Favorite Mexican dish:

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Dude, yes.

My favorite local place has something called a pina Loca.

Highly recommended 348s.jpg

Name and town please.

My favorite local place is Taqueria Moroleon in Avondale, PA. Just across the DE border on Rt. 41.  Lots of Mexicans in the area due to the local mushroom industry so there is some really good food.

16 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Name and town please.

My favorite local place is Taqueria Moroleon in Avondale, PA. Just across the DE border on Rt. 41.  Lots of Mexicans in the area due to the local mushroom industry so there is some really good food.

I have a few places I go to.

I'll PM you a list

My beef with Mexican food ...

I don't like sour cream, guacamole and crappy yellow cheese. 

Taco's, Fajitas are usually my staple go to 

Oh and FWIW ..  

True Mexican Mexican and American Mexican  ---  the two are not the same.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh and FWIW ..  

If you go to a place owned by, and run by mexicans, there's a reasonable expectation that the food is going to be mexican. We're not talking taco bell here.

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

If you go to a place owned by, and run by mexicans, there's a reasonable expectation that the food is going to be mexican. We're not talking taco bell here.

still.  I was working in Mexico city for a month and the food is different.

and when you asked for a Corona not a lime in sight.  

friggen yuppies putting fruit in a beer.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

still.  I was working in Mexico city for a month and the food is different.

and when you asked for a Corona not a lime in sight.  

friggen yuppies putting fruit in a beer.  

People do that because it tastes like donkey.

Worst beer ever :lol:

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh and FWIW ..  

What you are describing is Tex Mex.  You are unlikely to find sour cream and yellow cheese in Mexico.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

I thought molcajete was Spanish for mortar and pestle.   Are you referring to something specific?

and per google and Wiki 

you would be correct 

A molcajete is a stone tool, the traditional Mexican version of the mortar and pestle, similar to the South American batan, used for grinding various food product

Most "Mexican" restaurants in the states are serving you poor versions of Tex Mex.  I'll take real Mexican over Tex Mex all day.  Unless you're in Texas the Tex Mex is highly likely to suck.  I never understood the appeal of fajita until I moved to Houston and tried some of the original Tex Mex spots.  I still prefer moles, cochinita pibil, ceviches, and street tacos but I see why queso, fajita, and gringo tacos are popular. 

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Most "Mexican" restaurants in the states are serving you poor versions of Tex Mex.  I'll take real Mexican over Tex Mex all day.  Unless you're in Texas the Tex Mex is highly likely to suck.  I never understood the appeal of fajita until I moved to Houston and tried some of the original Tex Mex spots.  I still prefer moles, cochinita pibil, ceviches, and street tacos but I see why queso, fajita, and gringo tacos are popular. 

Not here... It's little Mexico where I live. Nice if you know Spanish.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If that's the case, then most people don't live in an area with a large mexican/central american population. Because if you have a sizeable one, and you're willing to try places, you can find some REALLY good ****.

Here, we are the minority.

EDIT: "We" = my family and I, we are white, European descendants.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here, we are the minority.

Depending on the town, it's the same here. One small town (15000 or so people) has at least 4-5 plcaes (2 of them being food trucks) that serve nothing that's anything like what's being described above. If I want central american food, I can drive to a pupuseria about 20 minutes away. All kinds of Honduran food there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Depending on the town, it's the same here. One small town (15000 or so people) has at least 4-5 plcaes (2 of them being food trucks) that serve nothing that's anything like what's being described above. If I want central american food, I can drive to a pupuseria about 20 minutes away. All kinds of Honduran food there.

Like you said, can find amazing places.  My sister in law from Monterrey likes coming here... The supermarkets, local places... 

Been into the Topo Chico mineral lately... They have been really pushing it in this area.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Like you said, can find amazing places.  My sister in law from Monterrey likes coming here... The supermarkets, local places... 

Been into the Topo Chico mineral lately... They have been really pushing it in this area.

Ever had a pupusa?

If not, your life is void.

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Ever had a pupusa?

If not, your life is void.

No.  But just looked it up.  Kinda gordita esque... Or like a Salvadorian version of Upper Michigan/Cornish pasty/pastie  El Salvadore's take on the HotPocket®???

They look awesome.

EDIT:  I say HotPocket® in an endearing way!  DING! Ready... ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  But just looked it up.  Kinda gordita esque... Or like an El Salvadorian version of Upper Michigan/Cornish pasty/pastie  El Salvadore's take on the hotpocket???

They look awesome#

They are awesome.

And yes, you're right, salvadorean.