Do you ride a motorcycle?

Fadingpain

Who here rides, or has ridden, a motorcycle? 

Did you ever fall off or dump the bike? 

I have been told by many bike riders over the years that it is not a question of "IF" you will fall, but "WHEN".

I do not ride or own a bike, but I have ridden a friend's bike around the block a few times.  I love everything about bikes but I am scared to ride them.

I'd be curious to hear what folks say about it.

My son broke his back on a dirt bike. I was not there, or it would never have happened. He never would have gotten on that thing. 

I see all the bumper stickers that say “Watch Out For Motorcycles”.  I’d like a bumper sticker that says “Weave In and Out of Traffic at Your own Peril”. I don’t want anybody to get hurt, ever! But ride responsibly....too many people don’t. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The risk isn't worth the reward to me. 

If it ever was, I don't see how it can possibly now with deer all over the place and people texting while driving, etc.

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

If it ever was, I don't see how it can possibly now with deer all over the place and people texting while driving, etc.

It's just too crowded out there. The roads are too saturated. The whole going out on the open road with your hair in the wind is a nice thought,  but not terribly practical. I hate driving. Teleporting would be ideal, beam me up. 

• Like (+1) 1

My freshman year in college I could hear a motorcycyle hitting the gas and flying down the road behind my dorm. It was two lanes each way, kind of campus/residential....a pretty little street that’s probably a 35 mph street, 40 tops. Just the sound told me he was going much faster....until the horrible noise. Someone had backed out of their driveway and he hit the back end of that car. He flew what seemed like 100 feet and went head first into a tree (with a helmet, which was no help). I was one of the first people there, and it’s a sight I will never forget. I guess you’re not supposed to forget the first dead body you stumble across. 

Edited by Augie
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, gobilz said:

Road dirt bikes as a kid . Now ride a Harley softail .  

I don’t hate the bikes, but I’m not a fan of the crazies on the bikes. Be safe and have fun, my friend. 

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Any incidents of dumping the bike, etc., you have had and care to discuss? 

Or have you never had a problem?

Haven't had a mishap yet . Thank goodness. Got to keep your head on a swivel for sure . People just don't see motorcycles . 

• Like (+1) 1

Tried riding on a friend's around the block once. That was enough for me.

His brother  ended up getting hit by a car when he was stopped to make a legal left turn.  Ended up in ECMC trauma ward.  The doc told him  he was one of the few that walked out of the ward.  For the rest of his life he  was on disability, couldn't walk right, had incontinence problems and also could not get it up.  He died in his 40s from a brain tumor.

Also had a neighbor that was out of work for at least 6months  because a deer ran  into his motorcycle on our street.

I have a Honda Shadow 750 that I love riding but only around the neighborhood. Dont go on highway anymore or anything. Can't believe I use to ride in North Buffalo on a motorcycle. I think people miss the point when they say watch out for motorcycles. Lots of people just don't look out for anything. That fender bender with two cars that is forgotten about after awhile is never forgotten when one of the vehicles is a MC. Lots of people just don't pay attention and that's a death sentence for a biker. 

That said, I don't know and can't prove it, but I'd bet a MC is safer than riding a bicycle. I see these people riding in heavy traffic on a narrow shoulders and I'm like I would never do that! Some people are such a-holes that I'll bet anything drivers intimidate, crowd and swerve at them. I jog and deal with that. 

I have crashed 3-wheelers, quads, dirtbikes, minibikes, golf carts, a moped, and cars/trucks...

...for that reason I have decided not to ride a motorcycle. When you are in a crash on a motorcycle, you die. No thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I have a Honda Shadow 750 that I love riding but only around the neighborhood. Dont go on highway anymore or anything. Can't believe I use to ride in North Buffalo on a motorcycle. I think people miss the point when they say watch out for motorcycles. Lots of people just don't look out for anything. That fender bender with two cars that is forgotten about after awhile is never forgotten when one of the vehicles is a MC. Lots of people just don't pay attention and that's a death sentence for a biker. 

That said, I don't know and can't prove it, but I'd bet a MC is safer than riding a bicycle. I see these people riding in heavy traffic on a narrow shoulders and I'm like I would never do that! Some people are such a-holes that I'll bet anything drivers intimidate, crowd and swerve at them. I jog and deal with that. 

What scares me as a driver is that sometimes it doesn’t register in my brain that I am looking at a motorcycle, bicycle, jogger, pedestrian.  When I am at a stop sign, especially in a rural area, I look both ways, etc. but I think my brain is trained to look for larger things that are wider. I’m sure people will say I must be a bad, inattentive driver, but I think a lot of people fall into this category. If you only encounter motorcycles a few times per year, your subconscious tendencies are not trained to see them. I think it’s a “creature of habit” kind of thing. 

When I was 15 I got hit by a car while on a bicycle. Outside of having my left knee swell up to twice its normal size for a few days, I was fine. From that point my decision was made, I need to be surrounded by metal when I'm dealing with idiots on the road.