ESPN 7/27

17 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I saw the replay last week. The end of the game was tough listening to Romo. What was that again, Cover 4, COVER 4!

Oh god - Romo calling Bills games last year was hilarious. “oh noooooo! Look - you have a guyyyy - throw it!  awwww man, sacked.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sistersarah said:

Was watching Golic and Wingo this morning and the substitutes were doing their predictions for the year and I just wonder if do they just look at stats or do you think they actually watch the games. I thought this yesterday when they were gushing about Tyrod. Now I believe the Bills may take a step back as Beane and McDermott make the team more in what they envision but seeing what they did last year I thought they should get props....

Go Bills!

I'm not sure what stats would convince me otherwise about Tyrod's game play. If anything, his stats make him look worse then his gameplay does. That being said, if he has Landry and Gordon and maybe even Bryant, it'll be interesting if he plays as good as some Bills fans believed he could be.

Edited by wagon127

Bottom line:  Doesn't matter if Bills take a step back...the moves made were not for just this year, it was too gain a higher ceiling and become a real contender, not just a team that would be on the playoff bubble every year.  Its exactly why the Chiefs made the move for Mahomes.  They felt they needed more to get over the hump, so they made the choice to not be a mediocre playoff team to try and be a SB contender.  Big difference thought is that KC has LOADED Mahomes with a major arsenal of weapons to help him succeed...our QB's dont have nearly the talent to throw to, so we could have some growing pains.

If whoever wins the job at QB can be solid, then this team can make the playoffs again.  I firmly believe our D is going to be a top 5 unit potentially this year.  I think our solid D is much improved.  I think we have the best secondary in the NFL, we Murphy is going to be a steal, and TE is going to be DROY.  Not to mention I believe Phillips is going to be a strong rookie on the DL too.  That secondary is going to make life easier on the boys up front and buy them more time.  

But if the QB's struggle (given we dont have a single proven QB on the roster yet), then we will certainly regress and miss the playoffs.  TT was an elite weapon with his feet, so even when he was struggling throwing we could still move the ball in the ground game.  Without TT, the QB's are going to have to be at LEAST solid, if not better I think to push for the playoffs.  And I certainly think there is potential there for the QB's to be good enough to get us back to the playoffs this year, but they still need to prove it on the field.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bottom line:  Doesn't matter if Bills take a step back...the moves made were not for just this year, it was too gain a higher ceiling and become a real contender, not just a team that would be on the playoff bubble every year.  

If whoever wins the job at QB can be solid, then this team can make the playoffs again.  I firmly believe our D is going to be a top 5 unit potentially this year.  I think our solid D is much improved.  I think we have the best secondary in the NFL, we Murphy is going to be a steal, and TE is going to be DROY.  Not to mention I believe Phillips is going to be a strong rookie on the DL too.  That secondary is going to make life easier on the boys up front and buy them more time.  

But if the QB's struggle (given we dont have a single proven QB on the roster yet), then we will certainly regress and miss the playoffs.  TT was an elite weapon with his feet, so even when he was struggling throwing we could still move the ball in the ground game.  Without TT, the QB's are going to have to be at LEAST solid, if not better I think to push for the playoffs.  And I certainly think there is potential there for the QB's to be good enough to get us back to the playoffs this year, but they still need to prove it on the field.  

Well said. Our defense is going to be a foundational unit for this franchise going forward...which is what everyone wanted back when we had Taylor. Now we have that defensive potential PLUS a rookie QB with huge upside, I really like how the Bills are positioned going forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eee1776 said:

I watched the Jax playoff game again , and I counted 2 or 3 touchdown passes that Tyrod missed an open receiver.

this will be a big difference this year, IMO.  If our QB's can read the entire field and go through progressions, we get 1-2 more TD's a game.   TT locked onto his #1 too often, then ran.  Which was fine a lot of times because he can run, but missing wide-open WR's was also a clear skill of his.  

15 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I'm not sure what stats would convince me otherwise about Tyrod's game play. If anything, his stats make him look worse then his gameplay does. That being said, if he has Landry and Gordon and maybe even Bryant, it'll be interesting if he plays as good as some Bills fans believed he could be.

the TT situation this year will be interesting.  If he has terrible stats heading into week 3, watch out.   Luckily I think Cle also has a good running game, and TT should be able to lock onto Gordon or Landry.  But if he is missing open guys, I predict anarchy in the CLE locker room.  

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Well said. Our defense is going to be a foundational unit for this franchise going forward...which is what everyone wanted back when we had Taylor. Now we have that defensive potential PLUS a rookie QB with huge upside, I really like how the Bills are positioned going forward. 

Yes, this D to me is stacked for the future, and if Phillips and TE have strong rookie years like I think they will, this D could be top 5 this year.  I will argue with anyone we have the best secondary in the NFL when healthy.  I think the most underrated FA signing across the NFL this year was Murphy.  I think this guy is going to be a force and with the other returning guys and new additions, I think we will see Hughes be a force again too.  

Obviously, WR is still very scary.  Our penciled in top 2 guys have huge question marks to even stay on the field, let alone play to expectations.  ZJ and KB have a LOT to prove both in their play and their ability to stay on the field.  And everything behind them are all mediocre vets or unproven guys, so the QB's have their work cut out for them given they are all unproven themselves and we have an unknown OL to go with it and a McCoy situation to add a cherry on top of the huge question marks on the offense.

But if we do regress, its absolutely fine, because the moves they made were for the future.  And you cant fill every hole in one or 2 seasons, especially when over hauling the roster they way they did.  Next year, I fully expect to be offensive heavy in the draft and offseason and help stack the table for a series of real post season runs in the years to come, assuming they dont get there this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Tyrod runs for a lot of yards.  He needs to be accounted for in production and defenses dedicate a safety/LB to containing him.  Get ready to see one more man in the box who is free to attack the LOS.

Yes, losing two pro bowl caliber OLinemen and our best run blocker and replacing them with nothing is a big issue.

lol Woods was nowhere near pro-bowl caliber last year

• Like (+1) 1

I see all this stuff about him making plays with his legs. Well if you have a QB who doesn't see the first read open, bails and runs... It doesn't make him some freakishly gifted athlete. Most QBs can scramble on 3rd and 3 and make the first down. He may help the browns this year but the afcn defenses are gonna be ready and the narrative of tyrod nationally will be more in line with what we have seen. 

Edited by billsredneck1

4 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

We might regress as a total offense. Lets say we cant pass the ball because our line cant block......Tyrod would at least be able to use his legs.

The safety net of his legs were able to keep the chains moving. Now obviously if we can get decent passing the sticks will move naturally with the QBs arm. 

We will get a better idea this year just how important Tyrods legs were to the offense. 

Yeah, but despite Tyrod’s mobility, he took a lot of sacks because he held onto the ball too long.  

If Daboll implements a short quick passing game that the QB is successful with, it could compensate for a potentially weaker O-line

42 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

People panicking after he left is just so bizarre, IMO.

Even Ritchie wasn't that great.

Your man love for Ducasse and Groy is as strange as it is creepy.  What kind of man gets a tattoo of Vlad Ducasse on his lower back??

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

The National Media has such a weird idea of what Tyrod Taylor is.  One would think that after the Nationally Televised Playoff Game at Jacksonville, they would see what we’ve seen for years, but apparently not.  

AJ McCarron is basically a less mobile/better passing Tyrod Taylor aka “Game Manager”.  

If we start the season with AJ, here’s what I see:

- New OC

- New Game Manager at QB

- Potentially weaker OL

- Potentially stronger RB unit

- Similar Receivers

- Potentially stronger DL

- Potentially stronger LB unit

- Similar Secondary

If we start the season with Allen, all bets are off as that’s a high risk/high reward play (speaking in terms of this season only)

If talking heads want to doom us because they think our schedule is tough.  Ok, I get it.  We didn’t get worse though - On paper, I believe the 18/19 squad is much more talented than the 17/18 version.  

I agree that you would think the playoff game would have been an opportunity for lots of national pundits to really sit down and watch Tyrod, maybe for the first time.

And he was god awful in that game.  Blake Bortles wasn't any better!

One of the worst quarterbacked games of any type, let alone playoff games, I ever recall watching.

It's like a lot of these guys didn't watch the game.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

He said that he highly doubts we regress at that position.  I fully expect us to regress at the QB position this season.  I would think the majority of the football universe would agree.  Mccarron, meh.  Peterman, meh.  Allen, meh this season.  I hope I’m wrong, but I think it’s inevitbale 

I fully expect the Bills to be better than the 31st ranked passing attack.

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Let's forget about Tyrod a moment. Or, better yet, forever.

Do you feel the loss of Incognito and Wood is THAT severe an issue?

Wood no, Richie yes.

Bodine is equal to or better than Wood and IMO Groy is not too much of a drop from Richie. I don't think we will see much difference in on field play at all.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

...dunno....this practice reference today to "deep completions" scares the hell outta me......."deep" could be trespassing in uncharted waters IMO.....

5 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We were top 12 in scoring 2 of the past 3 years for chrissake

We were, thanks to the actual running game. Not QB yards from scrambles or broken plays.

What happened to the offense this year when the running game wasn't nearly as strong? 

Edited by PeterGriffin

5 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

I hope you’re right.  I just don’t think it’s going to happen unless A:  Daboll is the real deal, which is possible.  B:  we acquire another WR or Foster is a legit playmaker. ?  Josh allen is closer being a great QB than he is a prospect

looking at nfl rosters, which two teams will be 32 and 31?  The only team worse than us last year was Chicago.  I fully expect them to be improved.  They gave their QB the weapons that we’ll likely give to our QB next year. The browns have one of the top playmaking units in the league.  Jets or fins?  Maybe, but they were both better than us last year in that respect. Jags or dallas because they may run the ball 40 times a game.  I just don’t see any teams with as little talent as us offensively 

Edited by NewEra