jimmy's final D speech; I guess I must be one of the handful of people who didn't by the looks of things in reviews and reactions. 

He had his little time of honest mourning for Chuck in the car, mixed with realizing he was talking about himself to the shoplifting student.  Her gnome-print dress was a nice touch for the occasion...

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I tend not to get emotionally wrapped up in shows and movies, so I didn't really buy Jimmy's final D speech; I guess I must be one of the handful of people who didn't by the looks of things in reviews and reactions. 

He had his little time of honest mourning for Chuck in the car, mixed with realizing he was talking about himself to the shoplifting student.  Her gnome-print dress was a nice touch for the occasion...

At first, I wasn't sure if Jimmy was being sincere or if he was acting, but it turns out he was acting. Kim seemed so happy for Jimmy during his speech to the panel, but that all was taken away as soon as Jimmy said "I fooled them all." 

I liked that scene with the student. Jimmy is the type that he wants to give a person a second chance and roots for that person to do well, as that was him throughout his life. When he tries to do the right thing and it doesn't work out, he gets easily discouraged and reverts back to Slippin' Jimmy.

58 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not sure.  Some of the "experts" noted that when they bumped ahead 8 months a few episodes ago they were within 5 years of BB.

The only thing I can ever think of that shows the passage of time in Breaking Bad was the birthday bacon.  Now if only someone with incredible eyes had somehow caught a glimpse of Walt's DOB on his license or something.

Edited by shrader

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

The only thing I can ever think of that shows the passage of time in Breaking Bad was the birthday bacon.  Now if only someone with incredible eyes had somehow caught a glimpse of Walt's DOB on his license or something.

they are a long way from getting the lab to Gus's precise/prissy acceptable standard of working condition

where they turn to now will be another plot in season 5

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The constant mention of Jimmy seeing a therapist along with the cold opening is what made me think his speech was genuine as it was just repressed emotions about Chuck's death coming out.  I should've known better especially after his speech to the kid shortly before that.  Great acting there.  There's still some time between when they meet the Breaking Bad timeline as there was no Kim and the meth lab was complete at the time of Breaking Bad.  We also have to see what becomes of Nacho and how he crosses paths with Jimmy.  A complaint of mine this season is that there were two separate story lines that didn't overlap.  My guess is they go two more seasons and the overlap will happen in season 6.

Mike basically mercy killing that German guy was hard to watch, but at least he saved his wife.  Fit perfectly with his character as it would've been easy for him to wait until Gus's goons to show up and kill him without notice.

I would love 2 more seasons, but the talk from the producers has been they don’t see this going further than how many seasons of BB there was.  That would be 5 seasons.  Although if memory serves BB’s final season was stretched over a longer period, and was 16 episodes.  I just don’t see how they can bridge 4 years or so to BB, and wrap BCS in just 10 episodes.  Either more than one season, or they extend the number of episodes.

Thing is, if there is a spin-off planned (maybe Gus?) they’d probably want to get moving before the actors age too much more.  Been quite a few years since BB came out.

After a re-watch, the show lost so much without McKean in a major role this season, Jimmy’s takedown of Chuck to close last season was a million times better than his speech this time.

there was never any believable passion between Jimmy and Kim to replace the brotherly rivalry that was missing this season.

• Like (+1) 1

Loved the episode.   The scene where Mike kills him was great television.    I love at the end where he says he's going to be practicing under a different name, i just wish they had put a little bit of an explanation into it.  Does he not want  to tread on the McGill name anymore?   Or does he just want to make his own name?    

Just watched it last night, didnt really leave with a cliff hanger but set up the rest of the show now that Saul is born. 

This now sets up the final leg of the series. We have now seen how Saul comes to be, and how Mike became Gus's guy and how the meth lab was built. I guess theres a few ways to go about the series now. They could do another season showing the lab getting finished somehow now without its head builder, and Saul setting up his practice, or they could maybe stretch another season or 2 out of it by jumping forward a bit with Saul up and running and the lab being finished and getting up and running.

I think the last scene of the show should be the moment that Saul meets Walter, tying the 2 shows together. I still think that Gene is trying to reconnect, if he hasnt already, with Kim who I would expect leaves him and goes back home after realizing who he really is and can be. Could also see another curveballs thrown that the person Jimmy tells his assistant to call (if it isnt Kim who could also be practicing under a new name) is the girl he wanted to give the scholarship to. You find out she is the female version of him and work her through law school (maybe with his help) and she helps him with things?

I really dont see another spinoff of the series though. 

Edited by apuszczalowski

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Loved the episode.   The scene where Mike kills him was great television.    I love at the end where he says he's going to be practicing under a different name, i just wish they had put a little bit of an explanation into it.  Does he not want  to tread on the McGill name anymore?   Or does he just want to make his own name?    

Everyone BB fan knows that answer like they know what time the alarm clock is going off tomorrow

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just watched it last night, didnt really leave with a cliff hanger but set up the rest of the show now that Saul is born. 

This now sets up the final leg of the series. We have now seen how Saul comes to be, and how Mike became Gus's guy and how the meth lab was built. I guess theres a few ways to go about the series now. They could do another season showing the lab getting finished somehow now without its head builder, and Saul setting up his practice, or they could maybe stretch another season or 2 out of it by jumping forward a bit with Saul up and running and the lab being finished and getting up and running.

I think the last scene of the show should be the moment that Saul meets Walter, tying the 2 shows together.

I really dont see another spinoff of the series though. 

If everyone lives in real life they’ll squeeze the death out of it

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think he knows that he will always be associated with and tied to Chuck because of his name and will never get a chance because of it. Also this allows him to wipe the slate clean and start over with his own identity

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think he knows that he will always be associated with and tied to Chuck because of his name and will never get a chance because of it. Also this allows him to wipe the slate clean and start over with his own identity

I never watched BB so most of this is very new to me.   I've got netflix now so one of these shut in weekends i'm going to start binge watching that show. 

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I never watched BB so most of this is very new to me.   I've got netflix now so one of these shut in weekends i'm going to start binge watching that show. 

Go for it, I think he shows up in season 2 of BB

i would bigly enjoy seeing Saul from BB for the first time after getting the prequel first 

21 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Same here, haven't watched it yet, own the series on DVD, keep saying I'm going to watch it but haven't been able to.

Most nights I have shows or movies on my computer while working but BB is one of those shows I want to watch and pay attention to so it's hard to be working at the same time.

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Same here, haven't watched it yet, own the series on DVD, keep saying I'm going to watch it but haven't been able to.

Most nights I have shows or movies on my computer while working but BB is one of those shows I want to watch and pay attention to so it's hard to be working at the same time.

the first season drags along..... in BB......

you are forewarned...

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Everyone BB fan knows that answer like they know what time the alarm clock is going off tomorrow

I don't think you need to watch Breaking Bad to understand Jimmy's motives.  This whole season has painted a very clear picture that he wants absolutely nothing to do with Chuck.  That was pretty much the entire purpose of his portion of the story this entire season, right up to being disgusted by the decision for Chuck's memorial scholarship.  Once he got his license back, he no longer needed to take advantage of anything Chuck-related, so he completely cut ties.

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't think you need to watch Breaking Bad to understand Jimmy's motives.  This whole season has painted a very clear picture that he wants absolutely nothing to do with Chuck.  That was pretty much the entire purpose of his portion of the story this entire season, right up to being disgusted by the decision for Chuck's memorial scholarship.  Once he got his license back, he no longer needed to take advantage of anything Chuck-related, so he completely cut ties.

i was trying to suggest that a fan of BCS should watch BB.... :D

i guess you could take the opening of his destroying his office with Lady Liberty and the Declaration of Independence into full appreciation without seeing BB.

Jimmy's motives are cloudy and change on the dot, who can understand, just appreciate this fictional character and pray this isn't a future relative on the horizon...

50 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Construction crew will get killed in their sleep or something. They're all goners.  Gas in their trailers or something

Did they ever give a full explanation of the list of people that Mike was protecting and giving money at the end of his run on Breaking Bad?

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

A few episodes back, Jimmy used "Saul Goodman" on his phone-selling business cards. I guess he decided to keep that and get as far away from his brother's shadow as possible.

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

Did they ever give a full explanation of the list of people that Mike was protecting and giving money at the end of his run on Breaking Bad?

They were people loyal to Gus and they took a fall for him. Payments were meant to keep them quiet while locked up. Walt White had other plans though.  There was also money Mike was setting aside for his granddaughter.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Go for it, I think he shows up in season 2 of BB

i would bigly enjoy seeing Saul from BB for the first time after getting the prequel first 

BB is arguably the best drama series ever made. Not exaggerating.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've watched the whole series through no less than 6 times (once backwards) and there are still new details and nuances I pick up that I didn't notice before.  
The layers of complexity and detail and how everything lines up not only within BB but also BCS is beyond remarkable!  What an amazing team of writers Vince has put together. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A few episodes back, Jimmy used "Saul Goodman" on his phone-selling business cards. I guess he decided to keep that and get as far away from his brother's shadow as possible.

They were people loyal to Gus and they took a fall for him. Payments were meant to keep them quiet while locked up. Walt White had other plans though.  There was also money Mike was setting aside for his granddaughter.

Seasons 4 and 5 of BB were very intense.

Another show I liked a lot is Fargo. Seasons 1 and 2 were very good. Season 3 started off dull and confusing, but finished strong.

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1