Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

12 minutes ago, eball said:

The beginning scene is a scene we never saw from BB -- Jimmy/Saul is calling the "cleaner" to be whisked away to a new life/identity.

Thanks for that.  See now I wonder if the conversation he had with the guy he sold a bunch of phones to comes back into play, he mentioned cash business where you don't report money to the IRS then at the beginning he's looking for a bowling ball full of wrapped rolls of cash and skips town.  

Where did he get all that and was it his office or someone elses?   Crazy beginning 

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

Thanks for that.  See now I wonder if the conversation he had with the guy he sold a bunch of phones to comes back into play, he mentioned cash business where you don't report money to the IRS then at the beginning he's looking for a bowling ball full of wrapped rolls of cash and skips town.  

Where did he get all that and was it his office or someone elses?   Crazy beginning 

It was his own law firm/office from BB.  You really need to watch that series.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I know I know.   one of these years i'll binge watch the whole thing.   

Is anyone else watching Lodge 49?  right after?  Its not a bad show, i DVR the episodes though, too many commercials. 

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I know I know.   one of these years i'll binge watch the whole thing.   

Is anyone else watching Lodge 49?  right after?  Its not a bad show, i DVR the episodes though, too many commercials. 

I watched the first two and set it to record...haven't continued on yet though.  Looks interesting, I'll give it a shot.  I'm smitten with his sister.

Edited by eball

39 minutes ago, eball said:

so someone is actually watching that didn't come over from BB?

in my readings, it was the first full-colour opening scene so far this season.

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Was that where they had the guys fly in to be picked up? I didnt pay attention to the signs at the airport in the begining

Denver services an amazing distance for business, a few times I've been scheduled to get a full day for each of getting from and to the airport on top of a full day for flight both to and from the airport.

Can someone be kind enough to refresh my memory as to why Saul ran? As I recall, the only ones who knew everything thing were Hank, Gomey, Jesse and Walt. Two wound up in the desert with holes in them, one is forced into servitude and the other has his own problems. 

Great opening scene. "Tell 'em Jimmy sent you." I wonder who that could be? 

OK:  we have seen several flash forward sequences now with Jimmy/Saul playing the role of Gene, the Cinnabon manager in Omaha, Nebraska.

Presumably he is in the witness protection program and has been given a false identity and new life where no one will know him.

It just sort of hit me: when Better Call Saul runs its course, I think we are going to get a 3rd series, about Gene in Omaha.  He'll be surrounded by new people, new problems, and perhaps be slowly pulled back into his old hustling ways.

At least I hope so!  I just don't want the whole thing, starting with BB, to end.

Any thoughts on that?

17 minutes ago, gomper said:

Can someone be kind enough to refresh my memory as to why Saul ran? As I recall, the only ones who knew everything thing were Hank, Gomey, Jesse and Walt. Two wound up in the desert with holes in them, one is forced into servitude and the other has his own problems. 

1st sentence:  Saul has a lot of woes, one time he was kidnapped and dragged out to the desert by Walt and Jesse, and blames the situation on Ignatio (Nacho??) at the very least they used this single line to set up a BCS story plot for seasons on end...

2nd sentence:  another lawyer retained by Jimmy, he must have someone as counsel to mop up for him?

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

1st sentence:  Saul has a lot of woes, one time he was kidnapped and dragged out to the desert by Walt and Jesse, and blames the situation on Ignatio (Nacho??) at the very least they used this single line to set up a BCS story plot for seasons on end...

2nd sentence:  another lawyer retained by Jimmy, he must have someone as counsel to mop up for him?

I guess my question is was Saul in serious legal trouble or were things just too hot and his paranoia got the best of him. If that's the case, then "Gene" can come out of hiding. 

Maybe the show ends next season with his November 12th 3pm call and finding out Walt is dead and the heat has subsided. Then he returns to ABQ. Who knows with these writers. That's what makes both these shows so great. 

19 minutes ago, gomper said:

I guess my question is was Saul in serious legal trouble or were things just too hot and his paranoia got the best of him. If that's the case, then "Gene" can come out of hiding. 

Maybe the show ends next season with his November 12th 3pm call and finding out Walt is dead and the heat has subsided. Then he returns to ABQ. Who knows with these writers. That's what makes both these shows so great. 

the writers have had to carve new people and background into BCS due to the much deserved success of both shows.

i took the last episode of BB to be Walt's dream of getting out of his jam, while he was finally trapped in the cold and died or was captured...

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

so someone is actually watching that didn't come over from BB?

in my readings, it was the first full-colour opening scene so far this season.

I own the entire series BB but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it yet too. I know things about the show and understand things that are going on in Saul though. 

There is a heated Jerry Sullivan thread going right now in TSW section.

There's a good podcast referenced there with an interview with Jerry.

At the end of that podcast, the interviewer asks a series of questions, one of which is what is Jerry's favorite TV show.

Jerry answers, "Right now?  There are so many.......Better Call Saul."

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Has Jonathan Banks received or been nominated for an Emmy for playing Mike? If not it's long overdue. 

Year Award Category Work Result
2013 Critics' Choice Television Awards Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Breaking Bad Nominated
2015 Critics' Choice Television Awards Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Better Call Saul Won
2015 Primetime Emmy Award Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Better Call Saul Nominated
2016 Primetime Emmy Award Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Better Call Saul Nominated
2017 Primetime Emmy Award Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Better Call Saul Nominated
1989 Primetime Emmy Awards Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Wiseguy Nominated
2013 Primetime Emmy Awards Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Breaking Bad Nominated
2016 Satellite Awards Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film Better Call Saul Nominated
2017 Satellite Awards Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film Better Call Saul Nominated
2013 Saturn Awards Best Supporting Actor on Television Breaking Bad Won
2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series Breaking Bad Nominated
2013 Screen Actors Guild Awards Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series Breaking Bad Nominated
1990 Viewers for Quality Television Best Supporting Actor in a Quality Drama Series Wiseguy Nominated

13 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Has Jonathan Banks received or been nominated for an Emmy for playing Mike? If not it's long overdue. 

I still give the edge to the performance of Gustavo Fring, with all due respect to Mike's excellent character, of course both established by being in the presence of Mr. Cranston.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:45 AM, gomper said:

Skylar.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, apuszczalowski said:

The scene in the bathroom was also good showing how the 2 of them are dealing with Chucks death. Howard is a mess because he believes it was him trying to push Chuck out that caused Chuck to start the fire, and yet Jimmy is feeling great knowing what he has done to Chuck and that he can push the blame off to someone else in his own mind. I also feel that recently we have seen Jimmy subtly going back and forth between wanting to be good (Jimmy) and going back to bad (Saul). I think that the beat down by the teens was pushing him to think that maybe he was getting too old to be a con like he was before and was wanting to try and stay Jimmy. But after seeing Howard and how much of a mess he was even with help from a therapist, it pushed him to think therapy isnt going to help and he decides to keep doing what he has been doing.

I wonder if Howard is such a mess because he is in financial straights over paying Chuck to leave HHM.  He did say the money was his personal funds.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Fadingpain said:

OK:  we have seen several flash forward sequences now with Jimmy/Saul playing the role of Gene, the Cinnabon manager in Omaha, Nebraska.

Presumably he is in the witness protection program and has been given a false identity and new life where no one will know him.

It just sort of hit me: when Better Call Saul runs its course, I think we are going to get a 3rd series, about Gene in Omaha.  He'll be surrounded by new people, new problems, and perhaps be slowly pulled back into his old hustling ways.

At least I hope so!  I just don't want the whole thing, starting with BB, to end.

Any thoughts on that?

Jimmy is in his own witness protection program, the one the vacuum cleaner guy got him in.

As far as another spinoff, believe there is discussion of another show.  Heard it would be Gus?  Don't remember where I heard it, believe it was on one of the extra's on AMC. 

Excellent show, never enough Huell

Those boys should have taken the deal....

a total side note, I usually watch shows with closed caption and both the aquarium bubbling at Kim and Jimmy’s, and Hector’s life support system noises were displayed constantly through the two scenes on CC.

some kind of irony to have Germans locked in a work camp?

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Excellent show, never enough Huell

Those boys should have taken the deal....

a total side note, I usually watch shows with closed caption and both the aquarium bubbling at Kim and Jimmy’s, and Hector’s life support system noises were displayed constantly through the two scenes on CC.

some kind of irony to have Germans locked in a work camp?

The lengths Gus is going to in order to secretly build the underground meth lab are kind of absurd.  I realize this is a work of fiction and they are trying to tell an interesting story, but why in the world wouldn't he simply buy a new facility (with no one working there yet), install the meth lab under it, and then move the existing business operation from the current location to that location equipped with the meth lab? 

Not surprised Kim hustled her new gig at the law firm.  She is preparing to move on from Jimmy professionally and privately too.  When she dumps him, he'll go over the edge.  At least that is my theory.

I was reminded again in this episode that Kim and Jimmy do not have a very convincing romantic relationship.  They are almost stiff and formal around each other, like on a second date.  They don't interact with each other as  a couple living together would.

I don't fully understand why they are taking that tack with the show.

Good points. The show is sort of science fiction and they have to create completely new story lines to expand another two seasons.

I see Jimmy and Kim marriages all the time in accounting. Both are geeky/dorky/nerdy and never accomplished anything at all in life before their professional designations, and their first romantic experience is with one just like them in the same job. 

Gus and Mike are doing a small scale Manhattan Project 2.0 and it’s a good thing Walt is also in tiny ABQ to come along at the right moment and nobody in tiny ABQ will have a clue about any of this going on.

Saul in the opening of the last episode  provides orders to his assistant, which sounded to me like he has his own legal counsel.....  which could be the brilliant criminal lawyer Kim????

That would be a nice little twist.  Everyone things she's either dead or there was some nasty breakup, but they always have a way of pulling something out of left field.  I suppose another option for secret legal counsel could be Howard.  Money issues could lead him down a different path.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

That would be a nice little twist.  Everyone things she's either dead or there was some nasty breakup, but they always have a way of pulling something out of left field.  I suppose another option for secret legal counsel could be Howard.  Money issues could lead him down a different path.

I wonder what's going to happen with him now. Later on do we find out that the little office interaction between Howard and Jimmy lit a fire under him?

As for Gus and the location, using a newer facility without an established business in it may cause some people to get curious what is going on. In an established business, hearing noises or other things may not cause people to bat an eye at what's going on.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I wonder what's going to happen with him now. Later on do we find out that the little office interaction between Howard and Jimmy lit a fire under him?

As for Gus and the location, using a newer facility without an established business in it may cause some people to get curious what is going on. In an established business, hearing noises or other things may not cause people to bat an eye at what's going on.

helps stretch out an ad hoc need to extend more episodes.

good

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There would be building inspections at a new location.  Sure, you could say that the basement is intended for something else, but people would know it's there.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

There would be building inspections at a new location.  Sure, you could say that the basement is intended for something else, but people would know it's there.

Every person on the show lives on an island with a bit of human interaction, there is barely anybody else existing until they are drawn in

2 hours ago, shrader said:

There aren't any building inspections at the old location, there wouldn't be any (for the basement) in the new location either.  That could be covered up by legitimate construction work on the new facility and the inspectors aren't there all the time through all phases of construction anyway.  

On the side you get the basement in there, or make it a secret above ground room that wouldn't be obviously noticed. 

My point is that there is no way a super wealthy, perfectionist drug lord goes about this problem in this way.  It's just not realistic.  But it does make for fun watching.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

There aren't any building inspections at the old location, there wouldn't be any (for the basement) in the new location either.  That could be covered up by legitimate construction work on the new facility and the inspectors aren't there all the time through all phases of construction anyway.  

On the side you get the basement in there, or make it a secret above ground room that wouldn't be obviously noticed. 

My point is that there is no way a super wealthy, perfectionist drug lord goes about this problem in this way.  It's just not realistic.  But it does make for fun watching.

With a prequel show like this that was probably not planned on before the inception of BB, there will be plot holes.  In BB, the lab existed.  Now they have to explain the obvious things like I-beams and dirt removal that were taken for granted.

They have done a great job so far explaining how things came to be.  Will be very interesting as we move forward and get closer to the the beginning of BB and how they tie the two shoes together.  I figure it is may be a year before the timelines collide based on the French guys estimate,ate of completion time for the lab.

Also, If Howard is having money issues, is that because the Sandpiper lawsuit falls through?  Don’t know Jimmy is a millionaire in BB.  Maybe that is what Howard stopped just short of telling him in the bathroom, and maybe that’s part of the making of Saul?

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

I figure it is may be a year before the timelines collide based on the French guys estimate,ate of completion time for the lab.

I sensed some foreshadowing in the conversation between Jimmy and Kim when Jimmy said alot can happen in 10 months

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

There would be inspections for a basement if they were building a new facility legally with permits

There would be inspectors coming by the site and questions asked when things are noticed. They also could open themselves up for surprise drop by inspections from not only building inspectors but other labour/safety inspectors on a large site. Inside an existing warehouse building that has already been completed and built, there wouldnt be many sniffing around, or questioning noise or other things because they would most likely assume its part of the business as usual going on there. 

And you would be surprised what some of these drug kingpins do for their business, something part of a huge operation such as Gus's, this wouldn't be a surprise to see someone go to these extremes.

6 hours ago, shrader said:

I would definitly question an underground bunker facility being built underneath a typical Warehouse structure if I showed up on a site and noticed it being built, or plans were submitted for a permit to build it. plus it would then be part of a record and known to exist if it was part of the construction and part of a permit.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There would be inspections for a basement if they were building a new facility legally with permits

There would be inspectors coming by the site and questions asked when things are noticed. They also could open themselves up for surprise drop by inspections from not only building inspectors but other labour/safety inspectors on a large site. Inside an existing warehouse building that has already been completed and built, there wouldnt be many sniffing around, or questioning noise or other things because they would most likely assume its part of the business as usual going on there. 

And you would be surprised what some of these drug kingpins do for their business, something part of a huge operation such as Gus's, this wouldn't be a surprise to see someone go to these extremes.

I would definitly question an underground bunker facility being built underneath a typical Warehouse structure if I showed up on a site and noticed it being built, or plans were submitted for a permit to build it. plus it would then be part of a record and known to exist if it was part of the construction and part of a permit.

As someone that deals with criminals on a daily basis and related to others that worked Law Enfoecement at the Arizona/Mexico border, and northern border, I can tell you that you are correct. The “underground” or just things unknown to the general public is eye opening. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

As someone that deals with criminals on a daily basis and related to others that worked Law Enfoecement at the Arizona/Mexico border, and northern border, I can tell you that you are correct. The “underground” or just things unknown to the general public is eye opening. 

I have seen and dealt a little bit with the smaller side of it and seen some Pot grow houses/operations and its surprising what they do. And thats on the minor/smaller end of the drug cartel business. I have heard about and seen brand new homes in big subdivisions that get bought and used for grow houses. I can just imagine what is used and the money that is spent when it gets into the higher more money operations such as meth.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I have seen and dealt a little bit with the smaller side of it and seen some Pot grow houses/operations and its surprising what they do. And thats on the minor/smaller end of the drug cartel business. I have heard about and seen brand new homes in big subdivisions that get bought and used for grow houses. I can just imagine what is used and the money that is spent when it gets into the higher more money operations such as meth.

Exactly 

LOL at you guys debating the "reality" of the depiction of building Gus' meth lab.  The plot line serves multiple purposes for this fictional show -- emphasizing the absolute secrecy Gus requires from the authorities and the Cartel, and explaining how the relationship between Gus and Mike we saw in BB was built/developed.

That was a really good episode on many levels.  Always nice to see a Chuck cameo as well.

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Mile will punish Kai by making him marry his resentful daughter-in-law

That would be way out of character for Mike.  He wouldn't issue some cruel or vindictive punishment like hooking him up with his resentful daughter in-law.  Mike would just double tap him and move on

I really need to buy the box set of BB and watch it lol.   So much going on here that I have no clue of.   But if we're speaking chronologically, I guess I'm watching it as it unfolds if I just watch BB after this show ends it will pick right up where this left off. 

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

That would be way out of character for Mike.  He wouldn't issue some cruel or vindictive punishment like hooking him up with his resentful daughter in-law.  Mike would just double tap him and move on

True, Gus would be more likely to torture Kai by making him marry Mike’s daughter-in-kaw

Kai’s spirit will be broken , just like the leg of that coati that ate the fruit of the tree

He will add Kai to his collection along with crippled little rata Hector and his bell. The bell that does a Christopher Pike-ish yes/no and also detonates explosives.

Edited by row_33