Brandon Beane Interview: 1st Preseason Game Pivotal for Josh Allen in 2018

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

To me that is not the best form of evaluation. Especially when there has been a growing debate on the importance of pre-season games all together.

Moreover, if Allen is going to run strictly with the third team, is that really the supporting cast/situation that will set him up for success?

It's looking at more than production with the third team offense. How does he handle the huddle? How does he react to looks from the defense given the play? Is he making the correct reads? How does he handle pressure? How is ball placement? The staff wants to see him implementing the things they are working on in practice/is he in over his head type things. If his stat line doesn't look great after the game, it won't necessarily doom him...its how he handled the game and the situations. 

It isnt the end all be all for him, just the next big hurdle in the Bills staff evaluation of him/the QB room.

Allen - show he belongs in the convo - check

next up - show he can handle in game situations under "live fire"

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

To me that is not the best form of evaluation. Especially when there has been a growing debate on the importance of pre-season games all together.

Moreover, if Allen is going to run strictly with the third team, is that really the supporting cast/situation that will set him up for success?

The staff is well aware of who Allen is playing with.  What they are looking for is control of the huddle, game management, getting plays called quickly and putting people in the right position, and then execution of the play call.  All of that can absolutely be evaluated even if Allen is out there with the 3s.

this is the most excitting pre-season for the Bills in a long time.  So much stuff to keep an eye on: (1) clearly, the QB battle and how Allen performs; (2) WR's, who is #2; (3) O-line; (4) D.  Will it be even more dominant than last season; (5) what will Daboll's offense look like.  

I know, schemes are generally vanilla in pre-season, but the individual play in the vanilla situations should be telling.  Individual players to watch: Allen, Lawson, Peterman, Zay (if he returns); A. Washington; entire O-line; all WR's not named Benjamin.  And about 10 others I've left out! 

15 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Everyone has to be prepared to struggle if Allen plays. Not accept the struggles, but we can't try and replace him once he starts. There will be growing pains. May take a 4-12 season before we reap the rewards. 

Do you think the Coach and GM with one year under their belts are prepared to struggle?  IMO this kid is going to start from day one and they will yo yo him in and out of the starting role if the O line  and WR experiments fail.   As Bills fans we know the danger of doing this however 2nd year head coaches and GMs who have already demonstrated the ability to yo yo quarterbacks do not. 

14 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Do you think the Coach and GM with one year under their belts are prepared to struggle?  IMO this kid is going to start from day one and they will yo yo him in and out of the starting role if the O line  and WR experiments fail.   As Bills fans we know the danger of doing this however 2nd year head coaches and GMs who have already demonstrated the ability to yo yo quarterbacks do not. 

They cannot afford to "yo yo" a first year quarterback. If they are not 100% sure he's the guy then they had better not play games with him. Let one of the other two lame ducks take the beating for a year. Allen is the franchise quarterback. You don't risk possibly ruining him.

Edited by first_and_ten

3 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

They cannot afford to "yo yo" a first year quarterback. If they are not 100% sure he's the guy then they had better not play games with him. Let one of the other two lame ducks take the beating for a year. Allen is the franchise quarterback. You don't risk possibly ruining him.

I know this, you know this, all Bills fans know this.   Based on what you have seen from McBeane, do you think they know this?   .......Peterman, Carolina starting Cam from day one.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of don't like this - not the idea that Allen's reps might rise or fall, but the idea that Beane is sticking his finger in the pie of a player's playing time, not just whether or not that player makes the 53 or the practice squad.

I mean, he's our traded-up #7 draft pick, we know he's going to make the roster.  Shouldn't McDermott be the one pronouncing on his trajectory?

Per Rodak (and I think he missed something  with the Second team (or not)

Here is how the Bills have split quarterback reps in regular 11-on-11 drills through the first four practices of training camp: First team: AJ McCarron (19), Nathan Peterman (17), Josh Allen (9); Second team: Peterman (23), McCarron (22); Third team: Allen (35), Peterman (5), McCarron (

6 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I know this, you know this, all Bills fans know this.   Based on what you have seen from McBeane, do you think they know this?   .......Peterman, Carolina starting Cam from day one.

This better be Mcdermott's decision. Beane shouldn't be involved in who plays, That's the head coach's job. And I do think Mcdermott will make the wise decision, whatever that will be. I think last year's Charger fiasco has taught him. I don't think he's a stupid man.

Just now, first_and_ten said:

This better be Mcdermott's decision. Beane shouldn't be involved in who plays, That's the head coach's job. And I do think Mcdermott will make the wise decision, whatever that will be. I think last year's Charger fiasco has taught him. I don't think he's a stupid man.

McD will green light whatever Daboll tells him will work, at least to start.

• Like (+1) 1

we're really walking back the whole easing Allen into our system thing, aren't we? it's only been a few days of camp, and he's under the microscope. tweets for every pass he makes or misses. what's his body language. what's he saying. how long is he staying for autographs. TBN reporters asking Daboll what he's expecting of Allen every. single. day. Now putting weird undo pressure on him in his first preseason game? you'd never know there's a QB battle that actually doesn't even involve Allen. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

I mean, come on people Josh Allen has had 9 snaps with the 1's .   Pivotal game with 3's and and 4's against other 4's and 4's 

Bean is pulling the grand deception on a boat load of people.    He needs to fire more Josh Allen T-Shirts to the adoring fans  

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

we're really walking back the whole easing Allen into our system thing, aren't we? it's only been a few days of camp, and he's under the microscope. tweets for every pass he makes or misses. what's his body language. what's he saying. how long is he staying for autographs. TBN reporters asking Daboll what he's expecting of Allen. Now putting weird undo pressure on his in his first preseason game? you'd never know there's a QB battle that actually doesn't even involve Allen. 

Some people are drinking too much KoolAid and taking most everything they hear out of proportion  imo

10 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I agree with you about the yo yo effect. But I think times are different in sports now (more so in the NHL) and these drafted kids are expected to have an impact day 1. Allen is not shy about what he faces. He is 22 years old and not the same as a kid kid like Tremaine Edmunds who at 20 years old looks like he will be in charge of our D. ?

1 minute ago, beerme1 said:

I agree with you about the yo yo effect. But I think times are different in sports now (more so in the NHL) and these drafted kids are expected to have an impact day 1. Allen is not shy about what he faces. He is 22 years old and not the same as a kid kid like Tremaine Edmunds who at 20 years old looks like he will be in charge of our D. ?

Welcome to life in the NFL for a number one draft pick

6 hours ago, eball said:

I love this quote from the interview.  It says something that A LOT of fans, and even media, don't understand -- namely, that the players know who should be starting:

BEANE: “You’ve got to be careful. Some people say, hey, don’t play a rookie at all. And some people say go ahead and play him no matter what. And I think the thing is you’ve got to be fair to the other – when you get your 53-man roster – the other 52 players. Because everybody wants to win now, including (head coach) Sean (McDermott) and I. And so they see the same practice. They watch the same practices, they’ll watch the same preseason games. And if you’re not putting the best guy out there I think they’re going to lose their respect for you. So our job is to put the best 53, or 46 on game day, that help us win that week.”

Shoulda kept Hotrod if that's the way he feels.  Although the TBD experts did not feel that way, the other Players would run through a burning fence for Hotrod.  Many TBDers make the claim that players layed down when Nasty Nate was in in the Chargers debacle. hoPe they don't dislike Allen and AJ.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Shoulda kept Hotrod if that's the way he feels.  Although the TBD experts did not feel that way, the other Players would run through a burning fence for Hotrod.  Many TBDers make the claim that players layed down when Nasty Nate was in in the Chargers debacle. hoPe they don't dislike Allen and AJ.

Some of those same TBDers claimed losing Mike Gillislee would be a disaster.  Bottom line -- players loved Tyrod, that's true, but I haven't heard one lick of evidence to support they "dogged it" when Peterman was named starter.  Everyone knew the offense had become stagnant.  Further, McD immediately switched back and owned it with the team, which they respected.

But really, it's an apples and oranges situation when compared to a competition to name a starter.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Some of those same TBDers claimed losing Mike Gillislee would be a disaster.  Bottom line -- players loved Tyrod, that's true, but I haven't heard one lick of evidence to support they "dogged it" when Peterman was named starter.  Everyone knew the offense had become stagnant.  Further, McD immediately switched back and owned it with the team, which they respected.

But really, it's an apples and oranges situation when compared to a competition to name a starter.

Did you miss the part about no one blocking Joey Bosa?