Anyone miss the House they grew up in

Ice bowl 67

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Was the entire old Garden Village Plaza leveled? Last I heard..the old Hills was still standing.

Hills (prior to that it was "Grants") still standing... Looks like they will use, repurpose that.  Rest leveled... Where Vix was... Car wash gone.

What are they doing with the property.  Went to the "Olive Branch" for lunch w/my Brother & Daughter one day.  Nice Greek family restaurant... Old Denny's

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hills (prior to that it was "Grants") still standing... Looks like they will use, repurpose that.  Rest leveled... Where Vix was... Car wash gone.

What are they doing with the property.  Went to the "Olive Branch" for lunch w/my Brother & Daughter one day.  Nice Greek family restaurant... Old Denny's

Solid place for food...glad you enjoyed it there. The GVP property is being turned into a warehouse and office building.From what I heard..the office building is going to look pretty snazy. The crews will work through the winter...

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Poojer said:

My parents are still in the same house they bought when I was 3 in 1966.

My wife can say the same thing, except it was 1963. 

And we’ve been living about a mile away from them for the past 30+ years. 

I’ve lived in about six places for at least a year, plus a few shorter term rentals, plus college.

I’ve driven past most of them at least once, but I’ve never been back inside any of them. 

My Dad still owns the house and I try to get back home for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas

But I haven't slept in my old room for several years.  Before my Mom died of cancer she was moved in there to spend her last days and Dad ended up giving the bed away afterwards.  There's no way I could bring myself to ever sleep in that room again.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, eball said:

Nope.  The house I'm living in now is my favorite house ever and I plan to keep it for as long as I'm walking this earth.

You're in Durham, right?  New construction or one of the really old nice ones?

Some of those houses near the underclassmen place for Duke is nice.   I miss Monuts and that Mongolian buffett so much.

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

My Dad still owns the house and I try to get back home for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas

But I haven't slept in my old room for several years.  Before my Mom died of cancer she was moved in there to spend her last days and Dad ended up giving the bed away afterwards.  There's no way I could bring myself to ever sleep in that room again.

I can totally understand and relate to that. I’ll leave it at that. Everybody is different. That’s as it should be. 

Nope. I’ll be there tomorrow. My mom still lives there. She moved in with her parents in 1933.  She left for college met my dad, had three kids and bought it from my grandparents in the late 50’s and she’s lived there ever since. So it’s cool to visit the home that I grew up in and my aunts and uncles grew up in 80 years ago 

Grew up (9months to 14yrs) in a house in WNY before moving to Virginia. I drove past it once when I was 15, but now I’m 22 and would love to see that place again. Seems like a distant memory, but at other times it seems like just yesterday and I can almost still smell the place or hear the squeak of a door or the specific creak of a floor board. Wife was making chili the other night and the canned tomatoes she opened took me right back to summers of my aunt and mom canning in that old kitchen... nostalgia is a b——!

18 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

You're in Durham, right?  New construction or one of the really old nice ones?

Some of those houses near the underclassmen place for Duke is nice.   I miss Monuts and that Mongolian buffett so much.

Built it 13 years ago.  Right on the border between Durham and Chapel Hill; the location is perfect.  We started with a nice design and have slowly added things we wanted to add.  It's perfectly comfortable for us, so much so that given the choice of going out or staying in we frequently choose the latter.  Are there things I would like?  Sure (bigger garage, basement), but not badly enough to move or build again.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Built it 13 years ago.  Right on the border between Durham and Chapel Hill; the location is perfect.  We started with a nice design and have slowly added things we wanted to add.  It's perfectly comfortable for us, so much so that given the choice of going out or staying in we frequently choose the latter.  Are there things I would like?  Sure (bigger garage, basement), but not badly enough to move or build again.

you aren't kidding.  one of the reasons i bought our house was because of the garage.  i could not handle having a small garage anymore.

My parents moved out of the house right after I graduated high school. It's changed so much, the town too, but I still miss it from time to time. Been back twice to take pictures. 

3 hours ago, teef said:

you aren't kidding.  one of the reasons i bought our house was because of the garage.  i could not handle having a small garage anymore.

My current house has everything that was missing when I was growing up; a pool, garage, doesn't flood every year...

The only thing it doesn't have is the amazing mountain view, overlooking a golf course; can't get that in the city without a lot of $$$$

My parents still live in the house I grew up in.  They have since 1983.  We had it built for us so our family are the only ones who have ever lived in it. I know one day it will be someone else’s and that will be a sad day.  Watched many of the Bills’ most finest and most heartbreaking moments in that house.

4 hours ago, Talley56 said:

My parents still live in the house I grew up in.  They have since 1983.  We had it built for us so our family are the only ones who have ever lived in it. I know one day it will be someone else’s and that will be a sad day.  Watched many of the Bills’ most finest and most heartbreaking moments in that house.

Same with my father's house... Built in circa early 1960s...I was born in 1968... All I ever knew and probably why I don't move around too much. He still lives in.  Looks drastically different with remodels, additions, etc...

I have lived in 4 residences in 50 years.  Childhood home 24 years, 2 apartments... Then the last 21 years here. That leaves only 4 years of my life in those two apartments...

• Like (+1) 1