Do you ride a motorcycle?

Fadingpain

I have a Honda Goldwing. I drive[ride] it about 5000 miles a year. I love riding but you can never just sit back and not be looking ahead or thinking ahead. Saturday I almost got hit some young girl texting while driving down the road at 55 miles an hour. Other drivers do cause me head aches but animals and loose gravel are what  I fear the most. People think about wild animals but dogs are just as bad.  I always know what is going on around me at ALL times. 

As was stated above if you are afraid to get on a Motorcycle than you should be on one. If you want to get on than for sure take the safety course in your area. They teach you everything from the basics of riding too the more technical things about riding.

I did lay it down once going around an on ramp of the freeway. Only got a pulled groin muscle. Lucky that was all i ended up with.  

My motorcycle keeps me doing something until football season starts again. 

6 minutes ago, NWPABillsfan said:

I have a Honda Goldwing. I drive[ride] it about 5000 miles a year. I love riding but you can never just sit back and not be looking ahead or thinking ahead. Saturday I almost got hit some young girl texting while driving down the road at 55 miles an hour. Other drivers do cause me head aches but animals and loose gravel are what  I fear the most. People think about wild animals but dogs are just as bad.  I always know what is going on around me at ALL times. 

As was stated above if you are afraid to get on a Motorcycle than you should be on one. If you want to get on than for sure take the safety course in your area. They teach you everything from the basics of riding too the more technical things about riding.

I did lay it down once going around an on ramp of the freeway. Only got a pulled groin muscle. Lucky that was all i ended up with.  

My motorcycle keeps me doing something until football season starts again. 

I couldn’t agree more with the last sentence of your first paragraph, regarding knowing everything going on around you.  I had a motorcycle for 5 years.  Never laid it down.  One thing I always said is that when I’m on the bike, I see everything that you would never see driving a car.  I was very aware of every rock, pothole, debris in the road, squirrels, deer, other cars, etc.  There was never an incident that I didn’t anticipate while riding.  I had on numerous occasions other cars try to change lanes with me next to them, but I could see it coming in a way that would never happen in a car (not sure that even makes sense to other people).  As long as you are aware of your surroundings, don’t drive like an idiot, or get caught in a nasty storm, you’re likely going to be fine.  

I've ridden, owned a couple bikes, never laid one down going more than 10 mph, i was always super careful.  Dirt bike was another story.   I'm sure if I rode more than a few years i would have dumped it on some back road with sand on it but I consider myself very fortunate I never laid her down.   Sold it in 2009.  

10 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Been driving (not riding -- pet peeve; I know everyone says "riders" and "riding" but to me "riding" sounds like you're just a passive participant not in control; I know, I'm nutso but "riding" a motorcycle is *not at all* like riding the bus!) motorcycles for >30 yrs, mostly in hellacious L.A. traffic, or on twisty mountain roads. 

Driven on coastal highways, desert dirt roads, mountain logging roads,  L.A. freeways, 1000 mile road trips, Donner Pass in winter, through Firebaugh a few times where I almost got hit by a football traveling at Mach 2 ? , & many other places.

Been down/fell off plenty of times, mostly early on in my biking career,  in all kinds of conditions.  Been down on sand, gravel, ice, wet leaves...

Been hit by cars, trucks, and once by flying debris shedding off of a truck that was crashing creatively on the 134 freeway.

Sum total of all my crash-related injuries:  A few nicks and scrapes, and one probable concussion (my first year on my first bike, a Suzuki 550E road-racer held together with love and baling wire.)

I will say this:  motorcycling is not for everyone. If you doubt your ability to hold it together when **** starts going down, you probably ought not to be on a bike.

Also, it is critical to *always* wear the best safety gear you can afford. I don't give a crap how "hot" the weather is. The cooling tech available now is incredible. They have vents that route cool wind through your helmet, and similar for jackets. I stay plenty comfortable. People who drive helmetless or shirtless or in shorts or in flip-flops are tools. They *will* get !@#$ed up. It's just a matter of time.

If you decide to go for it, I highly recommend taking some AMA certified training courses. Totally worth it.

Cheers!

Good post, thank for the input!

What scares me is that you can do everything right going by the book, be super cautious, be ultra vigilant...and *still* if your number is up, it's up.  

Some accidents absolutely can be avoided.  It's the ones that can't that scare the hell out of me.

Without question I would take the safety courses and learn proper vehicle operation, etc.

I'm a gear head and do several track days a year in a car.  So much of what you experienced cyclists are saying about awareness, etc., is nothing new to me.

It doesn't help that the bike that calls my name weighs about 400 lbs. and has 200 bhp!  

Each horse pulling a whopping 2 pounds.  Power to weight ratio to die for.

Wait, bad choice of words.

:lol:

47 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It doesn't help that the bike that calls my name weighs about 400 lbs. and has 200 bhp!  

What are you looking at?  Those specs are in the ballpark for GSX-R, S1000RR, YZF-R1, or if you're really loaded, a used Superleggera or Desmosedici?  

Back in High School and college I had a Yamaha 350 RD, it was a 2 stroke rocket. I loved it but as everyone has said, your head has to be on a swivel. Once, riding down Delaware Ave. a woman in the left lane with her left blinker decides to take a right as I was passing in the lane, I had to downshift and cram on the brakes causing my front to slip out and I went down, I was so pissed I almost took off my helmet and beat her to death. She could have killed me with her stupidity. My adrenalin was such that I just heaved the bike up from the pavement and drove off, later when I got to work and the adrenalin rush subsided, I started to find the gravel, bruises and scrapes on the legs and palms of my hands. 

I ended up selling it when I moved from Buffalo, but once in a while I will take my brothers BMW R /75 for a ride up in Canada. But I am pretty much done with bikes unless I move from Long Island/Tri state area. 

30 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

What are you looking at?  Those specs are in the ballpark for GSX-R, S1000RR, YZF-R1, or if you're really loaded, a used Superleggera or Desmosedici?  

Ducati Panigale V4. 

I follow Ducati like a religion; cheer for them in Moto GP, have toured the factory in Bologna....the whole nine yards.

16 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

Back in High School and college I had a Yamaha 350 RD, it was a 2 stroke rocket. I loved it but as everyone has said, your head has to be on a swivel. Once, riding down Delaware Ave. a woman in the left lane with her left blinker decides to take a right as I was passing in the lane, I had to downshift and cram on the brakes causing my front to slip out and I went down, I was so pissed I almost took off my helmet and beat her to death. She could have killed me with her stupidity. My adrenalin was such that I just heaved the bike up from the pavement and drove off, later when I got to work and the adrenalin rush subsided, I started to find the gravel, bruises and scrapes on the legs and palms of my hands. 

I ended up selling it when I moved from Buffalo, but once in a while I will take my brothers BMW R /75 for a ride up in Canada. But I am pretty much done with bikes unless I move from Long Island/Tri state area. 

These are the stories that are all too common among bike riders.

On a fast bike, you have 3 potential enemies: other vehicles on the road around you, the bike itself and/or your ability to control it particularly at speed, and the environment, like an ice patch or wet leaves or a huge pot hole.

I think I have enough faith in the bike, me, and the environment for those factors not to scare me away.  Other people/vehicles on the road?  I wouldn't trust them to be able to spell their own name correctly, let alone put my life in their hands.

It's for that reason that I honestly would probably limit the riding to unusual times for simple joy rides.  Pick roads/routes carefully and drive them at times when it is not raining, there is ample day light, and few vehicles.  

A bike like a Ducati (what I want) is a toy meant for limited use anyway.  It's not like I'll be commuting to work on one every day in a crowded metro area.

But still...I'm scared to death of the whole thing! 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Ducati Panigale V4. 

I follow Ducati like a religion; cheer for them in Moto GP, have toured the factory in Bologna....the whole nine yards.

Ah - the new one.  Frankly, I haven't heard too many people raving about this latest incarnation of the V4 mill but that could be due to the newness factor.  It's a looker for sure. But there's no way in hell I'd recommend an 1100cc sportbike for a first time pilot.   1100's are just...different.  Once you hit the powerband, **** happens before you can finish a blink.  If you do go that way...good luck!

37 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Ah - the new one.  Frankly, I haven't heard too many people raving about this latest incarnation of the V4 mill but that could be due to the newness factor.  It's a looker for sure. But there's no way in hell I'd recommend an 1100cc sportbike for a first time pilot.   1100's are just...different.  Once you hit the powerband, **** happens before you can finish a blink.  If you do go that way...good luck!

I've read some good reviews of the bike.  There will always be resistance, though, from the faithful who think a Ducati has to be a V Twin and anything other than that is wrong.  It's like the resistance Porsche went through when they moved to the first water cooled 911s in the late '90s.  

Your advice to avoid a liter bike as a first bike is probably very sound.   (LOL).

Many driving instructors have told me the wisdom of tracking my Mini Cooper as opposed to some super car, b/c you have to ask how fast you want to be going when you get into trouble on a track.  My Mini's limits are low enough that I can get out of trouble...in a 911 Turbo forget it.  You're going to hit something, hard.

Every track event I go to, one or more cars are flat bedded off, and it's usually the high powered stuff.

Maybe I should take a look at the 959 Corse.  Only 150 bhp

Panigale-959-MY18-USA-Red-01-Model-Previ

A 61-year old guy died Friday riding a bike about 100 yards from my house. Apparently he had passed a few cars and was in the passing lane as a young woman made a left turn onto the road he was on and they collided head on. She survived; he did not. I had to pass through the scene to get into my driveway. His bike and helmet were still in the road.  Very sad for all involved, especially for the young woman who I’m sure had no idea what was happening. 

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I've read some good reviews of the bike.  There will always be resistance, though, from the faithful who think a Ducati has to be a V Twin and anything other than that is wrong.  It's like the resistance Porsche went through when they moved to the first water cooled 911s in the late '90s.  

Nothing inherently wrong with a V4 Duc.  The (now 11 yrs old) Desmosedici RR was a great bike. I'd kill to have one of those babies.

Your advice to avoid a liter bike as a first bike is probably very sound.   (LOL).

You can always trade up later... if you're alive and kicking!

Maybe I should take a look at the 959 Corse.  Only 150 bhp

Panigale-959-MY18-USA-Red-01-Model-Previ

That's the 2018 959 Panigale in stock red.  A very nice bike. This is actually the same bike in Corse trim which I also like a lot:

5b3fb422f5ccc321c64d60d1.jpg

5 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Nothing inherently wrong with a V4 Duc.  The (now 11 yrs old) Desmosedici RR was a great bike. I'd kill to have one of those babies.

You can always trade up later... if you're alive and kicking!

That's the 2018 959 Panigale in stock red.  A very nice bike. This is actually the same bike in Corse trim which I also like a lot:

5b3fb422f5ccc321c64d60d1.jpg

I watched this video earlier tonight.  This is a 2016 959.

Rider was laughing uncontrollably and giddy with the power. 

At one point he actually says something like "You might want to have some riding experience before you ride this bike or you might find yourself sliding along the ground."

Great bike and I love that twin sound it produces.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Fadingpain said:

Who here rides, or has ridden, a motorcycle? 

Did you ever fall off or dump the bike? 

I have been told by many bike riders over the years that it is not a question of "IF" you will fall, but "WHEN".

I do not ride or own a bike, but I have ridden a friend's bike around the block a few times.  I love everything about bikes but I am scared to ride them.

I'd be curious to hear what folks say about it.

Hopefully you know how to shift.  You have to loose the fear.  Take the safety course, buy a smaller cruiser bike like 750cc to start with and get a year or two with it.  Get a year in before 2-up riding.  I've got about 50k in riding, 35k with my current bike.  Do about 3-5k a year.  Fall Sundays are spent riding with the Bills game on the radio LOL.  So if you really end up into it, go Harley. Riding is the best and nothing is better than the HD experience.  Mine:

EG#7.jpg

3 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Hopefully you know how to shift.  You have to loose the fear.  Take the safety course, buy a smaller cruiser bike like 750cc to start with and get a year or two with it.  Get a year in before 2-up riding.  I've got about 50k in riding, 35k with my current bike.  Do about 3-5k a year.  Fall Sundays are spent riding with the Bills game on the radio LOL.  So if you really end up into it, go Harley. Riding is the best and nothing is better than the HD experience.  Mine:

EG#7.jpg

Thanks for your input.

So tell me about the time you put the bike down.

Or have you been lucky?

I agree put a year or two on a smaller bike before you get a big one. I have rode Harley and Yamaha and Honda.  Of different CCs and I would say when you are ready too move up to a bigger Bike I believe the best riding bike is a Honda Goldwing 1800. I went from a Yamaha 1300 Royal Star Tour deluxe into my Goldwing I think the ride is so much better with the Goldwing. But after I say all that I will say everyone is different and enjoys a different bike. It doesn't matter what you ride, if you want to ride just get out there on the open road and ride.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:37 PM, bbb said:

If it ever was, I don't see how it can possibly now with deer all over the place and people texting while driving, etc.

These are two of the main reasons I stopped riding and sold my bike.

It's a damn shame, too, because I really loved it.

• Like (+1) 1

I had a small Honda bike for a few years but sold it and don't plan to replace it until my kids are grown. I never went down on it, but I had some close calls, 1 in particular, that could have been really bad.

A lady my family knows accidentally killed a guy on a bike about a mile from my house. She pulled out in front of him while trying to leave a shopping center.

If I ever do get another bike I'll spring for a thick jacket with cooling options. It's too dangerous to ride exposed, but it sucks wearing jeans and leather when it's 90+ outside, and it sucks even more when the temperature drops and you wore light gear.  Some of the most miserable moments of my adult life have been riding home in chilly weather without enough clothes. And 60° feels like 40 at 50 mph in a light shirt 

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

No. Bikes are annoying and ruin the peaceful country side and are rude.

They ruin my walks in the city, too...............I'm usually listening to a podcast on my headphones and it shouldn't be drowned out by a bike that I have now heard for the last two minutes.