Dolphins will suspend and/or fine any player who displays anthem protest

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, you can get fired for protesting on your own time too.

In some cases..................................true, but we are talking about the NFL and (specifically) the Miami Dolphins.

That is NOT what they posted ...............as you know.

AP reporting that the Dolphins will enforce a new policy this season called the "Proper Anthem Conduct."

Players who protest on the field during the national anthem could be suspended up to 4 games, be hit with a fine or both.

They should just sing it twice.

"Please stand for the National Anthem if you respect our military."

"Please stand for the National Anthem if you're not protesting racial inequality, police brutality, or something you don't like about this country."

They'll get so sick of having to listen to it twice the players will stop protesting.

Just now, B-Man said:

In some cases..................................true, but we are talking about the NFL and (specifically) the Miami Dolphins.

That is NOT what they posted ...............as you know.

And the magic word in that statement is COULD.  It's not written as WILL.

And just so you're clear it's not some cases where an employers can fire you for exercising 1st Amendment rights.  It's any case.  

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Why ?  

Kneel because they wake up on million dollar balconies overlooking the ocean ? 

Or because Mike Brown stole some blunts and fought a store owner and cop ? 

Or because CNN said Trump ate a lot of ice cream ? 

It's funny how the right wants us to kiss the rings of the old, white rich and be thankful for everything they give us.

But when the rich are young black men, they're unappreciative of what is given to THEM.

The owners control the purse strings, but the players are the product. Their elite skills fill stadiums, not the business acumen of Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft.

This is ridiculous.  It seems to me that the easy solution to this problem would be for the league, which has a majority of black players, should recognize that there's a problem here.  In exchange for an agreement not to kneel during the anthem, players would be granted two 30s commercial spots per game to tell their story about just policing.  The NFL would pay for the spots.  They give up 2 beer commercials.  Each team can elect 2 spokesmen to cut the commercials with.  The first spot plays before kickoff featuring the home team's spokes person.  The 2nd spot before the halftime kickoff featuring the away team's spokesperson.  The players get to tell their story, the league empathizes with a social issue that's important to their players and many fans and all anthem related controversy is diffused.  

Why is this so hard??

I've been at Bills backers bars in multiple cities and NOBODY focuses on the anthem.  The outrage on this issue is absolute BS.  In one bar, they actually muted the anthem while it was playing and put on the Bills Shout song.  So this is a fake controversy through and through.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

It's funny how the right wants us to kiss the rings of the old, white rich and be thankful for everything they give us.

But when the rich are young black men, they're unappreciative of what is given to THEM.

The owners control the purse strings, but the players are the product. Their elite skills fill stadiums, not the business acumen of Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft.

Amen brother.

1 minute ago, cage said:

This is ridiculous.  It seems to me that the easy solution to this problem would be for the league, which has a majority of black players, should recognize that there's a problem here.  In exchange for an agreement not to kneel during the anthem, players would be granted two 30s commercial spots per game to tell their story about just policing.  The NFL would pay for the spots.  They give up 2 beer commercials.  Each team can elect 2 spokesmen to cut the commercials with.  The first spot plays before kickoff featuring the home team's spokes person.  The 2nd spot before the halftime kickoff featuring the away team's spokesperson.  The players get to tell their story, the league empathizes with a social issue that's important to their players and many fans and all anthem related controversy is diffused.  

Why is this so hard??

Because the billionaire overlords don't want the players message to be spread

3 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Good, hopefully the league finally shows some backbone and gets it's employees under control before they kill the league once and for all.

I hope that is a facetious joke.

I'm thinking it is not.

:mellow:

1 minute ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Their "message" is our constitutionally guaranteed right to freedom of speech/expression.

If we don't support that, there was no need to fight Nazi Germany in WWII, or the USSR for 50 years during the Cold War.

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

And the magic word in that statement is COULD.  It's not written as WILL.

And just so you're clear it's not some cases where an employers can fire you for exercising 1st Amendment rights.  It's any case.  

Yes...............you finally have it.

The Dolphins COULD fine or suspend you for On Field behavior, it is not automatic (as in WILL), but you are forewarned.

Just as in your second line, YES, an employer COULD fire you for exercising your first amendment rights, in any job, but (as you know) that is NOT what the Dolphins said.

Words (Magic or otherwise) mean things.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah the guys writing the checks tell the guys cashing the checks how to act while at work, just like every other job. 

Professional athlete isn't just any other job. If every player on the team protests this policy they can't just fire them all. God every time the NFL can let this story die they just have to do something to get it going again. Makes me wonder if they're making a lot of money on the controversy.

FTR - the act of sitting or kneeling through the anthem never crossed my mind until the current POTUS said "You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn't be playing. You shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country."  That's not what this country is about.  That's not what many founders of this country would have believed in.  Many founders of this country would have argued to their dying breath that such an assertion of federal and executive power flies in the face of the principles the country was founded upon.  There is a reason the Bill of Rights were the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution.  They weren't originally included and a large contingent of delegates refused to support the Constitution until they were included and moments like this are why they did that.  The NFL as a private employer has an issue with your behavior, fine.  When the government starts weighing in then it becomes an issue.  Obedience and fealty to tradition and symbolism are not what patriotism is about.

I still stand because it's what I choose to do, not because POTUS suggested I have to.  I still teach my children to stand because it what I believe is the right thing to do.  if one of them came to me and told me they didn't want to stand and the could give me a well thought out reason for doing so and a particular objective they were trying to achieve I'd support that.  I don't have to agree with them and I can still continue to make my own choice on how to behave.  I would also respect the spirit of what they were doing with the understanding that this country was made as much by people who cut across the grain of what was commonplace, expected, and tolerated by the majority as it was by those who fell in line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

If these players cared so much about making a difference why don't they go out and do something about it then.  Taking a knee or raising a fist doesn't do anything for a cause they are protesting.  Why don't they hit the streets and attempt to make a change first hand.  I know some of these guys do but the majority of them would just rather take a knee just to start a controversy.  If there is a problem one of these guys want fixed they should go out and help try to fix it because taking a knee won't solve any issue.  In fact all it does it create a bigger issue and divide people even further.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Professional athlete isn't just any other job. If every player on the team protests this policy they can't just fire them all. God every time the NFL can let this story die they just have to do something to get it going again. Makes me wonder if they're making a lot of money on the controversy.

I'm not sure how they could be, but rest assured, if they could make a nickel off the protest controversy, their policies would change to support it.  

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

All the media outlets are.  All of them.  On every side.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

This. If they have any self-respect at all, the whole team should kneel that first game. 

12 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Amen brother.

7 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Seems to be a common theme here.

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...laughable...if any one of us REAL working stiffs used our employer's platform to express political views, we'd all be colored "pink" in a nanosecond....Code of Conduct while in the "care, custody and control (ie. working hours)" of said EMPLOYER shall govern.....conduct outside those parameters shall be governed by the Laws of the State of_____....violations shall be dealt with accordingly"............

You can if you are part of the majority.

Back in 2006 while working at a deaf college there was a protest for access to information from the deaf community because hearing people were talking to each other in public without using sign language.  This was orchestrated by students but was the because of hearing faculty/staff telling them to do it because of their own agendas (many of the faculty came out and said it but nothing out of house was spoken).  The bigger problem was they were doing it regardless if you were in a public space or not.  If you were talking on your phone, they would put a tally on a big board for talking without signing.  In your office and someone walked by and saw you talking without signing, another tally on the big board.

Forums were held because of it.  Questions of prejudice came up.  Multiple deaf faculty/staff members stood in support of the protest and nothing happened to anyone.

Not much changed in the community between deaf and hearing people other than some tension that year (maybe 2) but all and all more should have been done because of it and nothing was.