Harrison Phillips already standing out

Per Joe B

Harrison Phillips, the 1-on-1 machine
- Before you read anything more, please keep in mind that on the first day of practice, the players are still without pads -- which means it's not nearly as physical as it will be from Saturday through the end of camp. However, after watching the first day of one-on-ones, Harrison Phillips was the clear runaway of a winner. On his first rep he ripped right through Ryan Groy and got into the backfield, and on his second rep, he was in the backfield and past De'Ondre Wesley with ease. For his final rep, Groy put up more of a fight but eventually, Phillips ripped through and got past him. I'll be quite interested to see what the Bills do with Phillips because he's got more ability than just as a one-technique defensive tackle that eats space.  Especially with how Adolphus Washington hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities, I wonder if we might see Phillips on the field a lot more as a rotational backup, at both defensive tackle positions, to maximize his output this season. It's young yet, but it was definitely an impressive first day for the rookie.

Day 1 MVP: Harrison Phillips
- The rookie defensive tackles flashed significant disruption ability during the one-on-one drill, which is what helped him claim MVP status for the first day of practice. If he can keep it up when the pads go on, the Bills might have found themselves a player. However, it's way too early for any declarations like that.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I love it. Just what we needed up front. 

This defense can be a top 10 unit.

I'm thinking top5 if it all clicks.

Loved the Phillips pick.

Still have a lot of questions to answer about the defense though.

-how quickly will Edmunds transition to grasp the NFL schemes? MLB is huge for McD 's system 

-how will vontae Davis perform? He was very subpar last year, and people are forgetting his good EJ Gaines played when healthy, he was a big part of the passing defense

-can Murphy return to form? He's missed time and had a big injury

-can star return to form? He's been on a downtrend the last couple years, so hoping McD can bring him back up form

That's some big questions, but if they all work out in our favor, this will be a special defense 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I saw plenty of Mocks where he was a consideration at 22, I still don’t understand how he slipped down the board. 

Link?  And I loved the pick (Stanford is the best “college” football team in the country).  I just worry the expectations are getting a little crazy.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I saw plenty of Mocks where he was a consideration at 22, I still don’t understand how he slipped down the board. 

I think there was some question on whether he was an elite pass rushing DT just in terms of talent ... and i think he’s more of a Kyle type as far as being more of a technician/high motor guy with the mind and drive to succeed while still being a great athlete. Kyle went in the 5th and it’s hard to believe looking back ... but I think a similar situation 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there was some question on whether he was an elite pass rushing DT just in terms of talent ... and i think he’s more of a Kyle type as far as being more of a technician/high motor guy with the mind and drive to succeed while still being a great athlete. Kyle went in the 5th and it’s hard to believe looking back ... but I think a similar situation 

I think what is so underrated about Kyle Williams is he’s a fat guy who is a great athlete.  

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm thinking top5 if it all clicks.

Loved the Phillips pick.

Still have a lot of questions to answer about the defense though.

-how quickly will Edmunds transition to grasp the NFL schemes? MLB is huge for McD 's system 

-how will vontae Davis perform? He was very subpar last year, and people are forgetting his good EJ Gaines played when healthy, he was a big part of the passing defense

-can Murphy return to form? He's missed time and had a big injury

-can star return to form? He's been on a downtrend the last couple years, so hoping McD can bring him back up form

That's some big questions, but if they all work out in our favor, this will be a special defense 

We might have the talent for a top 5-10 unit....but it will never statistically show if the offense has a poor TOP. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Link?  And I loved the pick (Stanford is the best “college” football team in the country).  I just worry the expectations are getting a little crazy.  

Look through people’s mocks from this spring, I’m talking about on TSW. Pro Football Weekly had him ranked as the 38th overall prospect.

I just remembering seeing his name penciled in at 22.

I like positive camp reports, but it's still way too early. In this case, the pads aren't on yet, and defensive lineman typically dominate offensive linemen during this time of year. Not that I'm not excited about Phillips and what he could bring to this team, but until he is able to show out consistently when the pads are on, I'm going to keep these camp reports in the proper perspective. 

And as for the "top 10/5 defense" talk, I'm not ready to make that kind of prediction without seeing them in the regular season. I really like what this staff has done and the players brought in, but IMO top 5 or even top 10 is an extremely lofty expectation this year. There's going to be growing pains on all 3 levels of the defense (secondary not so much; we'll see how Davis adjusts in a predominately zone scheme). I'm sure we'll see flashes of what's to come, but mistakes will be made, especially by the younger guys like Phillips and Edmunds. And by top 5/10, I assume people are refering to PPG allowed and not yards, because they'll probably give up chunk yardage quite frequently against the pass just like last year. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect this defense to be that good so soon. Middle of the pack, I can see, but there's a lot of "ifs" that need to go the Bills way for any extreme improvement to happen, as SouthNYfan says. Teams typically do not improve from bottom 10 to top 5 in one year. 

I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but I'm also a "wait and see before getting my hopes up to have them come crashing down" kind of guy. The makings are there, but they've still got to go out and prove it.

26 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

That's really getting old

A little sarcastic humor never gets old to me.

You know what is old is your constant lack of contribution to threads. Your posts always seem to be about calling a guy out, of referencing usernames in a negative way. I get it; that post doesn't really contribute either, but lighten up Francis!

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I like positive camp reports, but it's still way too early. In this case, the pads aren't on yet, and defensive lineman typically dominate offensive linemen during this time of year. Not that I'm not excited about Phillips and what he could bring to this team, but until he is able to show out consistently when the pads are on, I'm going to keep these camp reports in the proper perspective. 

And as for the "top 10/5 defense" talk, I'm not ready to make that kind of prediction without seeing them in the regular season. I really like what this staff has done and the players brought in, but IMO top 5 or even top 10 is an extremely lofty expectation this year. There's going to be growing pains on all 3 levels of the defense (secondary not so much; we'll see how Davis adjusts in a predominately done scheme). I'm sure we'll see flashes of what's to come, but mistakes will be made, especially by the younger guys like Phillips and Edmunds. And by top 5/10, I assume people are refering to PPG allowed and not yards, because they'll probably give up chunk yardage quite frequently against the pass just like last year. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect this defense to be that good so soon. Middle of the pack, I can see, but there's a lot of "ifs" that need to go the Bills way for any extreme improvement to happen, as SouthNYfan says. Teams typically do not improve from bottom 10 to top 5 in one year. 

I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but I'm also a "wait and see before getting my hopes up to have them come crashing down" kind of guy. The makings are there, but they've still got to go out and prove it.

Would love it if they were - but the greater uncertainty is how long our offense will stay on the field, and dare I say produce, this season. All of which contributes heavily to how well a defense pans out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Would love it if they were - but the greater uncertainty is how long our offense will stay on the field, and dare I say produce, this season. All of which contributes heavily to how well a defense pans out. 

Of course it does. That factor only adds to my reasoning.