Do you ride a motorcycle?

Fadingpain

3 hours ago, bbb said:

They ruin my walks in the city, too...............I'm usually listening to a podcast on my headphones and it shouldn't be drowned out by a bike that I have now heard for the last two minutes. 

Please distinguish between a Harley type sound and a Ducati type sound.

One sounds like an annoying lawn mower, the other is a symphony to be enjoyed.

Listen to this at the 30 second mark and beyond.  If you think that is "noise" you just don't have a clue.

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Please distinguish between a Harley type sound and a Ducati type sound.

One sounds like an annoying lawn mower, the other is a symphony to be enjoyed.

Listen to this at the 30 second mark and beyond.  If you think that is "noise" you just don't have a clue.

You're right.  I don't have a clue.................As usual, tonight my podcast was interrupted due to a dick on a bike.  I could hear him coming from way down the street.  My timing would have been that I was going to walk across the street at about the same time they noise was going to arrive, so I didn't.  He did stop at the stop sign down the street.  Then, really got revving for the 100-200 yards or whatever to the stop sign I was going to cross at.  At this time he was going full throttle as fast as he possibly could, seemed to standing up, blew threw the stop sign like that, while two other cars were coming in the opposite direction.

Of course, I soon walked past a house with a "Look twice - save a life" sign.  Ironic - that dick didn't even look once at the street that he crossed that he had the stop sign.  And, if one of the two cars oncoming took the left that was their right of way - he would have dead. 

But, yeah - I don't have a clue.  I went to 30 seconds and it's noise.  Period. 

Had a Kawasaki KZ550 about 8 years ago which I dumped at about 45mph on a highway entrance ramp.  Pretty much totaled the bike as it was only about $3k.

3 years later I dumped a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (I payed $3,500 for) when I was rear-ended by an inattentive driver.  Insurance totaled the bike.  

Neither time was I seriously injured.

Used the insurance money to buy my daughter the rifle pictured in my avatar.

Bottom line.  Take the motorcycle safety course if you do ride and wear good gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots) to help you survive the accident.

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Had a Kawasaki KZ550 about 8 years ago which I dumped at about 45mph on a highway entrance ramp.  Pretty much totaled the bike as it was only about $3k.

3 years later I dumped a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (I payed $3,500 for) when I was rear-ended by an inattentive driver.  Insurance totaled the bike.  

Neither time was I seriously injured.

Used the insurance money to buy my daughter the rifle pictured in my avatar.

Bottom line.  Take the motorcycle safety course if you do ride and wear good gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots) to help you survive the accident.

Thanks for the input.

Check out this beauty from 1964.  We were in "ThaiTown" (Uptown, Chicago...SE Asia's part of the city) yesterday and noticed it in a supermarket.  LoL... Like the "broken" English, "Please watch [but] don't t touch, Thank You."  Even put bags on the accelerator/brake/clutch...?Motor/carb almost looks as big as a weed-whacker.

Nice little 110cc Honda from the early Vietnam conflict era.  Was it zipping around Bangkok or Saigon back in the day? Somebody preserved it well over 54 years!

IMG_20180804_111316796_3_1.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That little Honda is a really cool bike with plenty of vintage accents.  And it's in really nice shape.  Thanks for posting!  The front fender/fork/chromed wire wheel area is really tastefully done. 

That is the "other" type of bike I am attracted to.  I like sexy modern Italian stuff, or old vintage stuff.  As Jay Leno says, bikes that you can "see through" like this Honda. (Engine area is not just a wall of mechanical stuff but there is space here and there you can see through).

That Honda has some of the same flavor as this 1936 Brough Superior SS100 (another bike I love) , while presumably not costing $1 million + .  

1936-brough-superior-ss100-still-touring

Found this image on the internet.  Same Honda C110 as mentioned above.   Better photo of a cool bike, but not not in nearly as nice condition! 

Rt+side.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Never interested me.  I did sit on one at the BMW factory in Munich.  Beautiful bike but, very heavy, and I couldn't imagine taking it in traffic, especially in Germany.

I do get a laugh seeing the Harley T-shirts, that say, on the back, "if you can read this, the bit*h fell off!"  

On August 3, 2018 at 3:10 AM, bbb said:

You're right.  I don't have a clue.................As usual, tonight my podcast was interrupted due to a dick on a bike.  I could hear him coming from way down the street.  My timing would have been that I was going to walk across the street at about the same time they noise was going to arrive, so I didn't.  He did stop at the stop sign down the street.  Then, really got revving for the 100-200 yards or whatever to the stop sign I was going to cross at.  At this time he was going full throttle as fast as he possibly could, seemed to standing up, blew threw the stop sign like that, while two other cars were coming in the opposite direction.

Of course, I soon walked past a house with a "Look twice - save a life" sign.  Ironic - that dick didn't even look once at the street that he crossed that he had the stop sign.  And, if one of the two cars oncoming took the left that was their right of way - he would have dead. 

But, yeah - I don't have a clue.  I went to 30 seconds and it's noise.  Period. 

Noted.

10 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Never interested me.  I did sit on one at the BMW factory in Munich.  Beautiful bike but, very heavy, and I couldn't imagine taking it in traffic, especially in Germany.

I do get a laugh seeing the Harley T-shirts, that say, on the back, "if you can read this, the bit*h fell off!"  

Classy.

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That little Honda is a really cool bike with plenty of vintage accents.  And it's in really nice shape.  Thanks for posting!  The front fender/fork/chromed wire wheel area is really tastefully done. 

That is the "other" type of bike I am attracted to.  I like sexy modern Italian stuff, or old vintage stuff.  As Jay Leno says, bikes that you can "see through" like this Honda. (Engine area is not just a wall of mechanical stuff but there is space here and there you can see through).

That Honda has some of the same flavor as this 1936 Brough Superior SS100 (another bike I love) , while presumably not costing $1 million + .  

1936-brough-superior-ss100-still-touring

Found this image on the internet.  Same Honda C110 as mentioned above.   Better photo of a cool bike, but not not in nearly as nice condition! 

Rt+side.jpg

Yeah the one in the Uptown Asian supermarket was so clean... Almost to the date built. I had to take a pic, given this thread.  Pic was very compressed down (to under 200kb).  The compression doesn't do it any justice.  Look at it closely, looks like it was almost never touched. Chrome, etc... Wonder what the story was.  My wife would have nudge me if I went up and asked the fish monger stacking the salmon heads... LoL... I didnt go there, but the story behind that bike was gnawing @ me worse than the green curry and the pork belly floating around in my stomach. ?

I drove back from North Carolina this morning and saw a sign that said 836 people had died in NC vehicle accidents to date this year. More than 90 (or 10%) were on motorcycles. Those are not good numbers. What % of vehicles are motorcycles? It ain’t anywhere near 10%, probably less than 1%, so you do the math. Park that baby in the garage. 

On 7/28/2018 at 6:37 PM, Fadingpain said:

Who here rides, or has ridden, a motorcycle? 

Did you ever fall off or dump the bike? 

I have been told by many bike riders over the years that it is not a question of "IF" you will fall, but "WHEN".

I do not ride or own a bike, but I have ridden a friend's bike around the block a few times.  I love everything about bikes but I am scared to ride them.

I'd be curious to hear what folks say about it.

Me. 

Still licensed. Haven’t ridden in years. Won’t give up my license. 

Yes. Kawasaki 500 in Pennsylvania coming back from a race in W Virginia. 

TRUE. VERY TRUE. 

Dont get Sissy bars. Figure out what kind of riding you want to do - road, off road, etc. Then get a bike that fits you. Don’t go nuts. You’re never more aware of the road surface than when you ride. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I drove back from North Carolina this morning and saw a sign that said 836 people had died in NC vehicle accidents to date this year. More than 90 (or 10%) were on motorcycles. Those are not good numbers. What % of vehicles are motorcycles? It ain’t anywhere near 10%, probably less than 1%, so you do the math. Park that baby in the garage. 

There's definitely an issue with guys who have insecurity issues, get the bike, and then ride recklessly because they think they're a badass. I'm willing to bet that those guys are 99% of the deadly accidents. Like that news story posted by @bbb

As others have mentioned, you're going to eventually dump the bike if you ride a lot, but its usually in a situation that's not particularly dangerous and more controlled. I'm being very general, but you get the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nanker said:

Me. 

Still licensed. Haven’t ridden in years. Won’t give up my license. 

Yes. Kawasaki 500 in Pennsylvania coming back from a race in W Virginia. 

TRUE. VERY TRUE. 

Dont get Sissy bars. Figure out what kind of riding you want to do - road, off road, etc. Then get a bike that fits you. Don’t go nuts. You’re never more aware of the road surface than when you ride. 

Or if you have 18" or greater rims on your automobile.  On the F56, Cooper S, I run 205/40 R18 summer wheels/tires.  Very low profile... So you watch every nook & granny of the road, tracks, etc... ?

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Or if you have 18" or greater rims on your automobile.  On the F56, Cooper S, I run 205/40 R18 summer wheels/tires.  Very low profile... So you watch every nook & granny of the road, tracks, etc... ?

Ha.  We are both Mini drivers.  And Bills fans.  What are the odds?

:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Ha.  We are both Mini drivers.  And Bills fans.  What are the odds?

:lol:

I thought there was only one Mini Driver. I don’t know the odds, but I loved her in Good Will Hunting. An all-time favorite! 

• Haha (+1) 1