Traveling by Train

Foxx

the fast food combo thread made me wonder about this....

in the later third of the month, i will be traveling across the country from Roch to Seattle, WA. it really is a pretty good deal. the trip will take roughly 69 hours and costs roughly $200 each way. a leisurely trip where i can sleep when i want, not have to worry about watching the road (not to mention the cost of gas) nor falling out of the sky. will get to see the countryside of this great nation, really looking forward to seeing the Tetons.

questions are, has anyone done this before? what is the food like? will i be able to sleep upright in a reserved coach seat, does it recline? they have showers so that shouldn't be a problem. perhaps there is something that i may have overlooked or not thought of?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. very much looking forward to it.

Edited by Foxx

I’ve never done it, but I have to chime in and say that sounds absolutely fantastic! I hope it’s as good for you as I imagine. I’d like to try it, but the wife gets motion sickness, so it might be better to try that by myself. I look forward to reports from those with experience. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve never done it, but I have to chime in and say that sounds absolutely fantastic! I hope it’s as good for you as I imagine. I’d like to try it, but the wife gets motion sickness, so it might be better to try that by myself. I look forward to reports from those with experience. 

yeah, i couldn't get the wife to go. she is much happier in her craft room. ah well...

Just now, Foxx said:

yeah, i couldn't get the wife to go. she is much happier in her craft room. ah well...

What kinda crafter hates trains?

I tell this to my wife: "Let's take a train ride across country, through Tetons, she'd be packing the Steve Goodman/Arlo Guthrie albums before I could finish talking."

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

69 hours... I stopped right there... LoL...

Just kidding.  Sounds gr8, just pray you don't get douchebag set of passengers along for the ride.

That's only $2.89/hour... Not bad!  LoL...?

i thought 69 hours was great time for traveling by land.

yeah, i will be hooking up up with a girl from Toronto here in Roch to start the trip and having another friend step on in LaCrosse WI. should be a rocking time, about 20 days in toto.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ummm, is there a “bar car”? 

there's gotta be,  right?

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What kinda crafter hates trains?

I tell this to my wife: "Let's take a train ride across country, through Tetons, she'd be packing the Steve Goodman/Arlo Guthrie albums before I could finish talking."

you'd have to understand my wife. hell, i don't understand her to this day. i know her pretty well, but understand her..... nfw!

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Foxx said:

i thought 69 hours was great time for traveling by land.

yeah, i will be hooking up up with a girl from Toronto here in Roch to start the trip and having another friend step on in LaCrosse WI. should be a rocking time, about 20 days in toto.

May suck around the Amtrak bridge here on the Calumet River... Picked up my Mother In law one time on the Lakeshore Ltm.  She called, gonna be 2 hours early, she was 3 hours late... So much congestion here, freight heading into Chicago... Bridges go up, etc... 

Hope you luck out, because it will feel like 69 hours waiting for that bridge!

?

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve done Utica to Sanford, FL.  We had a small sleeper compartment and a meal plan, so it wasn’t quite like you describe.  Fun, but harder to sleep than I thought. The train doesn’t really go in a constant rhythm and it’s pretty loud.  I hope you report back because I’m truly curious about how it goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

May suck around the Amtrak bridge here on the Calumet River... Picked up my Mother In law one time on the Lakeshore Ltm.  She called, gonna be 2 hours early, she was 3 hours late... So much congestion here, freight heading into Chicago... Bridges go up, etc... 

Hope you luck out, because it will feel like 69 hours waiting for that bridge!

?

yep, taking the Lake Shore Limited from here to Chicago for a connect to the Empire Builder out to Seattle.  what, a 6 1/2 hour layover so im sure the delay is factored in. good to know though, thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve done Utica to Sanford, FL.  We had a small sleeper compartment and a meal plan, so it wasn’t quite like you describe.  Fun, but harder to sleep than I thought. The train doesn’t really go in a constant rhythm and it’s pretty loud.  I hope you report back because I’m truly curious about how it goes. 

Same here... Report back Foxx.

I hear boats bellaching all the time to the bridges here on South Side.  Everything has to go around Lake Michigan, so flat that trains stay grade and there has to be drawbridges... Quite a bottleneck into Chicago.

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

thanks! i'll report, no problem. 

i am a notoriously bad sleeper so i don't know that i'll notice much difference. i thought about the sleeping car but, i couldn't justify the enormous cost difference. i figured if i could be slightly inconvienced on the travel, my time at the beach house would be that much richer.

:) 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Same here... Report back Foxx.

I hear boats bellaching all the time to the bridges here on South Side.  Everything has to go around Lake Michigan, so flat that trains stay grade and there has to be drawbridges... Quite a bottleneck into Chicago.

i'll try and post pictures, if they are small enough. i'll only have my phone so no fancy computer work to resize them is gonna happen unfortunately.

Edited by Foxx

I took a 40 hour train trip when I moved to Denver in 96.  No exaggeration I was friggin delirious by the time we pulled in to Union Station.  Could not sleep in the upright seats to save my life so that probably had a lot to do with it.  I don't remember seeing any train tracks near the Tetons so not sure how much you will see?  The eastern (Wyoming) side is the most picturesque... a mile of vertical rise with no foothills

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i am a notoriously bad sleeper so i don't know that i'll notice much difference. i thought about the sleeping car but, i couldn't justify the enormous cost difference. i figured if i could be slightly inconvienced on the travel, my time at the beach house would be that much richer.

Does Empire Builder have a dome car through Tetons... Pack your camera!

Only done Syracuse to NYC. One thing I did not know is if you choose to use the dining car, you may be seated with people not in your group. Not bad if you’re outgoing, but if you’re an introvert.....

3 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I took a 40 hour train trip when I moved to Denver in 96.  No exaggeration I was friggin delirious by the time we pulled in to Union Station.  Could not sleep in the upright seats to save my life so that probably had a lot to do with it.  I don't remember seeing any train tracks near the Tetons so not sure how much you will see?  The eastern (Wyoming) side is the most picturesque... a mile of vertical rise with no foothills

ups, my bad, guess i won't be seeing the Tetons afterall (don't know what i was thinking). here is the map

https://www.amtrak.com/services/contentService.iblegacy.routes.empire-builder.html

• Sad 1

Just now, Just Jack said:

Only done Syracuse to NYC. One thing I did not know is if you choose to use the dining car, you may be seated with people not in your group. Not bad if you’re outgoing, but if you’re an introvert.....

MAGA: No Snowflakes allowed anymore.  Be extrovert, like the old days!

IMHO:

We did the x-country trip 5 years ago, Seattle to Chicago (flew on the other legs of the trip).

1. Seat only? Big mistake - you'll regret it instantly. Spend the nut and get the bedroom. The bedroom is worth every penny.

2. No wifi - bring your computer and make sure you have a good data plan on the phone.

3. For most of the trip, you'll have to tape your phone to the window to get decent data service.

4. You'll be the youngest person on the train by far.

5. Wait until you try to take a dump on a moving train.

6. A seat by itself does not give you access to a shower.

7. The train runs late - REALLY late. Anywhere from 6 to 20 hours late. The freight trains have priority for the entire route.

8. The food is OK, but BYOB.

9. The seats do not have individual outlets. There are outlets on the wall but it means putting a cord over the person sitting in the window seat (or having them put it over you).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I am a notoriously bad sleeper so i don't know that i'll notice much difference. i thought about the sleeping car but, i couldn't justify the enormous cost difference. i figured if i could be slightly inconvienced on the travel, my time at the beach house would be that much richer.

i'll try and post pictures, if they are small enough. i'll only have my phone so no fancy computer work to resize them is gonna happen unfortunately.

My wife says with the sound of my snoring nobody will be able to hear the train. 

That’s bad, right? 

Did Orlando - San Antonio in 2005 with my then 5-year-old; two nights in reclining seats, but quite comfortable. We both enjoyed the trip tremendously. Through Louisiana, they had a ranger from the National Park Service in the lounge car who explained the history and nature of the area. Food in the dining car was fine, better that economy-class airline meals. I can confirm that as a party of two you are seated in the dining car with another party of two. Usually, I would have liked to avoid such a situation. However, with Daniel it was no problem; he was the darling of the old ladies on the train.

The most memorable incident (especially considering that it occurred in the Deep South): A few rows ahead of us was a young mother (white) with a 3-4 year-old child. The kid made a mess throwing chips all over the place; it looked like a pigsty. The conductor (a ~50 year-old black gentleman) handed the mother a carpet roller, and she cleaned up the mess. I have to admit that I do not know if (a) he told her to clean up the mess, or (b) she asked for the roller and he gave it to her. (a) would be funnier, but (b) seems more likely. 

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

IMHO:

We did the x-country trip 5 years ago, Seattle to Chicago (flew on the other legs of the trip).

1. Seat only? Big mistake - you'll regret it instantly. Spend the nut and get the bedroom. The bedroom is worth every penny.

2. No wifi - bring your computer and make sure you have a good data plan on the phone.

3. For most of the trip, you'll have to tape your phone to the window to get decent data service.

7. The train runs late - REALLY late. Anywhere from 6 to 20 hours late. The freight trains have priority for the entire route.

9. The seats do not have individual outlets. There are outlets on the wall but it means putting a cord over the person sitting in the window seat (or having them put it over you).

Nice breakdown!

Back in the day my father worked freight on Erie-Lackawanna RR... He always said passenger trains had priority... I guess train travel was the norm back then.

Now it is reversed... Don't know why!  On the waterways... It is still commercial passenger (on a schedule) that gets priority over commercial cargo.

You would think that they would go back to that on rail.

Probably why the Amtraks get stuck/wait in SouthChicago/NWIndiana... Freight is being pushed through that clustereff around Southern Tip of Lake Michigan.  The bellyaching up of a storm of the boats trying to get the bridges (on the VHF marine radio) gets to be annoying... Trains queued up for miles both ways.  I tell them to stop whining... It's annoying, can't clear a train and have it crash into a drink because marine interests wanna get through on a whim...

You missed that part since you flew east out of Chicago...

69 hours with only a seat as a base?  Ouch.  Never done it but think I'd need to have the private room/bed.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

So the wife's not all bad if she's signing off on that!

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Back in the day my father worked freight on Erie-Lackawanna RR... He always said passenger trains had priority... I guess train travel was the norm back then.

Now it is reversed... Don't know why!

Come on man, money talks!  Can't pause the wheels of commerce for a bunch of people paying $200 on the night train!

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Come on man, money talks!  Can't pause the wheels of commerce for a bunch of people paying $200 on the night train!

Yeah, I suppose you are very right!  But, it doesn't promote more train traffic, getting away from air travel.  You would think they would promote other forms of travel.  Air has the market.

Anyway... What is round trip Rochester to Seattle Airfare?  Can't be that expensive?  $600 bucks and you are there in 6 hours... 

69 hours is three days in a seat.  I may opt for sleeper and shower access.

43 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Traveling from Worcester to Buffalo once, I realized there is no mobile cell data along rail lines. I felt like a junkie going through withdrawl.

I wonder why that is so... Wouldn't be like the road, cell coverage overlapping?

I wonder why that is so... Wouldn't be like the road, cell coverage overlapping?

My guess is cell companies want data where cars drive more than where trains roll. More users.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, I suppose you are very right!  But, it doesn't promote more train traffic, getting away from air travel.  You would think they would promote other forms of travel.  Air has the market.

Anyway... What is round trip Rochester to Seattle Airfare?  Can't be that expensive?  $600 bucks and you are there in 6 hours... 

69 hours is three days in a seat.  I may opt for sleeper and shower access.

Exactly.  Despite the security hassles and ridiculous stories pushed in a media everytime there is some dispute between a flight attendant and some jerk passenger, air travel is efficient, effective and safe.  Because they have mastered their inventory management, the prices have stayed fairly reasonable if you put some effort into planning.

I get the appeal of rail travel if you are not in a hurry or hopping between Northeast/Mid-Atlantic cities, but otherwise it's comparing 19th century travel to modern day alternatives.  I got from SF to Cape Cod on Saturday in nine hours, including a leisurely dinner stop.  Hard to beat that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Exactly.  Despite the security hassles and ridiculous stories pushed in a media everytime there is some dispute between a flight attendant and some jerk passenger, air travel is efficient, effective and safe.  Because they have mastered their inventory management, the prices have stayed fairly reasonable if you put some effort into planning.

I get the appeal of rail travel if you are not in a hurry or hopping between Northeast/Mid-Atlantic cities, but otherwise it's comparing 19th century travel to modern day alternatives.  I got from SF to Cape Cod on Saturday in nine hours, including a leisurely dinner stop.  Hard to beat that.

Yep... But 3 days on train... I think I am still getting a sleeper!!! Think of it as a hotel room!

Then again... He's married and traveling with another chick across state lines... Gotta keep up appearances...LoL!!! Just kidding around Foxx!! There is probably something in the Mann Act dating back to when train travel was king! 

BTW... To sum up Mann Act:

Mann Act

n. a federal statute making it a crime to transport a woman across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act was intended to prevent the movement of prostitutes from one state to another or in and out of the country in the so-called "white slave" trade. However, it also applies to a male taking his under-age girlfriend to a love-nest in a neighboring state, or a female transporting an underage boy across the state line for such purposes. Maximum term is five years in a federal prison.

Boyst has probably broken it numerous times, even on the same night!

?

Yep... But 3 days on train... I think I am still getting a sleeper!!! Think of it as a hotel room!

Then again... He's married and traveling with another chick across state lines... Gotta keep up appearances...LoL!!! Just kidding around Foxx!! There is probably something in the Mann Act dating back to when train travel was king! 

BTW... To sum up Mann Act:

Mann Act

n. a federal statute making it a crime to transport a woman across state lines for "immoral" purposes. The Mann Act was intended to prevent the movement of prostitutes from one state to another or in and out of the country in the so-called "white slave" trade. However, it also applies to a male taking his under-age girlfriend to a love-nest in a neighboring state, or a female transporting an underage boy across the state line for such purposes. Maximum term is five years in a federal prison.

Boyst has probably broken it numerous times, even on the same night!

?

Foxx is the Mann!!!!    :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Foxx said:

the fast food combo thread made me wonder about this....

in the later third of the month, i will be traveling across the country from Roch to Seattle, WA. it really is a pretty good deal. the trip will take roughly 69 hours and costs roughly $200 each way. a leisurely trip where i can sleep when i want, not have to worry about watching the road (not to mention the cost of gas) nor falling out of the sky. will get to see the countryside of this great nation, really looking forward to seeing the Tetons.

questions are, has anyone done this before? what is the food like? will i be able to sleep upright in a reserved coach seat, does it recline? they have showers so that shouldn't be a problem. perhaps there is something that i may have overlooked or not thought of?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. very much looking forward to it.

I've made that trip on amtrak . I love travelling by train. I went coach in one direction, and I'll never do that again. could not sleep at all.  Paid a bunch more for a sleeper "closet".  It was worth every dime. Food was the bar car, and what I brought with me.

I did Amtrak from Rochester to Chicago and back.  It was about 14 hours each way.  Never again will I travel by train in this country. 

The people are disgusting, the train is not comfortable, frequent delays and stoppages.  It was miserable and not much cheaper than air travel. 

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I did Amtrak from Rochester to Chicago and back.  It was about 14 hours each way.  Never again will I travel by train in this country. 

The people are disgusting, the train is not comfortable, frequent delays and stoppages.  It was miserable and not much cheaper than air travel. 

So America wasn't really "great" when train travel was king/norm?

Like hell do I want to turn the clock back 

21 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

69 hours... I stopped right there... LoL...

Just kidding.  Sounds gr8, just pray you don't get douchebag set of passengers along for the ride.

That's only $2.89/hour... Not bad!  LoL...?

This is why people hitchhike.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

This is why people hitchhike.

Had a friend... Much older, Vietnam Vet.  Went to SF in 1967.  Ran out of money.  Was trying to get back to Chicago and home.  Hanging with other vagrants in Nevada town.  Sheriff picked him up, drove to the edge of town... By rail line... Said this train goes to Chicago.  5 Days later he was pulling into Blue Island, Illinois on Western Avenue.  LoL...

I said: "Had a friend."  Sadly he passed away @ 65 in 2012...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

20 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

IMHO:

I agree with ALL of this. Foxx , do they have the roomettes on this train? Not a full sleeper car, but decent enough. Two seats , fold into a bed, private room with a door. Sink and a toilet in there, ( but I always go the public restroom, ) access to shower, includes your food. That is one long trip sleeping in a chair and just overall not getting up and going for a run etc. 

and yes, trains are always freaking late and WiFi sucks. 

And i I am with GBID, make sure to BYOB if you are a drinker. Booze just as expensive on the train as it is in a plane.