Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

Finally watched the new episode. 

I'm getting burned out on the meth lab construction project.  It's not that interesting a plot line and we all know the lab is going to be built.  This is taking up too much show time each week! 

Disagree that it is a foregone conclusion that the workers will be killed.  Werner, the boss, may end up dead, but only because they have invested the time in us getting to know, and like, him.   

The letter writing scam has worked...for now.  I think this is going to backfire ultimately.  Ericsen, the ADA, is not going to be a pushover and the show left a trail of indicators suggesting that the plot will be discovered.   Just a question of whether or not the show wants to go down that path.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm getting burned out on the meth lab construction project.  It's not that interesting a plot line and we all know the lab is going to be built.  This is taking up too much show time each week! 

Disagree that it is a foregone conclusion that the workers will be killed.  Werner, the boss, may end up dead, but only because they have invested the time in us getting to know, and like, him.   

The letter writing scam has worked...for now.  I think this is going to backfire ultimately.  Ericsen, the ADA, is not going to be a pushover and the show left a trail of indicators suggesting that the plot will be discovered.   Just a question of whether or not the show wants to go down that path.

The Huell scam was a fraud in many ways as outlined by Jimmy. Jimmy knows that one has to know when to walk away and know when to run.

A zealous and unfair prosecutor is a good plot line through literary and screen history.

Good episode.   I finally watched last night.  Surprised the guy who was kicked fro the skin bar wasn't buried on site.    I was also very surprised that during that convo MIke had he actually mentioned the town, I didn't think they knew where they were, and I didn't  think they would take the construction guys to a skin bar that was actually in town, figured they would go 3 hours away or something.   Mike is smarter than that.  

59 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Good episode.   I finally watched last night.  Surprised the guy who was kicked fro the skin bar wasn't buried on site.    I was also very surprised that during that convo MIke had he actually mentioned the town, I didn't think they knew where they were, and I didn't  think they would take the construction guys to a skin bar that was actually in town, figured they would go 3 hours away or something.   Mike is smarter than that.  

there are a few other Germans on the project besides Kai and Werner, Kai is a very valuable part of the next phase of the project, he can't just disappear like that

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

there are a few other Germans on the project besides Kai and Werner, Kai is a very valuable part of the next phase of the project, he can't just disappear like that

I had no idea, never watched BB but we're planning to start very soon.   

14 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I had no idea, never watched BB but we're planning to start very soon.   

they have stated Kai is an excellent demolition man and explicit details mentioned in recent episodes are right up his alley

maybe a Wile E Coyote accident with Acme Brand Dynamite is coming up?

BB started to get like Oz where 3 gory deaths every episode didn't seem to phase anyone in quiet ABQ or a max-security prison

On 9/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, row_33 said:

and Gus is fine with Salamancas taking over the storefront on his behalf?

That wasn't a Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant - I believe it was the same Taqueria where Tuco used to receive his collections along with Nacho; the same place where Mike conned Tuco into beating the crap out of him in front of the police.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Azalin said:

That wasn't a Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant - I believe it was the same Taqueria where Tuco used to receive his collections along with Nacho; the same place where Mike conned Tuco into beating the crap out of him in front of the police.

Yup, same place, but Tuco is out of commission (for now) and Gus stepped in to temporarily help Salamanca ops while Hector was also OOC??  His agenda hidden to all but us and himself?

we can assume Hector is out and about wheeling and belling and the Salamanca's are back in power?

makes it a bit tougher to unravel because they were able to invent Lalo who was never mentioned except briefly, nor had any role in BB despite his apparent importance for the next 5 years before BB starts.  (like Tony's cousin Tony B who was never mentioned at all in 4 seasons of the Sopranos despite such ad hoc importance for Season 5...)

Edited by row_33

The scene in the meth lab with Gus talking to Mike.  Mike is giving him the updates on the construction project and discussing the big rock blocking the elevator shaft area, etc.  

Gus is looking for assurance that Werner won't talk about the project again in the future and Mike gives it to him.  Gus wants Mike's personal opinion of the situation and whether or not Werner is likely to talk.  

There is no need for that scene to exist if Gus is planning to kill the Germans and/or Werner as a matter of course. 

Doesn't mean Werner won't end up dead, but I don't think that's part of the plan.

As I said before, I think Werner might very well end up dead b/c the show has spent time on him and he is a likable guy.

But Gus is not planning to eliminate the entire construction crew at this time.  

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They have an actual website up for the church from the last episode?

Yes.  These guys do stuff like that only b/c they know their viewers will follow up with websites, phone numbers, etc.

The church website links up with a real charity for a homeless shelter I believe.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I dont think they have spent much time with the lab construction, and I think something is going to happen and it is going to end up playing a big part leading forward with Mike and Gus. There is a good chance that some of the Germans end up dead bu the end because of what they have done and not following strict orders, but the call will come from Gus and maybe met with some pushback from Mike who may try and persuade him not to.

As for the letter writing scam, that DA doesnt seem like someone who is going to just sit back on this and take the loss in this case. I wonder if she stays suspicious of it and continues to poke and prod and figures out it was a scam then goes after Kim, maybe costing kim her job with the law firm or her licence because of it which leads to a split with Jimmy? I still think she moves back home after splitting with Jimmy, and the reason he goes to the Cinnabon where he does is to find Kim and try to get back together

19 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They have an actual website up for the church from the last episode?

http://www.freewill-baptistchurch.com/

if nobody else has put it up here

[Freewill's call Communion the Lord's Supper though.....]

When I had to leave for my Papaw's funeral, Huell watched my cats. He fed them and remembered to give them their medication. Oscar and Felix have sensitive stomachs and needed lots of love. Now every time he visits, they jump right on his lap." - Pauline B.

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont think they have spent much time with the lab construction, and I think something is going to happen and it is going to end up playing a big part leading forward with Mike and Gus. There is a good chance that some of the Germans end up dead bu the end because of what they have done and not following strict orders, but the call will come from Gus and maybe met with some pushback from Mike who may try and persuade him not to.

As for the letter writing scam, that DA doesnt seem like someone who is going to just sit back on this and take the loss in this case. I wonder if she stays suspicious of it and continues to poke and prod and figures out it was a scam then goes after Kim, maybe costing kim her job with the law firm or her licence because of it which leads to a split with Jimmy? I still think she moves back home after splitting with Jimmy, and the reason he goes to the Cinnabon where he does is to find Kim and try to get back together

That DA will have a serious hate on for Kim for many reasons,  especially if she finds out Jimmy was that disbarred lowlife scumbag witness for Huell

Edited by row_33

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes.  These guys do stuff like that only b/c they know their viewers will follow up with websites, phone numbers, etc.

The church website links up with a real charity for a homeless shelter I believe.

Lol, that's cool, I saw that last week the phone number on Jimmy's card was supposed to work too.

And yeah, I dont think Gus is ready to kill any of the Germans yet, but I think something will happen causing him to give an order to Mike to kill Werner or the others. They have it set up that he will die, talking about his wife, being close to Mike, protecting and helping his workers. I could see Mike not wanting to kill him, and possibly taking him out to do it but letting him get away

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

http://www.freewill-baptistchurch.com/

if nobody else has put it up here

[Freewill's call Communion the Lord's Supper though.....]

When I had to leave for my Papaw's funeral, Huell watched my cats. He fed them and remembered to give them their medication. Oscar and Felix have sensitive stomachs and needed lots of love. Now every time he visits, they jump right on his lap." - Pauline B.

That DA will have a serious hate on for Kim for many reasons,  especially if she finds out Jimmy was that disbarred lowlife scumbag witness for Huell

I figured she already knew it was Jimmy, but maybe not that they were in a relationship? You would think it would be in the police report, unless the officer had him down as Saul, buy Saul is not a disbarred attorney at the moment?

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Lol, that's cool, I saw that last week the phone number on Jimmy's card was supposed to work too.

And yeah, I dont think Gus is ready to kill any of the Germans yet, but I think something will happen causing him to give an order to Mike to kill Werner or the others. They have it set up that he will die, talking about his wife, being close to Mike, protecting and helping his workers. I could see Mike not wanting to kill him, and possibly taking him out to do it but letting him get away

I figured she already knew it was Jimmy, but maybe not that they were in a relationship? You would think it would be in the police report, unless the officer had him down as Saul, buy Saul is not a disbarred attorney at the moment?

Jimmy was suspended, not disbarred, i think that's a big diff, not sure, a lawyer wouldn't make that mistake except in a spiteful rant?  could be wrong...

they made Werner human and likeable, useful when his competence may be coming into question for failing to deliver on time. besides Kai the rest are just drones to go home or be killed off with no fuss or muss.

35 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Jimmy was suspended, not disbarred, i think that's a big diff, not sure, a lawyer wouldn't make that mistake except in a spiteful rant?  could be wrong...

they made Werner human and likeable, useful when his competence may be coming into question for failing to deliver on time. besides Kai the rest are just drones to go home or be killed off with no fuss or muss.

1. Make Werner likeable

2. Have Gus order his death

Boom, even more to establish how cold and business-like Gus is.

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

1. Make Werner likeable

Of course this is after Werner finishes the job after doing a bunch of things to save it and get it done, and Gus just coldly has him killed just because he didnt have it done as promised originally.....l

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

True, theres a difference, unless it was some sort of slip up and the term was used regarding to his suspension, although for a show that's very big on details I find it doubtful.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

1. Make Werner likeable

Make Werner likable

Make Kai a d*ck

Make both screw up

Make Kai screw up big again

Make Werner try to cover to Kai

Make Gus make Mike make Werner go away

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I didn't want to start a totally new thread but did anyone catch Mr Inbetween on FX2?    I'm not an Aussie some sometimes I didn't catch all the dialogue but it was a pretty decent show.    

thanks, something I'll look out for.

I'm convinced Brit and Aussie shows deliberately jumble speech so that it befuddles even the greatest closed caption analysts.

20 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Make Werner likable

Make Kai a d*ck

Make both screw up

Make Kai screw up big again

Make Werner try to cover to Kai

Make Gus make Mike make Werner go away

The entire point of developing Werner's character and his relationship with Mike is to ultimately further develop Mike's character by showing us another side to Mike.

Mike has always placed a personal moral code above being a simple criminal.  Mike is willing to break the law or bend rules if it doesn't negatively impact good people.  Something is going to happen whereby Mike must choose between going full evil (perhaps killing Werner) and being a good or fair person.

One way the show might play it: have Werner make another misstep that only Mike knows about or discovers; Mike will have to decide if it gets reported to Gus or not, knowing that reporting it probably means Werner dies.

Mike will have to weigh blowing the whistle on Werner, the all around good dude who likely doesn't deserve to die, against his loyalty to his boss, Gus, and commitment to the efficient implementation of the construction project in general. 

Mike's character will be tested in this way and it will involve Werner.

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I could see it more as something happens, Mike is told to take care of Werner, but while doing so, Werner is let go by Mike who tells Gus it's taken care of. Gus knows something is up and it helps him keep control over Mike as his guy...

Interesting theory; could easily play out that way.

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 10:27 AM, apuszczalowski said:

He used the name previously for his commercial production company when he was trying to sell off his ad time he had bought for his own law practice and they wouldn't refund his money or stop playing the commercials without something else to fill the ad space (he would get in more trouble of his ads ran while he was suspended)

It appears he used the name again (they showed earlier in the episode him opening a box of business cards with the name Saul Goodman on them) for the phone business and its seems it's the name he uses for his shadier dealings instead of his real name.

I was just thinking, when Kim talked to the attorney in the courtroom about lessening the punishment against the guy, she knew that Jimmy was the guy selling the phones and who he was. Could this come back and hurt Jimmy McGill the lawyer in getting his licence back? The guy he had to report to about what he has been doing while suspended did ask him if he has been associated with any known felons, and it was known that the guy who hit the cop was previously arrested 3 years before. Wonder if he ends up in trouble now because of this?

I can definitely see Kim bei g the one that Saul was referring to with his assistant I  the one future scene when they were destroying documents in his office. It seems like she is trying to distance herself from him now, but always seems to feel enough for him that she will help him out when he is in need. I could see her leaving and telling him she cant be with him anymore, but if he is ever in trouble or needs help, to give her a call and she will be there.

That's plausible.  But why would he have Francesca tell Kim that Jimmy sent her when she'd worked for Kim for close to a year before?  Does anybody forget their 1st hire after going out on their own?

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's plausible.  But why would he have Francesca tell Kim that Jimmy sent her when she'd worked for Kim for close to a year before?  Does anybody forget their 1st hire after going out on their own?

An excellent point.

Maybe the problems at HHM draws Hamlin into Jimmy's orbit

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:47 AM, row_33 said:

Yup, same place, but Tuco is out of commission (for now) and Gus stepped in to temporarily help Salamanca ops while Hector was also OOC??  His agenda hidden to all but us and himself?

we can assume Hector is out and about wheeling and belling and the Salamanca's are back in power?

makes it a bit tougher to unravel because they were able to invent Lalo who was never mentioned except briefly, nor had any role in BB despite his apparent importance for the next 5 years before BB starts.  (like Tony's cousin Tony B who was never mentioned at all in 4 seasons of the Sopranos despite such ad hoc importance for Season 5...)

The big boss (zoning on his name right now) said that Salamanca territory would remain Salamanca territory when he told Nacho to run stuff in Hector's absence.  And the Salamanca's still have an Albuquerque presence in BB.

Lalo didn't get called into Albuquerque until after Nacho got hijacked.  His coming in would help explain how Fring was unable to completely take over the Salamanca territory after co-opting Nacho & keeping Hector in an incapacitated state.

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

An excellent point.

Maybe the problems at HHM draws Hamlin into Jimmy's orbit

That was what I am wondering as well.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Lalo didn't get called into Albuquerque until after Nacho got hijacked.  His coming in would help explain how Fring was unable to completely take over the Salamanca territory after co-opting Nacho & keeping Hector in an incapacitated state.

Except Nacho's staged hijacking occurred 10 months ago.  Remember there was a bit of a fast forward in the prior week's episode?

My guess is now that Hector can communicate he wants a blood Salamanca running the operation rather than some hired muscle

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Except Nacho's staged hijacking occurred 10 months ago. Remember there was a bit of a fast forward in the prior week's episode?

My guess is now that Hector can communicate he wants a blood Salamanca running the operation rather than some hired muscle

Good point.

But my comment about Lalo was in response to Row's about how Lalo's presence makes it tougher to get the framework set at the beginning of BB.  I believe it helps explain how Salamanca's still have a presence, though one significantly smaller that what Gus' has become.  Maybe I misinterpreted Row's comment.  If so, nevermind.

28 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Except Nacho's staged hijacking occurred 10 months ago.  Remember there was a bit of a fast forward in the prior week's episode?

They just made up the Lalo character to stretch things out, would be the best if Bob O adlibbed his name or got it wrong when he mentioned it in BB

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

They just made up the Lalo character to stretch things out, would be the best if Bob O adlibbed his name or got it wrong when he mentioned it in BB

Lalo was referenced in Breaking Bad.  I posted the clip on page 12.  A few weeks ago I posted the same clip after reading a rumor about the introduction of the Lalo character

On 9/26/2018 at 6:13 AM, /dev/null said:

Lalo didn't send you?  (25 seconds into the clip)

47 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Lalo was referenced in Breaking Bad.  I posted the clip on page 12.  A few weeks ago I posted the same clip after reading a rumor about the introduction of the Lalo character

Yes, that’s what I meant all the times I’ve discussed it already on here

prequels are fun, invent a soul mate for Saul and all kinds of people to stretch it out

No half measures, Mike

best crazed drive up a parking garage since the original Get Carter

Jimmy has no answer for what the law meant to him?????  Shoulda channeled Chuck for that one and then named Chuck as his inspiration 

Gillifan back as director for this episode, lots of BB-like scenes and perspectives 

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

No half measures, Mike

best crazed drive up a parking garage since the original Get Carter

Jimmy has no answer for what the law meant to him?????  Shoulda channeled Chuck for that one and then named Chuck as his inspiration 

Gillifan back as director for this episode, lots of BB-like scenes and perspectives 

"Go Land Crabs!"

Best onscreen couples angry exchange since Tony and Carmela

From the opening a few back he only went into the law library and career because of jealousy of Chuck and wanting to impress the mailroom/ law student smart cutie Kim